Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
you won't point to anything concrete, or really state anything whatsoever. you just keep saying "THOSE guys. THOSE guys are wrong. you'll see. even if he loses they are wrong" which doesn't actually mean anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

so what do you think he can do, that other people thinks he can't? like what part of his skill set are we underestimating
i think he is a really tough dude with a ton of willpower and i don't really have trouble believing he could stand against a guy with 0-2 pro fights under his belt

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

you won't point to anything concrete, or really state anything whatsoever. you just keep saying "THOSE guys. THOSE guys are wrong. you'll see. even if he loses they are wrong" which doesn't actually mean anything
lol my bad i was ruining the thoughtful intelligent discussion of this thread

hahahaha

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

i think he is a really tough dude with a ton of willpower and i don't really have trouble believing he could stand against a guy with 0-2 pro fights under his belt

absolutely nobody claimed otherwise

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are you really taking personal my assertion that anyone identifying as straight edge is, uhhhh, a bad f word

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
also, to clarify: he is not a green lantern so "willpower" doesn't actually matter

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

Are you really taking personal my assertion that anyone identifying as straight edge is, uhhhh, a bad f word
i have yet to acknowledge that you exist

you're welcome

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

david carmichael posted:

also, to clarify: he is not a green lantern so "willpower" doesn't actually matter

Having a lot of willpower matters.

It is a good way to get really, really badly injured because you don't tap when you're completely hosed.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Lol

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
but i'm genuinely curious if you watch/follow/care about mma at all or if you are basing your opinions of his toughness and willpower exclusively on pro-wrestling stuff

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

He's tough

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
in brightest day in blackest night
never shall i watch a fight
cm punk i will white knight
YOU WILL ALL SEE IM RIGHT

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

but i'm genuinely curious if you watch/follow/care about mma at all or if you are basing your opinions of his toughness and willpower exclusively on pro-wrestling stuff
yes my mma dick is in fact bigger than yours

seriously the phenomenon of people being super defensive in this thread about a wrestleguy coming in to the ufc is really weird. like people believe that dudes on the facebook prelims are godlike warriors who's skills are trained like ninjas

i've said "i think punk is more capable than people in this thread are saying" and a bunch of people are freaking out

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

david carmichael posted:

in brightest day in blackest night
never shall i watch a fight
cm punk i will white knight
YOU WILL ALL SEE IM RIGHT

Hahahaha

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

cams posted:

seriously the phenomenon of people being super defensive in this thread about a wrestleguy coming in to the ufc is really weird. like people believe that dudes on the facebook prelims are godlike warriors who's skills are trained like ninjas

i've said "i think punk is more capable than people in this thread are saying" and a bunch of people are freaking out

You've made a lot of bad posts.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Seltzer posted:

You've made a lot of bad posts.
cool i was super worried about that

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

lots of pro-wrestlers have successfully transitioned into mma. everyone pretty much unanimously said that punk would be better than someone with his level of experience. we are trying to figure out what you are arguing against. no one is being defensive

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
couldn't even get through his father's abuse and become a healthy adult who can responsibly enjoy a few beers every now and then. Doesn't sound so tough to me

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

camsteh

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

lots of pro-wrestlers have successfully transitioned into mma. everyone pretty much unanimously said that punk would be better than someone with his level of experience. we are trying to figure out what you are arguing against. no one is being defensive
that's cool, i disagree with your summary of this thread. i see a lot more people discounting him completely and those are the ones i am speaking to. you don't need to keep defending the others any more.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lol sup

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

david carmichael posted:

so what do you think he can do, that other people thinks he can't? like what part of his skill set are we underestimating

The girl voice in that 90s "Anything you can do I can do better" Gatorade commercial starring Michael Jordan and Mia Hamm was CM Punk all along

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Skip My Posts posted:

couldn't even get through his father's abuse and become a healthy adult who can responsibly enjoy a few beers every now and then. Doesn't sound so tough to me

Hell I never thought about it that way. Guy can't even drink a beer, how's he going to take a punch. Messed up when wussy babies try and do sports for adults.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

that's cool, i disagree with your summary of this thread. i see a lot more people discounting him completely and those are the ones i am speaking to. you don't need to keep defending the others any more.

the further thing is: someone making their debut will be much worse than someone fighting on the ufc's prelims. so to say that someone on the ufc's prelims isn't a highly trained athlete is very silly. a good comparable is mats nilsson, who is a small 185 pounder and is fighting in the opening fight of a non-televised prelim in a few weeks.

mats nilsson is black belt in judo, a world champion in no-gi bjj at brown belt level and has been training muay thai for 8 years. he's currently 0-1 in the ufc. he would absolutely crush punk if the fight were to happen today.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Someone just put up some footage of punk doing some real light sparring and I gotta say he looks a lot better than I ever thought he would

http://youtu.be/qbVvPN9GncQ

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
mats nilsson is a marginal ufc fighter, who has been fighting professionally since 2008. there is a reason punk won't be fighting a current ufc fighter and that reason is: the fight would not be even close to fair

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Name names. Who are these foppish defensive hand wringers who refuse to believe in CM Punk?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

david carmichael posted:

absolutely nobody claimed otherwise

to be fair, people did specifically claim that he would get beaten up by a 68-year man and also by a dude picked entirely at random from the general population

in the absence of concrete information about how good his health and BJJ skills really are, I'd like to add that I also believe CM Punk would tap to a medium-sized bird that flew in his window and wouldn't leave, Necro Butcher in the CP Munk gimmick, and also the metaphorical concept of shame

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

to be fair, people did specifically claim that he would get beaten up by a 68-year man and also by a dude picked entirely at random from the general population

in the absence of concrete information about how good his health and BJJ skills really are, I'd like to that that I also believe CM Punk would tap to a medium-sized bird that flew in his window and wouldn't leave, Necro Butcher in the CP Munk gimmick, and also the metaphorical concept of shame

punk got 50/50 odds against a randomly selected 18-31 year old, which seems fair

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
just a reminder that cams thinks that bendo won all his fights and the judges had nothing to do with it

he watches fight, he just watches them like a retard

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yuriy posted:

just a reminder that cams thinks that bendo won all his fights and the judges had nothing to do with it

he watches fight, he just watches them like a retard
a reminder that you are yuriy

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
oh god this is like choosing which of my idiot children i hate the most

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
"This 'CM Punk' is deceptively strong!"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
listen. can't we just say that everything you've both ever done has completely disappointed me

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

oh god this is like choosing which of my idiot children i hate the most
you are trying to make me have a serious discussion about the fact that i think a lot of people in this thread are being dumb

the reason you have decided to stand up for this thread as some bastion of reasonable opinions is unknown to me but its weird

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

you are trying to make me have a serious discussion about the fact that i think a lot of people in this thread are being dumb

the reason you have decided to stand up for this thread as some bastion of reasonable opinions is unknown to me but its weird

i am not standing up for the thread. i am saying that you, personally, are stupid.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
to be clear: just because i think you are wrong does not necessarily mean i think anyone else is right.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The 40 year old guy who can't drink a beer without crying about his childhood has incredible willpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

i am not standing up for the thread. i am saying that you, personally, are stupid.
hahaha cool then keep it up bro gj

• Locked thread