Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

I've been following the threads. Apart from getting Too Mad about the guessing over Amon's identity, SHM was better than a lot of other OPs I've seen.

Dude he was really really bad, I mean his weird meta modding and weird thread rules about how you couldn't discuss Atla in the show that's literally the sequel to it or the fact he used op fiat to start bandwagons against posts and posters he didn't like, namely anything he disagreed with

He was a real bad op dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean but what do you expect from a guy who literally angrily tweeted the president over a comic book storyline he didn't like, this is a poster obsessed with his comics

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Torquemadras posted:

I also would have liked to see Raiko again; he was one of the more morally ambigous characters on the show

After Korra and Asami walk hand-in-hand into the portal we get back to the party. Scenes of everyone being festive and cheerful as a new era dawns for the world and for Republic City. Pan over the crowd until we get to Raiko.

Raiko turns to the camera and smiles, and says:

quote:

Did you think I’d forgotten you? Perhaps you’d hoped I had. Don’t waste a breath mourning Miss Kuvira, every kitten grows up to be a cat. They seem so harmless at first–small, quiet, lapping up their saucer of milk. But once their claws get long enough, they draw blood, sometimes from the hand that feeds them. For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy. There is but one rule: hunt or be hunted. Welcome back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDi7cRFcnnY

:allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Dude he was really really bad, I mean his weird meta modding and weird thread rules about how you couldn't discuss Atla in the show that's literally the sequel to it or the fact he used op fiat to start bandwagons against posts and posters he didn't like, namely anything he disagreed with

He was a real bad op dude
You are out of your goddamned mind.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 19, 2014

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Korra is as bi as Spike is dead.

I mean, at least we saw Spike fall down dead and his "star" fade out of existence, I'm sad that in a kids show where people constantly hug I can't know for sure. They should've just gone for the kiss, gently caress.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

God this thread sometimes. Can we just love each other platonically as much as Korra and Asami love each other romantically?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rosalind posted:

God this thread sometimes. Can we just love each other platonically as much as Korra and Asami love each other romantically platonically?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
also there was mad yonic symbolism in the double-helix spirit portal thing

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ah yes, I too stare longingly and into the eyes of my BFF while holding their hands and passing into an exclusive vacation in an isolated area.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Akumos posted:

I guess I'm just disappointed it had to air on Nick, I wanted to see them go through with a kiss or something. I'm a skeptic at heart. :(

It airing on Nick probably had something to do with it, but at the same time I wonder if it wasn't a creative choice. In media, a kiss is almost always the go to shorthand for a romantic connection, but it's not like it's the only definitive way to show it. I like the way they did it really, it was pretty much perfect.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Akumos posted:

I guess I'm just disappointed it had to air on Nick, I wanted to see them go through with a kiss or something. I'm a skeptic at heart. :(

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Akumos posted:

Anyone else feel like they might be exaggerating about that Korrasami confirmation? In a show like this, it's incredibly possible they had just bonded over being good friends through all the poo poo they've gone through and neither of them want to deal with a relationship anymore. My gut says you're right and it seems hinted at, but I can't help but feel like it lacked confirmation and could easily just be them being really good friends happy to comfort each other. I wish they went just a bit further..

I dunno if Sato died, I mean, we only saw the crumpled wreck of his hummingbird thing, not the actual dead body. I need just a bit more to confirm because I, too, am incapable of inference.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay close the thread now.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Look how loving gay this is I mean come on, dude.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'd just like a place on the internet to talk about a show that's part of a franchise that honestly means a lot to me without having to deal with one-note threadshitting. That's all I'm asking for.

oh btw realtalk what you're looking for is tumblr, since what you're literally asking for is a hugbox that silences any sort of meaningful discussion or criticism

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 19, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

oh btw realtalk what you're looking for is tumblr, since what you're literally asking for is a hugbox that silences any sort of meaningful discussion

There's a distinction between "wanting a tumblr hugbox" and "not appreciating bad-faith shitposting".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Malpais Legate posted:

Ah yes, I too stare longingly and into the eyes of my BFF while holding their hands and passing into an exclusive vacation in an isolated area.

Yea you weirdos, do you NOT stare softly into your buddy's eyes after taking him by the hand and inviting him on a bros only vacation? Nothin about that but two bros broin out.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

oh btw realtalk what you're looking for is tumblr, since what you're literally asking for is a hugbox that silences any sort of meaningful discussion or criticism

Holy poo poo dude calm down already.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, it was a good run. Some really big highs, but also some really big lows. AtLA was at its core a kid's cartoon that managed to go beyond the typical attitude most shows did and actually do something more. Korra was probably pitched as a kid's show but it was clearly designed for an older age group given the main cast were all teenagers rather then 10-12 year olds.

Brian and Mike gained a lot of good will by making the show seem more 'mature' for lack of a better word, but then also burned a lot of the goodwill pretty quickly with some terrible plot devices. I assume there will be a series of Korra comics or something, because I don't think there's anyway in hell Nick is going to let go of the Avatar franchise so it's not like the creators can take it to another network and get a new series or movie or anything like that.

As far as the Korrasami thing goes, it's almost as hilarious to see as when Naruto ended and the shippers lost their loving minds, even calling Kishimoto's office to rant and rave about it. If Nick had been on board with this series for the entire run, it'd definitely have more significance because it would be an actual Nick show that kids could watch rather then the chaotic mess of early leaks, online viewing, and finally Nick going "fine, we'll air it."

I think this show will do pretty good on DVD sales because for binge watching each season the plot moves fairly quickly and there's very little "some unrelated stuff happened" episodes.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 19, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheModernAmerican posted:

Yeah yeah; next you are going to try to tell me that Achilles and Patroclus were gay too :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The finale was great, Varrick and Zhu Li did the thing and oh my gosh oh my gosh Korra and Asami Aaaaa

AAAAA

I'm dead

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Have the creators commented on the ending at all yet? I'm half assuming Nick told them not to publicly admit to Korrasami to avoid the Fox News controversy bs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Have the creators commented on the ending at all yet? I'm half assuming Nick told them not to publicly admit to Korrasami to avoid the Fox News controversy bs.
Beyond that one storyboard artist saying that the handholding and romantic look was apparently added in post-preproduction, we've got nothing from any staff members on the ending, much less from Mike and Bryan.
The official Korra tumblr liveblogged the finale last night with gifs, and the final shots were curiously absent.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That's pretty gay.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

Okay, can someone tell me why you guys care so much about the thread title? Legitimate question. I did that thinking you guys would just laugh it off but some of you got like, really pissed.
Not really pissed because getting angry over an anime joke is pretty stupid, though I like having thread titles changing from episode to episode because it breaks the monotony I guess.

I just wonder if they'll ever be ATLA/LOK thread somewhere on these forums after New Years Day, obviously not in TVIV which I can understand since a lot of people have poisoned it here. Unless of course I'm wrong and DP just really hates the show itself and not because he has to deal with reports from people bugging him to probate such and such; I kind of got on the LOK in season 2 so I missed all that stuff apparently.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Post it in Anime Drawings To Replace Women.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Beyond that one storyboard artist saying that the handholding and romantic look was apparently added in post-preproduction, we've got nothing from any staff members on the ending, much less from Mike and Bryan.
The official Korra tumblr liveblogged the finale last night with gifs, and the final shots were curiously absent.

He's also deleting his tumblr because I don't think he was supposed to mention that so...... I'm guessing they sneaked it in. edit: Also people were being assholes and using it to say Mike and Bryan were pandering and Mako/Korra was the real ship or Korra was supposed to be single,even though they've been hinting at this for awhile.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
gently caress the korrasami poo poo. That made me angry.

Otherwise good eps. Definitely well constructed. It's kinda telling that Varrick and Zhu Li is the most satisfying romance story in the show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hauldren Collider posted:

gently caress the korrasami poo poo. That made me angry.

why?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Internet's been surprisingly quiet so far. I hope this thread stays open long enough for a front-row seat on the explosion.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well duh, it got in the way of Zakorra. Or is it Korzheer? :barf:

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

It just seemed very fanservicey. The main issue I have with it is that there's been a merry-go-round of korra lovers, which now includes the entirety of team avatar, and I think adding yet another interest just cheapens the whole thing. Not that there was a lot there to begin with...but it annoys me regardless.

I mean the whole thing is an exercise in applied combinatorics:

Korra + Bolin
Korra + Mako
Asami + Mako
Asami + Korra

Bleh.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Korra and Bolin never hooked up

Oh wait they were together at first weren't they?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It turns out that Korra was gay all along, but the overwhelming influence of her past lives force her to be straight. Ever since she let those past lives go, she's been free to be the butch alpha lez she was born to be.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 19, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They went on a date(s) but that was the extent of it.

EDIT: The argument that it is fan service is valid, since when these characters were first being developed they probably didn't have the endgame in mind of Korra + Asami. The show has had a lot of outside influence from its fans when it comes to the writing/character development. But at the same time this wasn't exactly sprung on us. Book 3 and 4 dropped subtle hints from time to time.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 19, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

It just seemed very fanservicey. The main issue I have with it is that there's been a merry-go-round of korra lovers, which now includes the entirety of team avatar, and I think adding yet another interest just cheapens the whole thing. Not that there was a lot there to begin with...but it annoys me regardless.

I mean the whole thing is an exercise in applied combinatorics:

Korra + Bolin
Korra + Mako
Asami + Mako
Asami + Korra

Bleh.

Korra and Bolin were together for like...a second in season 1 IIRC. Mako and Korra haven't been together for a while and Asami was only with Mako for like a season or so. This is really nowhere near as complex as you're making it seem dude.

Maybe I'm nuts but it seems like they're been a pretty decent amount of foreshadowing since mid season 3 for Korra and Asami.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
The other thing that irks me is that I can't help wondering if it was added because of all the noisy voices saying that they had a duty to do it in order to promote gay rights or some related poo poo. (Not that gay rights are poo poo. I'm all for those. Not the point.) And because I don't know that I have in the back of my head that we spent the last five minutes of the finale pandering to noisy idiots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It wasn't even really a date. They went out as friends and Bolin misunderstood it.

The other thing that irks me is that I can't help wondering if it was added because of all the noisy voices saying that they had a duty to do it in order to promote gay rights or some related poo poo. (Not that gay rights are poo poo. I'm all for those. Not the point.) And because I don't know that I have in the back of my head that we spent the last five minutes of the finale pandering to noisy idiots.

It almost certainly wasn't. It probably wasn't their intentional idea in Season 1 but by Book 3 are least they were already setting it up and Book 4 made it super-blatant. The only reason it is even a surprise is because "Nick won't let them have a gay protagonist."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Uhhhh, I don't think this is really something that was happening. Maybe they figured it would be nice to have a non heterosexual couple in a show and they weren't bullied into it by 'noisy idiots' ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Final thought: I thought Korra and Asami had a great dynamic as *friends*. The gay lovers thing reaaaalllly cheapens that. I honestly think that them just being friends is a whole lot more interesting and satisfying.

My opinion isn't world law, if you like the lesbian thing better...fine, whatever. It annoyed me a lot.

• Locked thread