Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it's an iPhone can't you connect it to the stereo via a USB port? I thought they added that in 2007 or something. I'm surprised the stock Aux In doesn't have a GLI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CharlesM posted:

If it's an iPhone can't you connect it to the stereo via a USB port? I thought they added that in 2007 or something. I'm surprised the stock Aux In doesn't have a GLI.

My 2008 doesn't have a USB port, just an aux jack and second cigarette lighter in the arm rest.

I should probably pick up a ground loop isolator. I didn't realize it was that easy to fix.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh they used to make an iPod kit but I don't know if that works with newer iPhones.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. The only problems I had with an isolator were due to the 1/8" jacks on the isolator itself failing.

My solution to this was to bury the ground loop isolator in the center console and use a female to female adapter to connect another 1/8 stereo cable to the near end of the isolator cable. Although this was on a first generation 6, using a sylfex auxmod so the whole thing was easy to route & bury.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I know this is the MZR thread but what's the consensus on the new generation of Mazda 3/6? I'm looking at a base model manual hatchback or 6 sedan to replace this 02 WRX that I just got and don't really care to put up with.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

I know this is the MZR thread but what's the consensus on the new generation of Mazda 3/6? I'm looking at a base model manual hatchback or 6 sedan to replace this 02 WRX that I just got and don't really care to put up with.

They are both great cars. I am disappointed that the 2.0L 3's don't come with a proper tach though. You have to step up to the 2.5L S model to get rid of that stupid digital tach.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I get to drive a 2014 Mazda3 2.0 Skyactiv somewhat regularly and it's fantastic. The digital tach really isn't too much of a problem (it's still quick to respond and if you're really trying to wring it out, you should be doing that by ear / feel anyway). It feels as nimble as my old MS3 did, while not being nearly as harsh. The shifter is better than my MS3's ever was.

I'm also impressed with how well it does at low revs. The car has a shift indicator that will call for gears really early on if you're not wailing on it, and since I'm not paying for the gas in that car I try to obey it. It also will ask for skip shifts like 3->5 or 4->6. It's not a pain to obey it either, because they did a hell of a job making that engine behave nicely in 6th gear at <2000RPM. You can get from 40 to 65 without downshifting and without lugging the engine.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

BraveUlysses posted:

I just got a 3 Hatchback and I love it. Driving it is really fun and it's just a smooth ride. It's not all that fast but it's got a nice little skip to its step. I'm also averaging 35mpg. And it's really pretty.. I can't help but gaze at it every so often.. :allears:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I'm desperate for help guys. Wife's 2005 mazda 6i automatic. The battery light kicked on yesterday. Assumed that the alternator that I replaced in June died. Super pissed off I went and bought another remanufactured unit to swap out at home so I could take it back for a refund.

Just got done with the swap and the light is still on after starting. If I rev the piss out of it (4 grand or better) the light goes off. I let the car idle with the lights on and watched them get dimmer. So the car is definitely not getting enough juice. What else could it be? Where else should I be looking?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

BraveUlysses posted:

I know you're looking for a base model but I figured I'd share my experiences about my GT model (in Canada GT is the fully loaded spec minus the leather and blind spot monitoring/brake assist packages).

The 2.5L engine is smooth as silk, though I find I have to use premium gas to get that sensation. I know it's factory recommended for regular but the car shakes and has a rough acceleration on regular. The car is gorgeous, I got it in Soul Red Mica and I don't regret spending the extra money at all.

I imagine steering wheel feedback is still somewhat numb compared to a BMW or a Scion FRS but it's still enough that you feel really great driving it. It's smooth, handles really well and has minimal body roll. The nav system has a lot of bugs that I have to fix under warranty via software updates but other than that it's super easy to use and very intuitive for me. If I had any complaints it would probably be how thin and flimsy the paint and sheet metal feel and how disappointing the Bose sound system mine came with is. The keyless entry system can be a little janky sometimes as well.

Overall I'd say it's the best car in its class.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

wa27 posted:

My 2008 doesn't have a USB port, just an aux jack and second cigarette lighter in the arm rest.

Even my 2012 Mazda 3 doesn't have a USB port. They were incredibly late to the game on that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Somewhat Heroic posted:

2005 mazda 6i automatic. The battery light kicked on yesterday...bought another remanufactured unit to swap out...the light is still on. What else could it be? Where else should I be looking?

Exchange the alternator. Remanufactured units have a dismal failure rate, I just went through this with my wife's '03 6i about two months ago and had similar results - first reman unit from NAPA failed two days after I put it in, the second is still going but I'm hanging on to the receipt just in case.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Have any of you switched off the stock wheels on the last gen 3 (I guess they're 17s)? I was considering switching to some old steelies off an '05 or so corolla (if the bolt pattern even matches) to see if I could get better wear and possibly less noise.

I'm doing almost exclusively highway driving and will keep all-season tires on them, but I was curious if anyone had tried it and noticed much difference.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Have any of you switched off the stock wheels on the last gen 3 (I guess they're 17s)? I was considering switching to some old steelies off an '05 or so corolla (if the bolt pattern even matches) to see if I could get better wear and possibly less noise.

I'm doing almost exclusively highway driving and will keep all-season tires on them, but I was curious if anyone had tried it and noticed much difference.

Looks like the Corolla uses 5x100 while the Mazda is 5x114.

You might be able to find some 15 inch steel rims from a lower trim level 1st or 2nd generation Mazda 3 or 5 for a decent price?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't know about the newer years but on the first Gen supposedly only the 2.0L can take 15" wheels. 2.3 and Mazda speed require at least 16" wheels.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Cheers for the info, just kind of brainstorming since 35k on a set of tires seems really poor to me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3's are pretty notorious tire eaters because of the camber, unfortunately.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Cheers for the info, just kind of brainstorming since 35k on a set of tires seems really poor to me.

Were they the stockers or a replacement set? the stock Yokohamas are barely rated above 30K. Mine were showing wear bars right around 29K.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

3's are pretty notorious tire eaters because of the camber, unfortunately.

The price you pay for jinba ittai.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Stock - I didn't realize they were rated so poorly, but oh well. Since changing wheels may be more trouble than it's worth, which of the replacement brands have you guys found to be best? I think the dunlops were rated decently on TireRack but I'm clueless on the other brands/etc I've found.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The actual model matters a lot. Check out Tirerack.com for user ratings and also discounttire.com.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of tires, anyone using Pirelli Cinturato P7s (the V-rated not H-rated version)? TireRack seems to like them and I'm looking for a set in the next month or so. Probably going to do shocks and struts while I'm at it, too.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Stock - I didn't realize they were rated so poorly, but oh well. Since changing wheels may be more trouble than it's worth, which of the replacement brands have you guys found to be best? I think the dunlops were rated decently on TireRack but I'm clueless on the other brands/etc I've found.

You had mentioned 17 inch stock rims which means you're probably using 205/50R17? Just anecdotally I had a 2008 3 with that size, granted that makes it a first generation versus second but I don't think the two were that different besides the skin and engine? The car came with Goodyear Eagle RSAs that were garbage in every sense and barely lasted 30k. I stumbled across a good deal on a set of Goodyear Tripletreads which were okay, nice and relatively quiet and stuck to wet pavement well but started to wear really weird after around 40k miles (they're an 80k tire). A set of Goodyear Eagle Sport AS replaced those, outstanding handling but noisy as gently caress. The Tripletreads also do well on packed snow and ice in very cold conditions, but all three tire models will try to kill you in slush and wet snow.

All things considered I probably should've given the Michelin Pilot AS a shot after the Tripletreads.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Correct, that's the size the dealer sent me (I quickly and politely declined their $1000 offer for some new Yokohamas). I was looking at michelins but somehow missed those first time around (costco had a special going which is of course done now).

From tire rack, it looks like the top three choices are the Pirelli cinturatos mentioned above, Michelin premier a/s, or perhaps a continental. I'm driving in south Texas so I figure an all-season is best.

Are the wear bars for you guys getting noisy before the 2/32 rule?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Is that really considered poor? Do you not have any corners in your part of the world?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

dissss posted:

Is that really considered poor? Do you not have any corners in your part of the world?

It's entirely possible that my memory is serving me particularly poorly, but from past experience, I get the notion that you should at least get 50k out of a set of decent tires (and I realize that orig equip tires don't always qualify), and plenty of these we're discussing have a 70k warranty (for whatever that's worth). I realize I'm probably the village idiot with most things here, so maybe my numbers are unrealistic.

What gets me the most is the 90+ dB of road noise (and my memory from the first year of ownership may also be failing me here) for hours on end when I drive on highways - I haven't noticed any real degradation in handling with the tires but maybe I just need to cave and do it. The only thing it can really be now is the wear bars.

Edit: I hope I don't come off as ungrateful on any of this, I do appreciate any and all input/discussion.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Correct, that's the size the dealer sent me (I quickly and politely declined their $1000 offer for some new Yokohamas). I was looking at michelins but somehow missed those first time around (costco had a special going which is of course done now).

From tire rack, it looks like the top three choices are the Pirelli cinturatos mentioned above, Michelin premier a/s, or perhaps a continental. I'm driving in south Texas so I figure an all-season is best.

Are the wear bars for you guys getting noisy before the 2/32 rule?

Wait what? South Texas is prime time summer tire weather. All seasons are only going to help in the snow/slush. Summers are just as capable in the wet. Get some Continental ExtremeContact DW.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

It's entirely possible that my memory is serving me particularly poorly, but from past experience, I get the notion that you should at least get 50k out of a set of decent tires (and I realize that orig equip tires don't always qualify), and plenty of these we're discussing have a 70k warranty (for whatever that's worth). I realize I'm probably the village idiot with most things here, so maybe my numbers are unrealistic.

What gets me the most is the 90+ dB of road noise (and my memory from the first year of ownership may also be failing me here) for hours on end when I drive on highways - I haven't noticed any real degradation in handling with the tires but maybe I just need to cave and do it. The only thing it can really be now is the wear bars.

Edit: I hope I don't come off as ungrateful on any of this, I do appreciate any and all input/discussion.

It might be starting to change but 5-7 or more years ago at 205/50VR17 most tire manufacturers were reluctant to offer any sort of tread warranty. I would assume this is because of the lowish profile and high speed rating suggests the driver would tend toward aggressive habits that would negatively impact a tire and potentially put them on the hook for warranty. Frankly I'd be happy with anything rated for 50k at that size and rating, I think Goodyear was overplaying their hand with Tripletreads at V and 80.

Also Mazda3s are just noisy cars for highway travel in general, unfortunately. Those Goodyear Eagle AS tires were pretty drat noisy new at 11/32 let alone what they'd sound like at 4 or 3/32.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fabulousity posted:

Also Mazda3s are just noisy cars for highway travel in general, unfortunately.

This is my one real complaint about my car. It just gets loud at 60mph.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Why did I buy a car to muck with its head unit's firmware? :suicide:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

CharlesM posted:

This is my one real complaint about my car. It just gets loud at 60mph.

I guess I just forgot about this while I was gone/not driving it for a year, I genuinely don't remember it being like this in the first year after I bought it. I will definitely be looking into some noise insulating stuff after it's paid off. I will check into strictly summer tires as well.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

b0lt posted:

Why did I buy a car to muck with its head unit's firmware? :suicide:

I've been tempted to look into messing around in mine as well, but I don't have any android experience. So far the only setting I would want to change is turn off the turn by turn voice so it stops muting the front left speakers even when you have the volume set all the way down in the nav.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love my Speed, but it really could stand to have something like this along the bottom of the rear doors

Thing came with a hood scoop and a great big spoiler, it's not like it's trying to come off like a sleeper like the first-gen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phy posted:

I love my Speed, but it really could stand to have something like this along the bottom of the rear doors

Thing came with a hood scoop and a great big spoiler, it's not like it's trying to come off like a sleeper like the first-gen

Eh, just buy some timbo badges. Cheaper and easier.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Alighieri posted:

I've been tempted to look into messing around in mine as well, but I don't have any android experience. So far the only setting I would want to change is turn off the turn by turn voice so it stops muting the front left speakers even when you have the volume set all the way down in the nav.

Supposedly this is fixed by the newest firmware version, are you on 33.00.500?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

b0lt posted:

Supposedly this is fixed by the newest firmware version, are you on 33.00.500?

28.00.100 Calling dealer to schedule an update.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Is there something wrong with the stock MS3 tires? I don't even have 15k miles and this is the second tire I've gotten a bulge in. First was at just over 100mi. Ugh.

I go to a local tire shop... What is a good all season tire for the 2013 MS3?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I thought the stock Dunlops were pretty good, but they only lasted me about 25 000 kms. I'm kind of a jerk and I'm hard on tires, I don't know if I ever had any last much longer even on my old Focus or Neon.

I'm not sure what the climate is where you live but all season tires seem like a weird choice for the Speed3.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
We're heading into winter in Indiana. A few years back we got three inches of ice in one day, and I think last year we got about a foot of snow on a single night. I don't plan on being a super rally car driver, but I do need to get out sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aexo posted:

We're heading into winter in Indiana. A few years back we got three inches of ice in one day, and I think last year we got about a foot of snow on a single night. I don't plan on being a super rally car driver, but I do need to get out sometimes.

Screw that, hermit life for me. It doesn't hurt that I live 5 minutes from work and 8 minutes from my primary grocery store. What part of the state are you in?