Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Combat in the sidewinder, even freagle, is butts and I can't find anything worth the time to kill at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sylink posted:

Combat in the sidewinder, even freagle, is butts and I can't find anything worth the time to kill at that level.

Have you tried a combat zone? Aim for weakened enemies, get 3k credits per kill steal. The little fighter ships are like money pinatas they melt so fast. What weapons are you using? Switch to double (or triple) machine gun and watch that hull melt.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

GlyphGryph posted:

This doesn't seem to be true. I was confused by people saying this last night, but when I interdict people they do not need to be rescanned.

That's because they fixed it. :ssh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Frank Horrigan posted:

That's because they fixed it. :ssh:

Oh poo poo, they did? I missed that entirely. loving Frontier being all on top of poo poo and stuff. :allears:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Couple outfitting questions -

For thrusters, does having optimal mass increase mobility and being farther away decrease? Obviously being over maximum mass isn't good. I'm at a mass of around 115 with optimal at 90 and max at 135, should I try to decrease my mass closer to optimal?

For power, does it matter how much spare power you have after deploying hardpoints? For example is being at 9.5 out of 10.0 effectively the same as being 5.5 out of 10.0?

Almost took out an expert Anaconda today in my Viper, had it down to 3% before making the bad decision of switching power to weapons to try to finish it in one fell swoop (I didn't). 2/2 deaths so far have been to rear end in a top hat Anacondas.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So no matter how bad the spergs on the Frontier forums get, they'll never be as bad as that other game's.

Look at that poo poo. "Am I so good because I'm so smart, or because I'm so rich? Rand Paul 2016!"

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Have you tried a combat zone? Aim for weakened enemies, get 3k credits per kill steal. The little fighter ships are like money pinatas they melt so fast. What weapons are you using? Switch to double (or triple) machine gun and watch that hull melt.

Ok, how do I find these combat zones? Is this a random thing like the other sites? Or can I look this up somewhere/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sylink posted:

Ok, how do I find these combat zones? Is this a random thing like the other sites? Or can I look this up somewhere/

Check the news, there's two very easy to find combat zones in them right now. Getting there might take some jumps though!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ah ok! There is one at Kappa then I take it for the blockade or ?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I've found there's a range on this, actually. Unless you're close enough, they won't show up at all. Same for conflict zones and nav points.

Something neat I've found about them is that you can actually lock on from any range, but they won't show up as being RES's. You have to just kind of look in the right direction, then a target with a distance but no name will show up and you can lock on to that. When you get close enough, like within 1000 Ls, you can see that it's a RES. I've found quite a few planets that way.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sylink posted:

Ah ok! There is one at Kappa then I take it for the blockade or ?

You can pick your faction once you're there (right sub panel in functions). You get 3k for each kill. Though you'll want to turn them in at appropriate stations (Contacts then combat bonds). Also be sure to take missions for whatever faction you support for warzone kills. It modifies their influence, gives you more money, and increases your rep.

Raziel Eldwor
Mar 23, 2013

Sylink posted:

Sidewinder is pretty good against NPCs really. Sell your Eagle and upgrade the Sidewinder's internals to D class. Buy some better lasers. The cheaper autocannons suck and are only good for eating your money. When you are fighting you want your power management on engines and weapons.

Focus on lower class Eagles. You can take out Vipers or Cobras. They are easier to fight since they don't have the Eagle's turret but they take longer.

There's something strange about the Beam Laser. Once their power had run out (at 3 or 4 ticks in weapon power) they shoot in quick flickering bursts as you might expect. Their damage however didn't seem to drop off though. Indeed, they almost seemed to do more damage. Maybe I was just imagining things :shrug:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Arach posted:

Kappa Fornacis
Independent Dictatorship - 70LYs out of Sol

- HarvestPort selling Onionhead. Rare item. Illegal. Allocation is coming in around 1-5 amounts at around 765cr per unit. :catdrugs:
- HarvestPort has high demand for Personal Weapons, and is selling 4.7k CR per ton.
- Three Federation capital ships orbit Panem
- High Intensity Conflict Zone
- Federation checkpoints around the first three planets. Which is basically just bunch of Elite Fed fighters screaming FREEDOM!

Is HarvestPort an outpost? If so then bringing in Personal Weapons would be really easy... (or are they just not illegal there?)

If it is I'll just fill my Adder with a load of them and head over there since I'm pretty sure I can buy them near Jotunheim.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 19, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LCL-Dead posted:

I too started in LT 15449, sold the Freagle...
...I've been interdicted all of 2 times.
...Did some mining
...TL;DR - LT 15449 and the surrounding systems do not suck at all.

I'm going to open with how this is wonderful noncombat advice for people who are not stubbornly trying to avoid selling their Freegle to fund "Can actually buy a mining laser and poo poo when missions refuse to spawn." (PS only two interdiction attempts on you? You bastard.)

But, trying to noncombat your way into money without selling the Freegle while missions beyond "go kill an annaconda for us" refuse to spawn, and every other import you look up is selling for less than the Galactic average (I wonder if you had anything do to with platinum selling for less than GA in some stations?) Ha. Haha. hahahahaha. Most of my money before selling the Freegle was from bizarre "We won't buy lots of system data from 7 systems away for more than 1k. but we will buy the basic scan of the planet we are orbiting for good cash" stuff, steadily being drained by fuel and repair fees.

Life is loving GREAT after I broke down and sold my freegle though. Suddenly places that refused to give me anything but empty boards or "go kill an annaconda somewhere, you can do it!" passing through and waiting dozens of times are nonstop 1-4 cargo haulage and 0 cargo courier missions. NPC interdiction attempts have also mysteriously dropped from practically once a system, to one whole time against my Hauler. EDIT: Last night I went from Fresh stock Hauler and 6k banked, to Class D everything upgrades and 26k banked in like three hours of "oh hey there are multiple missions where I landed, and then there are missions where those lead me, and missions where those lead me back to where I started, and-" after the times I poked at Gamma and first several hours after launch being pretty much nothing for ol Sidey.

I'd wonder if selling the freegle counted towards sales to a Federation cred, but even the independent platforms are systems away are handing me "A sidewinder could have done this" missions now. I guess all those people who didn't trust a stock sidewinder with basic missions, think a white paneled space van is a lot more trustworthy?

EDIT: vvv Adam, When there was likely gonna be a gamma wipe, you'd be right at home in the thread. You missed your window.

More seriously, RNG can be a cruel mistress. All I can say is run the tutorials if you, haven't read up some wiki stuff, maybe some youtube videos. Then hope you have something else to fall back on than "make your own sandbox fun" for space cash if you can't bounty hunt so well in a stock sidewinder, or get enough missions you can pull off to spawn to afford a mining laser+refinery.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 19, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

acumen posted:

Couple outfitting questions -

For thrusters, does having optimal mass increase mobility and being farther away decrease? Obviously being over maximum mass isn't good. I'm at a mass of around 115 with optimal at 90 and max at 135, should I try to decrease my mass closer to optimal?

For power, does it matter how much spare power you have after deploying hardpoints? For example is being at 9.5 out of 10.0 effectively the same as being 5.5 out of 10.0?

Almost took out an expert Anaconda today in my Viper, had it down to 3% before making the bad decision of switching power to weapons to try to finish it in one fell swoop (I didn't). 2/2 deaths so far have been to rear end in a top hat Anacondas.

As far as I understand it, optimal mass is how heavy you can be before taking agility penalties. Being under it doesn't give you any extra bonuses that I know of.

With regards to power, any extra power you have after deployment is essentially wasted. Having extra doesn't do you any favors, but it doesn't hurt either.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I really wanted to like this game, enough so that I dropped $60 and then bought a $200 joystick (not just for this game, it'll get use in a few other games at least) but this is crap. I just spent 2 hours playing and the end result is that I have about 800 less credits than I started with; between taking combat quests and going to the system I'm supposed to only to find nothing there, taking trader quests and then finding that the item I'm supposed to buy is about 200 LY away OR the station suddenly decides they no longer want the item at all, or jumping into a system and having to spend literally 15 minutes staring at dots while my ship flies to one of the stations, I am left bored out of my loving mind. I get that they want our minds to boggle with the glorious size of space, but spending 90% of game time traveling around at warp speed and doing jack poo poo is not fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Adam Bowen posted:

I really wanted to like this game, enough so that I dropped $60 and then bought a $200 joystick (not just for this game, it'll get use in a few other games at least) but this is crap. I just spent 2 hours playing and the end result is that I have about 800 less credits than I started with; between taking combat quests and going to the system I'm supposed to only to find nothing there, taking trader quests and then finding that the item I'm supposed to buy is about 200 LY away OR the station suddenly decides they no longer want the item at all, or jumping into a system and having to spend literally 15 minutes staring at dots while my ship flies to one of the stations, I am left bored out of my loving mind. I get that they want our minds to boggle with the glorious size of space, but spending 90% of game time traveling around at warp speed and doing jack poo poo is not fun.

:nallears:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Not that this game doesn't have its share of bugs but the problem seems to exist between your chair and monitor, not the game itself. Maybe if you'd read this thread or asked questions before getting really frustrated you'd have had a better experience but you might want to step back for a day and when you come back, try again and read the discussion and tips in this thread and ask specific questions about things you're having trouble with.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'd love to know how I can fix being told "Go here and kill 4 of these dudes" and then arriving to find the system is completely empty and there are no dudes to kill, or how to fix being sent to a specific station and it taking 15+ minutes at maximum warp once you arrive in the system.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sylink posted:

Really? Hanging out in resource extraction zones I can normally find a couple Cobras that have a 10k bounty on them after a while. But sometimes I guess I have to leave and come back.

ALSO: What grouping mechanics are implemented? I play alone so I don't know how much stuff is in. Can you, for instance, trade money yet? Or link up in a space convoy?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I'd love to know how I can fix being told "Go here and kill 4 of these dudes" and then arriving to find the system is completely empty and there are no dudes to kill, or how to fix being sent to a specific station and it taking 15+ minutes at maximum warp once you arrive in the system.
By asking in this thread about those missions and being told that they are kinda bullshit missions and you should pursue other avenues of combat that are both more fun and better money.

Also avoid doing missions when possible around systems that have stations > 2000 Ls from the jump-in point I guess? I dunno, it's not common enough to bother me and even Kimura Station in Atlantis is ~3500Ls from the jump-in point and it only takes me a few minutes, most travel is quicker than that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Grondoth posted:

ALSO: What grouping mechanics are implemented? I play alone so I don't know how much stuff is in. Can you, for instance, trade money yet? Or link up in a space convoy?
No and no. Those things are coming in the group mechanics update in January apparently.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Adam,
Then go to a resource extraction zone to shoot pirate up whenever you get bored. The combat in this game is pretty fun

Use that to kit yourself out for an Exodus to Harry's, and use the private tthread for enough local info to make things a lot easier to figure out.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

I had this same problem, the key is to equip your scanner to a fire group, then scan during supercruise.

Unidentified signal soruces will show up, stop there and most of the time the first one will have your relevant mission target.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm in my Sidewinder, pulling as many G's as it can while doing a half loop that brings me in line with the docking envelope and there's a Type 9 exiting. poo poo poo poo poo poo full power to shields!

...I'm okay? I'm okay! Phew! Oh. The Type 9 is now perpendicular inside the docking envelope... :toot:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Adam Bowen posted:

or how to fix being sent to a specific station and it taking 15+ minutes at maximum warp once you arrive in the system.

Yeah, this happened to me on the first mission I took. Turns out one of the systems that is near a common starting place for new players, has stations like 150 thousand light seconds away from the hyperspace entry point. Most stations are at most 3 thousand light seconds from the entry point, in the rest of space. I just started avoiding that particular system and didn't have any more excessive warp travel times.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Not that it's the best comparison but the travel in this game is so, so much faster generally than it was in Eve Online, particularly in the early days of that game. Once you've got a fuel scoop so you don't have to dock to refuel you can do 20 jumps in about 20-25 minutes, the same thing would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the early days of Eve (and there was no fuel to worry about in that game).

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Kenshin posted:

No and no. Those things are coming in the group mechanics update in January apparently.

Bah. Oh well, nothin' I can do.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Is HarvestPort an outpost? If so then bringing in Personal Weapons would be really easy... (or are they just not illegal there?)

If it is I'll just fill my Adder with a load of them and head over there since I'm pretty sure I can buy them near Jotunheim.
Harvestport is a space station but the system is basically a narcostate: only slaves and toxic waste are illegal.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

It's a full size station, not an outpost, Personal Weapons are not prohibited by the local authorities.

The high demand is listed at about 1500 units. I guess at around 1000 it'll probably go back to medium.

Arach fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 20, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, somehow I jumped around in circles today. After several hours of doing stupid poo poo like instigating Pro-Alliance uprisings in neutral systems, I've ended up right back where I was, about halfway to the Alliance-border to empty space. Welp, I guess I have to try again tomorrow. Still about 20k exploration left I can't sell because I never left this part of space in the first place. :shepface:

This time I wrote down the Alliance-system I was targeting, so I don't end up flying in the wrong direction again. Other things I did today: Tested my fuel scoop, got almost burned to death, upgraded fuel scoop to a larger, less shittier version.

Fun times, all in all. Now I'll just have to decide which border-system I mark down as my base to sell exploration-data to when I come back from the endless night.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kenshin posted:

Not that it's the best comparison but the travel in this game is so, so much faster generally than it was in Eve Online, particularly in the early days of that game. Once you've got a fuel scoop so you don't have to dock to refuel you can do 20 jumps in about 20-25 minutes, the same thing would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the early days of Eve (and there was no fuel to worry about in that game).

Well, more importantly (I think), travel in this game is fun and much more visceral than it is in EVE (right-click gate, select 'jump and warp' x {number of jumps}). Aligning vectors, managing speeds, dodging god drat stars. That stuff is a core part of the gameplay. Granted, if you hate it, you probably won't like the game.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Well, more importantly (I think), travel in this game is fun and much more visceral than it is in EVE (right-click gate, select 'jump and warp' x {number of jumps}). Aligning vectors, managing speeds, dodging god drat stars. That stuff is a core part of the gameplay. Granted, if you hate it, you probably won't like the game.
That too. I love that I can curve around things and have freedom of movement in supercruise instead of it always being a<->b travel.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Not every system is particularly interesting but often you'll come across something that's really interesting, like a volcanic ball of intense burning hatred that happens to have an outpost that sells metals for cheap or whatnot.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Adam Bowen posted:

Go to unidentified signal sources, they pop up like little instances as you super cruise around a system, or travel to a nav point, or a conflict zone or a resource extraction site.

For your second point, it is bullshit. A bunch of people will say "Space is big, get used to it" :downs: but it really is inexcusable. The only way to do it is to check your map before accepting a mission, and if the station is too far away, don't bother. I sort of like having systems that are so far apart in the game, it makes it feel massive, but there absolutely needs to be a better way to suss out how long a mission is gonna take in travel time. I suggested making station names hyperlinks that when clicked on open the system information for it in the system map.

It does suck, and unfortunately the game requires a lot of polish still and needs a bit of outside knowledge before diving in to avoid frustration, but stick with it, there is a gooey core of awesome game underneath it all.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

It does suck, and unfortunately the game requires a lot of polish still and needs a bit of outside knowledge before diving in to avoid frustration, but stick with it, there is a gooey core of awesome game underneath it all.
Truth.

How much you enjoy this game will depend on:
a) how tolerant you are of sometimes things not working correctly or being wonky or counter-intuitive
b) how much you want to explore space. If you don't give a poo poo and just want to shoot spaceships there are other games out there that you'll be happier with (not being sarcastic there are some genuinely good indie space combat games out there such as GoD Factory: Wingmen that will satisfy those cravings)

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Uh oh, someone heard me bad mouthing the cops and the top brass are after me now :ohdear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Deadly Hume posted:

Not every system is particularly interesting but often you'll come across something that's really interesting, like a volcanic ball of intense burning hatred that happens to have an outpost that sells metals for cheap or whatnot.

The funny thing is, if you're like me, bumbling around with a basic scanner, you miss a lot because sometimes planets or even entire suns are too far away to get to them. People good at Elite (not me), can try to find stuff by looking at the stars or something and then just move to it until it is in scan range. Me, I have to either get lucky or get a system with some stations in -stations are always showing up thanks to all those radio signals and stuff coming from them like a beacon in the night.

A lot of planets and crap I could only find by supercruising to a far away station, dropping scan shockwaves all the way to it to find the planet/moon/whatever the station is orbiting.

It's kind of exciting, but I can't wait until I have enough money for better scanners, 500 lightseconds sounds impressive, but it really isn't after you just jumped into the twentieth system with planets just barely out of reach of your basic discovery scanner.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Alright I got this poo poo down - new bounty changes are great and I sniped a 40k one in my sidewinder with an NPC anaconda buddy pounding on an ASP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think I need to read more about black markets and such. I just failed a "Rank Up!" mission because I couldn't source a quartet of combat stabilizers, and I definitely can't find a place that legitimately exports them.

• Locked thread