Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Or that it was just something pulled out of nowhere because the writers of the show want to look progressive which means they are hacks who are just following the whims of their hardcore fans.

Right, stupid things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

There hasn't been any major backlash as of yet but there's been a lot of people bitching.

To be honest though the bitching seems to be "they're pandering to tumblr SJW people!!!" than people actually angry about a homosexual relationship.

You're kidding yourself if you think the latter and the former aren't the same thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

Right, stupid things like that.
Ugh twitter is going to be more awful than usual because I follow people who tweet or retweet stuff about how bad Korra is; which granted I shouldn't really get that upset or bugged about since people just have their opinions and all. But I hate how people get into the business about why this show got hosed over because it was in fact a bad show that kid's couldn't like and that the hardcore adult fans just pirated.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Right, I'm officially dying here. :allears:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm getting kind of sad the show is over with. I watched ATLA well after it was over and remember feeling the same way.

Goddamn you Bryke.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's been ten years and still no soundbending ugh worst show ever.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

It's been ten years and still no soundbending ugh worst show ever.

Didn't you hear Wu singing? :colbert:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Aces High posted:

Alright I can understand that reasoning and I'll just say that my reasoning just goes back to my personal experiences. I already mentioned my sister but another friend I have has always been gay and I asked him if her ever liked girls and he told me that he never did, he always had an attraction to boys/guys. Likewise I will admit that I am personally hesitant for using a label like bisexual because my personal experiences with people who label themselves as such aren't people interested in exploring their sexuality but are more doing it for attention.

tl;dr I personally don't like labeling Korra and Asami as bisexual characters because, to me, that feels more attention seeky than just saying "yeah, we're gay, no biggie" but if other people want to label them as such, I won't argue if they back it up

I know you're not trying to be an rear end but never say the bolded poo poo to a bisexual,it's the bisexual equivalent (well not even equivalent they get both)of well you just haven't met right guy like people will fight you be careful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those explosions were anime as gently caress

oh yeah and korra and asami are spiritmarried now i think

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aces High posted:

I am personally hesitant for using a label like bisexual because my personal experiences with people who label themselves as such aren't people interested in exploring their sexuality but are more doing it for attention.

gently caress yoooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Nickelodeon's The Legend of Korra forces its viewers to confront their views on LGBT relationships.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poo poo, I'm not even the least bit in the know on the difference between gender or sex but even I know that media loooooooooooooooves to play the 'Oh she's just experimenting' card and that is cool and good as long as it's women doing it. I haven't really watched any shows in recent times but I don't think there's been a sudden explosion of 'possibly' gay dudes on TV dating other guys only for their parents to think 'Oh he's just playing around, he'll go back to being attracted to women any day now.'

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know looking back on why the show did bad in ratings, what did Nick expect moving the show to Friday nights? Its called the Friday Night Death Slot for a reason.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SirKibbles posted:

I know you're not trying to be an rear end but never say the bolded poo poo to a bisexual,it's the bisexual equivalent (well not even equivalent they get both)of well you just haven't met right guy like people will fight you be careful.

There is probably a better way to word what I was trying to communicate, yes, but this is the internet so I am fully prepared for people to take what I mean out of context

case in point:

Pomp posted:

gently caress yoooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I understand that it may sound like I don't understand but what I am trying to say is that the people I have known personally were doing it for attention, like out-and-out admitted it to me so I completely understand that I am likely jaded

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

achillesforever6 posted:

You know looking back on why the show did bad in ratings, what did Nick expect moving the show to Friday nights? Its called the Friday Night Death Slot for a reason.

Well they constantly hosed with AtLA's air time, and had random huge delays between episode premiers, but it still had awesome ratings despite all that. I guess nick just assumed it was the kind of show that would get good ratings no matter what they did, so rather than crowd out popular timeslots they stuck it somewhere where they figured no other show could perform.

Alternatively, everybody in a decision making position within nick has their head up there rear end. :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Aces High posted:

There is probably a better way to word what I was trying to communicate, yes, but this is the internet so I am fully prepared for people to take what I mean out of context

case in point:

I understand that it may sound like I don't understand but what I am trying to say is that the people I have known personally were doing it for attention, like out-and-out admitted it to me so I completely understand that I am likely jaded

Being "jaded" isn't a good excuse for perpetuating harmful stereotypes about members of marginalized groups, duder.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
You know, even if I think the romance plot was kind of just thrown in at the end for no reason, at least I know how gay people feel now when heterosexual love plots are shoved in for no reason.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Akumos posted:

You know, even if I think the romance plot was kind of just thrown in at the end for no reason, at least I know how gay people feel now when heterosexual love plots are shoved in for no reason.

I don't think it was thrown in at the end. Korra's been developing her friendship with Asami for a long time now, but particularly since the latter half of season 3 and all throughout this current season. It's just that they didn't really have time for actual romance in this season, so we're just shown the full blossoming of it at the end, there. I actually prefer the hand holding to a kiss, as that would have felt like they were throwing in an already-established relationship.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aces High posted:

case in point:

you met some lovely people. this does not give you the right to be a massive bigot. welp, peace.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Finale hit all the right notes and I think everyone got a scene, they even showed tertiary character like Ikki saving Jinora.

Red Lotus org should have been the villain of the first three seasons though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Korra/Asami relationship has been heavily foreshadowed ever we discovered Asami was the only one Korra wrote during her recovery tbh.

"What no that's just because they're such tight BFFs you're reaching if you think otherwise" heh

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Aces High posted:

case in point:

You being jaded isn't really an issue just like don't say that poo poo period,it's like this a really big issue in the lgbt community and I don't think you're getting that you're saying some hurtful poo poo because you know a few assholes.

Here's hoping some Red Lotus poo poo goes down in the (hopefully coming) comics.

JT Jag posted:

The Korra/Asami relationship has been heavily foreshadowed ever we discovered Asami was the only one Korra wrote during her recovery tbh.

"What no that's just because they're such tight BFFs you're reaching if you think otherwise" heh

Wayyyyy before that I'm thinking it started when Asami was helping Korra after she first got poisoned. She was really there for her when everyone else was being awkward as hell about her being hurt. I don't think it starts as a relationship till the letters though. It's awkward with Mako and Bolin is well Bolin so it just comes to her writing to her and goes from there.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 20, 2014

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
She was also helping take care of Korra during her recovery, went on adventures with her for most of season 3, offered to come down to the Southern Water Tribe...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ETB posted:

She was also helping take care of Korra during her recovery, went on adventures with her for most of season 3, offered to come down to the Southern Water Tribe...
I mean, feel free to assume it's "out of nowhere to appease the Tumblr crowd" if you want but.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly I'm gonna eat crow and say that this relationship was actually subtly foreshadowed in the ending of Book 3 and I just refused to see it because I couldn't believe that Nick would ever allow them to do it. I mean there's absolutely no way this was planned from the very beginning of course. I think the writers just realized that "hey, we may have given a couple of scenes romantic subtext by accident, but this is actually better than any romance we've done. Let's keep doing it." Incidentally, crow tastes loving delicious.

Also the more I think about it, the more I'm glad they didn't actually show them kissing. That wouldn't feel right to me. That's just the ending scene with Katara and Aang where the hero gets the designated love interest who is their one true love forever and the kiss proves it. The end scene with Korra and Asami is the beginning of a romantic relationship, not the culmination of one. Instead of the love at first sight stuff this show (and many, many others) generally pushed in our faces, we got a friendship turning into a romance. And while that isn't always how it happens in real life, it does always feel far more natural to me than how this is normally handled.

All that said, I'm really afraid that this tiny scene at the end of a solid as gently caress finale is going to be the only reason this show is remembered, and that's sad. It was a drat good show.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I still love Wu's line "...sometimes a good evacuation is it's own reward" :haw:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Also the more I think about it, the more I'm glad they didn't actually show them kissing. That wouldn't feel right to me. That's just the ending scene with Katara and Aang where the hero gets the designated love interest who is their one true love forever and the kiss proves it. The end scene with Korra and Asami is the beginning of a romantic relationship, not the culmination of one. Instead of the love at first sight stuff this show (and many, many others) generally pushed in our faces, we got a friendship turning into a romance. And while that isn't always how it happens in real life, it does always feel far more natural to me than how this is normally handled.
Agreed actually.

They totally have their first kiss a few days later in the Spirit Realm though. Probably while having a picnic under the Tree of Time.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Aces High posted:

Alright I can understand that reasoning and I'll just say that my reasoning just goes back to my personal experiences. I already mentioned my sister but another friend I have has always been gay and I asked him if her ever liked girls and he told me that he never did, he always had an attraction to boys/guys. Likewise I will admit that I am personally hesitant for using a label like bisexual because my personal experiences with people who label themselves as such aren't people interested in exploring their sexuality but are more doing it for attention.

tl;dr I personally don't like labeling Korra and Asami as bisexual characters because, to me, that feels more attention seeky than just saying "yeah, we're gay, no biggie" but if other people want to label them as such, I won't argue if they back it up

Hey!

gently caress you buddy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

JT Jag posted:

Agreed actually.

They totally have their first kiss a few days later in the Spirit Realm though. Probably while having a picnic under the Tree of Time.

Inside it. Then they accidentally astral project, and all of republic city sees them mackin' as giants in the harbor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just hope they're OK with the possibility of Zaheer walking in on 'em, that's all I'm saying.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SirKibbles posted:

You being jaded isn't really an issue just like don't say that poo poo period

That's fair, I'm pretty good at shoving my entire leg in my mouth when it comes to any subject :v:

Poor Kai took that fight badly, seeing as he's the only one at the reception with his head down on the table, all he was missing was a few empty glasses

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

Agreed actually.

I think it's safe to assume that, yes.

But really neither of them have ever been in a same sex relationship before, and I doubt Korra has even considered it until recently. The way their scenes together play out makes it seem like Asami was in to Korra before Korra was in to Asami. Korra was too busy with being poisoned and crippled and being the Avatar to really go there, until quite recently. They're not gonna jump right in to it.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 20, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Darth Walrus posted:

Just hope they're OK with the possibility of Zaheer walking in on 'em, that's all I'm saying.

Well, he's just meditating into the Spirit World, and Korra and Asami walked into a portal, so she can just earthbend him through a tree if need be.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Speculating on the way a romance between fictional women would play out:
We are near peak fanfiction here, people, remember the evacuation procedures.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
eh i am cool with hot lesbians / bisexuals being shown in more media.

no fatties tho tia

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jackard posted:

Finale hit all the right notes and I think everyone got a scene, they even showed tertiary character like Ikki saving Jinora.

Red Lotus org should have been the villain of the first three seasons though.

This is something that you'd expect to see posted up on like telephone poles and tacked to goofy bulletin boards at the library and stuff.

"TEACH THE CONTROVERSY. WWW . REDLOTUS . ORG WHAT THE AVATAR DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Motherfucker posted:

eh i am cool with hot lesbians / bisexuals being shown in more media.

no fatties tho tia

.... wait are there any fat people in the Avatar world? All I got is baby Korra. Must be all that kung-fu.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

"How would the two of you like to...fly higher?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Fanfiction is made-up bullshit. Half the thread has been speculation about the show, and this is a topic given major prominence within said show. I mean, a Nickelodeon flagship cartoon ended with its protagonist starting up a gay relationship. That's a pretty enormous deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This is in no way a Nickelodeon flagship cartoon, and hasn't been since they moved season 2 to the Friday Night Death Slot.

VanSandman posted:

I'm happy speculating about anything else from the end, like say the eventual fate of the new Earth Federation (clearly where the cyber punk third Avatar series will take place). But this mainly seems to be what people want to talk about and I'm ok speculating about that, too.

It's ok to talk about aspects of the show that tumblr and fanfiction.net have talked about. We don't have to worry about ritual pollution or something.

• Locked thread