Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

They refused it because they saw the original design and saw that it could be improved by making it less complicated, which just wouldn't do at all.

For reference, I may be remembering this wrong, but I believe Felix Wankel's first running prototype had the rotor spinning in place, and what we know today as the housing spin with it, inside of a larger, circular housing.

Fake edit: Yup, behold the Drehkolbenmotor 54. Looks like it works more like an oil pump, with rotor and inner housing spinning on offset axes to drive the eccentric shaft:

When wankel saw the revised design he said 'You've turned my thoroughbred into a pack mule!' or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

1500quidporsche posted:

VAG gets their own special category for german engineering. Their engines defy all logic and reality but run perfectly fine so long as the electrics haven't failed yet.

Every company has their own engineering mantra in some form or another. VAG's just happens to summon one of the Old Ones if spoken by insufficiently trained.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrYenko posted:

When talking about odd-ball engineering solutions, the answer is always the Germans.

It would take me at least a week to get all those cables connected to the distributor in the right order.

edit - phone posting and I actually zoomed in, haha there's two dizzy's on it. I'd never get it out of the driveway.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

original content... taken in Missouri of course

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

original content... taken in Missouri of course

Wow, those BMW i3's do look like they're hiding the back end of another car in them.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Well obviously it would have been too wide then. What are you, a loving moron or something?

I mean honestly, what sort of company would make a flat 12? That's just ridiculous.
Not just the Germans, as stated above, but also those crazy Italians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Berlinetta_Boxer

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Interesting combination of messages.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anti-peta bible thumper with diarrhea that shops at Hot Topic.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

VAG gets their own special category for german engineering. Their engines defy all logic and reality but run perfectly fine so long as the electrics haven't failed yet.

Don't forget about the VR engines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Let me just park my piece of poo poo perpendicularly when there's more than enough space to do it like a normal person :argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Weren't those designed to park that way so more cars can fit on the street?

Not that it's legal in a lot of places.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Not just the Germans, as stated above, but also those crazy Italians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Berlinetta_Boxer

quote:

others

I was trying to be facetious, you know.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I still can't believe that goddamn fan was enough to cool that thing. Can you imagine how much heat that thing must put out at WOT?

It wasn't just that fan, there were also giant oil coolers and something like 20 liters of oil in the sump.

Even the air cooled 911s had relatively stupid amounts of oil coursing around them- a 993 needs like 10 quarts for an oil change.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
10 quarts isn't all that insane these days.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Let me just park my piece of poo poo perpendicularly when there's more than enough space to do it like a normal person :argh:

It's as long as the others are wide, who cares?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

Everyone on the road when he tries to back that poo poo straight into traffic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:stare:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321616690332

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm torn between:

Interstate 76 looked poo poo with low polygon count

And:

Nice papercraft, what's it meant to be?

Either way :stare: That's not worth £500.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

It's about 2-3ft longer than the Jetta.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BlackMK4 posted:

10 quarts isn't all that insane these days.

If anything 10 quarts isn't enough - my M3's V8 (displacing 4.0L) with its twin pump oiling system required 9 liters of oil. The Viper's V10 displacing 8.4L only requires 11L of oil. This bothers me.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Das Volk posted:

If anything 10 quarts isn't enough - my M3's V8 (displacing 4.0L) with its twin pump oiling system required 9 liters of oil. The Viper's V10 displacing 8.4L only requires 11L of oil. This bothers me.

My 6.4L V8 only requires 4.5L of oil and hasn't blown up yet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

When wankel saw the revised design he said 'You've turned my thoroughbred into a pack mule!' or something to that effect.
IIRC his original design required disassembling almost the entire engine to replace the spark plugs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Das Volk posted:

The BMW took nearly as much oil because it has overhead cams which requires pumping more oil to the heads. The viper only has one cam and half the valves and rockers to lubricate per cylinder.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

jamal posted:

The BMW took nearly as much oil because it has overhead cams which requires pumping more oil to the heads. The viper only has one cam and half the valves and rockers to lubricate per cylinder.

What I'm really getting at is a wet sump is not an adequate lubrication solution for that motor in my opinion.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Speaking of BMWs and inadequate oiling. I knew a guy with an E36 that swore up and down that his dealer had a special oil that only needed to be changed once a year despite him driving it regularly. Meanwhile huge clouds of blue smoke came out whenever this thing started up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Das Volk posted:

What I'm really getting at is a wet sump is not an adequate lubrication solution for that motor in my opinion.

I didn't realize and am somewhat shocked that the Viper motor is wet sump. Was/is dry sump an option/standard, perhaps on one of the hotted up varieties, like the TA?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

The viper isn't OHC so there isn't really much point. DOHC engines tend to have inflated oil capacities because so much of it is tied up in the heads lubing the cams and lifters and timing chain (if present). I was amazed at how little oil a 3.8 GM v6 takes compared to a toyota 2GR-FE or nissan VQ35.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The viper isn't OHC so there isn't really much point. DOHC engines tend to have inflated oil capacities because so much of it is tied up in the heads lubing the cams and lifters and timing chain (if present). I was amazed at how little oil a 3.8 GM v6 takes compared to a toyota 2GR-FE or nissan VQ35.
Corvette is dry sump, but I suspect it's for packaging reasons.

Either way, referring to displacement numbers for comparison is rather odd. The volume of combustion chamber has no relevance to the amount of fluids elsewhere.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

That's, uh, kind of the point of having a smart car, this is extremely common in european cities. There was probably a different car parked where the black opel or whatever is in front there when the smart car arrived.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Corvette is dry sump, but I suspect it's for packaging reasons.

Either way, referring to displacement numbers for comparison is rather odd. The volume of combustion chamber has no relevance to the amount of fluids elsewhere.

Yeah. I was making my comparison on the basis of them all being large v6 engines in comparable vehicles (commodore, aurion, maxima). From what I can tell, you need more oil for SOHC than OHV, then more still for DOHC, then even more for DOHC with chain driven cams and VVTI. On a pushrod engine the oil is all concentrated down the bottom where the important bits are; the rocker arms seem to be able to live with splash lubrication and not much else. In OHC engines there are spinning bearing surfaces and sliding, close-fitting parts in the cylinder head so oil needs to be forced up there in substantial quantities to keep everything kosher. This seems to be backed up by early OHC engines having head oiling issues regardless of make. M10/M30 BMW springs to mind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's, uh, kind of the point of having a smart car, this is extremely common in european cities. There was probably a different car parked where the black opel or whatever is in front there when the smart car arrived.
The only issues I see are that they should have backed it in, and I'm used to streets/parking spaces where you're pushing your luck on the available width to do that. They may be short, but they're a lot longer than the average car is wide. Maybe in the states it'd work ok, but around here, a truck's going to take out whichever end is facing the road in short order.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Counterpoint: US drivers will likely be texting and hit the car anyhow, even with the wider roads since driver training in the US primarily consists of "Can you find the DMV? Yes? Here's a license"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

IIRC his original design required disassembling almost the entire engine to replace the spark plugs.

Germans had a problem with that?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

will.i.am strikes again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

will.i.am strikes again.
It's not that bad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Uthor posted:

Germans had a problem with that?
No everything was perfect until the Japanese ruined it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

InitialDave posted:

It's not that bad.

No, but it's Top Gear bad.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Seems like this particular bro dude didn't have enough money for 5 ridiculous rims and tires and was driving on the stock sized spare down the highway. Anybody care to guess how long before that diff blows to kingdom come?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VOR LOC posted:

Seems like this particular bro dude didn't have enough money for 5 ridiculous rims and tires and was driving on the stock sized spare down the highway. Anybody care to guess how long before that diff blows to kingdom come?

Probably a long time, I doubt he's got a locker in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Horse Divorce posted:

Like VW's V5 and Audi's inline 5?

The inline 5 was the best engine Audi made :colbert: