Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone else using the PS3Eye camera for headtracking? Have you managed to use the microphone as well for voice comms? I just got a new set of headphones, no mic on them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Welp, got my next imperial rank of master and then a quest to go kill a random guy. Some named guy in an imperial clipper. I had to call in a friend to help kill it because the adder just is not able to compete and turn enough.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Killed my first Anaconda. Was a 1200 credit bounty on it :shepface:

That almost covers the ammo I used.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Turns out disabling orbit lines turns off the "don't go inside of this circle" graphic on stars which is invaluable for fuel scooping.

Guess I'll be keeping that on.

Thats super disappointing, they should make those separate toggles. I want my beautiful lineless systems but I don't want to slam into a sun :(

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Third World Reggin posted:

All I do is haul slaves around and make sure that wangai is the best drat penal colony ever.

Not much money, but the empire has a lot of "Go get me 2 imperial slave" quests where the station you are in sells those slaves. 10-20K profit, which is good for starting players.

wangai means "dick love" in english in real life btw

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

Another Isinona video, and it's really interesting to watch.

After watching that, I think I`ll get myself a cheap sidewinder and start practicing with assist off.

bonds0097 posted:

This game forced my hand and I have now placed an order for a Saitek X55. I'm so excited to map all the DIP switches to different functions. I am a little sad that there's no switch with a safety cover for self-destruct.

I`ve found your post just 15mins after giving up and ordering mine. :hfive:

Also, the patch notes made my day:

• Added option to hide the orbit lines in shown in Supercruise to the right hand UI panel
• Reduce likelihood of NPC ships claiming bounties after a player has weakened an opponent :dance:

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Anyone else using the PS3Eye camera for headtracking? Have you managed to use the microphone as well for voice comms? I just got a new set of headphones, no mic on them though.

I do, but could never get the mic to work well enough, the control for volume is grayed out in its properties and it doesn't pick up my voice very well.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BaconPigbutt posted:

• Reduce likelihood of NPC ships claiming bounties after a player has weakened an opponent :dance:

This change is huge. I don't think I've lost a bounty to an NPC yet today.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

BaconPigbutt posted:

After watching that, I think I`ll get myself a cheap sidewinder and start practicing with assist off.

It seems like you can do some pretty sweet BSG-like stuff with assist off, I can't wait to give it a shot once my new toy arrives.

EDIT: Anyone tried this out? http://www.elitedangerousvoicepack.com/ Looks pretty sweet, the most fun I ever had with Star Trek Online was when I mapped all the commands to voice.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 19, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't think I get bounty hunting yet.

I took out a mission to kill pirates in a nearby independent system. I warped to an "unidentified signal source" and found a dude in a Lakon Heavy. He immediately said "leave me alone and take this money" or words to that effect. He wasn't wanted though. So I attacked anyway, and then a system security Anaconda showed up and killed me.

I saw a video online of how to get started with this game and he basically just said "go to a conflict zone and kill stuff there for a bounty" but I've never seen anything like that.

What happened?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

BaconPigbutt posted:

Yeah, if you want to fight something effectively, turn flight assist off, and get used to playing with relative speeds. There's really no other way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gort posted:

I don't think I get bounty hunting yet.

I took out a mission to kill pirates in a nearby independent system. I warped to an "unidentified signal source" and found a dude in a Lakon Heavy. He immediately said "leave me alone and take this money" or words to that effect. He wasn't wanted though. So I attacked anyway, and then a system security Anaconda showed up and killed me.

I saw a video online of how to get started with this game and he basically just said "go to a conflict zone and kill stuff there for a bounty" but I've never seen anything like that.

What happened?

That sounds weird. Bugged USS for sure. File a ticket (which will probably be ignored) and post to the bug forums and hopefully they will fix it.

If you want to go bounty hunting and have it be fun though, go to a resource extraction point and start popping wanted heads. Get an interdiction device and pull people out of supercruise. Get a Kill Warrant scanner to maximize your income. Nav beacon if no better option presents itself. The ship-killing missions aren't really any good except as supplemental income if you'll be in the area anyway, at least until you get the really good missions that are gated behind high rep.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

OK, so how do I find a resource extraction point?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gort posted:

You want rocky or better ring. Go to the galaxy map, check out "extraction" systems, find one that has a planet with the appropriate ring (rocky, metal rich, or metallic).

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

How do I find combat missions that don't suck? After picking one I fly off to the system only to spend hours hunting for 3 particular pirates. Not any pirate will do apparently.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
So when does Onionhead and the Slaves of Sorbago go on tour?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you in the good graces of that faction? I suspect groups offer better paying missions the more they like you.

It's the key to getting 20K/ton gold runs. Once I hit allied status Erevate went :homebrew: on me.

Gort posted:

More specifically, any RES in the system can be locked to from the Navigation panel.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

More specifically, any RES in the system can be locked to from the Navigation panel.

I've found there's a range on this, actually. Unless you're close enough, they won't show up at all. Same for conflict zones and nav points.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

Another Isinona video, and it's really interesting to watch.

How does he manage to look around so freely? Is there a HOTAS setup that makes it easy, or...?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Probably an IR head tracking setup.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FredMSloniker posted:

How does he manage to look around so freely? Is there a HOTAS setup that makes it easy, or...?

One of my HATS or whatever they are called does that if I have no Rift on as well

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FredMSloniker posted:

Rift? Trackir?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'd guess Trackir, as far as I know you can't output a Rift video signal like that, it's all rift-O-vision

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
From the video description:

quote:

Published on Dec 19, 2014

Flying around with a 'Wanted' status is a sure fire way to attract attention from bounty hunters...

Controlled with the 'Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X' flight stick.
Camera control achieved using TrackIR

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Speaking of the Thrustmaster T-Flight, does anyone have a setup they wouldn't mind sharing for it? I recently picked up one up to support Elite, Star Citizen, and a couple other games but haven't had a chance to really sit down and build a control scheme yet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Elenkis posted:

From the video description:

gently caress me I got something right

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

OK, so now I killed a wanted dude while in Federation space. Got a 10,000 credit bounty for him.

But now apparently I have a 13,000 credit bounty on ME for killing him. So I figure, OK, guess I'll take the hit, pick up the bounty in a neighbouring independent system, then pay off my own bounty, maybe try and work out what went wrong. But I can't collect the bounty for some reason.

This game is really confusing. How am I supposed to know if killing a wanted guy is going to lose me money?

Gort fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2014

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Man trackir needs to lower their price. For $180 might as well pay the extra $170 and pick up a rift DK2. And it has a good chance of being cheaper at launch.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gort posted:

OK, so now I killed a wanted dude while in Federation space. Got a 10,000 credit bounty for him.

But now apparently I have a 13,000 credit bounty on ME for killing him. So I figure, OK, guess I'll take the hit, pick up the bounty in a neighbouring independent system, then pay off my own bounty, maybe try and work out what went wrong. But I can't collect the bounty for some reason.

This game is really confusing. How am I supposed to know if killing a wanted guy is going to lose me money?

If he's wanted in the system you're in, you shouldn't get a bounty for killing him - that's legal. If he's not wanted in the system you're in its not legal.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

Man trackir needs to lower their price. For $180 might as well pay the extra $170 and pick up a rift DK2. And it has a good chance of being cheaper at launch.

FreeTrackNoIR, PSEYE camera, and a Delan clip. Cheaper and works perfectly with Elite.

nessin posted:

Speaking of the Thrustmaster T-Flight, does anyone have a setup they wouldn't mind sharing for it? I recently picked up one up to support Elite, Star Citizen, and a couple other games but haven't had a chance to really sit down and build a control scheme yet.

I have it set up for full forward throttle (the notch it rests at in the middle makes finding combat maneuvering speed snappy). HAT is thrusters, HAT + button 5 is power distribution, 6 is flight assist off set to hold, 7 is boost. Rest is default, though with button 5 as a modifier I bound more countermeasures to 2 and 4. Oh and 10 is reverse toggle, and 9 is another modifier for the HAT to cycle targets and subsystems though it takes forever to cycle those and now I just use the subsystem menu.

I use voice attack for landing gear, frame shift, and the galaxy map. That's about it.

Arcade fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 19, 2014

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

It seems like you can do some pretty sweet BSG-like stuff with assist off, I can't wait to give it a shot once my new toy arrives.

EDIT: Anyone tried this out? http://www.elitedangerousvoicepack.com/ Looks pretty sweet, the most fun I ever had with Star Trek Online was when I mapped all the commands to voice.

I don`t have this pack. But I got voice attack and I can`t imagine myself playing without it anymore.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

I bought a voice pack from this guy on the star citizen forums several months ago who had a Jarvis like voice, it was kind of cool but unfortunately not enough of the stuff would match up with Elite.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
What's the best way to get out of Federation space? I was looking over the enormous galaxy map for interesting Alliance systems but I can't plot a route to any of them.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The missions I don't quite get are the ones where you're given specific targets.

Are you just supposed to find random USS's in the selected systems until you find them or what?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

you can also get: http://www.delanengineering.com/ or http://edtracker.org.uk/index.php/shop

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The missions I don't quite get are the ones where you're given specific targets.

Are you just supposed to find random USS's in the selected systems until you find them or what?

Yes, that's been my experience. Anytime I get a mission to retrieve a black box/rebel transmission they're always in the random USSes.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Shonuff posted:

Yes, that's been my experience. Anytime I get a mission to retrieve a black box/rebel transmission they're always in the random USSes.

Huh, I just now found a USS that gave me a lead to a different system.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gort posted:

If he showed up as Wanted on the scanner, but you still got a fine for killing him, then that sounds like a bug.

If, however, you interdicted him out of supercruise because you saw he was Wanted and THEN engaged him, you HAVE to wait until the scanner shows him as Wanted AFTER a successful interdiction. When you pull him into normal (non-supercruise) space, he's technically an unknown target again. You have to re-scan him so that you don't incur a fine/bounty for engaging him. Shaving his face off without first re-confirming his Wanted status makes you guilty of assault and murder. It's dumb, but they're supposedly working on fixing it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Nah, I don't even have an interdictor. I guess I'm just running into every bounty bug in the game over and over.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Kappa Fornacis
Independent Dictatorship - 70LYs out of Sol

- HarvestPort selling Onionhead. Rare item. Illegal. Allocation is coming in around 1-5 amounts at around 765cr per unit. :catdrugs:
- HarvestPort has high demand for Personal Weapons, and is selling 4.7k CR per ton.
- Three Federation capital ships orbit Panem
- High Intensity Conflict Zone
- Federation checkpoints around the first three planets. Which is basically just bunch of Elite Fed fighters screaming FREEDOM!

Arach fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gonkish posted:

If, however, you interdicted him out of supercruise because you saw he was Wanted and THEN engaged him, you HAVE to wait until the scanner shows him as Wanted AFTER a successful interdiction. When you pull him into normal (non-supercruise) space, he's technically an unknown target again. You have to re-scan him so that you don't incur a fine/bounty for engaging him. Shaving his face off without first re-confirming his Wanted status makes you guilty of assault and murder. It's dumb, but they're supposedly working on fixing it.
This doesn't seem to be true. I was confused by people saying this last night, but when I interdict people they do not need to be rescanned.

• Locked thread