Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The dealerships have monthly and yearly goals that get them bonuses. If they are close to either one, then you can get a good deal. First two weeks of January, no one is going to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Michael Scott posted:

When you make posts like these, unless you feel it's confidential or something, please tell us what model you got and what the out-the-door price was, and the incidentals. Thank you.

This wasn't directed at me but I did the same thing earlier, so: I ended up with a '15 Mazda 3 s Touring (2.5L) hatchback for $24,650, minus $500 customer loyalty discount. So $24,150 ($26,500 OTD after taxes, registration and an $80 doc fee). California. No options or add-ons, everything I wanted was standard on that trim.

My long car shopping story: Several weeks of test driving used cars, eventually realizing that maybe didn't want a comfy boat with a big engine after all, maybe I wanted a nimble car like my old Mazda 323, especially since today's 4-cylinders are stronger than 15 years ago. I'd also become increasingly sick of trying to pull theories on a used car's history out of thin air and carfax hints. I gradually upsold myself from a "used $12,000 car I can buy outright" to "Maybe I can afford to finance something in the $22k area" My existing car died during this time, motivating me to pull the trigger. Test drove a '14 Mazda3 2.0L, was a little underwhelmed versus the used 2011 2.5L I'd test driven at a different place (I had made an offer on that, but they didn't bite and I wasn't in love with it enough to go any higher, I suspected electrical issues).

Dreaming a few nights later I put in for a "special internet quote" (hur) at a dealership 45 minutes away on the trim level I really wanted- an s touring (the 2.5L). Their site only showed a white one in stock, and if I was going to push my finances this far I wasn't going to settle for anything but the color I wanted, but I was just curious. One of the few cases where I provided my phone number, so a sales guy calls me the next morning. He insisted they DID have the color I wanted in stock, didn't know why it wasn't showing up on the site. I had an optimistic price ready ($24k, $26,300 OTD), I told him if he could get me out the door for it he'd sell a car that day. He agreed that he could get there after a $500 Mazda loyalty rebate.

Was excited but not counting my chickens yet after several weeks of dealing with salespeople. One 45 minute drive away, this one sits us down to give us the bad news. Short version of a long spiel: an inventory error in the computers, possibly caused by a malicious ex-employee! (no I did not believe him). They did not have an s Touring in any of the colors I wanted. He then proceeds to show me those they did have, and I went along with him while I tried to decide if I should try and leverage the "you hosed me here" angle and settle for something else or just walk away. One's a sedan instead of a hatchback, all but the last are 2014's, none have a sunroof, each car I'm getting more and more pissed off. The last one's the exact thing I'm after but the wrong color- the '15 s Touring in white, as seen on the website. Go figure, the web inventory was accurate.

I stayed polite but made it clear I was annoyed. Told him he knew what I was hunting, if he came up with one and I hadn't already bought a car then we'd probably have a deal. Got lunch, and when I was no longer too pissed off to see straight I called our local dealership's sales manager. I'd been working with him on the Mazda i Touring (2.0L) a few nights before, and I knew that they had an s Touring on the lot in a color I was willing to settle for. I told him the price I'd been quoted by the lovely dealership. He hemmed and hawed a little, "boy they're really digging deep there..." "The tax rate's lower there, isn't it?". Taxes at our local one are 0.5% higher, and in the interest of just making a deal I gladly threw him a bone, rounded up and increased my out the door offer by $200. He took it.

And now I get to go through all this bullshit again for my wife.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 19, 2014

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Proposed Budget: $7-10k with $3k down
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan (4D) or 4D Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: I live in California so I will be using it to get to most places I go to, probably driving ~30-40 miles a day, tops. Occasional road trips from LA to the Bay Area
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. I'm afraid of buying a used car and having to dump way more into repairs than I'm willing to. Gas mileage. Also - modest trunk space. I want to go camping more often. Needs to be automatic, I'm not willing to learn to drive stick

This weekend I'm going to a dealership in town with a used 2005 Toyota Matrix XR with 80k miles and some bells and whistles: alpine head unit/power windows/locks/keyless entry/AC/CD/MoonRoof. The CarFax doesn't show any accidents or major work done. The drive belt was replaced at 50k miles.

From what I've read, this is a very reliable car? I also really like the way it looks.

The dealership is asking $ 9,995 on their website, which is at the high end of the KBB value. KBB says a fair purchase price is $ 8,772. I don't want to pay $ 9,995 and I'd like to try and negotiate down to at least $ 8,500.

My question is, would this car be a smart purchase, and what would be a fair price in your opinion?

Trollipop fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 20, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Trollipop posted:

This weekend I'm going to a dealership in town with a used 2005 Toyota Matrix XR with 80k miles and some bells and whistles: alpine head unit/power windows/locks/keyless entry/AC/CD/MoonRoof. The CarFax doesn't show any accidents or major work done. The drive belt was replaced at 50k miles.

"Drive belt?" Do you mean timing belt? Serpentine belt/accessory belt? That's kind of a short interval for a timing belt.

edit: No timing belt, no CVT, must be accessory belt. That's a trivial wear item on most cars.

quote:

From what I've read, this is a very reliable car? I also really like the way it looks.

It's a Corolla. Yes.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 20, 2014

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
Proposed Budget: $2-5k, 2k down
Body Style: Sedan or 4D Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 40+ miles 3 times a week, +400 miles in travel every two weeks, and general around-town poo poo
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, 4 doors. The only bells and whistles I would like are an AUX port, Cruise Control, and autolocks.

Where should I look? Any recommended models? I hosed up my first car purchase last month and had to get a refund. This time, I am going to research the gently caress out of the make/model, and the car itself.

I only have a little over 2grand to throw at a car, but I see that getting something reliable at that pricerange is unlikely. So I am willing to get a loan if I can find a car that looks good and go up to 5.

E: For context, I live at home, and I make ~20k a year

Sixty-Proof fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 20, 2014

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VideoTapir posted:

It's a Corolla. Yes.

Actually I'm a little curious on that - I'm possibly looking at a 2007 on my list. During research I see that there's a few concerns about unintended acceleration such as so. Thoughts? IAgain I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cars and the purchasing thereof and the particular 07 looks alright from what I know so far/without actually checking it out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Toyota Unintended Acceleration lawsuits were 1% Toyota not putting enough effort into detecting someone standing on both pedals (and killing the engine), and 99% a bunch of fuckwits who can't tell the brake from the gas and should probably be dragged out back and shot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Isn't that a sizable chunk of Toyota drivers though?

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

VideoTapir posted:

"Drive belt?" Do you mean timing belt? Serpentine belt/accessory belt? That's kind of a short interval for a timing belt.

edit: No timing belt, no CVT, must be accessory belt. That's a trivial wear item on most cars.

It's a Corolla. Yes.

Thanks. Do you think those price numbers are fair? My research tells me the dealership probably didn't pay more than 7k (if that) for the car

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Trollipop posted:

Thanks. Do you think those price numbers are fair? My research tells me the dealership probably didn't pay more than 7k (if that) for the car

Seems like a lot to me for a 10 year old econobox.

Fake edit: Edmunds says dealer retail of $7500, and that's before negotiation, but I didn't know what options to put in. Still, seems like a lot.

Go put the details in here: http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/

Van Cleef
Jul 12, 2004
not Van Cleef
Proposed Budget: $12-15k, cash money
Body Style: Hatchback! Better 4 doors than 2 doors.
How will you be using the car?: 25 mile roundtrip commute, 5 days a week. In Florida, so it doesn't need to be rugged. ~Yearly long (500+ miles) road trip.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, fuel economy, low(ish) mileage

My first and only car was a 2003 Acura RSX. It was totaled last week. Only 98k miles when it was killed. I'll miss it dearly. I'd get another one, but of course they were discontinued in '06 and I haven't seen any on the market in what I would consider good condition. In lieu, I'm hoping to a find a newish, gently used car within my budget that doesn't feel like a downgrade from my beloved, late RSX.

I'd like my next car to be a hatchback. I don't know if the RSX was considered an especially practical car, but I made frequent use of the cargo space afforded by its little hatch. My wife and I will be sharing the car, and neither of us have any experience driving stick, so it'll have to an automatic. I'd prefer a 4 door, but I'll consider a 2. I hope I can afford a car that isn't too lethargic. I wasn't melting tarmac in the RSX, but it was spritely enough to get me around all the wily octogenarians on these crowded Florida highways. I'm also looking for a car with <75k miles, and ideally more like 35k. My old RSX was getting on in years, but the mileage was low and I kept it in great condition, so I'd like my next car to uh, feel newer. If this is foolish of me, please talk me out of it! I've only ever owned the one car and I don't have any experience looking at used ones, so I'm worried that my aversion to mileage might be irrational.

I haven't paid attention to the car market in a long while, but after a little research I'm leaning toward (in order): '11 or '12 Mazda3, '12 Honda Fit, '10? Prius, '11 Impreza, '09 Audi A4, '09 Volvo C30.

The Mazda3 seems like it might be my best bet. Reliable, economical, hatchback, 4 door, punchy enough. I like that the '12 model got a boost in fuel economy, but it's right up on the upper edge of my budget. Maybe I'm just fetishizing fuel economy and it would be better to go with an '11.

I think the Fit is my second choice. So versatile! But it kinda looks like a mini-minivan, and I'm worried that it'll perform like one, too. The best way to find out is to test drive one, of course, but I welcome everyone's opinion. I like what's been done to the '15, but I won't be able to make that work on my budget.

The Prius is the only car on the list I've ever driven. My sister owns one and she loves it. I think I'd love to have one, too, but they seem to hold value exceptionally well. I'd have to look at a Prius much older and used-er than the equivalent Mazda3 or Fit. I haven't done a lot of research on this car. Any specific issues unique to the Prius that I should keep in mind?

I lived in Colorado for a while and, like everyone else in the state, I guess I developed a fondness for Subarus. But I managed well enough in my RSX, and now that I live in Florida I don't have a reason to bias myself toward the Impreza. I'm not impressed by the MPG, and I haven't heard anything great about the performance of the base trim.

I've all but ruled out the Audi A4 and Volvo C30. I like the styling on these cars, but they just don't seem to hold up with regard to reliability and cost of ownership. And I'd have to look at older models, '09s or so.

Should I consider a VW Golf? Maybe a Nissan of some sort?

RE my proposed budget: I got a decent settlement from my insurance company, and I think I can add enough cash for $15k worth of car. Spending less would be great, of course. This year was nearly a financial disaster for me; I couldn't find work for a while, and so I recently switched career paths into a field where I'm more secure but make less money. I had to move twice this year, which took a chunk out of my savings, and I ended up in a place where I'm spending more on rent and utilities than I probably ought to. On top of that, I applied to graduate school a few weeks before I got t-boned, so I might have to move and change my employment situation again in the near future. Luckily (and I mean luckily) I managed to keep up with my bills and I'm virtually debt-free, so I still have great credit. I guess that means I could theoretically consider financing to add a bit to my budget, but this year's experiences have made me extremely apprehensive about it. So unless someone convinces me that I can get a hugely better car for just a little bit of extra financing, I think I'd really rather avoid it.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if that was too e/n. I promise I'll keep an open mind when everyone tells me I'm wrong about everything, which I probably am.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you liked the RSX, the Civic SI is nearly the same car and still in production. Even as a 4-door I believe. Good luck finding one that hasn't been thrashed though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Van Cleef posted:

Proposed Budget: $12-15k, cash money
Body Style: Hatchback! Better 4 doors than 2 doors.
How will you be using the car?: 25 mile roundtrip commute, 5 days a week. In Florida, so it doesn't need to be rugged. ~Yearly long (500+ miles) road trip.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, fuel economy, low(ish) mileage

stuff

Are you ok with the boringness of a Prius? If so, Prius every day of the week and twice on sunday for your needs.

If not, Mazda3 or Ford Focus. Do not buy a cheap Nissan like a Versa, they are basically fine and good cars for A to B, but you can do much better for what you'd pay.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 21, 2014

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My brother recommended I look into a car purchasing service through a credit union. I'll have to join a credit union anyway to finance a used car purchase and it seems to make sense to have them do the negotiating on my behalf. Is there a consensus on a car purchasing service?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

My brother recommended I look into a car purchasing service through a credit union. I'll have to join a credit union anyway to finance a used car purchase and it seems to make sense to have them do the negotiating on my behalf. Is there a consensus on a car purchasing service?

This is a new question never before asked!

Its an OK deal, you can do better, yadda yadda

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

This is a new question never before asked!

Its an OK deal, you can do better, yadda yadda

Sarcasm detected. Sorry but it's a long thread.

Van Cleef
Jul 12, 2004
not Van Cleef

MrKatharsis posted:

If you liked the RSX, the Civic SI is nearly the same car and still in production. Even as a 4-door I believe. Good luck finding one that hasn't been thrashed though.

Thanks! Yeah, the Civic SI looks like a fun ride. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to come in automatic, and it's not a hatchback. It looks like people put a premium on Civics on the used market in my area, so I'd have to hunt real hard to find a good deal, I reckon.

IRQ posted:

Are you ok with the boringness of a Prius? If so, Prius every day of the week and twice on sunday for your needs.

If not, Mazda3 or Ford Focus. Do not buy a cheap Nissan like a Versa, they are basically fine and good cars for A to B, but you can do much better for what you'd pay.

I'd be pleased to own a milquetoast little Prius! My only concern with the car is that it seems to command a premium on the used market, like Accords and Camrys.

So I guess it's coming down to, like, would I rather have a '10 63kmi Prius, or a '12 37kmi Mazda3? (Or go a year older in either case, for budget's sake). I guess the obvious solution is to just go out and drive the drat things and see which I like better.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Another stupid question.

Suppose I find a decent deal on a certified pre-owned car at a dealer, will another dealership honor the warranty? I'm asking because the dealership with the better deal is a longer drive from my place and because that same dealership has poorer reviews.

Thanks thread.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Another stupid question.

Suppose I find a decent deal on a certified pre-owned car at a dealer, will another dealership honor the warranty? I'm asking because the dealership with the better deal is a longer drive from my place and because that same dealership has poorer reviews.

Thanks thread.

Google suggests that it depends, so I'll ask the dealer. I'll shut up now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If it's the CPO warranty through the manufacturer, it should be honored by same-brand dealerships nation wide.

If it is a third-party warranty, I highly doubt it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it is a third-party warranty, I highly doubt it.

If it's a third-party warranty you'll be lucky if anyone honors it, including the people who sold it to you.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Guinness posted:

If it's a third-party warranty you'll be lucky if anyone honors it, including the people who sold it to you.

It would definitely be a CPO warranty. I was asking because there is a Honda dealership which offers a CPO Subaru and I found it odd. The other extreme is a CPO Subaru at a Subaru dealership that has poor reviews. The middle ground is a CPO Subaru at a Subaru dealership with excellent reviews but with a higher price tag. I'll try to use the lower priced car as a bargaining chip to get the better dealership to lower their price. And I'll be sure to verify that the CPO warranty is honored at other dealerships in case a dealership opens up closer to my home.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Proposed Budget: $15-19k with $6-7k down, $2-3k trade in (2004 VW Jetta GLS with 80k miles)
Body Style: 4D Hatchback / Small Crossover / Non-lame looking wagon (Honestly don't even know what to label stuff anymore. Is a Toyota Venza a wagon or crossover?)
How will you be using the car?: Day to Day I drive a pretty short distance, about 5 miles to and from work (well train station), maybe once a month I go to my Mom's, which is about a 120 mile drive North. So overall I put very low mileage on my car these days.
What aspects are most important to you?: Under 40k miles on a 2011-2014 is the one thing I'm really trying to stick to. I'm also looking for a mix of moonroof, heated seats, multi function steering wheel, good visibility, remote start would be awesome but I know that's limited.

I've really been all over the place with what I want. Originally I was just going to get a VW Golf, the problem with them are what available in the trims. It's like if you aren't getting top the line you are getting almost no features. There's also the maintenance costs of owning VW that I am sort of trying to get away from. I've yet to start my test drives but I'm probably going to try out a Prius, Venza, Kia Sportage, Mazda 3 (I like the CX-5 but I think it's out of my price range), and maybe a new style Ford Escape.

The idea of getting a Volt entered my head last night and I got excited. It has a hatch, alloy wheels, heated seats, remote start with decent pricing (~18k for ~30,000 miles before any negotiation). I thought the plug in would be amazing for me with so little driving, but what I'm starting hear is that with so little driving it doesn't really matter that much. I'm probably test driving a Volt tomorrow, if I like the handling and find it cool I might just pick it up without test driving those other models.

I'm basically just spinning my wheels like crazy with no set direction.

EDIT: I feel like I should also mention I really don't love the design of the Prius, I'm not sure it's a deal breaker but it is what it is.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 25, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
CPO doesn't mean poo poo unless it's an honest-to-god OEM sponsored CPO program and even then it don't mean much. Not sure how a Honda store would CPO a Subaru under Subaru's program, unless they have a Subaru store in their dealer group.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Compact (or subcompact?) electric cars - do they do better from a $/mile standpoint than a compact (or subcompact) car that burns gas?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I'm starting a new job soon where I'm going from 9 dollars an hour to making 40-50k a year. It's an 80 mile daily commute there and back so obviously I need to replace my current 2000 Voyager with something that gets over 15 miles per gallon, doesn't leak oil like a sieve, and has air conditioning in Florida. I don't know anything about car buying (the Voyager came from driving to a used car lot a few years ago with a $4,000 insurance check since I needed something to drive to work the next day) and my dad keeps trying to convince me to lease a new car under the "well you have zero savings for a down payment but you'll be making $3500 a month and you need a car now plus you can write it off in two years and start over when you have savings" logic. Obviously I'm not buying anything until I actually start and get some money built up (I can chug along in the Voyager for a few weeks) but I was under the impression leasing was a good way to pay way too much for a $20,000 sedan and end up with nothing to show for it after two or three years. He's really adamant that it's a great deal for broke first time car buyers. Who's right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Leasing is only a good idea if you have immaculate credit and/or a lot of money, and don't want to commit to that car for the long term. Also you're likely going to get hit with penalties driving 80+ miles a day.

You don't really need a down payment most of the time, but if you do just drive the Voyager a little longer.

But anyone advising a broke person to lease a car is.. let's be charitable and say "wrong." Read the op for a more in depth breakdown.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What does your dad mean by "write it off?" It's not going to be a business expense, unless you're some kind of contractor, MAYBE; you won't be writing off anything.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, leasing is a bad idea for most people, and many leases still require a down payment. And many car loans don't if you have decent credit. You could also save us much as possible of the $3500/mo to come up with a sizable down payment or enough to buy a decent used car outright in a few months if your voyager will make it a few more months.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VideoTapir posted:

What does your dad mean by "write it off?" It's not going to be a business expense, unless you're some kind of contractor, MAYBE; you won't be writing off anything.

Sounds to me like "oh well you gotta do what you gotta do" writing it off, which is crazy because he could have 2 years of equity in whatever car he buys instead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah, leasing is a bad idea for most people, and many leases still require a down payment. And many car loans don't if you have decent credit. You could also save us much as possible of the $3500/mo to come up with a sizable down payment or enough to buy a decent used car outright in a few months if your voyager will make it a few more months.

It drives okay other than having an oil leak, the big problem is the air conditioner went out last month and I'm in Florida. Not so much an issue in the winter but I am going to need to do something before it gets hot again if I'm driving 400 miles a week.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You've got several months at least before you need an a/c, so save as much as you can towards a down payment. Check your oil frequently and add it as needed!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It drives okay other than having an oil leak, the big problem is the air conditioner went out last month and I'm in Florida. Not so much an issue in the winter but I am going to need to do something before it gets hot again if I'm driving 400 miles a week.

Have you had it looked at? It might just need to be refilled which is like a 30 dollar thing. If you have a slow leak you could limp for awhile.

Putting yourself in a bad situation because of no aircon sounds kind of insane to me. If the car otherwise runs pretty ok just suck it up until you can afford to finance a car.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IRQ posted:

Have you had it looked at? It might just need to be refilled which is like a 30 dollar thing. If you have a slow leak you could limp for awhile.

Putting yourself in a bad situation because of no aircon sounds kind of insane to me. If the car otherwise runs pretty ok just suck it up until you can afford to finance a car.

It did have a slow leak so we tried filling it up, something broke and now it blows all the refrigerant out as soon as we fill it. It's in good mechanical shape other than that as far as I know (redid brakes, new timing belt, same electrical problems as all Voyagers) so it should hold out until I can afford getting something better, and I'll have the cash to do maintenance if it does crap out anyway.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My wife was rear-ended in her 2005 Escape with ~150k on it. Airbag deployed, crimped front and rear quarter panels, rear hatch crushed/won't open, and tow-bar looks to be bent as well. We are anticipating they may total the vehicle since KBB is only like 3800 on the vehicle.

Ideally, this vehicle will not be totaled and all will be well.

In the interest of preparation, we have starting looking/shopping for a used car. The desire is to avoid a car payment, and we can throw a few grand cash on top of that.

So, with that in mind:

Proposed Budget: Avoiding payment: $4-7k, but if we decide to take it on $10-13k with 4-5k down.
Body Style: 4D sedan, hatchback, wagon or SUV.
How will you be using the car?: If I end up driving the car, I have a reasonable commute every third day (EMS, probably 20-25mi). Her commute is shorter. It'll be a daily driver for either of us.
What aspects are most important to you?: Under 100k mi (if possible), reasonable amount of room for my rec or work gear and our dog. RELIABLE RELIABLE. Low cost of ownership. Fuel mileage is important, but less so. Reliability and practicality are BY FAR the most important factors.

It is tempting to buy with higher mileage to avoid a payment (150k+ 4Runner, older Subaru Forester/Outback). A 4Runner would be a pretty practical vehicle for me, but buying with higher mileage makes me really really nervous. My dad was an auto mechanic for a number of years when he was younger and provides a wealth of knowledge on car inspection, but I want to know what to avoid overall. Is it even worth my time to shop in this mileage range?

I don't know much about pre-2005 Subarus and their reliability record, but there are several used Foresters between 100-150k mi that would keep us from financing.

If we do finance we will probably get a newer Corolla, Camry or Subaru for her. Mainly, I just need advice about older vehicles--specifically high-mileage Toyotas and Subarus.

I drive a Gen2 Prius (07, with 75k mi) that I would likely give to her if we buy older. The main goal is to make sure she is driving the safer and more reliable vehicle. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time shopping for an older car if reliability is a factor.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 27, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LeeMajors posted:

I don't know much about pre-2005 Subarus and their reliability record, but there are several used Foresters between 100-150k mi that would keep us from financing.

Fuel economy on a Subaru from around then will be in the mid-high 20s. If you don't live somewhere that has snow+hills it may not be worth it.

If you're looking a a 2.5 liter Subaru, and it doesn't have upgraded head gaskets, you probably don't want it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

VideoTapir posted:

Fuel economy on a Subaru from around then will be in the mid-high 20s. If you don't live somewhere that has snow+hills it may not be worth it.

If you're looking a a 2.5 liter Subaru, and it doesn't have upgraded head gaskets, you probably don't want it.

That's probably acceptable mileage for me, but I don't necessarily need AWD or anything. I wish Toyota had continued to make Camry or Corolla wagons into the 00s instead of stopping in 97. :emo:

A small part of me wants to track down another Gen2 Prius, but they still command $$ even with low gas prices.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LeeMajors posted:

That's probably acceptable mileage for me, but I don't necessarily need AWD or anything. I wish Toyota had continued to make Camry or Corolla wagons into the 00s instead of stopping in 97. :emo:

Maybe you should consider a Mazda 6.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Or a Ford Fusion which is essentially the same car made in the same plant with the same parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeeMajors posted:

I wish Toyota had continued to make Camry or Corolla wagons into the 00s instead of stopping in 97. :emo:

The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix is a Corolla wagon. If you want a Corolla wagon, that's what you should get.