Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

F. Lobot posted:

Metal blade has a 50% chance of poofing upon hitting the ground. If it poofs then I'm just wasting time.

It never poofs if you throw it straight down at your feet while on the ground (in order to pick it back up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ok I played a match as Megaman in the middle of a long set against a good player and I wrecked him. Megaman is officially S tier.

Crash Bomb and then forward smashing when they panic and run at you is great. Also dat uppercut.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just want to say that if you beat me pretty bad in For Glory and then I play you again and you beat me as the character that I was playing you can go gently caress yourself.

Where are the resources for brand new players to this series? I am getting destroyed and not having a lot of fun.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

prom candy posted:

I just want to say that if you beat me pretty bad in For Glory and then I play you again and you beat me as the character that I was playing you can go gently caress yourself.

Where are the resources for brand new players to this series? I am getting destroyed and not having a lot of fun.

A good way to get comfortable with a character is to play around with them in Training and figure out how all their moves work, including how far they reach, how quick they are to come out and how long you're vulnerable afterwards. A couple quick beginner pointers I would recommend are:

-- Learn to use your shield. You can shield instantly in three conditions: when you're standing in neutral, when you're running forward and just as you land from the air if you don't have any other landing lag. Notable details are if you let go of the stick while dashing and then hit shield you'll skid and shield later, but if you hold the stick down and shield you'll brake and shield immediately; and if you shield in the air you'll airdodge, and if you land on the ground before your airdodge recovery frames are up you'll get landing lag delaying your shield.

-- Know how to tilt and smash. You actually have three layers of normal attacks you can use: the neutral jab (without moving the stick in any direction, hit A), your tilts (either leaning the stick or gently tilting it to the outside and hitting A) and your smashes (quickly jam the stick in a direction and hit A at the same time). Characters all have different jabs- some will do a combo that ends with a finisher (Dedede) and others will just jab infinitely until you let go of the button (Pikachu). It takes a bit of a tempered hand to get your tilts to come out reliably, I think, but the're usually weaker but faster and safer than smash attacks, and are good defensive moves.

-- Use your aerials. If you want to approach someone and pressure them or apply damage but you don't want to stand still and attack a good way to do this is to do a short hop (very very quickly pressing the jump button) and then hit your normal attack button. You have five kinds of moves in the air: neutral, up, down, forward and back air moves, depending on which direction you tilt the stick in the air you'll do a different move, with different properties and generally will put a different hitbox on a different side of you. I think every character has at least one aerial move they can use in the air, land safely and quickly act out of without much or any recovery before they can act again, whether they want to shield, tilt, smash or grab.

-- Grab people and throw them. If someone is blocking your attacks figure out a way to move in and grab them, since you can grab through shields. Once you grab someone you can hit the attack button to pummel them for damage and/or hit any of the four cardinal directions to throw them.- down throws typically set people up for you to jump and attack them in the air, and side throws are a good way to heave them off the stage and force them to recover.

-- Be patient. If you overcommit or get overzealous people will see your attacks coming, block them and then attack you while you're vulnerable before you can attack again. People on For Glory seem to love to play passive, wait for you to attack and then shield and punish, so don't fall into that trap without a plan. A character with a projectile can harass someone and force them to come to you, then you can block their attacks and punish them.

I think that covers the absolute basics of how the game works. Try figuring out how a character actually moves and feels, and what everything actually does in Training and you'll have an easier time using them against a person online, since you'll know in advance what you're capable of.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Awesome, thank you! I'm having a hard time getting tilts to work reliably, a lot of the time I end up doing a smash or a... whatever you call the running move instead. What you're saying is I want to push the analog stick like half way in the direction I want to tilt for it to work right?

I think shielding is my number one problem, I'm getting beaten a lot by people who are doing the shield + punish thing. Another issue is that I just seem to be facing the wrong way like, most of the time. Is there a quick way to just change direction in place? Tapping back doesn't seem to always want to do it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Yeah you can tilt it about halfway but in the heat of battle I find I don't have that sort of precision, you can also delay the attack button input with a sort of tilt, press rhythm to get the tilt. If I'm holding forward when I come in to land from a jump it'll register as a tilt on the ground- one of my favorite approaches is a short jumping forward air and then I land and roll the stick down to the bottom and down-tilt. The Smash only comes out if you quickly move from neutral to the edge of the circle and hit A at about the same time, which is also a natural way of using the stick. It just takes some practice to acclimate to it but once you get the sense for it you can tilt and Smash on command, or come up with combos that lead into tilts since you'll already be holding the stick outside of neutral anyways, but either way its just a rhythm you have to develop.

If you roll away from your opponent (hold shield and hit a direction) you'll automatically roll to face them. Rolling is a mixed bag, don't rely on it too much because it's predictable and you're vulnerable in the last half of it, but it's a quick way to orient yourself. You can also just tap the stick in the other direction from neutral to turn around, but things can get very hectic and the roll will always right your orientation. It's also worth noting that your shield is limited, the longer you hold it the smaller it gets, but it recovers if you don't take damage or use it for a while. If you shield too much your shield will become less effective and you'll basically invite yourself to be grabbed. If you hold shield and hit down you'll do a spot dodge, which can be helpful to avoid getting grabbed but is very situational to use

Reiley fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 19, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

If I press right and attack on my controller and it comes out as a tilt, then god intended it to be a tilt. if it comes out as a smash, then it god intended it to be a smash.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Played Smash 4 with some friends and they all complained that it was kinda slow and floaty so I tried the heavy grav smooth landing thing.

I actually really enjoyed it, I think I'll set it up on everyone.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Okay. Right.

I have never played a Smash game before, apart from getting my rear end handed to me for five minutes about three years ago. I picked this up last night for Christmas/New Years group nonsense and gave it a go last night. What the hell is going on??? Everything is everywhere at once and nothing makes sense and WHY DID I WIN THAT WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Basically if anyone has any tips on getting good at/learning to play Smash Bros I'd really appreciate them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flint_Paper posted:

Okay. Right.

I have never played a Smash game before, apart from getting my rear end handed to me for five minutes about three years ago. I picked this up last night for Christmas/New Years group nonsense and gave it a go last night. What the hell is going on??? Everything is everywhere at once and nothing makes sense and WHY DID I WIN THAT WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Basically if anyone has any tips on getting good at/learning to play Smash Bros I'd really appreciate them.

Reiley posted:

A good way to get comfortable with a character is to play around with them in Training and figure out how all their moves work, including how far they reach, how quick they are to come out and how long you're vulnerable afterwards. A couple quick beginner pointers I would recommend are:

-- Learn to use your shield. You can shield instantly in three conditions: when you're standing in neutral, when you're running forward and just as you land from the air if you don't have any other landing lag. Notable details are if you let go of the stick while dashing and then hit shield you'll skid and shield later, but if you hold the stick down and shield you'll brake and shield immediately; and if you shield in the air you'll airdodge, and if you land on the ground before your airdodge recovery frames are up you'll get landing lag delaying your shield.

-- Know how to tilt and smash. You actually have three layers of normal attacks you can use: the neutral jab (without moving the stick in any direction, hit A), your tilts (either leaning the stick or gently tilting it to the outside and hitting A) and your smashes (quickly jam the stick in a direction and hit A at the same time). Characters all have different jabs- some will do a combo that ends with a finisher (Dedede) and others will just jab infinitely until you let go of the button (Pikachu). It takes a bit of a tempered hand to get your tilts to come out reliably, I think, but the're usually weaker but faster and safer than smash attacks, and are good defensive moves.

-- Use your aerials. If you want to approach someone and pressure them or apply damage but you don't want to stand still and attack a good way to do this is to do a short hop (very very quickly pressing the jump button) and then hit your normal attack button. You have five kinds of moves in the air: neutral, up, down, forward and back air moves, depending on which direction you tilt the stick in the air you'll do a different move, with different properties and generally will put a different hitbox on a different side of you. I think every character has at least one aerial move they can use in the air, land safely and quickly act out of without much or any recovery before they can act again, whether they want to shield, tilt, smash or grab.

-- Grab people and throw them. If someone is blocking your attacks figure out a way to move in and grab them, since you can grab through shields. Once you grab someone you can hit the attack button to pummel them for damage and/or hit any of the four cardinal directions to throw them.- down throws typically set people up for you to jump and attack them in the air, and side throws are a good way to heave them off the stage and force them to recover.

-- Be patient. If you overcommit or get overzealous people will see your attacks coming, block them and then attack you while you're vulnerable before you can attack again. People on For Glory seem to love to play passive, wait for you to attack and then shield and punish, so don't fall into that trap without a plan. A character with a projectile can harass someone and force them to come to you, then you can block their attacks and punish them.

I think that covers the absolute basics of how the game works. Try figuring out how a character actually moves and feels, and what everything actually does in Training and you'll have an easier time using them against a person online, since you'll know in advance what you're capable of.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Ah. Scrolling up. The true path to Smash Bros victory.

(On that note - do all the moves vary due to timing of button press/direction of stick? This is all totally new to me and the mechanics are baffling)

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 19, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Everything is based on "A or B plus a direction". Tilts vs smashes is gonna be the hardest thing to get down: I've been playing Smash since 64 and I still have trouble reliably executing tilts in battle.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Have you tried not sucking?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

Have you tried not sucking?

Which amiibo do I buy to unlock that feature?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I just set the right stick to tilts :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Looper posted:

I just set the right stick to tilts :shrug:

Yeah, that's what I've done too. My next idea is to set one of the shoulders to Jump, for ease of short hop aerials

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Setting it to tilts still allows you to do aerials, right?

There really isn't any downside to doing that, is there?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yup, hitting it in the air deploys an aerial attack

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

if you're playing robin then having it set to smash means you never have to worry about not getting a smash aerial out when you wanted one, but otherwise its just personal preference

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If it you're trying to get good to play online, it helps to stick with one character for a while to learn their ins and outs. Even though everyone has the same controls, they all play differently, even with their normal A moves. For example, Diddy's forward air is completely different than Donkey Kong's forward air and using them in the same way won't work out (a more extreme comparison is Megaman's uptilt vs Ganondorf's). "Enemy is above me, I'll push toward him and attack" will work in normal play and parties but won't get you very far otherwise.

Also items are cool but if you're just learning the game I'd turn them off or at least to low until you get a handle on the basics. There are a ton of items and some of them are really powerful and I find on normal frequency they kind of dominate the gameplay.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
A good way to learn characters: Go into Smash, set it up for 5 stocks and no items, put the CPU to 9 and a random character, you choose random too, and do the omega random. It forces you to mess around with characters you normally wouldn't on a simple stage without items getting in the way.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Playing against a CPU is never a good idea in any sort of fighting game. You're better off just getting your rear end kicked online and then watching your replays to improve. There really is no way around getting good besides just losing over and over.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's not so much getting good with the character, so much as it is just getting a feel for the character.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Louisgod posted:

A good way to learn characters: Go into Smash, set it up for 5 stocks and no items, put the CPU to 9 and a random character, you choose random too, and do the omega random. It forces you to mess around with characters you normally wouldn't on a simple stage without items getting in the way.

This is really loving stupid especially in this game where the CPU just reads your inputs, you're only building bad habits to get around the AI's bullshit which won't apply when you're playing actual people.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is really loving stupid especially in this game where the CPU just reads your inputs, you're only building bad habits to get around the AI's bullshit which won't apply when you're playing actual people.

I said it's a good way to learn characters, not be the very best like no one ever was you turd!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heeeeyyyy my GameCube adapter's come in!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Louisgod posted:

This is actually a pretty good suggestion, and is how I trained myself on the 3DS version. Plus, it doesn't just help you learn how to USE characters - when you know a character's timings and properties well enough to win WITH them, you get better at winning AGAINST them, too.

Flint_Paper posted:

(On that note - do all the moves vary due to timing of button press/direction of stick? This is all totally new to me and the mechanics are baffling)

The main distinction you have to worry about is the distinction between "tilting" and "smashing". All moves (with very, VERY few exceptions) in Smash consist of one directional input + one button-press. However, the game pays attention to two different KINDS of directional input: "Tilting" and "Smashing".

To understand the difference intuitively, you might want to go into Training Mode with a character with very distinct moves. (I suggest the Villager - all of their moves are very distinct from one another, animation-wise, so it'll help you recognize whether you're doing tilts or smashes, as well as discerning your aerial moves from one another.) But the basics are:

"Tilting" lets you walk, perform "strong attacks" on the ground, adjust your shield position (really don't worry about that bit), throw opponents that you've grabbed, crouch, and chose your aerial attacks. To "tilt", just... tilt the (left) control stick in the direction you want to attack/move/throw/whatever. As long as the analogue stick doesn't slam into the outer plastic ring, the game will register the input as a tilt, no matter HOW fast you move the stick; alternately, if you're having trouble NOT hitting the outer ring, moving the stick more slowly will also produce a "tilt" input.

"Smashing" is the opposite. Smashing lets you RUN, perform "smash attacks" on the ground, roll (forwards, back, or spot-dodge) while shielding, jump (if "tap jump" is enabled for your control profile; you should turn it off, though), drop down through pass-through platforms, and enter a "fast falling" state while in the air. Smash inputs ALSO allow you to perform aerial attacks, but with one exception (Robin), this does not alter the properties of any aerial attacks compared to a tilt input. To SMASH the stick, slam it quickly in the desired direction, all the way to the point where it can't go any further.

Both Tilt and Smash inputs also allow you to select which of your Special Moves (B-button by default) you perform. Each character has four special moves, selected by hitting UP, to the SIDE, DOWN, or keeping the stick in NEUTRAL. Generally, Up-specials are recovery moves that, in conjunction with your character's midair jump(s), help you to return to the stage after being launched. Oftetimes, Side-specials also can aid in recovery. Every character is different, though! Unlike ground- or aerial-based attacks, characters can use all of their special moves in midair OR on the ground, although some special moves have distinct behaviors depending on whether they are used on the ground or in midair.

On the ground, each of a character's three "SMASH attacks" (upsmash, side-smash, and down-smash) can also be "charged up" for up to one second in order to increase their damage output and launching power. Of course, while charging your smash attack, you're vulnerable to enemy interruption.

In addition, the RIGHT analogue stick is (by default) a sort of "macro" for performing Smash attacks on the ground, and aerial attacks (excluding "neutral"-aerals) while in midair. Just flick the right stick in the direction you want to attack. (In addition to ease-of-use, this also enables you to perform aerial attacks in any direction while not affecting your movement (or lack theirof) through the air!)

The most important thing to understand is that Smash Bros is unlike basically all other fighting games. The knockback-based KO system, the open stages, the simplicity of inputs, and the maneuverability of characters are all totally different from more... claustrophobic games like Street Fighter or Marvel. You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Smashing on some specials can also have properties, depending on the special: Samus for example fires a straight, powerful missile if you smash her side special, while smashing Luigi's Green Missile allows you to start the missile at a slight charge which cuts down on the time used to charge it up to max power and range and lets you fly further with it faster..

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've gotten pretty good with my custom Yoshi at doing a crazy orders run and easily getting 10-11 runs in before feeling compelled to beat Crazy Hand (note: Yoshi's aerial down still wrecks Crazy Hand, as it has in every smash game). Equip him with the vampire brawn badge from Lucina's cruel melee achievement and lifesteal the crap out of enemies. I was excited since I got a run of 4 CDs. 3 of theose CDs all ended up being Ike's Theme though :shepface:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Just completed Intense on 9.0 with Villager. I hate Master Core.

Is Villager actually good? I 'm a bit worried since he has a terrible matchup against anyone with a reflector ([Dr.] Mario, Fox/Falco, [Dark] Pit, Palutena), but I'm definitely the best with him. I could swap back to Toon Link if he's better, but then I wouldn't get to kill people with a tree.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

Just completed Intense on 9.0 with Villager. I hate Master Core.

Is Villager actually good? I 'm a bit worried since he has a terrible matchup against anyone with a reflector ([Dr.] Mario, Fox/Falco, [Dark] Pit, Palutena), but I'm definitely the best with him. I could swap back to Toon Link if he's better, but then I wouldn't get to kill people with a tree.

If someone reflects your projectile, pocket it back and use it when they don't expect! Turn that weakness into a strength!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

To whoever suggested using the c-stick for tilts: gently caress you that sucked. I mean it was mostly me not being used to it at all but I also found it was way less responsive. That's a shame because like 3/4 of the time when I use megamans up tilt I end up jumping and using the tornado instead

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

To whoever suggested using the c-stick for tilts: gently caress you that sucked. I mean it was mostly me not being used to it at all but I also found it was way less responsive. That's a shame because like 3/4 of the time when I use megamans up tilt I end up jumping and using the tornado instead

turn off tap-jump.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OmegaGoo posted:

I could swap back to Toon Link if he's better, but then I wouldn't get to kill people with a tree.

Picking up absurd things and putting them in your pocket is the absolute best thing about smash4. Grabbing a blue shell out of the air as it's about to hit you is immensely satisfying.

Also, stick jumping 4lyfe

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Trent posted:

Picking up absurd things and putting them in your pocket is the absolute best thing about smash4.

That little fucker can pocket almost anything - it's really hilarious sometimes. My favorite, visually, is pocketing the giant tornado that the stone sword item summons when you do a smash attack.

One big downside to Villager, actually, is that so much stuff is pocketable that unpocketable things can take you by surprise. Probably 25% of my villager deaths are from trying to pocket unpocketable things - the rocket item as it falls back to earth, Robin's fully-charged lightning blast attack, various attacks in final smashes, etc.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think every competitive player is on For Glory today :negative:

I wish For Fun wasn't so laggy trying to accommodate 4 players

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Polo-Rican posted:

One big downside to Villager, actually, is that so much stuff is pocketable that unpocketable things can take you by surprise. Probably 25% of my villager deaths are from trying to pocket unpocketable things - the rocket item as it falls back to earth, Robin's fully-charged lightning blast attack, various attacks in final smashes, etc.

Thoron is totally pocketable.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, that's what I've done too. My next idea is to set one of the shoulders to Jump, for ease of short hop aerials

This is a good idea in general that I will be implementing shortly as I have practically broken the X button on three controllers now with the flicking motion you have to do to execute a short-hop reliably and quickly.

Thanks for not putting jump and short-hop as two separate bind-able options in controller settings Nintendo :confused:

For the record I have no problem landing tilts/smashes 100% of the time I want them respectively, and don't even need to turn off tap up to jump.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

Heeeeyyyy my GameCube adapter's come in!

Would that be Xenoblade in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I really love playing Shulk but he doesn't mesh at all well with the game engine. People playing defensively nullifies most of what you can do unless you go Monado Speed, which kills your damage and is really hard to control online anyway. Good thing Captain Falcon is both fun and good again and excels at chasing down campers.

• Locked thread