Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Obviously I should move to be with my true people then, god drat. :sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Samog posted:

the flammable / ferrous weapon tags visible in the mod inspector are part of an unimplemented equipment material system and don't have any in game effect

Aren't there spells to make weapons and armor rust? I guess this means the "ferrous" tag at least works.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

Aren't there spells to make weapons and armor rust? I guess this means the "ferrous" tag at least works.

they just make everything rust i think. pretty sure leather armor falls off.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yup it destroys armor, weapons are unaffected.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone put the spell "Heat from Hell" to good use? The other day I used it through the Const8 sword that auto cast it, but it was underwhelming, the fatigue increase by turn wasn't enough fast to make a big difference (at last the spell needs two gems, I expected more).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone put the spell "Heat from Hell" to good use? The other day I used it through the Const8 sword that auto cast it, but it was underwhelming, the fatigue increase by turn wasn't enough fast to make a big difference (at last the spell needs two gems, I expected more).

Cast it in heat dominion and it's pretty great.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, you want to cast Heat from Hell/whatever the one cold one is in their respective temperature provinces for best results. Blast the place the battle's gonna happen with the temp-change rituals first if you gotta. :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, you want to cast Heat from Hell/whatever the one cold one is in their respective temperature provinces for best results. Blast the place the battle's gonna happen with the temp-change rituals first if you gotta. :v:
Grip of Winter. Both at Ench 6, which is an amazing case of Fire magic not getting the shaft relative to the other kinds!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

amuayse posted:

For EA, Berytos and Hinnom are pretty good, even for humans. Why is Ermor C tier though?
MA's Agartha and Arco is really good as well. MA Caelum is the best Caelum imho.
I would say for LA Agartha and Gath are at least A tier.

Okay, I get that the tier list is dumb and stupid. And possibly just a troll to get people to reveal their own opinions. But MA Arco is the worst Arco. It's bad.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

amuayse posted:

For EA, Berytos and Hinnom are pretty good, even for humans. Why is Ermor C tier though?
MA's Agartha and Arco is really good as well. MA Caelum is the best Caelum imho.
I would say for LA Agartha and Gath are at least A tier.
EA Berytos has the potential to be strong with great mages, paths, sailing and blood, but it has to get very lucky in the early game. They get run over, constantly. Their sacreds are bad and the rest of their troops are just okay. Blessed ponymans, jags, giants and centaur are salivating at the opportunity to start next to a nation like Berytos. As a result, it has never accomplished anything in any dom4 goon game I have been in or heard of.

Hinnom, like other giant nations, has a great early game and a great endgame... and its midgame is brutal. Most giant nations hit research goals slower than other nations because of how expensive their extra forts/mages are, meaning other nations hit giant killing spells (Thunder Strike, Destruction, Flaming Arrows, Skelly Hordes/Rigor, Stellar Cascades, etc.) at a time when they probably don't have much researched to answer them.

If they make it through these years to their lategame options, they'll be in pretty good shape.

Boing's Neifelheim in 'bear hunt' is a good example of this. Giants gave him some territory to start, he played it cool during the mid-game and then busted out Astral Corruption in the endgame to a probable win. That's a Good Giant Game. Pain Of Mind's Ashdod in 'mangame' was another good example. He beat up two neighbors in the early game, just simmered gobbling up AI territory safely in the midgame and then busted out tarts and other nastiness in the endgame to an almost win.

I don't think giant nations are bad. I do think other nations are more flexible and have more consistent power at every stage of the game, and have fewer hard counters.

EA Ermor's troops are pretty weak compared to the disgusting EA sacreds they'll be up against, and their mages need a lot of supporting construction/conjuration paths or big dangerous communions to cast the basic stuff they're responsible for. They just have so few redeeming qualities.

I leaned on the opinions of some of the seasoned channel's winners for the MA Agartha and MA Arco spots so maybe they can comment on those placements.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
All I care about is finding out where The Wu Tang Empire is on that tier list. If it isn't S+ I need to release a buff patch.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
As a side note, experience and thoughtful play tends to smooth over the dips in the power curve. A nation like Sauro with moderately strong early, mid and late games on the other hand doesn't have any dips. Compare to Berytos, where you need to outmaneuver diplomatically in the early game and win the game in the midgame with massed stormcallers, and lean on demon summons if the game goes late. Similarly, Hinnom needs to exceed everyone early and carry overwhelming momentum (my preferred winning strategy), or do better than average and somehow manage to bypass midgame in favor of Earthquake, Fog Warriors, and Mass Regen/Flight making their armies relevant again, or maybe a globals strat combined with blood sac.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Azram Legion posted:

All I care about is finding out where The Wu Tang Empire is on that tier list. If it isn't S+ I need to release a buff patch.
Don't worry it's C.R.E.A.M. rank. The highest one.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

jBrereton posted:

Don't worry it's C.R.E.A.M. rank. The highest one.

That's reassuring to hear. I wouldn't want to be the first modder to release a nation that isn't horribly overpowered - it's a tradition as old as modding itself, after all.

You also just gave me the idea to add a minor non-national gem-gen spell called G.R.E.A.M. in the next patch, so, thanks!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Speleothing posted:

Okay, I get that the tier list is dumb and stupid. And possibly just a troll to get people to reveal their own opinions. But MA Arco is the worst Arco. It's bad.

I think that Astrologers are very good for mindhunting.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

amuayse posted:

I think that Astrologers are very good for mindhunting.
Mind Hunt is an endgame sort of thing since it takes multiple paths at high research and some forging typically. It's good! But where the Arcos fail usually isn't in the lategame where they're pretty good. They struggle in the first few years.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Don't both MA and LA have elephants?
I think EA Arco has the hardest time getting off the ground if they don't have an awake pretender or blessed windriders. Not to mention all the elves and giants running around.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The big problem with MA Arco is that they don't get anything special from their capital - Astrologers are a StR version of your recruit anywhere mage. You're totally tied to those paths. And it's not like Mystics have a hard time Mind Hunting anyway: I'd rather have a bunch of S2s that I could transfer items between so that they're in range of the enemy and don't have to wait for them to recover from feeblemind.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

amuayse posted:

Don't both MA and LA have elephants?
I think EA Arco has the hardest time getting off the ground if they don't have an awake pretender or blessed windriders. Not to mention all the elves and giants running around.
Both have elephants. Elephants are great for expansion, but awful vs players... too easily countered. None of the arcos really have trouble expanding - it's winning the initial wars where they struggle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Cast it in heat dominion and it's pretty great.

Ok. Now the tricky question!

How much fire protection do you need exactly to resist the effect? 5, 10, 15?
Because given the effect is 100% battlefield, enemies and allies, I suppose the idea is to cast it with an army or at least some thugs who have fire prot. Turns pass by, the eneme gets tired, yours not.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok. Now the tricky question!

How much fire protection do you need exactly to resist the effect? 5, 10, 15?
Because given the effect is 100% battlefield, enemies and allies, I suppose the idea is to cast it with an army or at least some thugs who have fire prot. Turns pass by, the eneme gets tired, yours not.

I think it's 5. At least, that's what the manual says.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jabarto posted:

I forgot the manual, true, in some spells it gives you more concrete info than the game / Inspector

"Does stun damage equal to 5 + Heat scale (-3 if raining) and hits 50% of units per round."

After 6 turns in a Heat 2 province it will do 21 stun damage, in temp 0 province it will do 15 stun damage. FProt5 protects you mostly but in a Heat 3 province you would need Prot8.
Ehh it could be better, like 5+(heatx2), or 5+heat but with 100% of units affected. (Why only 50%? it's temperature in the entire zone. i mean I can understand Rain of Stones being 50%, but not spells like this).

You can't cast it several times, constant effects / global battlefield spells doesn't stack, right?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I suppose the idea is to cast it with an army or at least some thugs who have fire prot. Turns pass by, the eneme gets tired, yours not.
Common regular troops you'd actually use would be Demon Knights, Devils, Golem, Angels, fire summons like Drakes/Lions/Snakes, Mechanical Men, Dust Warriors/Walkers and Released Warriors/Ones.

Remember that many mages have access to fire resist. Fire mages can cast Protection from Fire, Water mages can cast Resist Fire and Earth mages can cast Temper Flesh.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I forgot the manual, true, in some spells it gives you more concrete info than the game / Inspector

"Does stun damage equal to 5 + Heat scale (-3 if raining) and hits 50% of units per round."

After 6 turns in a Heat 2 province it will do 21 stun damage, in temp 0 province it will do 15 stun damage. FProt5 protects you mostly but in a Heat 3 province you would need Prot8.
Ehh it could be better, like 5+(heatx2), or 5+heat but with 100% of units affected. (Why only 50%? it's temperature in the entire zone. i mean I can understand Rain of Stones being 50%, but not spells like this).

You can't cast it several times, constant effects / global battlefield spells doesn't stack, right?

They do not but it works automatically every turn and it's not a hard spell to cast. It's good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

No, that's the resistance necessary to ignore "native" severe heat/cold. Think stun damage is resisted in general at 2x base elemental resistance but that might be a massive lie that I heard somewhere?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It should be made worse in rain. Nothing more horrible than sweating inside your armour.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Maybe fire just needs a rain counter spell that balances out the effect? Make it harder to cast than rain to balance it out a little but rain is the primary reason why fire magic sucks.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe fire just needs a rain counter spell that balances out the effect? Make it harder to cast than rain to balance it out a little but rain is the primary reason why fire magic sucks.

This is the oldest debate in the books and while everyone agrees "fire needs an opposite of rain" it's probably never going to happen.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
IMO remove Rain from the game, and change Arrow Fend while you're at it. When you can't change strategies instantly (because they're largely tied to the nation you pick), hard counters like those are really crappy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

just make rain reduce the impact of stuff like heat aura and remove the fatigue increasing aspect will help make it a not as hard counter. Lower arrow fend to a lesser percentage and it's not quite as bad.

i just want to be able to use fire spells okay. holy poo poo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Anyone who plays humans is a cool guy imo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

humans own

la man is fun as gently caress

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

The Jewel of the World, Arcoscephale, was once a bustling and productive city. Its skies were graced by the great and powerful F9W9 Windriders and its casual dining restaurants were staffed by centuries old seductive women. All that changed the day the Bat Mans came...

Hundreds of bats mans poured from their caves and over the mountains into the once peaceful realm and began abducting and killing all the fuckin people. The Windriders could do nothing but delay them as the Engineering Corps was expanded in size and every man in the city was trained in the use of pulley systems in order to lift stones up onto the ramparts to defend against the impending siege.

The walls became unassailable. Arcosephale was an impenetrable fortress which could by no means be toppled, however, the vile and unholy dominion of Bat Man threatened to snuff out the One True and Holy Dominion. A bold new battleplan was needed and the entire magical treasury was emptied down the sanitary sewer and flowed into the marketplaces of neighboring nations to purchase powerful artifacts. With these magical trinkets the men with the strongest lust for bat death sallied forth from the castle to utterly destroy the besiging batsmans. They also brought along some ogres because what the hell else are you going to do with 24 ogres?

The Maker of the Maze himself carried a powerful magical artifact, the Staff of Storms, to prevent the batmen from flying, and the magical knowledge to cause an Earthquake to kill as many as possible and route the remainder from the field. He was accompanied by 3 other lusty old men whom all floated above the ground with magical rings of levitation. Oh yeah, and then 24 ogres too.

The army of Batmanlandia was formidable in size but staffed mostly by small and cowardly warriors. Their ranks would be shattered by the Earthquake and the remaining flying jaguars and demons would be forced to route from the battlefield.

Despite the incredible intellect and strategic planning the Maker of the Maze did not account for two very vital points:

1. Grounded fliers are still immune to Earthquake rendering 99% of the Batman army immune
2. The remaining 1% of the enemy was comprised of lowly human priests with a Blood Vengeance Bless

.rip ARCOSCEPHALE

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 20, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm Chicken Wing and this is my favourite AAR on the Citadel.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Did the batz salvage the staff of storms. That would be pretty great.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Did the batz salvage the staff of storms. That would be pretty great.

No the staff was luckily unrecovered but there is now a :siren: floating batman :siren:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Decrepus posted:

No the staff was luckily unrecovered but there is now a :siren: floating batman :siren:

Actually I gave it to a priest.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Flame112 posted:

Actually I gave it to a priest.

Leave him grounded imo. More earthquake insurance.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Grounded fliers can't be hit with ground only moves? That's some horse poo poo right there. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If flyers are immune then flyers are immune, even when they can't fly.

• Locked thread