Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

What the gently caress? :psyduck:

So he's openly admitting that he hosed over his own case by letting any jackass off the street lie to the grand jury?

What he did doesn't shock me nearly as much as him being so utterly brazen and unapologetic about it. How the gently caress do you do that and maintain any credibility whatsoever as a prosecutor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

What he did doesn't shock me nearly as much as him being so utterly brazen and unapologetic about it. How the gently caress do you do that and maintain any credibility whatsoever as a prosecutor?

Like this is the part for me that is really making me twitch. We're supposed to believe in this system, even when it's really, obviously on the take since doing so maintains public order and "we can't know" what really is going on and how dare we, the plebs, judge it? Then the system straight up admits it was doing things the way people feared and everyone is supposed to be fine with that. The fact that this man hasn't been disbarred and/or removed sullies the entire process if what he is saying is as bad as it sounds.

I'm supposed to believe a man that scuttles his own case for a guy he probably doesn't even know, just out of some sort of family/professional loyalty isn't making all sorts of unethical and dubious moves on his other cases? No one else with any power sees any problem with this?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 19, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Radish posted:

Like this is the part for me that is really making me twitch. We're supposed to believe in this system, even when it's really, obviously on the take since doing so maintains public order and "we can't know" what really is going on and how dare we, the plebs, judge it? Then the system straight up admits it was doing things the way people feared and everyone is supposed to be fine with that. The fact that this man hasn't been disbarred and/or removed sullies the entire process if what he is saying is as bad as it sounds.

I'm supposed to believe a man that scuttles his own case for a guy he probably doesn't even know, just out of some sort of family/professional loyalty isn't making all sorts of unethical and dubious moves on his other cases? No one else with any power sees any problem with this?

That's what's really galling about this to me. McCullough must know he's untouchable, so he's just standing up and giving everyone both middle-fingers, gloating about committing outright injustice as a state prosecutor.

Anyone who's paying close enough attention knows poo poo like this has always gone on behind the scenes, but lately it seems like the culprits feel safe enough to come out and say "yeah, we're loving you over, what are you going to do about it?"

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Radish posted:

Oh come on, don't be unfair here. Most of us haven't figured out how to move past the claim that a prosecutor who's the president of a police support organization doesn't have a bias when investigating cops, let alone dealing with how to believe that he hasn't hosed up other cases.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Any chance people can start a movement to get that prick disbarred?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

Didn't McCulloch single out the testimony of this witness when he gave his "You are all wrong and there's nothing to see here" press conference? and treat it as credible?

That is my recollection. I am not going to go back and re-watch 45 minutes of that cocksucker smirking, but I recall him making GBS threads all over witnesses who supported Michael Brown's story, while not doing anything like that to witnesses who supported Wilson's story.

That witness is Mark Furhman levels of bullshit. "Well I call black people niggers a lot, so I'll just go down to the ghetto and see how they live." That's the star Daren Wilson witness?? Nevermind that her story is pretty obviously fabricated, like that is just right out of an onion headline, "Daren Wilson justified, says woman who actually calls people niggers."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spun Dog posted:

Didn't McCulloch single out the testimony of this witness when he gave his "You are all wrong and there's nothing to see here" press conference? and treat it as credible?

Skimming the transcript, no he didn't do that.

There night be one follow up question but the journalist was referring to a male corroborating Wilson.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

Skimming the transcript, no he didn't do that.

There night be one follow up question but the journalist was referring to a male corroborating Wilson.

My recollection may be flawed then. In your skimming, did he single out any of the witnesses who supported Michael Brown to undermine their credibility? Or did he just say "lots of witnesses were not credible"? Contra, did he talk up the credibility of witnesses who supported Wilson's story?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Radish posted:

I mean I thought the whole charade was that *wink, wink* we can't know for sure he was purposely sinking his own case so LEGALLY nothing bad happened. If you are putting up witnesses that you admit are both not credible and also hurt your case I don't know how you can have that sort of plausible deniability anymore. I understand a lot of people here are lawyers, but how are non legal people supposed to have any respect for the process when it is so obviously broken in this regard and there is no reasonably way to fix it?

If it makes you feel any better half the law goons in D&D are fraudulent libertarian posers from TFR and other assorted hacks whose might-makes-right legalism is about 9 parts coping mechanism and 1 part 18th century political theory.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kazak_Hstan posted:

My recollection may be flawed then. In your skimming, did he single out any of the witnesses who supported Michael Brown to undermine their credibility? Or did he just say "lots of witnesses were not credible"? Contra, did he talk up the credibility of witnesses who supported Wilson's story?

The one person he discredited in particular was someone who said Brown was executed by being shot in the back which disagreed with the autopsy reports.

He also mentioned that there were witnesses who were not present who had testified based off of hearsay or newspaper reports and that they were not credible.

There really wasnt a particular reason to ask or talk about Witness 40 at his presser either. The case file had not been released (it was made available just after the presser) so witness 4p was still pretty much an unknown at that point.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Suborning perjury is still ground for disbarring, yes?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
String up everyone involved in the handling of the Wilson case who has a position of authority

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Only if you aren't a da.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Officer Greg Kwiatkowski repeatedly assaulted a man after he'd been handcuffed. Officer Cariol Horne pulled him off the guy, and then he punched her in the face so hard that she required dental work. The result? She was fired, and he suffered no consequences until he assaulted another officer at a police station some time later.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pope Guilty posted:

Officer Greg Kwiatkowski repeatedly assaulted a man after he'd been handcuffed. Officer Cariol Horne pulled him off the guy, and then he punched her in the face so hard that she required dental work. The result? She was fired, and he suffered no consequences until he assaulted another officer at a police station some time later.

That's... pretty hosed up. But at least after that second incident in the station he was fired err.. forced to retire. :rolleyes:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Locator posted:

That's... pretty hosed up. But at least after that second incident in the station he was fired err.. forced to retire. :rolleyes:

Actually, that was the third incident :smith:

quote:

The good cop, who was trying to stop abuse by her peer, was fired for “jumping on Officer Kwaitkowski’s back and/or striking him with her hands,” something that Kwaitkowski himself denied ever happening in a sworn statement.

The bad cop, who was choking a man and then punched his female co-worker in the face, kept his job. It wasn’t until he choked another officer at a district station house that he was forced to retire. He was already under investigation for punching another officer while he was off-duty at a local bar.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe I'm sheltered but I'm fairly sure that in the case of every other job on the planet you're fired the first time you assault a coworker.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Pepper posted:

Maybe I'm sheltered but I'm fairly sure that in the case of every other job on the planet you're fired the first time you assault a coworker.
What other jobs deliberately cultivate violence though?

edit: are you kicked out of the military the first time you punch one of your peers?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

What other jobs deliberately cultivate violence though?

edit: are you kicked out of the military the first time you punch one of your peers?

What other job can you assault (as in punch, not bleed on) multiple police officers and not get charged with a crime?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Police are constantly on edge from having to worry about other trigger happy officers beating them up either at traffic stops or even when they are simply eating lunch outdoors. Therefor if we don't give them the benefit of the doubt when they attack their co-workers you are de facto sentencing them to death. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 after all .

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

They discredited the specific witness in question in front of the GJ. Good loving luck getting a perjury charge to stick - it's incredibly difficult at the best of times. (Much less suborning perjury charges.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Only if you're an officer, maybe not even then.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you kicked out of the military the first time you punch one of your peers?

Not necessarily, because the command is going to look at the whole context (i.e. was it justifiable, did it cross ranks, does the soldier have PTSD, does the victim want to pursue civilian prosecution, does the soldier have a past history of poor behavior, was it during a deployment or embarkation, etc.) but you'll probably be looking at a career-ending Article 15, a variety of restrictions and extra duties, and potentially a drop in rank. And certainly soldiers do get discharged for punching people. In fact there was a crackdown in the 2000's over "pinning" or "blooding", which was a traditional form of hazing following a promotion, and people were being (justifiably) discharged over strikes that weren't even done in anger: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/04/13664643-soldier-who-hit-colleague-with-wooden-mallet-is-disciplined?lite

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 20, 2014

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Looks like the war is beginning

http://nypost.com/2014/12/20/2-nypd-cops-shot-execution-style-in-brooklyn/

gregday
May 23, 2003

So there's a BlackLivesMatter protest at Mall of America today.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Hoo boy, intentionally creating more fear on the job isn't what we need to end police brutality.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

I can't help but laugh at how much the cops are going to give way more of a poo poo about their own dying in the line of duty than some black guy dying in the line of selling cigarettes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Panzeh posted:

I can't help but laugh at how much the cops are going to give way more of a poo poo about their own dying in the line of duty than some black guy dying in the line of selling cigarettes.

Agreed. Those two cops weren't any more "tragic heroes" than the guy who got strangled to death while quietly working to feed his wife and six kids, but you can already see the media warming up for a sloppy police BJ story.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress this guy not for what he did but for the inevitable legislative response

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

I knew it. I loving knew it. The police had their choice. Now they start counting the body bags.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I've already seen one person on Facebook say these protests have gone far enough. gently caress this country

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

gently caress this guy not for what he did but for the inevitable legislative response

No, gently caress him for what he did too. He murdered three people.

gently caress him again for the blowback he's going to cause, but mostly gently caress him for the murder.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Job Truniht posted:

I knew it. I loving knew it. The police had their choice. Now they start counting the body bags.
Surely now the revolution is upon us comrade.

Voyager I posted:

No, gently caress him for what he did too. He murdered three people.

gently caress him again for the blowback he's going to cause, but mostly gently caress him for the murder.
:thejoke:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Everything is justified. No mercy to protesters anti-cop terrorists now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KomradeX posted:

I've already seen one person on Facebook say these protests have gone far enough. gently caress this country
I had a guy like "where's Al Sharpton now?"

The idea that different people speak up for different causes seems to be lost on a great many. Greenpeace didn't speak up for Eric Garner. PETA's mission doesn't include educating the public about gerrymandering.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Surely now the revolution is upon us comrade.

:thejoke:

I would love to live in a world where there weren't people whose first reaction to three dead people was to think of the optics.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voyager I posted:

I would love to live in a world where there weren't people whose first reaction to three dead people was to think of the optics.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant "gently caress this rear end in a top hat. Not because he killed people, but because of the inevitable legislative response."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Misogynist posted:

I had a guy like "where's Al Sharpton now?"

The idea that different people speak up for different causes seems to be lost on a great many. Greenpeace didn't speak up for Eric Garner. PETA's mission doesn't include educating the public about gerrymandering.

It's less that they don't understand people speak up for different causes and more they're racists.

Also have seen a guy saying that he wished we lived in the Old West, he's not a friend of mine but he posted that on another friends status about the subject which isn't great but isn't a shitheaded opinion. And gently caress the number of Thin Blue Line profile pictures popping up. loving Staten Island is the worst

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Supposedly from the culprit's instagram today.

This is real bad. If the police weren't already paranoid and angry at young black men they sure as poo poo will be now, and their lack of sympathy toward anybody protesting the deaths of Garner and Brown is going to turn into outright hostility if they associate them with this rear end in a top hat, and I won't be surprised at all if they do just that.

Edit:

quote:

Retired NYPD detective Harry Houck wasted no time in blaming those protests and the people behind them for what happened today. He said the demonstrations have “all be predicated on lies,” and even went so far as to declare, “We have two dead police officers, and I guess Al Sharpton got what he wanted.”

Well that was fast.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
And here I was hoping Sony Entertainment could keep eating the negative news cycle until the end of the year.

• Locked thread