Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

at least now that goons are on the case it will be solved soon :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Try it with objects at your desk, pieces of paper and whatever else you've got. Your two "exits" are going to be approximately the same size as your middle unless you do some really, really weird twisting in an attempt to do it on purpose.

It's possible for your innermost "ring" to be narrower, yes, but pressure from the inside can expand it to match. I'm seriously confused how you think that the opening of a non-stretchy, semi-rigid material can be significantly smaller than an object stored inside when rolled from one end.

You are literally the dumbest person in the world, holy poo poo. It is so very simple to understand how you can have a bulge in the middle and still have the ends be narrow that I wonder if you've ever left your mother's basement and interacted with objects in the real world.

And before you spout off LOL THE ENDS ARE THE SAME SIZE AS THE MIDDLE - it would be trivial to wind the outsides more tightly. It is also trivial to imagine that you could do a less extreme version of this with a smaller, or longer object in the center so that the ends were only a little more tightly wound than the middle.

Am I misunderstanding your point, or are you just completely unable to comprehend three dimensional shapes?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

You are literally the dumbest person in the world, holy poo poo. It is so very simple to understand how you can have a bulge in the middle and still have the ends be narrow that I wonder if you've ever left your mother's basement and interacted with objects in the real world.

And before you spout off LOL THE ENDS ARE THE SAME SIZE AS THE MIDDLE - it would be trivial to wind the outsides more tightly. It is also trivial to imagine that you could do a less extreme version of this with a smaller, or longer object in the center so that the ends were only a little more tightly wound than the middle.

Am I misunderstanding your point, or are you just completely unable to comprehend three dimensional shapes?

Are you seriously comparing a sweet wrapper to a wrestling mat

I have no dog in this fight and the case itself is barely interesting never mind scary or unnerving, but you can't roll a wrestling mat into a tube, with some large object in the centre of said tube, and have one end be significantly narrower than the other, and I'm struggling to understand why so few of you are grasping that.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Welp, Wikipedia's featured article today certainly fits the bill. Murder and rape of a 14 year old girl who is subsequently victim blamed by the media. :mad:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Are you seriously comparing a sweet wrapper to a wrestling mat

I have no dog in this fight and the case itself is barely interesting never mind scary or unnerving, but you can't roll a wrestling mat into a tube, with some large object in the centre of said tube, and have one end be significantly narrower than the other, and I'm struggling to understand why so few of you are grasping that.

I have seen it done before, so I don't know why you and one other person keep claiming that it can't happen?

edit: Plus the other guy said you couldn't do it with anything, and even suggested trying to use paper to show that it couldn't happen.

Disregarding all of that, peoples' shoulders can hunch inward and become smaller than their full width, thus negating this whole thing even further than actual geometry does all on its own.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Dec 18, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

I have seen it done before, so I don't know why you and one other person keep claiming that it can't happen?

Well if you say you saw it, that's evidence enough for me lol. I'm not that fussed.

That Leigh Leigh link is of the worst things I've seen in this thread or the other threads like this. Read with caution.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

edit: Plus the other guy said you couldn't do it with anything, and even suggested trying to use paper to show that it couldn't happen.

I just want to point out that he specifically said it couldn't be done unless you twisted the ends, as your sweet wrapper proved, ironically.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inokashira_Park_dismemberment_incident

quote:

In the morning April 23, 1994, in a trash can in Inokashira Park in Tokyo, a park worker discovered two hands, two feet, a right shoulder, an ankle and scattered pieces of flesh and bone, totaling 24 pieces of a human body, in a waste disposal bag. The head, chest, and genitals have never been found.
The body was determined to be that of a top-class architect “S” (age 35), who was last seen alive at roughly 10PM on the previous evening. Unconfirmed reports claimed that someone resembling "S" was accosted by two men around midnight on April 23, and two men entered the park around 4:00AM on April 23.

The body was cut into 1-centimeter slices using an electric saw, and the muscle was carefully cut away. After this, the body was carefully washed and drained of all its blood; this would require the skills of a highly trained medical doctor. The body was not battered and there were no traces of drugs, so the cause of death could not be determined. There were slight traces of internal bleeding in the muscle, indicating that the man may have been cut while still alive.

Every friend and acquaintance of "S" was interviewed at length, and his room was thoroughly searched, but neither evidence nor testimony could be obtained. Eleven months later, many officers from the investigative team were recruited to investigate the sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway. In 2009 the statute of limitations expired.

A pretty interesting and depressing website to hit the random page button to: http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Unsolved_Mysteries_Wiki

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just want to point out that he specifically said it couldn't be done unless you twisted the ends, as your sweet wrapper proved, ironically.

We used to do it back in high school, we'd roll someone up in one and it'd look like a snake swallowed them. It's pretty easy to see how a bulge could cause the foam to expand around the middle, but not on the ends where there's nothing inside the roll to force it outward.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jesus Christ. It's like an actual version of the poo poo in Japanese horror movies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Sulfanilamide Disaster, or Why the 1938 Food and Drug Act was Passed.

Back in the Wild West Days to which the libertarians would like to return us, you could slap any drat thing you liked in a bottle and call it medicine. In 1906, in response to Sinclair Lewis's The Jungle the U.S. passed the Pure Food and Drug act of 1906. For drugs, the act specified that (A) a medication label couldn't "be false or misleading in any particular" and (B) if you included any of 11 "dangerous ingredients", including heroin, morphine, cocaine, and alcohol, you had to give the quantity. You didn't have to list anything other than the 11 ingredients, but if you did list them, you had to give the dosage accurately.

It became clear pretty quickly that the 1906 Act wasn't good enough, but people argued about what would be better for years. Then, in 1937, came the Elixir Sulfanilamide incident. Sulfanilamide was one of the early antibiotics, the namesake of the "sulfa drugs". It works quite well, but it isn't very soluble, so it was sold in tablet or powder form. A chemist named Harold Cole Watkins discovered that you could dissolve sulfanilamide in diethylene glycol. His employer, S.E. Massengill Co, made up the solution, added raspberry flavoring, saccharin, and caramel, tested it for " flavor, appearance, and fragrance", and sent it out.

You may notice a missing test there. Massengill didn't test for either safety or effectiveness. Under the 1906 Act, they didn't have to. Harold Cole Watkins didn't even bother to check the medical literature, which would have told him that diethylene glycol could cause renal failure and death. Elixir Sulfanilamide was sent out to pharmacies and sold, and people -- children in particular -- started dying in great pain. Through heroic acts of detection and contact tracing, the FDA managed to retrieve or account for 228 gallons and 2 pints of elixir from the 240 gallons that had been produced. If you've got the time, click through the individual states in Dr. Barbara Martin's round-up of the lengths the FDA went to in order to retrieve remaining elixir from pharmacies and the individual patients, and to count the dead. All told, at least 96 people died from ingesting Elixir Sulfanilamide, with more deaths probable but not proven.

Then it came time to prosecute Massengill for killing all those people. It turned out they couldn't be. Elixir Sulfanilamide didn't contain, or claim to contain, any of the 11 dangerous drugs. It didn't list the diethylene glycon on the label, but there was nothing illegal about that. Massengill didn't have to test diethylene glycol for toxicity. There was only one thing Massengill was on the hook for: "Elixir Sulfanilamide" didn't contain alcohol, and legally if you called a medicine an elixir there had to be alcohol in it. If it hadn't been for that irrelevant (as far as toxicity went) error, the FDA wouldn't have had the legal authority to recall the drug at all.

The Elixir Sulfanilamide disaster hastened the passage of the 1938 Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which said that you had to safety-test products intended for human consumption.

There is a Wiki page, but it isn't nearly as good as the FDA page. I highly recommend Dr. Martin's book, Elixir; it's a page-turner.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Stop posting about wrestling mats! You can keep discussing the case, but drat, that part is getting really old.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What's the status on debating rasslin' cushions?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
New topic! Not wiki and only mildly unnerving, but it has nothing to do with wrestling mats. Twinspeak! How twins will form their own secret language during early childhood. The Bryan brothers consider it an important part of their doubles tennis strategy:

http://nautil.us/issue/6/secret-codes/the-secret-language-of-tennis-champions

A lot of the examples sound like bad English but the underlying grammatical structure that occurs across multiple languages with twinspeak is intriguing.

Somewhat related: in the 70s and 80s, students of a school for the deaf in Nicaragua independently and without direction created their own language. We get a lot of scary stories about people like Genie who grow up in isolation and never form any real language skills, but get a few Homo sapiens together and they'll figure something out, especially as babies or very young children:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Sign_Language

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

They have a statute of limitations on murder?

You could walk into a police station and admit to this, and they could do anything? Japan is mental

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Amphigory posted:

They have a statute of limitations on murder?

You could walk into a police station and admit to this, and they could do anything? Japan is mental

I'm pretty sure the case has been brought up before, but there's that literal cannibal who is a celebrity there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I'm pretty sure the case has been brought up before, but there's that literal cannibal who is a celebrity there.

His release was really France's fault, Japan couldn't legally hold him in custody because they couldn't get the necessary court documents. The celebrity thing is bizarre though.

There's also that murderer that was released under a new name, but apparently is still considered dangerous enough that they notified the public that he's out there.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Dec 19, 2014

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Oh yeah I knew about him, but I thought that was a weird quirk of that particular case

What other legal oddness goes on there?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kimmalah posted:

There's also that murderer that was released under a new name, but apparently is still considered dangerous enough that they notified the public that he's out there.

It's kind of useless to let people know while hiding his name. I have mixed feelings about Japan using that system, it can be good in some ways, but notifying people he's out there just...accomplishes nothing.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
They recently increased the statute of limitations on murder... to 25 years. Having one for murder isn't that unusual, though, a bunch of countries in continental Europe have them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I always thought it was strange that the cannibal guy from Japan has been able to live such a public life without any real problems that I know of. I mean I know Dexter isn't real but I'd think the guy would have to fear for his safety, or at least become a recluse and withdraw from the public. What about the family of the girl he murdered? Do they get like half his income or something?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Amphigory posted:

Oh yeah I knew about him, but I thought that was a weird quirk of that particular case

What other legal oddness goes on there?

Well, I happen to have a bit of experience with the Nipponese legal system, and it's quite a bit different from the judicial practices held here in the states. Most of my experience comes from my short term as an assistant to a defense attorney, and their responsibilities go far above and beyond what our counterparts are tasked with.

First, since 2012, the Japanese courts switched to an Inquisitive System, which has helped them push through cases in a very quickly (too quickly, perhaps) fashion. How quickly? Attorneys only have three days to convince the judge (having done away with the rabble box we call a jury) whether or not the accused is guilty. This adds a lot of pressure to attorneys, specifically defense attorneys who may have an innocent person's life in their hands. Further streamlining the system is a tight relationship between the Japanese police force and the legal system, and since public defenders usually have one case per three days, attorney's sometimes step into the shoes of an investigator. I know it sounds crazy, but first hand knowledge of the crime scene, witness statements and relevant evidence is vital in the heated back-and-forth that fills a Japanese courtroom. It can get pretty exciting as a bystander, but the pressure on the defense makes for a relatively high turnover.

Anyway, I bet there's someone here who can give you more pointed examples of people people screwed/absolved/eaten by Japan's Inquisitive System. I only spent a few months there as part of a work-study program.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LawfulWaffle posted:

Well, I happen to have a bit of experience with the Nipponese legal system, and it's quite a bit different from the judicial practices held here in the states. Most of my experience comes from my short term as an assistant to a defense attorney, and their responsibilities go far above and beyond what our counterparts are tasked with.

First, since 2012, the Japanese courts switched to an Inquisitive System, which has helped them push through cases in a very quickly (too quickly, perhaps) fashion. How quickly? Attorneys only have three days to convince the judge (having done away with the rabble box we call a jury) whether or not the accused is guilty. This adds a lot of pressure to attorneys, specifically defense attorneys who may have an innocent person's life in their hands. Further streamlining the system is a tight relationship between the Japanese police force and the legal system, and since public defenders usually have one case per three days, attorney's sometimes step into the shoes of an investigator. I know it sounds crazy, but first hand knowledge of the crime scene, witness statements and relevant evidence is vital in the heated back-and-forth that fills a Japanese courtroom. It can get pretty exciting as a bystander, but the pressure on the defense makes for a relatively high turnover.

Anyway, I bet there's someone here who can give you more pointed examples of people people screwed/absolved/eaten by Japan's Inquisitive System. I only spent a few months there as part of a work-study program.

Do you have a citation on any of that? You've pretty much exactly described a Phoenix Wright game but those games started coming out long before 2012.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Do you have a citation on any of that? You've pretty much exactly described a Phoenix Wright game but those games started coming out long before 2012.

Pretty sure that's :thejoke: (although Phoenix Wright is less exaggerated than one might think; the Japanese criminal justice system is pretty stacked against the accused).

In fact, Japan reintroduced jury ("lay judge") trials in 2009, having abolished them in 1943.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

Pretty sure that's :thejoke: (although Phoenix Wright is less exaggerated than one might think; the Japanese criminal justice system is pretty stacked against the accused).

In fact, Japan reintroduced jury ("lay judge") trials in 2009, having abolished them in 1943.

:downs:

I think it would have worked a bit better if the year was the release year for the first game.

I knew the Japanese system was hosed (police allowed to use coercive methods to get a confession, guilt being the default state upon a trial starting, and such) but Phoenix Wright is just a bit worse.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The Japanese death penalty is also sort of weird. The prisoner doesn't know the day of execution until that morning, nobody outside of the prison finds out until afterwards, and it is done via hanging. Regardless of what you think about about capital punishment, it's crazy to tell some guy he might be killed tomorrow or a few years from now but that he'll never know until that day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Monkey Man posted:

They recently increased the statute of limitations on murder... to 25 years. Having one for murder isn't that unusual, though, a bunch of countries in continental Europe have them.

Germany used to have a statute of limitations for murder of 20 years. For Nazi crimes this would have caused the SOL to expire in 1965 (counting from the end of WW2). So the Bundestag first shifted the date from which the SOL was counted to 1949 (founding date of the Federal Republic), then in 1969 they lengthened the SOL to 30 years. The SOL for murder and genocide was finally abolished entirely in 1979.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

benito posted:

The Japanese death penalty is also sort of weird. The prisoner doesn't know the day of execution until that morning, nobody outside of the prison finds out until afterwards, and it is done via hanging. Regardless of what you think about about capital punishment, it's crazy to tell some guy he might be killed tomorrow or a few years from now but that he'll never know until that day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan

Isn't it done like this largely to gently caress up any chance of an appeal process?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

The Monkey Man posted:

Are you sure they didn't abolish it completely? I'm turning up a bunch of news stories that say the Diet threw out the statute of limitations on murder in 2010.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Kid Fenris posted:

Are you sure they didn't abolish it completely? I'm turning up a bunch of news stories that say the Diet threw out the statute of limitations on murder in 2010.

Maybe, I checked up on that years ago.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jose posted:

Isn't it done like this largely to gently caress up any chance of an appeal process?

I don't know, I'd almost rather have a vague idea of when I was going to die, rather than the exact date. If you knew the exact date, you'd just be focusing on it like mad and driving yourself insane. At least if it's vague you might sometimes feel like you've got another day to live if you're lucky.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I always thought it was strange that the cannibal guy from Japan has been able to live such a public life without any real problems that I know of. I mean I know Dexter isn't real but I'd think the guy would have to fear for his safety, or at least become a recluse and withdraw from the public. What about the family of the girl he murdered? Do they get like half his income or something?

I watched a really interesting documentary on him including interviews and he's not really a celebrity so much as a morbid curiosity. He gets drug out for weird interviews and stuff like that every full moon but he's almost destitute because no one will hire him for anything and he basically lives completely isolated and depressed. I think it ended with him talking about how much his life sucked and how he was either going to kill himself eventually or was just ready to die or something

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I watched a really interesting documentary on him including interviews and he's not really a celebrity so much as a morbid curiosity. He gets drug out for weird interviews and stuff like that every full moon but he's almost destitute because no one will hire him for anything and he basically lives completely isolated and depressed. I think it ended with him talking about how much his life sucked and how he was either going to kill himself eventually or was just ready to die or something

Vice did a documentary on him that more fully explains his situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosZxa1bYcE :nws: (really graphic, horrible images included)

angelfisher has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Dec 20, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know, I'd almost rather have a vague idea of when I was going to die, rather than the exact date. If you knew the exact date, you'd just be focusing on it like mad and driving yourself insane. At least if it's vague you might sometimes feel like you've got another day to live if you're lucky.

Not with Japan;s 99+% conviction rate. If you're arrested there you're going to prison

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Sounds like Japan is a modern day Soviet Union, with how the Gulag system worked. In the USSR, official documents were holy writ, and if the government ever recognized publicly that one conviction was bad, it would call all the other convictions into question, and that was unacceptable. That's how you ended up with 2/3 of the country cycling through the Gulag at some point or another from 1935 to the late 1960s.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Jose posted:

Not with Japan;s 99+% conviction rate. If you're arrested there you're going to prison

by the time you have been sentenced to death and are awaiting execution you have already been arrested and put in prison yo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

A few months back I had to get an MRI of my neck, and they had me lie down on a plastic brace, which was then screwed into place around my neck to hold me perfectly still. I'm not claustrophobic in an MRI and it only took like 15 minutes, so it didn't bother me.

Now, people who have cancer and need radiation therapy of their head/neck get REALLY strapped down. I'm not sure how well I'd deal with that.

My best friend/roommate in college had lymphoma and had to wear one of these. We wound up keeping it in our room, sometimes leaving it on the pillow for cleaning people to find over break.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Talking of claustrophobia and caves, check this video of a guy getting stuck. It's not graphic or anything but gives you an idea of how pant-shittingly terrifying getting stuck in a cave is.

Getting Stuck in 'The Tube' - Lost Johns Cave: http://youtu.be/hS_aMAlAaeU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rondette posted:

Talking of claustrophobia and caves, check this video of a guy getting stuck. It's not graphic or anything but gives you an idea of how pant-shittingly terrifying getting stuck in a cave is.

Getting Stuck in 'The Tube' - Lost Johns Cave: http://youtu.be/hS_aMAlAaeU
Jesus Christ I hate caves. I also hate deep water.

So naturally this poo poo led to me finding this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbbS4qhVKjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Thanks for all the interesting Japan and SOL info, folks