Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

Also, he's a bag of dicks and his soul is a black hole of joy, so he wouldn't have fit in there.
Then why was Henry Kissinger there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes and they had a one night stand. The bear promised to call!

I was also half expecting the guy with Santa to be Letterman.

I'm really surprised Letterman didn't show up, but eh.

That was a good sendoff, but I really don't have high hopes for the Nightly Show. Larry Whitmore has never been funny to me; him and the guy that was the PC on those insipid apple commercials fall flat 100% of the time.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Wilmore is amazing in field pieces but I have no idea how he'll do behind the desk.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yes if there's one thing john hodgeman does it's fall flat

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the real challenge with the Nightly Show is for him to establish a different voice.

The Colbert Report worked opposite the daily show because Colbert was playing a character so even when they were covering the same material, there was a different bend on it. The real question is, how will that work for The Nightly Show?

At this point, we'll just have to have trust that they figured out a way to do it right and make the decision about it after it airs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Have you only been exposed to Wilmore via The Daily Show? The guy has a huge history and knows how to write. Frankly, a look at the days news from the perspective of a minority and how it fits into the larger spectrum is something with a lot of potential. I have faith and look forward to it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

As I was watching, I thought, "Oh, hey, there's Matt Taibbi. And whoa, holy poo poo there's Tom Friedman—I wonder if they talked!" And as it turns out, Friedman went up to Taibbi before or after the show and they had a cordial conversation, per Taibbi's Twitter. Man, I would have liked to have heard taht.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've been watching every night since the Smaug episode normally I'm not a viewer of either program anymore, and it's weird how good the Report was (I grew tired of it about around three years in) and how tired TDS is. I realize this is partly because there's only like three good correspondents right now (maybe two since Larry is gone, now Jason Jones and Jessica Williams are all that make me reliably laugh), but it really is just therapeutic catharsis for people who vote for Democrats but hate it, with little other value.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So sad, but I'm glad they gave the character a happy ending :unsmith:

Boywhiz88 posted:

Have you only been exposed to Wilmore via The Daily Show? The guy has a huge history and knows how to write. Frankly, a look at the days news from the perspective of a minority and how it fits into the larger spectrum is something with a lot of potential. I have faith and look forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to it. The timing with recent events is also an opportunity for the show to start with a bang, I think.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

bull3964 posted:

I think the real challenge with the Nightly Show is for him to establish a different voice.

The Colbert Report worked opposite the daily show because Colbert was playing a character so even when they were covering the same material, there was a different bend on it. The real question is, how will that work for The Nightly Show?

At this point, we'll just have to have trust that they figured out a way to do it right and make the decision about it after it airs.

One thing is for sure, it will be different.

I think he will manage no problem tho. Stephen has often shown his real personality, and people seemed to enjoy him just as much.
What I really hope, is that his format will be different than others. Night shows are all the same, just with a different band and host. I just don't see Colbert in that format... It will be interesting to see his version.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't think someone like Colbert would just give in and do the "safe" and obvious version of a late night show Letterman does and Leno is known for doing. Colbert is genuinely talented and a smart guy and I'd think part of his deal with CBS to take over for Letterman was so he'd be able to make the show his own. I don't see him folding there, and as such I'm really looking forward to the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Was Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello there singing? I hope that both continue to appear on Colbert's show.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man this really made me cry. I'm from Germany and somehow I stumbled over TDS and the report back in 2006 and I don't think I have missed many episode of either since then. I know TDS is still around but it won't be the same without Stephen. This block of comedy acompanied me through high-school graduation and university and it probably played a huge role in how I see politics/politicians.

I hope you will enjoy your new show, Stephen.

Steve Vader posted:

For some reason, the whole celebrity montage, I kept thinking EMILY BAZELON BETTER BE THERE. And she was.

I hope she will show up on his new show too. I always enjoyed her appearances.

Edit: That guest list is loving crazy. Grover Norquist and Mike Huckabee :aaa:

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 19, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Was the german ambassador there? I didn't catch him.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I missed so many of his shows over the years, I feel like I've been cheated.
I'm gonna have to download/stream all of them.
Colbert Marathon would be nice

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

IRQ posted:

I'm really surprised Letterman didn't show up, but eh.

That was a good sendoff, but I really don't have high hopes for the Nightly Show. Larry Whitmore has never been funny to me; him and the guy that was the PC on those insipid apple commercials fall flat 100% of the time.

You do NOT get to slam His Supreme Honor Judge John Hodgman, you Philistine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dalael posted:

One thing is for sure, it will be different.

I think he will manage no problem tho. Stephen has often shown his real personality, and people seemed to enjoy him just as much.
What I really hope, is that his format will be different than others. Night shows are all the same, just with a different band and host. I just don't see Colbert in that format... It will be interesting to see his version.

I was talking about Wilmore in The Nightly Show.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I was talking about Wilmore in The Nightly Show.

My mistake... Don't know this wilmore guy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

IRQ posted:

The character's apolitical enough for The Late Show. I hope Colbert hasn't retired him.

I'm trying to think of people who didn't make an appearance in that song. John Oliver. John Lithgow. Jeff Goldblum. BD Wong. Russ Lieber? Alan?

I was really glad to see Stone Phillips. That's another bookend. And Yo-Yo Ma; the first Asian American President of the United States. And Kareem Abdul-Jabbar; because he's cool.

Changing subjects, I am concerned that Larry Wilmore is over-pitching his show as a comedy show for the underrepresented, etc. That's pretty much an invitation for Gawker, Salon, Tumblr, and Twitter to over-scrutinize the show. Opportunistic bloggers will literally keep score on how often he does and doesn't cover certain subjects. I'm unfamiliar with Wilmore's off-TDS comedy, but he might be able to address some criticisms before they even start by doing things that Stewart or Colbert wouldn't do. He has a chance to make his show pretty subversive; I hope he takes it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Larry Wilmore wrote for In Living Color, The Fresh Prince, The Office, The Bernie Mac show, and now he's producing Black-ish. Both his comedy and his minority cred are rock-solid. He'll be great.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I was hoping Ric Ocasek would show up with Stephen Jr on his arm.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Having joy in committing mass murder is still joy.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Wilmore is amazing in field pieces but I have no idea how he'll do behind the desk.

You probably could have said the same about Colbert 9 years ago.
Honestly I don't think Wilmore is as funny as Colbert, but I want him to do well and make white people feel uncomfortable. Just let me have this... :unsmith:

Craptacular! posted:

I've been watching every night since the Smaug episode normally I'm not a viewer of either program anymore, and it's weird how good the Report was (I grew tired of it about around three years in) and how tired TDS is. I realize this is partly because there's only like three good correspondents right now (maybe two since Larry is gone, now Jason Jones and Jessica Williams are all that make me reliably laugh), but it really is just therapeutic catharsis for people who vote for Democrats but hate it, with little other value.

I hope that South African guy shows up more often, his debut was great.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 20, 2014

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I converted from TDS into Colbert around 2012. Such an amazing run, it's a shame it had to end because it was literally getting better every month. The ending was so sweet. Can't wait for the CBS show

I'll check a few episodes the Nightly show I guess but my expectations are pretty low

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
That was a great finale. I'm interested to see how the new show goes, and it'll be refreshing to see him out of that persona after so long.

This video where he spends a few minutes talking about his mom's passing still breaks my heart. :smith:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Jesus, I remember that, but I hadn't remembered how shaken up he sounded. It must really have been devastating to give pause to somebody with a mastery of delivery as complete as Colbert.

Here's a happier one, one of my favorite bits of all time, the cardboard interview:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/9wxgc9/president-obama---the-colbert-interview

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Mo_Steel posted:

That was a great finale. I'm interested to see how the new show goes, and it'll be refreshing to see him out of that persona after so long.

This video where he spends a few minutes talking about his mom's passing still breaks my heart. :smith:

This really is one of the greatest things he ever did. We learned all about his mom in 3 minutes, and he seamlessly transitions into his character at the end.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Why would you do this to me

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

This really is one of the greatest things he ever did. We learned all about his mom in 3 minutes, and he seamlessly transitions into his character at the end.

The pause after he says "she was fun" and him explaining how his mom told him just before she had passed away that she wouldn't miss his show for the world are what get to me. It's really moving.

poty posted:

Why would you do this to me

Misery loves company. :smith::hf::smith:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 20, 2014

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I think this is the best Colbert bit of all time http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/clm6h7/the-enemy-within---apes-armed-with-ipads

I enjoyed all the Enemies Within and all the Cheating Deaths, and the Better Know A Districts, and...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

achillesforever6 posted:

"Zhee peeple must fear zhee madman Stephen Colbert."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
We're doing PYF?

The Word - Neutral Man's Burden

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Majorian posted:

You do NOT get to slam His Supreme Honor Judge John Hodgman, you Philistine.

Yeah I do, he's not funny. At all.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Old James posted:

I was hoping Ric Ocasek would show up with Stephen Jr on his arm.

I was just happy Ocasek showed up. I knew he would, but it still made me happy when I saw him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

IRQ posted:

wow look at how wrong this guy is

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure he was the guy playing Lincoln.

Is it known when Colbert's late show starts? Just looked it up and it looks like Letterman ain't leaving until May. That's a long time away :smith:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure he was the guy playing Lincoln.

Is it known when Colbert's late show starts? Just looked it up and it looks like Letterman ain't leaving until May. That's a long time away :smith:

I imagine it takes some time to start a show from scratch pretty much.,

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hakkesshu posted:

August/September

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

I think his books are hilarious but I don't really care for him in person either.

E: I've never listened to Judge John Hodgman though, although my mom keeps telling me she likes it. Podcasts aren't really my thing.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Larry Wilmore wrote for In Living Color, The Fresh Prince, The Office, The Bernie Mac show, and now he's producing Black-ish. Both his comedy and his minority cred are rock-solid. He'll be great.

I like Larry Wilmore, he was always good on TDS; the thing that worries me is that they changed the title of the show from Minority Report to The Nightly Show; I get why they had to change the name, but I feel they could have used something less silly and cutesy; it works for Last Week Tonight, but it feels wrong for a show that is suppossed to give a more minority focused perspective. Anyway, I'd still watch it and I hope it is as good as I know Wilmore can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I for on am optimistic that Larry Willmore and The Nightly Show will be really good.

And for the first time in my life I will actively watch a Late Night show just to have more Colbert in my life.

• Locked thread