Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dr Suntory posted:

Is there some kind of certificate? Couldn't you just collect some cowpies on a field and make way more money?
It's basically the cow version of an owl pellet inside the box, I think. I am pretty sure there are some decently strict regulations on sending feces in the mail, likely due to disease and such. Also from what I hear CAH donated all the money from the bullshit to charity, which is fantastic. They do a lot of charity work, it's great.

And yeah, the little box is pretty loving awesome, if it didn't have poo poo in it I'd want to use it for other things or just sit it out because I think it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Captain Invictus posted:

There's not a whole lot to tell really

I bought 5 CAH Black Friday Bullshit boxes for future gag gifts, they are actual bull poo poo despite people thinking that was a not serious line in the description, but people are still paying 4-5 times what they originally cost for them anyways on ebay so I'm making 100 dollars off of 24 dollars investment. In bull poop.

May the speculators buying your wares get everything they deserve.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Already sold one for 25, 3 to go!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Part 2 of the WOFF! Morrowind saga is out. This one covers the Fighters, Mages, Thieves, and Assassins guilds... and we have mixed feelings about them. Just a heads up in case you're expecting us to continue to praise the game effusively.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/89

Up next is Rock Band (guys, seriously, Rock Band is so much fun), followed by the winner of our Winter Action RPG poll (which closes tonight). We'll have more to announce later as the schedule solidifies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably late on this but I fully support the REM podcast that WOFF wants to do, as it would be amazing

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Started listening to the WOFF on Fallout 2 and I am really wishing I could get over the interface and get into that game. It sounds so loving up my alley. Also, I'm hoping they do an episode on New Vegas at some point.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Stan Taylor posted:

Started listening to the WOFF on Fallout 2 and I am really wishing I could get over the interface and get into that game. It sounds so loving up my alley. Also, I'm hoping they do an episode on New Vegas at some point.

I think I remember in either the Fo1 or Fo2 episode they said that they'd probably end up doing all of them eventually.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The huge bummer is that Bethesda apparently has no plans to make Fallout 3 run on modern operating systems. The Xbox 360 version is okay, but I imagine there are some useful mods we'd miss out on.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Song For The Deaf posted:

The huge bummer is that Bethesda apparently has no plans to make Fallout 3 run on modern operating systems. The Xbox 360 version is okay, but I imagine there are some useful mods we'd miss out on.

This guide helps: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/828937546147175081/

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Fallout 3 doesn't run on Win8? I've been playing New Vegas lately and was going to go back and give F3 another shot after I finished this run. Huh.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm just popping in to say that I'm half-way through woff's Alpha Protocol episode and I'm loving every minute of it. Good job.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stan Taylor posted:

Fallout 3 doesn't run on Win8? I've been playing New Vegas lately and was going to go back and give F3 another shot after I finished this run. Huh.

It can definitely run, but there are at least two steps you need to take:
1) install GFWL or an unofficial patch that removes the need for it altogether;
2) edit some ini files so it plays nice with multi-core processors, otherwise the game will crash every 30 minutes.

There are a dozen guides on Steam, like the one Samopsa linked above, that have the proper instructions.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 19, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Up next is Rock Band (guys, seriously, Rock Band is so much fun)
I am so super jealous. In Taiwan we never got any Rock Band games (aside from a couple of hilariously overpriced gray imports here and there). We got a couple of the Guitar Hero games, but despite rhythm games still blowing up arcades, the console ones never got any love. The whole time I got to listen to games podcasts talking about how awesome they were and see people on the Internet all talking about playing Rock Band at parties and bars. I guess I got to play GH3 at one point, but even then we had to resort to some crappy Chinese knockoff guitars. The whole rhythm game bubble just inflated and burst completely divorced from any reality I'm personally familiar with. Probably a licensing/copyright thing I guess.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

probably late on this but I fully support the REM podcast that WOFF wants to do, as it would be amazing

Heh, yeah, me too. Podcasting at Night? P. Central Cast? Pod Pod Hummingbird. Umm. Poddy Casty People.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The signoff would be "It's the end of the 'cast as we know it, and we feel fine."

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Really glad the Thumbs like Talos Principle. Keep playing it, because they either weren't very far in or were avoiding spoiling some of the later metagameish elements, but once some of those things slot into place it goes from a good puzzle game to something a lot more. Reminds me a lot of The Swapper, for good reason.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you're (physically) a robot, go into the options and turn on third person mode. In the same menu you can also crank up the player's foot speed a little bit, which is nice since the game does involve a hell of a lot of running around.

It's a really minor thing, but I absolutely loved the way they handled the tutorial because it's completely unobtrusive and runs through the most basic logic of the game in a way that totally makes sense in-universe. Watch the little status messages it pops up in the HUD as you go through it and it's pretty obvious that you're some sort of puzzle-solving machine. It even makes sense based on the sketchy knowledge I have of infant logical development, and I thought it did a wonderful job of setting the tone for the whole game.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I take back what I said about hoping that BFSC doesn't do Lords of the Fallen. I've since given it another shot and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I take back what I said about hoping that BFSC doesn't do Lords of the Fallen. I've since given it another shot and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Just out of curiosity, where did you drop it and what's pulling you back in?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

zapjackson posted:

Heh, yeah, me too. Podcasting at Night? P. Central Cast? Pod Pod Hummingbird. Umm. Poddy Casty People.

Podcast Free Europe, What's the Frequency, Kole?, Podcast '89.

But honestly, my vote would probably be Talk About the Passion.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Woffle posted:

Podcast Free Europe, What's the Frequency, Kole?, Podcast '89.

But honestly, my vote would probably be Talk About the Passion.

Shiny Happy Podcast motherfuckers.

Also the game you were thinking of in Abject Suffering was Kid Chameleon.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Really glad the Thumbs like Talos Principle. Keep playing it, because they either weren't very far in or were avoiding spoiling some of the later metagameish elements, but once some of those things slot into place it goes from a good puzzle game to something a lot more. Reminds me a lot of The Swapper, for good reason.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you're (physically) a robot, go into the options and turn on third person mode. In the same menu you can also crank up the player's foot speed a little bit, which is nice since the game does involve a hell of a lot of running around.

It's a really minor thing, but I absolutely loved the way they handled the tutorial because it's completely unobtrusive and runs through the most basic logic of the game in a way that totally makes sense in-universe. Watch the little status messages it pops up in the HUD as you go through it and it's pretty obvious that you're some sort of puzzle-solving machine. It even makes sense based on the sketchy knowledge I have of infant logical development, and I thought it did a wonderful job of setting the tone for the whole game.

There are definitely a bunch of structural elements that open up that I didn't touch on at all because I felt like I was already being really spoilers and I didn't feel I had to go further to sell the game properly but yeah you're right that it just gets better and better.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Talos Principle is great. It totally triggers that sense of puzzlement wonder and creative thinking that the original Portal did, and that its sequel completely failed to recapture for me.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

N'thing the call for a REM WOFF. Also, since Kole turned me on to it, a House of Leaves cast. Go on.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Man, you guys are breaking my heart a little. The biggest limiting factor on these new projects is the number of hours in a day. I already feel bad for not updating Hex Crank in a (long) while.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As someone who also grew up on The Simpsons and Nick at Night reruns I would love to hear you just talk about old TV shows and why they work or don't work in the current year. The Dick Van Dyke Show was real funny in 1961 but does it still hold up? Yes, the answer is yes, but you get my drift.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We will add all these projects to our 10K patreon stretch goal where we both podcast full time.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Podcast for every hour of the day, 24/7. Duckfeed should never leave my ears at any point for the rest of my life.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

EC posted:

Just out of curiosity, where did you drop it and what's pulling you back in?

I can't really explain what pulled me back in. I think I just didn't give it a fair shot. It plays very similar to the Souls game (I'd argue the stats system is better than what went in DaS2) but had a few differences that annoyed me right out of the gate. I tried it a few days later after putting it down and I just "got it" I guess and its been enjoyable. Its not a Souls game but the combat is fun and the graphics are very pretty. Makes me super pumped for Bloodborne and the Souls 2 PS4 release. I'm stuck at the stupid graveyard boss though. It's frustrating that I'm stuck early in the game at a boss considering I've beaten all the souls games multiple times. It feels like this games version of the Pursuer.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I can't really explain what pulled me back in. I think I just didn't give it a fair shot. It plays very similar to the Souls game (I'd argue the stats system is better than what went in DaS2) but had a few differences that annoyed me right out of the gate. I tried it a few days later after putting it down and I just "got it" I guess and its been enjoyable. Its not a Souls game but the combat is fun and the graphics are very pretty. Makes me super pumped for Bloodborne and the Souls 2 PS4 release. I'm stuck at the stupid graveyard boss though. It's frustrating that I'm stuck early in the game at a boss considering I've beaten all the souls games multiple times. It feels like this games version of the Pursuer.

That guy is a piece of poo poo. You've figured out the gimmick, right? If you want some help, grabnab me on twitter. @garybuh

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I know the gimmick with the shrines exploding and stunning him but even when I use that unlimited stamina magic buff I still do jack poo poo for damage. I've got two characters stuck at him and the most I've ever gotten him down was around 50 percent. I'm gonna break down and just watch some YouTube vids. lovely fight.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

He's the 2nd hardest boss in the game, I think.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I was listening to the superman 64 abject suffering podcast (both that and WoFF are awesome) and I was a little curious about the term "our complicated relationship with james rolfe" while discussing internet critics, did you guys actually interact with him or was that just a throwaway comment meaning that you have varying opinions on his work?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The latter. I've never had any interactions with him.

Speaking for myself: I really enjoyed his videos back when he started making them, but his schtick ran thin for me. I then started watching some of the stuff he did outside of the AVGN character and I liked that more. He seems smart, he's definitely shrewd, and he obviously works very hard. I'm happy he's so successful... I just wish he didn't have to lean on buffalo diarrhea so much. But that's what pays.

The bigger problem we have is the deluge of imitators who followed, each louder and more obnoxious than the last, each losing some of the more subtle things that make the best AVGN videos work.

I'm very self conscious about Abject Suffering possibly being perceived as part of that bad crop, so it probably comes up more on the show than it ought to.

When it sounds like we're putting James Rolfe on blast, know that we're accidentally using him as a proxy for a genre of gametalk that we don't really care for.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Woffle posted:

We will add all these projects to our 10K patreon stretch goal where we both podcast full time.

and at 1 million smacks you get a sweet rear end wizard to cast time stop on ya'll
at 10 mill you get ti rent the byperbolic time chamber.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The latter. I've never had any interactions with him.

Speaking for myself: I really enjoyed his videos back when he started making them, but his schtick ran thin for me. I then started watching some of the stuff he did outside of the AVGN character and I liked that more. He seems smart, he's definitely shrewd, and he obviously works very hard. I'm happy he's so successful... I just wish he didn't have to lean on buffalo diarrhea so much. But that's what pays.

The bigger problem we have is the deluge of imitators who followed, each louder and more obnoxious than the last, each losing some of the more subtle things that make the best AVGN videos work.

I'm very self conscious about Abject Suffering possibly being perceived as part of that bad crop, so it probably comes up more on the show than it ought to.

When it sounds like we're putting James Rolfe on blast, know that we're accidentally using him as a proxy for a genre of gametalk that we don't really care for.

This is a big, big reason why I listen to WOFF, Idle Thumbs, and 8-4 Play: I cannot stand gimmicks for very long; I initially liked Yahtzee's stuff, but that wore thin super fast. I'm going to tell everyone to get off my lawn in about 2 seconds, but I think the reason why people produce media with these caricatures is that it's an easy way to differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd in an easily identifiable and consumable way. As in, it's way easier to sell a brand to someone versus actual sincerity. It might just be because I prefer long form radio poo poo, too.

The three examples I listed, all of them feature people who have thoughtful and interesting things to say. There are some caricatures that get drawn up as recurring jokes and stuff (Nick Breckon being a sociopath, Mark MacDonald giving JJ a ton of poo poo all of the time), but primarily they all have people who come from interesting backgrounds and have interesting things to say. It's definitely a harder sell than "HEY WATCH THIS DUDE YELL AT HIS WEBCAM FOR 5 MINUTES ABOUT BIDEO GAYMES!" because the listener actually has to pay attention for more than 5 minutes to be entertained. That said, I also know that those concentric circles probably don't have too much overlap.

Those are some words on video game podcasts.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I hate film critic hulk so much and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with most of his salient points if his gimmick didn't make me so angry.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Ditto on AVGN for me. I've seen all of his videos and liked a lot of them. He's genuinely great at pointing out why a game is bad when he bothers to do so. I have fond memories of his Silver Surfer video where he drew a diagram of all the areas on the screen that were instant kills. The guy has chops but I've never thought he was very funny. On top of the buffalo poop thing, he's also in love with video effects/stunts. I can see the appeal as a film maker but they're not that fun to watch, personally.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Any time he's actually focused on showing the game and talking over it is great. The rest is iffy at best, but I do watch most of his AVGN videos because I find the good parts worth it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Al! posted:

I hate film critic hulk so much and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with most of his salient points if his gimmick didn't make me so angry.

I actually saw a "Game Critic Hulk" on twitter one time. So you know... that's a thing. Film Hulk seems alright generally, and if you throw the text into a case converter you wouldn't be able to tell it was a hulk gimmick. He seems to have given some people a crash course on film theory, which is really admirable I think.

The worst gimmick an internet commenter can have is "angry british guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

The worst gimmick an internet commenter can have is "angry british guy."

Especially if his name starts with T and rhymes with Total Biscuit.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 21, 2014

• Locked thread