Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ddraig posted:

Mass Effect 2 has Mordin doing Gilbert and Sullivan. Clearly it is the best.

When he starts singing it in ME3 while implementing the genophage cure...the feels. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Davincie posted:

i beat me1 three times, me2 two times and me3 once. they were all pretty good

Hell, I mostly agree.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Ahundredbux posted:

Is it a better and more interesting version of the X-series

There's no building factories and sperging over production lines, but there's lots of space truckin' and the combat is streets ahead of X's. NPC interactions are pretty much non-existent, and there's not much there in the way of a plot. It's pretty barebones right now, but the trade simulation and combat is remarkably well done.

Honestly, I'd give it 6-12 months if you're looking to measure it against X2 or X3. It's still under heavy development, despite the recent launch.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
way less ships and not so much in the big ship category

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Yeah, that too. You'll spend a lot of time being a filthy spacepoor as well, so you'll only have access to 4-5 different ships for ages.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
A better question is perhaps: is it less spergy and more arcade-y?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It can be, but it is kinda limited. Ok first there is flight assist which you can turn off.

You can get neat poo poo like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

But then most of the time you fly around space, you ain't going to see a player if you went far from the start, and if you want to fight npcs sure, ok.

There are signals you find flying through space and if you enter one it is like a random encounter. Could be a trader, military convoy, bunch of pirates, or something like a bunch of canisters.

You can scan people to see if they have warrants and then just blow them up and go get your money.

There are also nav beacons and resource mining areas that also act like random encounter areas.

Some times npcs try to knock you out of super cruise or you can do the same to them to ambush them.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
liked everything about 3 except the final assault

i felt like it suffered from xenogears syndrome where the weight of its first act crushed its conclusion

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i bet it was just one guy in the me3 design team that was responsible for all the dumb poo poo in that game. the rest of the team was designing encounters and new enemies and jeff the dumbass thought up kai leng and remade the journal

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kai Leng IS a pretty stupid character, trying to think up some strategies for how I can mentally block him out of the plot when I replay ME3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The flaws in the ending (and I *like* the ending) were clearly things that resulted from high-level failures in project management- it felt rushed, and it didn't connect well enough to the rest of the game. There was a story of I think the lead writers (or directors, didn't remember) locking themselves into a room and hammering out the ending- this was portrayed as egotism by a lot of the community, but that isn't a sign of egotism- it's a sign of panic. It's what you do when the game's shipping soon and you still don't have a working ending.

The game was obviously rushed and that's on the project directors- but at the same time, it was funny to see people call for the firing of Walters/Hudson when they were the same people who made Mass Effect 2, which everyone liked. Sometimes competent people gently caress up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Kai Leng IS a pretty stupid character, trying to think up some strategies for how I can mentally block him out of the plot when I replay ME3.

I think with a little more finesse he could have been much better as a chickenshit rear end in a top hat who only beats you by cheating. There's already a bit of evidence that this was his intended role, but he does come across too much as someone's Mary Sue.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Hey guys Wasteland 2 is really good and there's no Kai Leng .

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

how about : play a better game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's impossible, as Mass Effect 3 is the greatest game of all time.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

TheHoosier posted:

Hey guys Wasteland 2 is really good and there's no Kai Leng .

i cannot bring myself to pay 15 dollars for it but i will buy it when its a deeper cut hoosier i promise

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Alain Post posted:

That's impossible, as Mass Effect 3 is the greatest game of all time.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/mass-effect-3

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/super-mario-galaxy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The flaws in the ending (and I *like* the ending) were clearly things that resulted from high-level failures in project management- it felt rushed, and it didn't connect well enough to the rest of the game. There was a story of I think the lead writers (or directors, didn't remember) locking themselves into a room and hammering out the ending- this was portrayed as egotism by a lot of the community, but that isn't a sign of egotism- it's a sign of panic. It's what you do when the game's shipping soon and you still don't have a working ending.

The game was obviously rushed and that's on the project directors- but at the same time, it was funny to see people call for the firing of Walters/Hudson when they were the same people who made Mass Effect 2, which everyone liked. Sometimes competent people gently caress up.

As I recall the writing team was spinning their wheels having scrapped the leaked Dark Energy script (which was equally bad) and R/G/B was what they came up with on what was probably a lot of coke and no sleep. Then much as a child breaks his toys when they displease him, so did goons turn upon their beloved franchise's creators with pages and pages of bitter wistfulness and homicidal ideation. It's kind of a shame ME3 was as rushed as it was, you can very easily see where they had to cut corners, but many of the individual moments were great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

how about : play a better game

The problem is: There are only, like, 5 games better than Mass Effect 3 and I don't feel like playing any of them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

As I recall the writing team was spinning their wheels having scrapped the leaked Dark Energy script (which was equally bad) and R/G/B was what they came up with on what was probably a lot of coke and no sleep. Then much as a child breaks his toys when they displease him, so did goons turn upon their beloved franchise's creators with pages and pages of bitter wistfulness and homicidal ideation. It's kind of a shame ME3 was as rushed as it was, you can very easily see where they had to cut corners, but many of the individual moments were great.

My favorite behavior was treating every singe action or statement by anyone involved with the game as a personal insult (the most common phrasing was "this is a slap in the face to the fanbase"). I also learned that anyone on the forum, or any forum, who had one of the blue sex alien ladies as their avatar, was loving psychotic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

My favorite behavior was treating every singe action or statement by anyone involved with the game as a personal insult (the most common phrasing was "this is a slap in the face"). I also learned that anyone on the forum, or any forum, who had one of the blue sex alien ladies as their avatar, was loving psychotic.

Haha yes, let's all have good chuckle at the Tali sweat guy, what a loser right? Now, if you'll allow me to post a highly detailed explanation of what I believe happens physiologically when you mindfuck an asari.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember when someone posted a really long post about them trading the Mass Effect trilogy into Gamestop so they could buy Chipotle

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Alain Post posted:

Remember when someone posted a really long post about them trading the Mass Effect trilogy into Gamestop so they could buy Chipotle

lol

seems like if you felt the triology was a slap in the face, that trading it in for chipotle so you can poo poo glass for an hour is probably not a good decision but this is a goon soo

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so i really really love l4d2 and have spent more than i think 300 hours playing it

will i like evolve? i didn't play that beta but it sounds like it was a real poo poo show. what's the word in the inner circle of game information

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AwkwardKnob posted:

Hey guys, it's been a while. Some 2800+ posts since I was last in here wailing and gnashing my teeth about the ending and how the extended cut wasn't really much better but was sort of like having a better CHASER to take your shot of Mallort with, but I digress.

Yesterday I was taking a break from playing the Walking Dead game (which is a lot of fun actually) and noticed my copy of Mass Effect 3 sitting unused and forgotten on the shelf. I decided to take a look at the DLC out for this game since the extended ending cut, and I saw there was Leviathian, a poo poo-ton of multiplayer things, and the Omega stuff, etc etc

Well I thought long and hard about firing the game up and getting all that DLC just to check it all out. It's been months and I haven't really worried about Mass Effect in any way, and ....nope. It was the final test of my spirit yesterday, and the spirit has failed me. I officially just no longer care about playing this series. I know I'm just some guy on the Internet to all of you, but lots of my friends who know me are aware of how gay I was for Mass Effect all the way up through most of the third one when I had first played it. Never in a million years back then would I have ever wagered that my enjoyment of it all could have been dismantled so much.

But here I am. I traded in my copy of Mass Effect 2 and 3 and took the cash and bought Chipotle for lunch. It was a lot of fun coming in here when ME3 came out first. We had some laughs, some cries, and it was an enjoyable journey for the most part. But you know, I've played through ME2 like a dozen times, and I really don't need it anymore, and I have no interest in playing ME3 again. So that's that.

I'm glad most of you can enjoy yourselves still, or for some reason still enjoy coming in here to bitch about it, but I'm going to move on to greener pastures of gaming and try something new.

Farewell Mass Effect. Always in my heart, Shep. Despite what they did to you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hubris.height posted:

so i really really love l4d2 and have spent more than i think 300 hours playing it

will i like evolve? i didn't play that beta but it sounds like it was a real poo poo show. what's the word in the inner circle of game information

evolve sucks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

AwkwardKnob posted:

Hey guys, it's been a while. Some 2800+ posts since I was last in here wailing and gnashing my teeth about the ending and how the extended cut wasn't really much better but was sort of like having a better CHASER to take your shot of Mallort with, but I digress.

Yesterday I was taking a break from playing the Walking Dead game (which is a lot of fun actually) and noticed my copy of Mass Effect 3 sitting unused and forgotten on the shelf. I decided to take a look at the DLC out for this game since the extended ending cut, and I saw there was Leviathian, a poo poo-ton of multiplayer things, and the Omega stuff, etc etc

Well I thought long and hard about firing the game up and getting all that DLC just to check it all out. It's been months and I haven't really worried about Mass Effect in any way, and ....nope. It was the final test of my spirit yesterday, and the spirit has failed me. I officially just no longer care about playing this series. I know I'm just some guy on the Internet to all of you, but lots of my friends who know me are aware of how gay I was for Mass Effect all the way up through most of the third one when I had first played it. Never in a million years back then would I have ever wagered that my enjoyment of it all could have been dismantled so much.

But here I am. I traded in my copy of Mass Effect 2 and 3 and took the cash and bought Chipotle for lunch. It was a lot of fun coming in here when ME3 came out first. We had some laughs, some cries, and it was an enjoyable journey for the most part. But you know, I've played through ME2 like a dozen times, and I really don't need it anymore, and I have no interest in playing ME3 again. So that's that.

I'm glad most of you can enjoy yourselves still, or for some reason still enjoy coming in here to bitch about it, but I'm going to move on to greener pastures of gaming and try something new.

Farewell Mass Effect. Always in my heart, Shep. Despite what they did to you.

Ahahahaha

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

AwkwardKnob posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Post the most hosed up Shepard faces you can make in the character creator.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I hope that replaying Persona 4 on easy means that I'll actually be finish it this time

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Post the most hosed up Shepard faces you can make in the character creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fRuoMIfpw

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I finished ME3 earlier this year and I liked it overall. I already knew the ending was going to be disappointing, but the extended cut made it mediocre rather than atrocious. When I finished and looked at the original ending on youtube I could understand why people would be mad after spending 60 bucks pre-ordering when it got released. I never took the ME series' storyline very seriously, the whole series was just good dumb fun for me. I think the thing I disliked the most about ME3, other than Kai Leng blahblahblah, was that the renegade options consisted mostly of screwing over close friends for no real reason. As if a renegade character would ever betray Wrex for the help of some wimpy rear end alien species.

Anyway ME3 had Citadel so it was worth it to me for that DLC alone.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm even if they rushed the game I bet the romance side-quests were super polished though, right?

Heeeeheeeheee

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ME dating is worse than the most shameless harem anime.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ahundredbux posted:

Hmm even if they rushed the game I bet the romance side-quests were super polished though, right?

Heeeeheeeheee

They were actually cool and good especially the gay ones

Bioware is pushing the gay agenda hard which is kind of admirable since it makes nerds real mad

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the trans section in dragon age felt very awkwardly paternal

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the gay agenda

1) shepard/wrex

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't mind the intent but Bioware is bad at gay characters IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

hmm yes they are very progressive *stares at miranda's rear end all game*

• Locked thread