Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

Bear in mind that some bosses have grab attacks that can't be blocked, and they usually really hurt and inflict bad status effects on you as well. Don't try to shield-tank Pursuer when his sword turns blue, for instance, or you'll get a nasty surprise.

Jeez man, I thought this was :darksouls:, if you're gonna give him tips about the boss then you should be required to use only the diction available to you with the ingame message system :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mans posted:

Started a mage run, which i think i never did before.

I'm kinda lost on how to level up. I stacked intelligence up the rear end (up to 45 now) and attunement to get four spell slots.

Should i just stack intelligence as much as possible?

What weapons can i get that scale off magic? I'm running around with a magic stick on the left hand and a dagger on the right since i haven't put a single point in STR or DEX :v:

I just finished a dual blue flame run. Did 40 int, 19 str/22 dex for the blue flame power stance, 40 vigor, 20 of most of the other relevant stats. Hexer hood for extra casts, whatever armor you like. What sucks is that you don't get the blue flame until relatively late in the game. Overall it wasn't very fun.

Instead of going to new game+ I'm just gonna start over and do dual caestus.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

Jeez man, I thought this was :darksouls:, if you're gonna give him tips about the boss then you should be required to use only the diction available to you with the ingame message system :colbert:

dodging required ahead otherwise tears

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

dodging required ahead otherwise tears

but hole ahead, weakness: rear

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

In that case run past them instead, it keeps your SM low and you don't have to spend any time dealing with them.

Yeah, but that's a risky proposition sometimes, especially near ledges.

Also it makes a great opening if you're using a slower weapon. clang-smash never gets old no matter how many times I do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHISHKABOB posted:

horse?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm super tempted to buy this now that its on sale, but I've heard there is a re-release around the corner. How far out is that thing?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Eonwe posted:

I'm super tempted to buy this now that its on sale, but I've heard there is a re-release around the corner. How far out is that thing?

April next year, so a fair distance off.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

May as well wait, $15 is a steal but the updated version will have better matchmaking, enemy AI, and graphics. Plus I believe it comes with the DLC.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Eonwe posted:

Also I heard* there is supposed to be a price option for people who already own the original base game, so it may well be cheaper to get this version for the cheap price and pay for the upgrade.

*Looking for a source now, don't take as gospel

E: Best source I've found - http://www.incgamers.com/2014/11/dark-souls-2-scholar-of-the-first-sin-why-pc-users-are-feeling-aggrieved

Looks like there is probably going to be an option, but there is no info yet on what it will be. Your call on whether to roll the dice or not.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 18, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Krowley posted:

Phalanx style shield poke is very situational but it's a nifty trick for a newbie run.

I used a shield + winged spear (with a falchion as a fallback weapon) for my first run, along with a shortbow (later a composite bow) to plink things down from a distance. It's a well-rounded setup.

Spear poke is why I was able to just slowly poke a big knight to death who was crowding a doorway (it was too fat to fit, but could sure as hell clips his sword through the walls trying to hit me), think "That wasn't so bad, at least I didn't try to force my way past him like an idiot" and then :staredog: at the literally 20+ bloodstains just past that doorway.

When I was actively playing this I didn't use spears much, but I always kept one around.

PS: +0 No upgrades Craftsman hammer thirsts for the blood of gargoyles, ruin sentinels, flexile sentry, and assorted other bosses.

PPS: Is the Barbed club cool yet?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Pate's Spear is super good for regular poking. The shield poke is very situational because of its high stamina cost but you'll be glad to have it some rare cases (like the fast-stabbing Usurper phantom, if you're wearing only light, low-poise armor it can kick your butt by stunlocking you really easily).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just parry the Usurper instead :smug:

but I mean that's what parries are for, to punish super aggressive attackers, or just highly predictable attackers in general.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Sure, but the shield poke is good for mitigating the risk, if you miss the parry you're probably dead or at least in much worse situation than before. I"m not good at parrying in DS2 so unless it's pretty safe I choose other methods of attack.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So I got this on PS3 originally, but as I am dad and dads do not get preference when it comes to the TV, I'm considering picking it up on steam during the sale. I heard there is some sort of expansion coming out in addition to the 3 dlc bits already released. Will it make sense to get the game now or will I have to rebuy something to get the expansion? Also are the dlc something that is a must have? Will this new expansion bundle the dlc?

Just as additional info, I did play DS1 up to like 300 hours on xbox, and enjoyed the prepare to die dlc. If that's important I don't know.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Inside Out Mom posted:

Will it make sense to get the game now or will I have to rebuy something to get the expansion? Also are the dlc something that is a must have? Will this new expansion bundle the dlc?
Depends (yes), yes, yes.

Assuming you mean the april version: probably depends if the changes and additions (which we don't know too much about yet) are worth waiting 4 months and probably paying full price (instead of 15 now) for you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It comes with the DLC. You should just wait, DS2 was on sale on PC for like a month before it was even out.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I finally pushed through the optional areas for the DLCs. I don't know why I bothered to even do them. All 3 were terrible boss runs that lead to terrible recycled bosses (the trio wasn't recycled as badly as the other two, but it was still a really bad fight) and all for terrible rewards. They were easily the lowest point in the entire game for me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mask of pharros :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Was lame, the real winner was the skirt. Shame it doesn't go with anything.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Manatee Cannon posted:

Was lame, the real winner was the skirt. Shame it doesn't go with anything.
Uhh.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Are their servers hosed up at the moment? I can't connect

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

how's the dark souls 1 port on pc? i've heard really bad things about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RedHotKick posted:

With DSFix, it's fine. Without it, it chugs really badly even on decent PC's.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RedHotKick posted:

there's a DS1 thread. I never played it on console. worked fine def play it, but yeah get DSfix and a controller

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

RedHotKick posted:

Varies greatly. It was near unplayable for me performance-wise, and you're not gonna want to play it without a controller unless you're really stubborn about it, like me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The dark souls 1 port is incredibly bad but can be made playable with a mod. The problem is that the recent migration to steam instead of GFWL seems to be causing lots of people to have unexplained problems right now, so it could be worth picking up on the steam christmas sale but waiting for a few months if you can't get it to work right.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I finally pushed through the optional areas for the DLCs. I don't know why I bothered to even do them. All 3 were terrible boss runs that lead to terrible recycled bosses (the trio wasn't recycled as badly as the other two, but it was still a really bad fight) and all for terrible rewards. They were easily the lowest point in the entire game for me.

I thought Sir Alonne felt fairly climactic and was the best out of them, but yeah the other three bosses were just terrible. Definitely didn't help my impression of the DLCs, and I was flat out appalled when I saw you didn't even get anything but a soul for killing the Boss You Just Fought x2.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Tae posted:

With DSFix, it's fine. Without it, it chugs really badly even on decent PC's.

I never had any problems with vanilla DS1.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I thought Sir Alonne felt fairly climactic and was the best out of them, but yeah the other three bosses were just terrible. Definitely didn't help my impression of the DLCs, and I was flat out appalled when I saw you didn't even get anything but a soul for killing the Boss You Just Fought x2.

While I guess the Crown of the Old Iron King DLC technically ends with the Fume Knight fight, I'd still consider Sir Alonne to be part of the critical path for the DLC. The co-op areas in the DLC are pretty distinct.

E: As for Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, I didn't really have problems with it either, once I figure out where I was loving up with DSfix. Just make sure you get DSfix and install/run it properly, and you should be golden (note that if you intend to run the game with a mouse&keyboard setup, you should get DSMfix, which is a separate mod from DSfix.)

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 19, 2014

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Another thing to note on the DS1 port is I personally recommend NOT setting it up to run at 60 fps. Physics are tied to it and there's a crucial jump that's extremely hard to land at 60 fps and a certain ladder that'll shoot you through the floor if you slide down it. Sometimes you have to go back and forth a bit to go up stairs and jumping overall feels a little heavier. Not a huge deal all around if you toggle it back to 30 fps at the crucial parts; IMO it was a better experience to just leave it at 30.

Another here that once I got DSFix set up right I spent a lot of hours in the PC version no prob.

Thanks for the heads up on waiting till endgame for the DLC, y'all. It was fun to have an excuse to crank through the game again. I knocked out the first DLC, which had some cool environments. The dragon boss kept getting free hits on me cause he has that animation that looks close enough to Kalameet to trigger muscle memory, but with completely different timing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sunken King's stuff felt a bit Pay to Win to me

Like, here, have a pile of five red eye orbs right at the start of the DLC so you can go on a griefing spree at non paying players' expense

Oh, and here's an OP shield you can bash people in the face with for huge damage with and no vulnerable frames. Oh and you can also cast every loving spell that isn't a pyromancy with it too. Well okay you can't parry with it but we didn't want to make it too ridiculous. Then you get the Fume Knight's greatsword in Iron King which has similar properties.

Oh but wait here's a ring that makes lightweight loadouts really powerful. Hope you ponied up for the DLC if you want that entire class of builds to shine!

e: can't forget the lake with all that sweet Dragon Bone walking around for the taking

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found myself with some red eye orbs so i decided to use them for the sake of it.

Invading people in the Black Gulch or Shrine of Amana feels so cruel yet so satisfying. One time i found a dude trying to kill the giants down there on the Gulch. I almost felt bad for him :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr Dog posted:

Sunken King's stuff felt a bit Pay to Win to me

You're overreacting, especially about the cracked orbs (seriously, five orbs doesn't go very far.) The items aren't that strong (they are endgame gear, though, don't get me wrong), and the DLC is also far and away the best content in the game.*

*With the caveat that the designated co-op areas are loving terrible.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Sorry, forgot about him. Sir Allone was actually a pretty good fight that kinda slipped my mind. I was mainly referring to the "Smelter Demon with the same basic moves and arena, but blue and with slightly different timings" fight when I was referring to CotIK.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So, people who have done a powerstance curved sword build, what was your preferred weapons? I've tried to do it a couple times but, I dunno, often it just seems like a better idea to just two hand one sword. Any favorite ways to do one?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Rusted Red Scimitar + a regular Scimitar, you can swing lots without expending too much endurance and the R2 is a neat midair windmill thing that can hit 2 or 3 times. I also poisoned up a pair of Falchions and used them to quickly apply poison, then switch back to the Scimitars for better damage.

teh_Broseph posted:

Another thing to note on the DS1 port is I personally recommend NOT setting it up to run at 60 fps. Physics are tied to it and there's a crucial jump that's extremely hard to land at 60 fps and a certain ladder that'll shoot you through the floor if you slide down it. Sometimes you have to go back and forth a bit to go up stairs and jumping overall feels a little heavier. Not a huge deal all around if you toggle it back to 30 fps at the crucial parts; IMO it was a better experience to just leave it at 30.

I always heard the best thing to do was to turn on frame unlocking, then 'unlock' it to 30.

I've never understood the bad rap the DS1 port got, I think it's perfectly fine. It always ran well for me, has hardly crashed in 3 years, came with the DLC for free and looks/runs slightly better than the console version right out of the box. There's really only 2 things you need to know:
1) It's a PS3 port so you should play it with... a PS3 (or similar) controller. It's possible to play KB+M but you're gonna have a bad time.
2) If you want to tweak the graphics beyond what is possible on the PS3, spend about 10 minutes reading through the config file for DSFix (which just put out an update for the Steamworks conversion so it should work again).
That's it! Enjoy one of the best games of the last 10 years I might be biased...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Frame unlocking at 30 is great but sadly it doesn't work with the debug exe :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speaking of framerate, I wonder is the durability issue will still be in Scholar of the First Sin?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What all have they said about it in the past? Do they talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of framerate, I wonder is the durability issue will still be in Scholar of the First Sin?

I really hope not, I've been pretty disappointed with FROM's maintenance of the PC release, especially since talking it up so much pre-release. I think DS2 has a worse PC release than the first game. Didn't one of the thread regulars make up a Cheat Engine script that fixed that bug in like 20 lines of code? It just seems like a fairly major oversight that is also relatively easy to correct, the fact that they still haven't done so in the current release is frustrating :(