Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

How do these people not get killed?

People like you (and me) avoid them?

Similar to one of yours - Night time on I-10, speed limit 75 (so everyone does 80-85), outside of town so no streetlamps. Come up on a guy in a crazy beat up old Toyota or Datsun (really hard to tell, early 70's, beat to hell) with not only no tail lights, but no reflectors of any kind, and the car itself was dark brown with no rear bumper for even a chrome reflection. He was doing about 40. Talk about tempting fate, one semi-tired trucker tooling along at 80'ish and that guy would get obliterated.

I probably should have called DPS to come out and try to get him off the road before he got killed (or someone else got killed trying to avoid him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saw a guy completely stopped in the right lane of 2 on the 80mph toll, trying to get to the offramp which was backed up. Cue furious braking, swerving and honking while they look oblivious to almost causing a massive accident.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Safe braking distances and whatnot. The jeep was at a red light, the guy in a Honda literally just pulled up that close to a stopped car.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
^ I don't really think this is a big deal. I do it by accident sometimes, trying to brake softly. Most cars on city streets are AT and there's not much to worry about.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...o?autoplay=true

Classic example of the iPause. SUV driver was totally distracted, wasn't braking at freeway speed until like 20 feet before they ran into the stopped sedan. I hope the driver gets cited but who knows.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Protocol7 posted:

Safe braking distances and whatnot. The jeep was at a red light, the guy in a Honda literally just pulled up that close to a stopped car.

I love the staggered alignment in the lane, as if seeing around my car will make me and/or traffic speed up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Michael Scott posted:

^ I don't really think this is a big deal. I do it by accident sometimes, trying to brake softly. Most cars on city streets are AT and there's not much to worry about.

http://www.abc15.com/news/local-new...o?autoplay=true

Classic example of the iPause. SUV driver was totally distracted, wasn't braking at freeway speed until like 20 feet before they ran into the stopped sedan. I hope the driver gets cited but who knows.

So wait, people were there and filming this when it happened, which implies they literally were filming poo poo instead of DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

It takes loving ten seconds to go from standing at the guardrail, gauging traffic, to dragging that piece of poo poo off the road, especially since it appears there was a cop on the shoulder already. If someone had done that instead of fumblefucking around with their cellphone or camera to get that video, the accident wouldn't have happened.

I hate people.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nah but that SUV driver would have ended up tagging someone eventually. Anybody who drives like that is due to wreck sooner or later. If it wasn't a stalled car on the expressway it would be a pedestrian in a crosswalk or a motorcyclist during a left turn.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It takes loving ten seconds to go from standing at the guardrail, gauging traffic, to dragging that piece of poo poo off the road, especially since it appears there was a cop on the shoulder already. If someone had done that instead of fumblefucking around with their cellphone or camera to get that video, the accident wouldn't have happened.

You couldn't pay me enough to play IRL frogger with drivers like that on the road.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Escondido is right near me - The 78 isn't too bad usually, but it's not an area to be running onto the highway. Maybe at 2am you could make it happen, but not during normal human hours.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

So wait, people were there and filming this when it happened, which implies they literally were filming poo poo instead of DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I hate people.

Per the notes in a longer version of that video I found, the film-taker was a news station cameraman who happened upon the scene.

As far as getting that out of the road, without the highway patrol doing a traffic break, gently caress that, I'm not dying because other people are too incompetent to steer around a mattress in the road. Also, mattress's are loving heavy, and most fat lazy Americans (myself included) would probably struggle quite a bit trying to drag it out of the road, especially when trying to play Frogger with real cars to do it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Would you chance sprinting into the middle of a freeway to drag a 50-100lb, floppy mattress off the road with cars whizzing past at 70+ mph? I sure as gently caress wouldn't, not without a full police barricade.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

It bugs me when people do this to me. I remember the drivers-ed rule of thumb being that you stop with enough distance between you and the person in front so that you can see where their rear wheels contact the pavement. That's not even mentioning the possibility of rolling back with a manual transmission.

It's just terrible driving.

Also, how many construction and highway workers and killed each year by motorists? I am not removing a mattress pro-bono because that's some wacky poo poo as simple as it seems.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 19, 2014

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

People who'd walk out onto a highway for a mattress is just a beautiful demonstration of natural selection in action. But hopefully their desire to jump into the grave won't take more sensible people with them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wally Joyner posted:

Also, how many construction and highway workers and killed each year by motorists? I am not removing a mattress pro-bono because that's some wacky poo poo as simple as it seems.

I was thinking this today when I was coming up on a blind S turn that had tons of cones out and a big light-up arrow showing 4 lanes (2 each way) going down to two. The speed limit on the road is 35 but this is some abnormal construction or something going on and I can't see what's happening, it's around the corner. All I can see is the two lanes going down to 1. Well I slow to 25 a bit before to be cautious and try to see what's going on and I notice the guy behind me riding my rear end and gesturing. I was going 10 under for less than 50 yards where there is poo poo going on in the road that we cannot see. WTF dude.

Ended up being guys jackhammering the road and poo poo and crossing back and forth. But sorry, impatient prius man! You were a full 2 seconds later to your destination at the expense of trying to be safe around workers in the road.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

Escondido is right near me - The 78 isn't too bad usually, but it's not an area to be running onto the highway. Maybe at 2am you could make it happen, but not during normal human hours.

Yeah, where the 78 and 15 meet at Escondido is extra dumb. Lots of drivers going from the 15 that is 4 lanes in each direction to the 78 that is 2 lanes in each direction. And because there are a lot of valleys between the cities along the 78, drivers use the 78. Every other pickup truck you see has uncovered and not tied down loads. I can think of lots of dumb stuff like the whole left lane having cardboard boxes driven over so much that they're glued to the road surface and there was a motorcycle cop peeling them off.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 19, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nsaP posted:

Ended up being guys jackhammering the road and poo poo and crossing back and forth. But sorry, impatient prius man! You were a full 2 seconds later to your destination at the expense of trying to be safe around workers in the road.

As someone who used to be a 'worker in the road'. Thank you.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I saw an interesting one on the way to the gym earlier. Three cars in a convoy of stupidity driving down the road with their emergency flashers on. We've all seen this before, some dipshit who thinks they're doing something dangerous but not so dangerous they should stop driving. So they decide to turn their hazards on so not only are they doing something stupid but now you also can't tell if they're going to turn or merge. What made it interesting was when I got up to it the middle car was a brand new C7 Z06 with one of the more aggressive aero packages and no plates. Maybe they were just really worried about it overheating in the 36°F weather.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Maybe it was borked and driving around in valet mode with the service manager and another grease monkey boxing it so nobody could touch it.

Maybe I give people too much credit.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

It was almost 6:00pm and driving away from the nearest Chevy dealership. My guess was some rear end in a top hat who just picked up his new toy and thought it was too special to drive at rush hour in Danbury without "bodyguards".

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Strabo4 posted:

People who'd walk out onto a highway for a mattress is just a beautiful demonstration of natural selection in action. But hopefully their desire to jump into the grave won't take more sensible people with them.

Speaking of people who'd walk out onto a highway, a couple weeks ago I was running an errand on my lunch hour and was on the interstate with a 65 speed limit. I'm in the far right lane to merge onto another highway and as I'm getting onto the onramp, I notice these two stopped vehicles in the second-to-furthest left lane. A minivan and a clapped out Civic. I'm not exactly sure what happened but the drivers and passengers of these vehicles were outside their cars, just standing there talking while vehicles whizzed by them at 75 mph. There were no road flares, no reflective triangles, not even hazard lights flashing on either vehicle. One distracted driver texting while plowing into their vehicles would turn them into pink mist post-haste. I was incredulous.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just had a guy make a right turn on red (without slowing or stopping) in front of me as I was going through an intersection, then cut my off as I went to pass him on the left, then brake check me two seconds after that.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Uthor posted:

I just had a guy make a right turn on red (without slowing or stopping) in front of me as I was going through an intersection, then cut my off as I went to pass him on the left, then brake check me two seconds after that.

This sounds like every old person that travels here for the winter.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SFH1989 posted:

It was almost 6:00pm and driving away from the nearest Chevy dealership. My guess was some rear end in a top hat who just picked up his new toy and thought it was too special to drive at rush hour in Danbury without "bodyguards".

It's a Corvette, there's millions of the things. I don't get that kind of thinking at all. It's relatively cheap for the performance. Anyone with actual money or sense isn't going to be floored that you bought a Corvette, especially if you drive it like a grandmother.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

EightBit posted:

It's a Corvette, there's millions of the things. I don't get that kind of thinking at all. It's relatively cheap for the performance. Anyone with actual money or sense isn't going to be floored that you bought a Corvette, especially if you drive it like a grandmother.

The C7 Z06 he mentioned is 650hp for $80k. What are the rich and sensible recommending to floor people these days?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The C7 Z06 he mentioned is 650hp for $80k. What are the rich and sensible recommending to floor people these days?

SLS

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Befuddled motorists trying to figure out how to park in Lexington's Chevy Chase shopping area

A fairly high traffic area of Lexington (near the University of Kentucky campus and downtown, which eventually turns into a four-lane thoroughfare) just went from parallel parking to diagonal back-in parking and people are having a tough time with it. Entertaining time lapse video with a lot of people parking nose in, one of which backs out across traffic into the left turn lane and another who backs out into traffic running the other direction.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 20, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

Befuddled motorists trying to figure out how to park in Lexington's Chevy Chase shopping area

A fairly high traffic area of Lexington (near the University of Kentucky campus and downtown, which eventually turns into a four-lane thoroughfare) just went from parallel parking to diagonal back-in parking and people are having a tough time with it. Entertaining time lapse video with a lot of people parking nose in, one of which backs out across traffic into the left turn lane and another who backs out into traffic running the other direction.

Hahahaha holy poo poo whose loving idea was it to do diagonal parking you have to reverse into?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo whose loving idea was it to do diagonal parking you have to reverse into?

Counterpoint: it does make a lot more sense to pull out into traffic facing the direction you need to go, along with a much better viewing angle to see incoming vehicles so you don't get t-boned/rear-ended.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yes, but convincing people to do that in Kentucky of all places?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

Counterpoint: it does make a lot more sense to pull out into traffic facing the direction you need to go, along with a much better viewing angle to see incoming vehicles so you don't get t-boned/rear-ended.

Pointercount: with so many people relying solely on mirrors to reverse, backing up to a sidewalk can be much more hazardous (for bystanders) than parallel parking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SFH1989 posted:

I saw an interesting one on the way to the gym earlier. Three cars in a convoy of stupidity driving down the road with their emergency flashers on. We've all seen this before, some dipshit who thinks they're doing something dangerous but not so dangerous they should stop driving. So they decide to turn their hazards on so not only are they doing something stupid but now you also can't tell if they're going to turn or merge. What made it interesting was when I got up to it the middle car was a brand new C7 Z06 with one of the more aggressive aero packages and no plates. Maybe they were just really worried about it overheating in the 36°F weather.

The Z06 optionally ships with tires best compared to hockey pucks in any kind of cold conditions. If it had the aero package (Z07 IIRC) odds are pretty good it had some crazy tires on it which were none too happy about any temperatures below about 45F.

I have Potenza RE01Rs on my BMW, one of the most aggressive street tires (as in actual street, not technically street legal race) made at the time I bought them. I have under 200 HP and can drift like Ken Block on those things if it's cold out even though they're so sticky when warm that I have to work hard to get a one-wheel peel. The Pilot Sport Cup tires you can get on a Z06 are another level more insane, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that they were going literally as fast as they felt safe going with a brand new car if it was even slightly not dry.

edit: Yeah, the Z07 package includes Michelin Pilot SuperSport Cup 2 tires.

Personally I'd have hired a flatbed if I was taking delivery of a Z06 these days.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 20, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Diagonal back in parking actually works well. The biggest problem is assholes tailgating making it impossible to back up when you stop.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Saw two cars that probably shouldn't have been driving:

Car 1: Dodge Voyager just driving along at the 30 mph speed limit with a completely flat left rear tire. I yelled, and nothing.

Later on...

Car 2: Completely bent left rear axle, wheel at a 45 degree angle, just driving along like it's completely normal. The burnt rubber smell was pretty refreshing.

How do you not notice that your tire is flat, let along completely hosed?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

They should have moved the lane of travel over near the sidewalk and had diagonal parking that you pull in to in the middle, would be accessible from both directions. Hutchinson KS did this and it actually worked out pretty good despite minor pedestrian safety issues.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Honestly the only problem with diagonal back-in parking is that most people have never seen it before and have no idea what they're supposed to do. Otherwise, the parking is easier than with parallel parking and getting out is much safer than with forward-in diagonal or perpendicular parking, especially on a busy public street.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wolrah posted:

The Pilot Sport Cup tires you can get on a Z06 are another level more insane, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that they were going literally as fast as they felt safe going with a brand new car if it was even slightly not dry.

edit: Yeah, the Z07 package includes Michelin Pilot SuperSport Cup 2 tires.

Personally I'd have hired a flatbed if I was taking delivery of a Z06 these days.

There is a very big difference between cold and wet. High performance summer tires do really well in the wet. Pilot supersports for example get a 9.1/10 on tirerack surveys in the wet and the cups are also designed to work in rain. It is "dot slicks" like the hankook z214 or BFG R1 or Hankook A6 etc that only have two grooves in them that aren't going to work when it's raining.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 20, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Whatever the tires were, it's stupid that you'd need to drive your Corvette in a motorcade to get where you're going. I've driven many GT3s and a few GT2s with Pilot Sport Cup tires in the cold and wet and while they aren't sticky but you're not going to careen off into the center divide if you're just cruising home.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It may be better to pull forwards out of a parking space but reversing in makes getting a pushchair and shopping into our out of your car a pain in the arse.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jamal posted:

There is a very big difference between cold and wet. High performance summer tires do really well in the wet. Pilot supersports for example get a 9.1/10 on tirerack surveys in the wet and the cups are also designed to work in rain. It is "dot slicks" like the hankook z214 or BFG R1 or Hankook A6 etc that only have two grooves in them that aren't going to work when it's raining.

I meant cold AND wet. It's December and I'm from Ohio, I assume cold is a constant.

Cold and dry is usually fine (if a bit rough to start until the flat spots go away) even on inappropriate tires as long as you're not an idiot, but if it was cold with any form of precipitation on the ground I wouldn't be pushing my luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Want to know what the worst road planning idea is? Reversible (suicide) lanes.