Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Marshmallow Blue posted:

UPDATE: They should be on your front porch

Hooray! I am on my way home work now and this is most pleasant news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

vulturesrow posted:

So I just transferred my first batch ever from fermenter to bottling bucket. What's the best way to wash out the fermenter? I've already rinsed it out but haven't scrubbed the brown ring at all.

If it's plastic, don't scrub it with anything abrasive -- scratches are great places for contaminating microbes to hide.

An oxygen-based cleanser like PBW or Oxiclean Free does a good job. I try to rinse off what I can and then mix up some Oxiclean with hot water in the fermenter and leave it for a few hours. With a bucket, you can use a soft-ish cloth like a washcloth to get pretty much anything and probably not need the cleanser.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Der Penguingott posted:

Hooray! I am on my way home work now and this is most pleasant news.

Sweet let me know that none are broke

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

internet celebrity posted:

Definitely had not even considered that, thanks for the heads up. You think 12 hours past pitching would be preferable to 24 hours?

Yeah, I think so. I did mine at 12 hours on fill blast oxygen and poo poo went everywhere

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Sweet let me know that none are broke

My kitchen floor is completely covered plastic bags now....

Everything arrived safe and sound! These look fantastic, thank you! The labels look really good in person. I can wait to try the meads.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008
ExtremistCow, everything arrived safe and sound. Excited to try them out!

Paladine_PSoT, your package will arrive soon. I'm sending it out tomorrow/Monday.

Yakadan fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 19, 2014

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

ExtremistCow posted:

Secret Santa box from Economic Sinkhole. A saison, porter, pumpkin, and fig old ale (that I'm most looking forward to). Thanks man!

My Secret Santa recipient should be receiving his box shortly.

Cool, I'm always revealed to hear that beer boxes arrived safely. Enjoy and please send me your criticisms.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well here is vulturesrow homebrew #1. I am way more excited about this than I thought I would be. I couldn't stop smelling the bottling bucket while I was bottling. Can't wait to taste it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

vulturesrow posted:

So I just transferred my first batch ever from fermenter to bottling bucket. What's the best way to wash out the fermenter? I've already rinsed it out but haven't scrubbed the brown ring at all.
I clean better bottles/carboys with about a gallon of warm water and a tablespoon or so of Oxyclean Free. Mix it up in the carboy and lay it on its side on a towel and rotate every 30 minutes until all "sides" of the carboy have been soaked clean by being covered with the cleanser. Shake it up a bit on each rotation as well. It takes basically 0 effort to get poo poo clean with Oxy.

Then rinse, sanitize, cover the mouth (I use sanitized foil) and store for next time.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

vulturesrow posted:

Do you mean a bucket or a carboy? For a carboy, soak in oxiclean free. For a bucket, unscented dish soap works just fine for me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Do you mean a bucket or a carboy? For a carboy, soak in oxiclean free. For a bucket, unscented dish soap works just fine for me.

Yeah I should've specified, I was using a bucket. I'm soaking it in warm water and some oxiclean. Used a washcloth to get the remaining crud off that didn't rinse off.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

My secret santa gift came! 2 funky ciders to cellar and 2 Dogfish Head 90 Minute clones. Everything arrived in great shape and I am looking forward to trying these.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Looks like the day after xmas is gonna be a nice 32 degrees. A perfect time to fire up my xmas gift (dark star burner). Any tips for brewing in mild cold?

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I should've specified, I was using a bucket. I'm soaking it in warm water and some oxiclean. Used a washcloth to get the remaining crud off that didn't rinse off.

Don't let it sit too long. Water is very hard where I'm from and if it cools off/sits too long some salts start to precipitate out.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Left an American stout for a month and a half in primary because I got busy and equipment kept breaking, and I've ended up with my first pellicle:

It smells fruity like citrus hops (I hopped at the end with Columbus and Centennial and it still smells like that... actually, kind of like Citra, even though I didn't use it) and doesn't taste noticeably infected (I've had lacto and maybe pedio infections previously, on no-boil Sahtis, and have also intentionally used lacto in Berliner weisse and it doesn't taste like that). It's fuzzy-looking and seems confined to the surface, so it could be mold, but I'm not sure since I've never had a pellicle before.

Gravity has apparently been stable for the month that it's been sitting there. What should I do with this? Rack from under and bottle anyway?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Looks like the day after xmas is gonna be a nice 32 degrees. A perfect time to fire up my xmas gift (dark star burner). Any tips for brewing in mild cold?

Have a second propane tank ready, keep it warm, and swap the tanks when the flow rate drops on the one feeding the burner.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Scythe posted:

What should I do with this? Rack from under and bottle anyway?

Yeah. Keep an eye on the bottles if they start getting overcarbed. But otherwise it should be fine. A little sour funk in a stout can be good.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I have this ball lock attachment:

Which is obviously grey/gas into keg. Is there a way that I can buy a barb attachment to make it for liquid out for my picnic taps?

Also, I want to add that I hate living in a town that is 100 miles away from a homebrew shop. There's always that $5 item you are missing, need and will cost you $15 to get every. drat. time.

This and I need some WLP833 and yep. I'm out of that too. :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You can just force it on. It'll be a bitch to get off but it works in a pinch.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I mean, you can get 1/4MFL to barb fittings, but that doesn't address the point that the posts are slightly different and they are intended to be non-cross-compatible. I guess you could also swap the posts on the keg, but then you have the issue of getting gas into the keg. I guess you could swap an in post from a different keg on, but then you'd have wonky kegs. Which ain't the end of the world, if you remember what you did and to put it back when you have the chance.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Wait a minute. Ball lock posts aren't universal?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I made some mead, 2 gallons. Primary fermentation was together in a 2gal plastic bucket, second fermentation was separated in 1gal glass jugs.

I just bottled it now, and the taste/smell was way off from what it should be. It sat around for longer than I would have liked after racking it the second time - maybe 4 months - without being bottled.

Any thoughts on what might have happened?

It may be just been a bad batch, but it seems that it may have gone vinegar.

If its gone vinegar, are there any uses I can have for it? If I do end up drinking it, any risk of getting seriously sick?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Massasoit posted:

If its gone vinegar, are there any uses I can have for it?
Have you not heard of vinegar before?

Massasoit posted:

If I do end up drinking it, any risk of getting seriously sick?
Yes. Be very careful. Alcohol is very poisonous, and drinking too much can kill you.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Wait a minute. Ball lock posts aren't universal?

Nope. I can't find the picture right now, but if you see them side by side, they are noticeably different.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Not a great photo but they are different. I learned this when I had to break a beverage out adapter off of a gas in post. If you note the little grooves in the hex part of the right post- that indicates that it is the gas in post.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Economic Sinkhole posted:

If you note the little grooves in the hex part of the right post- that indicates that it is the gas in post.

On most of mine, the liquid post is a hex, but the gas post is a 12-point star. They take the same socket, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Massasoit posted:

If its gone vinegar, are there any uses I can have for it?

Make salad dressing, or pickles.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Whelp. It's time to reexamine all my kegs. I now know why it's such a bitch to get some of them on and off.

When my roommate and I first got our legs, they were in a large lot so we disassembled and bulk washed and reassembled everything. We definitely didn't know this and reattached them all willy-nilly.

:Edit: two/three years of this poo poo and I never realized. :shepicide:

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 20, 2014

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Whelp. It's time to reexamine all my kegs. I now know why it's such a bitch to get some of them on and off.

When my roommate and I first got our legs, they were in a large lot so we disassembled and bulk washed and reassembled everything. We definitely didn't know this and reattached them all willy-nilly.

:Edit: two/three years of this poo poo and I never realized. :shepicide:

First kegging mistake I made. It took me 3 hours to figure out everything was leaky and not fitting properly. That and I put the wrong O-Rings at the wrong point on the posts/diptubes. I have a detailed list of what goes with what now. :shepicide:

At least with the F'ed up Racetrack keg I bought at KegConnection a couple of weeks ago, I know that if the part looks F'ed up, it goes with the Racetrack keg. :-D $30 Ball Locks FTW!

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 20, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

My kegerator came fully assembled from someone else. First brew I put in it proved there's a leaky something at the tap end. I now have to disassemble it and find the cause of the uckupfay.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

My Santee just got their package sent out. When someone on here gets a parcel from Matt in Toowoomba, that's me, I forgot to throw in the letter explaining what everything is.

So Santee, you get:
1/2kg each of Flaked Rye, Weyermann Chocolate Wheat, and Bairds Pale Chocolate malts.
1 pound each of Golden and D-45 Candi Syrup
I had an aeration stone as well but forgot to put it in the satchel, sent it express post so you might see it monday or Tuesday. I would have milled it but I have no idea what you have in terms of equipment etc. But I look forward to hearing about your stout and dark beer adventures. Also Sixpoint Righteous uses flaked rye, there's enough there for about a 12 litre batch ;)

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
"Grooves equals Gas" is the "righty tighty, lefty loosy" of the homebrewing world.

IIRC a liquid post can work better with gas lines than vice versa but some elbow grease and positive pressure do wonderful things for sealing kegs regardless of what posts you're using.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I'm also new to the world of kegging, and it is fantastic.

Except, last night I filled my second ever keg, and I forgot to purge it. I was trying to rapid-carb the keg, so the pressure is turned up. When I remembered this morning, I turned the pressure down and tried to clear out whatever was left in the head space. This batch was a full 5 gallons so the keg was pretty full. How much damage did I likely do?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Likely little to none.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Agreed; you'll never notice.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Excellent, thanks!

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Love watching the little thing spin around. :3

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey Blarghle I finally got to drinking that cider you gave me last year. It was ridiculous. Possibly the most intense and flavorful cider I've ever had, and definitely high on the booze content. It tasted almost more like a mead than a cider.

Can I get the recipe?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
How do I get the numbers behind this fermentation profile that Beersmith gave me?

What's the temperature after the initial 54 F? When do I raise it, and for how long? What's the final temperature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey Blarghle I finally got to drinking that cider you gave me last year. It was ridiculous. Possibly the most intense and flavorful cider I've ever had, and definitely high on the booze content. It tasted almost more like a mead than a cider.

Can I get the recipe?

5 gallons motts apple juice
10 pounds granulated cane sugar
7.5 pounds light brown sugar
1/2 container of apple pie spice(one of those little McCormick ones)
4 packets of dried champagne yeast
4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
1 drop of olive oil

I was trying to get the absolute most attenuation I could out of the champagne yeast, although I don't know how much the extra packets and nutrient actually helped. It wasn't supposed to be as sweet as it ended up, but I guess some would consider that a happy accident. I plan to make it again soon, but with the staggered sugar additions that other people have used to replicate the Dogfish Head 120 minute.

nmfree posted:

BLARGHLE:

Your Secret Santa gift is on the way. If you'd like the tracking number send me an email at nmfree@gmail.com . There's a cover sheet in the box explaining what everything is that I included.

I got your package a few days ago, and I'm drinking your appfelwine #3 right now. Tasty! Hopefully I'll get around to putting up pics of my various homebrew christmas loots soon, as well as finally sending my package out.