Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It also has Norio Wakamoto as god, which is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

ViggyNash posted:

Dumb writing, not funny, and actively and aggressively retarded. There are far better battle royale shows, if that's what you wanted.

Such as?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Fat_Cow posted:

Such as?

Fate/Zero?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fat_Cow posted:

How is Mirai Nikki?

As a battle show it's okay, but if you want one of the like 5 animes where the romance thing actually just happens (though probably in the most unhealthy example of it ever) without any serious interference, it's certainly one way to get that fix.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What is God Sider? I saw it in that Game Center CX Jump All-Stars episode and I'm curious

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Mirai Nikki is ok as long as you turn your brain off. Don't expect things to make sense. If you do end up liking it, make sure you watch the OVA as it kind of completes the main TV run.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It makes perfect sense though. Aside all the other things you could legitimately ding the show for, it foreshadows the poo poo out of everything and follows a consistent internal logic. It's not even like it's subtle about it!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's better, the Saint Seiya anime or manga

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What's better, the Saint Seiya anime or manga

I'd say the anime. It scraps a few of the dumber plot points from the manga, is all around well directed, and is one of the most colorful anime I've ever seen. It also has a legitimately good filler arc, a rarity in shonen action shows. I haven't seen the OVAs that cover the final arc of the manga so I can't really speak to their quality, but they're directed by one of the show directors so they're probably fine.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd say the anime. It scraps a few of the dumber plot points from the manga, is all around well directed, and is one of the most colorful anime I've ever seen. It also has a legitimately good filler arc, a rarity in shonen action shows. I haven't seen the OVAs that cover the final arc of the manga so I can't really speak to their quality, but they're directed by one of the show directors so they're probably fine.

I'm not nearly as much of a fan as I used to be back in the day (never got around to checking out Saint Seiya Omega), but I would mostly agree with the above. It's worth mentioning that the soundtrack is legitimately excellent. If there's one thing about Saint Seiya that I'll always recommend, no matter what, it's got to be the music. Definitely elevates the whole experience. The rest depends on the viewer's tolerance and/or taste for repetitive shounen fighting formulas. The Asgard arc is indeed pretty cool, but some of the earlier filler episodes are predictably dreadful.

The anime adaptation of Hades is split into three sets of OAVs and only the first of those is particularly impressive. The other two had a different director and what appeared to be a lower budget . Still worth watching if you want to see how it all ends, but you can tell that the project wasn't a priority by then.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

To play Devil's advocate, isn't the manga more influential than the anime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

To play Devil's advocate, isn't the manga more influential than the anime

That's hard to say, both were incredibly popular and left their own marks on the industry. The anime helped popularize pretty boy action stuff and lead to stuff like Ronin Warriors and Gundam Wing. The manga influenced a generation of creators and shaped the shonen battle genre. Both the anime and the manga were popular enough to both have spin-offs and sequels to this very day. I think that the anime is the more enjoyable of the two, for what it's worth.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I recently started dating a girl who is absolutely head over heels for Yu Yu Hakusho. What would be a good show for her to transition to? She hates watching stuff with subtitles, so something with a decent dub would definitely be preferred. She enjoys things with a slight horror bent, if that helps any.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Comedy answer: Bleach.

Non-comedy answer: does Parasyte have a dub yet? I don't think so since it's fairly recent (still ongoing, as a matter of fact). Otherwise maybe Noein, or Madoka?

(I have no clue which shows have dubs since I don't live in an English-speaking country.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Not a Children posted:

I recently started dating a girl who is absolutely head over heels for Yu Yu Hakusho. What would be a good show for her to transition to? She hates watching stuff with subtitles, so something with a decent dub would definitely be preferred. She enjoys things with a slight horror bent, if that helps any.

Has she seen or read Hunter x Hunter? I don't know how the dub is, but I'm pretty sure one exists, and the show itself is like YYH but slightly better in every way. (Same author, but written when he was more experienced and after he got his publishers to back off a little re: creative control.)

e: You want the 2011 show. I've never seen the earlier one so I have no idea how good it is, only that it ends early and takes some pretty major liberties.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 22, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist perhaps? That would still be a bit shounen-y without being entirely about the battles.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. If they've seen that, try Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater,

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

She has explicitly stated that she doesn't like Fullmetal Alchemist (though she hasn't seen Brotherhood, maybe I can get her to like it).

Hunter x Hunter is a great suggestion, I saw my brother watching it last year and it seemed pretty good. I'll give it a shot!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Note that there is not a dub for Hunter x Hunter. It owns, but it does take a while to really show off how cool it is. But yea, no dub.

I don't know if someone who didn't like the first Fullmetal Alchemist would like Brotherhood, it's a little less broody and doesn't take itself as seriously but it's still basically the same show.

Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater are definitely worth a try, though, as horror themed shonen action series.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My 2 cents is that I prefer regular FMA to Brotherhood because I think that story has to take itself seriously to work. Also, I remember showing the dub to family members and them being entranced by how good and deep it was

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

My 2 cents is that I prefer regular FMA to Brotherhood because I think that story has to take itself seriously to work. Also, I remember showing the dub to family members and them being entranced by how good and deep it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4Oc2LBZCE

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

"We're having stew tonight!"
"gently caress YEAAAAAAAH!"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Most of that isn't anything special, but I cracked up at the bit at 4:45.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nothing will ever top the berserk outtakes

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I lost it at "I think we should bring mom back"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tarodia posted:

I lost it at "I think we should bring mom back"

My other favorite is Al saying "How about I push you off this roof and break your arms and legs?"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are some good Christmas animes?

Please don't recommend Gundam 0080.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sakurazuka posted:

Tokyo Godfathers.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

nothing will ever top the berserk outtakes

well yeah, but that's the cowboy bebop of dub outtake reels so it's not really a fair comparison.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Big O Episode 11

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

O poo poo, you're right, time to watch Big O again. It's showtime!

Chas McGill posted:

Tokyo Godfathers.

This too.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Neo Ranga?

Episode 79 of Urusei Yatsura.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K-on!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Clannad After Story has an awesome Christmas episode. And one... well other Christmas episode.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Ping Pong has a christmas episode

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Not a Children posted:

Tokyo Majin has a dub. It's, uh, not a good one but it does exist. First ep is on Youtube officially if you want to take a look at it. It's not a terribly good show unless you really want generic Shonen with a really strong horror bent and weird emphasis on Buddhist mysticism.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for something to scratch a pretty specific interest I have: "meat grinder" type of stuff. Bunch a' monsters, bunch a' red shirts. I like the idea of groups of characters squaring off against monster-of-the-week fare with the idea that any single threat could wipe out everyone. Enemies are usually poorly understood, and oftentimes their appearance is completely deceptive to their actual threat level. I enjoy stuff like: Claymore, Terra ForMars, Gantz, Bokurano, and Attack on Titan.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Knights of Sidonia may scratch that itch, the entire thing so far is up on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that a good one. Maybe read the manga of it first,.

• Locked thread