Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

amuayse posted:

EoSD is kinda weird since the later stages have the faeries being more difficult than the actual bosses.
Only for stage 4 imo, there are just a few tight spots in stage 5 and stage 6 shouldn't kill you unless you screw up. In any case you can just bomb through difficult stages, but that doesn't really work with the bosses.

these philistines hating on EoSD... I like that it doesn't have system mechanics. Just shoot mans and don't get shot. There also aren't as many "puzzle" type spell cards as in later games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Redmark posted:

these philistines hating on EoSD... I like that it doesn't have system mechanics. Just shoot mans and don't get shot. There also aren't as many "puzzle" type spell cards as in later games.

The PC-98 games were like this, too. I think Mystic Square had a gimmick somewhere, but the series didn't get into the heavy thematic scoring gimmicks until Perfect Cherry Blossom.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Mystic Square had the Dream Gauge which was sort of vaguely like the Supernatural Border in PCB, though it wasn't really something I ever paid attention to when I played it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
LLS had some really hilarious score mechanics that, when combined with the overpowered as gently caress bombs made the game pretty easy overall.

It helped you could start with five bombs with no score penalty. :getin:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wonder if Lunatic will improve my night driving skills. Everything looks like fuzzy bullets to me since I recently got lasik.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

LLS had some really hilarious score mechanics that, when combined with the overpowered as gently caress bombs made the game pretty easy overall.

It helped you could start with five bombs with no score penalty. :getin:

Being rewarded for bombing is pretty amazing for a change.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

the fucker who uploaded this posted:

"Me: OMG *flails* Flan-chan!!!

Flandre: *turns* :D Jess!! *glomps*

Me: *hugs tightly* Oh lord I thought I'd never see you again!! ;A; *cries*

Flandre: Hehe, yeah *wipes tears from eyes* It's good to be back...

And so, I spent the entire time extending this crying because I was so happy. H-Hey, don't judge me!"

christ

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 19, 2014

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I've pretty much long accepted that most Touhou fans are particularly pathetic teenagers. Whatever, I still enjoy the poo poo. Thankfully, ZUN just does his own thing and doesn't particularly pander to his fan base. After all, he's got more than enough actual fans creating actual content to do that for him.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Are Touhou fans really that common, let alone annoying ones? I have essentially no exposure to the community outside of this thread so I wouldn't really know. That seems pretty typical for Youtube comments for anything vaguely anime though.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Redmark posted:

Are Touhou fans really that common, let alone annoying ones? I have essentially no exposure to the community outside of this thread so I wouldn't really know. That seems pretty typical for Youtube comments for anything vaguely anime though.

Yes and you should keep it that way. It's for the best.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Redmark posted:

If you think of it as Team Fortress 2 But With Animes, you'll get an idea of how big the fanbase is in Japan. And of course, the golden rule is that the bigger a fanbase is, the creepier it has the potential of being.

In other words, listen to this goon, they have the right idea:

Widdiful posted:

Yes and you should keep it that way. It's for the best.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Goodnight sweet prince...

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
That's in Japan though. Basically the reason I ask is because I've never actually seen anyone in real life talk about Touhou, or any discussion of it on 'big' websites, so it kind of seems like you won't find the creepy stuff unless you're looking for it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's unlikely you will hear anything Japan-related that's not localized in America outside of maybe Cali or Hawaii.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Devour or Fire posted:

Remember when people said the same thing last year and no one really cared???

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Devour or Fire posted:

Maybe this is a new graph, I dunno, but last time this came up it was shown that the numbers were wrong.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

amuayse posted:

It's unlikely you will hear anything Japan-related that's not localized in America outside of maybe Cali or Hawaii.

Umm I lived in Atlanta and met ZUN, what are you talking about?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Devour or Fire posted:

This very page has shown us that Touhou fans are pretty much worthless anyway, so I don't imagine anything of value has been lost.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty poo poo that Touhou had to be overtaken by Kantai Collection of all things. But the thing that makes Touhou worth paying attention to has nothing to do with the quantity of circles representing it at Comiket. As long as ZUN is still doing his thing, what does it matter? And his comics aren't even dojin! In this age of digital distribution, that number could drop to zero for all I care.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Hello I am a Touhou fan but not like thoooose fans.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

FractalSandwich posted:

This very page has shown us that Touhou fans are pretty much worthless anyway, so I don't imagine anything of value has been lost.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty poo poo that Touhou had to be overtaken by Kantai Collection of all things. But the thing that makes Touhou worth paying attention to has nothing to do with the quantity of circles representing it at Comiket. As long as ZUN is still doing his thing, what does it matter? And his comics aren't even dojin! In this age of digital distribution, that number could drop to zero for all I care.

Ehh, the thing that makes touhou kinda special is that it's been around for a hell of a lot longer, and it'll keep going on. Kancolle is just yet another thing trying to steal it's place, but in 5 years no one's gonna remember anything about boat game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Honestly, think of the fans who want/imagine Touhou to be an enormous harem series. They're all off and migrating to KanColle. This isn't really a bad thing in the slightest.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The true tragedy is that Bkub migrated from Touhou to making original comics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Honestly, think of the fans who want/imagine Touhou to be an enormous harem series. They're all off and migrating to KanColle. This isn't really a bad thing in the slightest.
Right, exactly. I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of someone who was making cool Touhou things for cool Touhou fans, and gave it up to make Kantai Collection things instead. It seems to me that someone like that is not going to see any virtue at all in Kantai Collection, but I might just be projecting.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I imagine some people make cool things for whichever franchise is in vogue, irrespective of which franchise that is, simply because they enjoy making things and sharing them. It could very well be a loss, but likely not a big one.

My main concern is that the whole "Touhou's community is so bad" talking point, even if it's accurate, makes some people wary of playing the games even though they'd never come into contact with the community anyway. That's not just a hypothetical, some people do avoid Touhou for that reason, just as they'd avoid Kantai Collection, because of the (unearned) reputation.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kantai is a pretty boring game though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It also sexualizes the heck out of its young girl characters.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Those are boats.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Potsticker posted:

All anime is young girl characters.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm just saying that Kancolle definitely deserves it's reputation.

But it's certainly not Touhou! Which actually kind of reminds me that I never got around to Impossible Spellcard. How did that one turn out?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I'm just saying that Kancolle definitely deserves it's reputation.

But it's certainly not Touhou! Which actually kind of reminds me that I never got around to Impossible Spellcard. How did that one turn out?

Easier than you'd expect from something called "Impossible Spellcard"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of someone who was making cool Touhou things for cool Touhou fans, and gave it up to make Kantai Collection things instead. It seems to me that someone like that is not going to see any virtue at all in Kantai Collection, but I might just be projecting.

Morino Hon started down that path a bit, as did chikage (kinokodou). Didn't stick but eh.

e: Also that chick who did the 'My playthroughs of touhou' doujins.

Potsticker posted:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

the wildest rear end posted:

Easier than you'd expect from something called "Impossible Spellcard"

Are we talking Shoot the Bullet easy here? Double Dealing Character actually seemed on the easier side too, but I attributed that to having played a lot of other shooting games around the same time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I see no young girl there, just an old hag steeped in vanity!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Elliotw2 posted:

Umm I lived in Atlanta and met ZUN, what are you talking about?
Well there's much a much larger concentration of Japanese-American communities in Hawaii and Cali, along with the fact there are many specialty stores and exchange students from Japan there. The local comic and game store in Aiea sold Touhou discs even.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

She's young in my heart okay!!!!!!

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Byakuren looks like she has hiccups in the wrong places.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Redmark posted:

My main concern is that the whole "Touhou's community is so bad" talking point, even if it's accurate, makes some people wary of playing the games even though they'd never come into contact with the community anyway. That's not just a hypothetical, some people do avoid Touhou for that reason, just as they'd avoid Kantai Collection, because of the (unearned) reputation.
I agree, that sucks, but what can you do about it? The Touhou games' reputation as "that anime maid game" far precedes anyone actually playing them. And worse, I think a lot of people immediately write them off as soon as they see that they're about cartoon girls in frilly dresses and wouldn't believe you if you told them they're the most harmless thing in the world, and in fact one of the better portrayals of women in games.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FractalSandwich posted:

Right, exactly. I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows of someone who was making cool Touhou things for cool Touhou fans, and gave it up to make Kantai Collection things instead. It seems to me that someone like that is not going to see any virtue at all in Kantai Collection, but I might just be projecting.

I liked Ringetsumon's work, but that was mostly because he did stories about the Taoist crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Cirno Racing dream is still alive.