Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Jonny 290 posted:

or unbalanced

I read about some technique for building turbine blades where they basically start with a little crystal of metal and grow the entire blade via some type of deposition so it's as close to perfect as we can get

yeah they do this specifically for turbine blades for gas-turbines, in order to have superior metallurgical properties at high temperatures (higher turbine inlet temps allow higher output and efficiency). there isn't really a point for steam or water turbines because you're way below the thermal limits of the blade material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

as far as unbalanced turbines go: yeah that's a problem too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfW5MqT7CSA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sayano%E2%80%93Shushenskaya_power_station_accident

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

comprehensively solving public health problems in the remotest, least developed parts of sub-saharan africa is easier than teaching southerners not to stand around barefoot in their own poo poo

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

comprehensively solving public health problems in the remotest, least developed parts of sub-saharan africa is easier than teaching southerners not to stand around barefoot in their own poo poo

didn't the current prime minister of india win on a platform that included a bold plan of "toilets for all"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't there a goon who was working with a charity installing networked water pumps in African villages so they could track when they break down
these pumps (i used hand pumps/wells) break down at least once a year with heavy use and they are likely the only source of relatively clean water for miles. the village i lived in was smart and collected fees every month, about a dollar from each user, and kept it in a fund to repair the pump immediately upon failure.

pointers posted:

so someone mentioned agricultural land restoration projects and yes yes yes
1) biochar. gently caress yes biochar. increases cation exchange capacity, water retention, has a shitload of carbon so throw a lil nitrogen on that bitch and u got urself some beneficial microbes going. do a biochar
2) loving great green wall bitches. basically acacia trees have real deep roots AND they fix nitrogen?!?! holy mother of gently caress these things are awesome already. but then THEN they totally LOSE THEIR LEAVES AT A TIME WHEN AGRICULTURAL CROPS ARE IN ACTIVE GROWTH. so u can plant MUTHAFUCKING CROPS under these trees and they wont gently caress with the root system, get fuckin NATURALLY FERTILIZED and can still get sun and poo poo?!!? plus ur CREATING MUTHAFUCKING JOBS AND DISTRUPTING THE AGRICULTURAL ECONOMY b/c u gotta harvest those bitches between trees and aint no loving big-agri mass producution machines doin' that poo poo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
3) and gently caress this documentary is awesome even if it gets all preachy at the end http://www.symphonyofthesoil.com/

loving soil (it is not dirt IT IS NOT DIRT) bitches, keeping things alive
most of my work in zambia was teaching people about the benefits of acacia trees like "msangu" and how they are literally free fertilizer.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

these pumps (i used hand pumps/wells) break down at least once a year with heavy use and they are likely the only source of relatively clean water for miles. the village i lived in was smart and collected fees every month, about a dollar from each user, and kept it in a fund to repair the pump immediately upon failure.
most of my work in zambia was teaching people about the benefits of acacia trees like "msangu" and how they are literally free fertilizer.

plz direct me to how i can get involved with this it is extremely my poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

literally free fertilizer
but enough about my posts

e: also, that owns

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pointers posted:

plz direct me to how i can get involved with this it is extremely my poo poo
https://www.peacecorps.gov

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

no dont

:(

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

whys that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
esatan hated the poo poo out of his time there and we missed him real bad

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't there a goon who was working with a charity installing networked water pumps in African villages so they could track when they break down

it serves a double purpose. they can see when the pumps are busted but also they can see how much they are used. they use that info to setup websites that donors can go to and feel fuzzy about how many gallons their donation has helped provide (and be implored to donate more).

it's like cookie clicker but with wells.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i hated my time there mainly because i'm a fuckup with sadbrains fwiw

e; i'd go back and do it again :gonk:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i hated my time there mainly because i'm a fuckup with sadbrains fwiw

don't sign everyone's posts lmbo

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
haha yes, the peacecorps, totally not a front for the us intelligence agencies

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Beast of Bourbon posted:

you'd think their funding wouldn't be so paltry if this were true

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it may look like a water pump, but it's actually a miniature nsa listening post sending all the village gossip straight into the headphones of a sinister figure at ft meade

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

you'd think their funding wouldn't be so paltry if this were true

who would you let into your african nation: a "peace corps" that is stealing toilet paper and washing paper plates, or a "peace corps" that has shitloads of cash and is evidently being funded by somebody big

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

also the leaves contain DMT hehehe :lsd:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this whole article: http://www.wired.com/2014/12/jumpstartfund-hyperloop-elon-musk/

quote:

So JumpStartFund and the UCLA students have made good progress, but there’s a lot to figure out before anyone gets to tackle the really fun parts like testing, permitting, and construction. Ahlborn says the questions of how to build the low-pressure tube and the pylons that support it have mostly been solved, and creating the capsules shouldn’t be too tricky. The hard part is moving the capsules within the tube, and seeing how fast they can go.

yeah, you've made great progress. you made some CGI renderings with stock character models and poo poo. oh, and read all 50 pages on elon musk's white paper.

quote:

“I have almost no doubt that once we are finished, once we know how we are going to build and it makes economical sense[, that we will get the funds,” Ahlborn says, and Musk’s cost estimate of $6-10 billion for a 400-mile stretch of Hyperloop is on point, based on the team’s work.

Considering the nonsense that’s getting venture capital these days, that’s not a crazy thing to say, though it will require unusually patient investors.

startup logic. hey, if that silly company can get $1million, then surely i can get $10 billion. actually, another company has been making crappy CGI mock-ups of vac trains for years but got no funding. what gives? http://www.et3.com

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

who would you let into your african nation: a "peace corps" that is stealing toilet paper and washing paper plates, or a "peace corps" that has shitloads of cash and is evidently being funded by somebody big

just a small increase in funding (relative to the military/intel budget) and they'd be insane effective and even more likely to be attractive to tons of struggling countries

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qntm posted:

didn't the current prime minister of india win on a platform that included a bold plan of "toilets for all"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

A minimum of half a billion toilets is a Lotta dang toilets

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

this whole article: http://www.wired.com/2014/12/jumpstartfund-hyperloop-elon-musk/

yeah, you've made great progress. you made some CGI renderings with stock character models and poo poo. oh, and read all 50 pages on elon musk's white paper.

startup logic. hey, if that silly company can get $1million, then surely i can get $10 billion. actually, another company has been making crappy CGI mock-ups of vac trains for years but got no funding. what gives? http://www.et3.com

“I have almost no doubt that once we are finished, once we know how we are going to build and it makes economical sense[, that we will get the funds,”

No loving poo poo.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
After reading the article about that, I thought the making GBS threads in public I saw in China was bad. However, if it is just 1% of 1.2 billion then 50% of a billion making GBS threads outside must be unbearable.

I have a client that once a year goes back home to India and refuses to drink any water even if it's bottled so we ship a few cases of USA bottled water to Delhi for him to pick up and use while he's there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

A minimum of half a billion toilets is a Lotta dang toilets

i'm super impressed with our recirculating toilet and imagine that it can save probably 90% of flushin water over a regular shitter.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

PleasureKevin posted:

I still cannot fathom where a $6-10bn estimate can come from

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

cant anyway :canada:

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

just imagine the existential question posed by working in a facility with a turbine with molten sodium flowing through it at 2000 degrees and twice the speed of sound

what about molten-lead bismuth and you're trapped in a tiny titanium tube deep underwater

and it has to be on 24/7 with no maintenance lest the reactor "freeze".

quote:

The Soviet Union/Russian Navy Project 705 (Лира/Lira, "Lyre") was a class of hunter/killer nuclear-powered submarines. The class is also known by the NATO reporting name of Alfa. They were the fastest class of military submarines built...

[I]t used a powerful lead cooled fast reactor as a power source, which greatly reduced the size of the reactor compared to conventional designs, thus reducing the overall size of the submarine, and allowing for very high speeds. However, it also meant that the reactor had a short lifetime and had to be kept warm when it was not being used.

While more reliable, BM-40A reactor still turned out to be much more demanding in maintenance than older pressurized water reactors. The issue was that the lead/bismuth eutectic solution solidifies at 125 °C (257 °F). If it ever hardened, it would be impossible to restart the reactor, since the fuel assemblies would be frozen in the solidified coolant. Thus, whenever the reactor is shut down, the liquid coolant must be heated externally with superheated steam. Near the piers where the submarines were moored, a special facility was constructed to deliver superheated steam to the vessels' reactors when the reactors were shut down. A smaller ship was also stationed at the pier to deliver steam from her steam plant to the Lira submarines.

Coastal facilities were treated with much less attention than the submarines and often turned out unable to heat the submarines reactors. Consequently the plants had to be kept running even while the subs were in harbor. The facilities completely broke down early in the 1980s and since then the reactors of all operational Lira submarines were kept constantly running. While the BM-40A reactors are able to work for many years without stopping, they were not specifically designed for such treatment and any serious reactor maintenance became impossible. This led to a number of failures, including coolant leaks and one reactor broken down and frozen while at sea. However, constantly running the reactors proved better than relying on the coastal facilities. Four vessels were decommissioned due to freezing of the coolant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

triple sulk posted:

I still cannot fathom where a $6-10bn estimate can come from

really? in order to build his stupid hyperloop system he needs to build several 500 mile or so long tubes that are completely airtight and probably involve a ton of tunnels and poo poo to avoid elevation and direction changes as much as possible.

that 6 to 10 billion seems pretty legit, although honestly a bit low.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Considering normal high speed rail over that distance would be at least 5 billion I think it's safe to call that estimate low

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

really? in order to build his stupid hyperloop system he needs to build several 500 mile or so long tubes that are completely airtight and probably involve a ton of tunnels and poo poo to avoid elevation and direction changes as much as possible.

that 6 to 10 billion seems pretty legit, although honestly a bit low.

Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant. I meant that it sounds stupidly low and at least 5-10 times less than what it should be if they want to get it done in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Stay safe, Stymie. Being right all the time is a burden I know all too ell.

same

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Beast of Bourbon posted:

so are polio vaccinations but that doesn't make them bad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beast of Bourbon posted:

at this point what isn't a front for us intelligence

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Verdafolio posted:

what about molten-lead bismuth and you're trapped in a tiny titanium tube deep underwater

and it has to be on 24/7 with no maintenance lest the reactor "freeze".

cooling things with liquid metal is fuckin crazy

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the way to fund that hyper loop is to crowd fund it using Bitcoin on indie gogo

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

evacuated tube transport for people is dumb for many reasons

the better tube technology is short to medium range pneumatic freight transport (like big versions of the pneumatic document tubes they use at the bank)

it's easy to build, easy to maintain, highly efficient, and cost effective

seriously you just put a bunch of standard reinforced concrete tubes end to end from point A to point B, hook up a big blower to one side, and start shoving capsules in. they can be aboveground or underground or whatever, and can be sized up to handle ISO-standard shipping containers. they're projected to reduce energy use (and emissions) per ton-mile by like 90+% over on-highway trucks.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Spime Wrangler posted:

evacuated tube transport for people is dumb for many reasons

the better tube technology is short to medium range pneumatic freight transport (like big versions of the pneumatic document tubes they use at the bank)

it's easy to build, easy to maintain, highly efficient, and cost effective

seriously you just put a bunch of standard reinforced concrete tubes end to end from point A to point B, hook up a big blower to one side, and start shoving capsules in. they can be aboveground or underground or whatever, and can be sized up to handle ISO-standard shipping containers. they're projected to reduce energy use (and emissions) per ton-mile by like 90+% over on-highway trucks.

Does this exist yet irl anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
or just build a railroad.

• Locked thread