Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dark Angels just got a new dataslate from the advent calendar thing and it's kind of interesting. It consists of Ezekiel and 2-4 other librarians, but I don't think they're a single unit. The rules follow below:

* Nominate one model at the beginning of the psychic phase. It can use the powers of all the other models in this formation within 12". They may not cast any powers themselves though. Also, the main dude succeeds on rolls of 3+.
* Mind Worm, Ezekiel's unique power, has its range doubled if the model using it has at least one other librarian within 12".

I have no idea how to work all of these guys into a list, but it seems like it could be fun. Just a bunch of space wizards running around doing their thing. :smugwizard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rano Pano
Jan 17, 2004

Sorry for not replying but I had minis to...paint. Previous post

Slimnoid posted:

:catstare:

Who the gently caress are you and where have you been all my life?

Furthermore where did you get those mortars? They look delightfully gross.

Just some leftover ghoul parts and a lot of green stuff.

Dump_Stat posted:

Oh man, these are disgusting in an absolutely awesome way!

Lord Twisted posted:

These look loving disturbing and hideous.

Keep up the good work.

Safety Factor posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Please keep us updated on your army and subsequent decline into insanity.

CyberLord XP posted:

That is a sweet army. Post more please!

Your prayers have been answered! Since it seems at least some wanted to see more of this little project, here's what I've been doing since last time.

I needed a proper HQ, so I waited until one of my Russes started to change into a commander:

Some veterans. Tried to steal the color scheme from my buddy's loyalist IG (he might be in this thread):

Conscripts! Gotta have conscripts:

And this thing that took ages to build/ruin/paint. I nerded out and put LED lighting in the cockpit, just because I wanted to try it out:

Rano Pano fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 19, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
These are just excellent! You have hit the nail on the head for the horror both in theme and execution. Absolutely love it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Those old-school Nids rule... awesome job! Only question though, what's with the varied basing styles? Are you going for a mixed look, or are they still in progress?

Finally finished up some Squats. Well, almost finished. Photos always reveal some things that need neatening up.

Inquisitor with Conversion Beamer. The big cannon "conversion beamer" is just a marker, with all LOS etc. drawn from the Squat. I'll use it variously as an objective or emplaced useable weapon in games without the Inquisitor. He's definitely getting another black wash on the beard and some blacklining around the copper face medallions.

He'll be in the unit with his two assistants (play as Jokaero), who I've had made for a while. I had to shuffle my lists when the new Inquisition and GK Codexes came out.

Here's the Librarian Scrunt Squat Runemaster, playing as a GK Librarian. He'll have an entire unit of Terminator Scrunts Exo-Armour Squats in the future.

And, finally, one last guy who is still a work in progress - needs a grenade in that hand, for example, and I might greenstuff some more details. I don't really know what to field him as in my army lists, but I truly hope some of you recognize the character.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this is looking super cool. Would it be possible to slice the cheekbones up a little bit so the head is a slim, Necron-looking head? Either way, with a suitably firey paintjob this should be great.

These are all super cool. Just fantastic, really.

EDIT: those horrific Guard at the top of this page are sublime. I like the Valkyrie best. What a great thread.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 19, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Goddamn we've had some great picture posts in the last page or so, keep 'em coming people!

To keep the ball rolling, here's my finished Tyranid Warriors and with a Tyranid Prime. I still need to make one more Warrior to make the unit legal.

One of these days I should really get back to taking photographs with decent lighting, the florescent lights here in the office wash out all the shading and make the carapace look way more flat than it does in person.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Dark Angels just got a new dataslate from the advent calendar thing and it's kind of interesting. It consists of Ezekiel and 2-4 other librarians, but I don't think they're a single unit. The rules follow below:

* Nominate one model at the beginning of the psychic phase. It can use the powers of all the other models in this formation within 12". They may not cast any powers themselves though. Also, the main dude succeeds on rolls of 3+.
* Mind Worm, Ezekiel's unique power, has its range doubled if the model using it has at least one other librarian within 12".

I have no idea how to work all of these guys into a list, but it seems like it could be fun. Just a bunch of space wizards running around doing their thing. :smugwizard:

Oh god I need more librarians.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Safety Factor posted:

Have there been any more dataslates in the advent calendar this year? I was under the impression it was all short stories for some reason.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
There were not many. I posted the CSM one that people think is mostly meh and there was a dark angel one that needed a lot of junk units that no one liked.

Everyone has hopes that the chaos daemon icon on the last day will be something super cool. Like exalted daemons with models on 120mm oval bases. It would be a Christmas miracle.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Screw daemons, that's a White Scars logo! :neckbeard:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Thanks guys. This has been a great couple of pages. Rano those Guard are awesome.

adamantium|wang posted:

e: Rough count is 1 old Tyrant, 2 Eggs-On-Legs, 3 old Lictors, 7 old Gargoyles, most of 2 metal Warriors and about two dozen purple Stealers.
Sweet. Yeah... This aint gonna be cheap. If they make a significant difference to weight, don't worry about the Gargoyles as I just scored a bunch for pennies on eBay.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Those old-school Nids rule... awesome job! Only question though, what's with the varied basing styles? Are you going for a mixed look, or are they still in progress?
The bases are me running out of one colour that I was brushing on, airbrushing a second until my compressor took a poo poo, then saying "gently caress it" and buying some green spray from Walmart. They'll be consistent from here on out. My OCD is such that I'll go back to them eventually, but right now I'm tired of looking at them.

Also:
This is the best thing.

Pierre, that's a sweet Prime. I'm glad the kit finally lets you distinguish in some way. Funnily enough, there's a crested metal Warrior that I'm thinking of using the same way.

(not mine)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Have there been any more dataslates in the advent calendar this year? I was under the impression it was all short stories for some reason.

Each day is one release from the fiction line and also one release from the game line. Sometimes that means a dataslate, sometimes that means a painting guide, sometimes it's a wallpaper bundle or a special mission. So far we've had two Dark Angels dataslates and one for Crimson Slaughter, plus all three Leviathan Rising in a collection for Tyranids. I've heard rumor (solely rumor) that the Grey Knights day might bring back Mordrak and his Ghost Knights, which seems like a rad idea but will most likely be underwhelming.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yessss, more of these guys :getin: Keep up the good work, everything's looking great so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

There were not many. I posted the CSM one that people think is mostly meh and there was a dark angel one that needed a lot of junk units that no one liked.

Everyone has hopes that the chaos daemon icon on the last day will be something super cool. Like exalted daemons with models on 120mm oval bases. It would be a Christmas miracle.
Didn't the other Dark Angels formation do something stupid like give relentless to a bunch of units that already have it? I think the only unit that actually benefited was a single tactical squad. I don't remember what the Chaos Marine one was. Have there been any other dataslates released? (Answered in the post above mine) I know they put out a collected version of the Leviathan formations, but that doesn't really count as new.

I'd actually consider running that librarian formation though. It could get pretty pricy, but Ezekiel and two librarians isn't too bad. Unfortunately, the main detachment would still need another HQ.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

spacegoat posted:

Pierre, that's a sweet Prime. I'm glad the kit finally lets you distinguish in some way. Funnily enough, there's a crested metal Warrior that I'm thinking of using the same way.

(not mine)

My old Prime used those legs to differentiate itself from the others (along with a bulkier torso thanks to some greenstuffing). I can't seem to find a picture of it on the internet (last time I posted it was in like 2010 or something on EoW (:rip:).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

quote:

FORMATION:
1 Ezekiel
2-4 Librarians

RESTRICTIONS:
All units in this Formation must have the Dark Angels Faction.

SPECIAL RULES:
Empyric Connection: At the start of the Psychic phase, you can nominate one model from this Formation. If you do this, the nominated model has access to any psychic powers known by other models from this Formation within 12" until the end of the phase; however, other models from this Formation within 12" of the nominated model cannot manifest psychic powers until the end of the phase.

Furthermore, when the nominated model makes Psychic tests this phase, he will harness Warp Charge points on a result of 3+ rather than 4+ if there is at least one other model from this Formation within 12".

Focussed Interromancy: When manifesting the Mind Worm psychic power (see Codex: Dark Angels), models in this Formation can double the power’s maximum range if there is at least one other model from this Formation within 12".

I dunno, I think I'd run it.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
You only need one model with the Possession Malefic power to turn all of the librarians into greater daemons.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Rano Pano posted:

I needed a proper HQ, so I waited until one of my Russes started to change into a commander:

This is awesome. All of your stuff is awesome.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I don't get it. :saddowns:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bubble butt, bubble bubble bubble butt

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 19, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Thanks for laying that down, I hadn't seen his new album cover.

Babe Magnet posted:

bubble butt, bubble bubble bubble butt

:chanpop:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Please, all of you, keep posting your cool poo poo.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I don't have my Necrons book in front of me but would Destruction Crypteks count as Crypteks for the purposes of the C'Tan formation? Would be pretty cool to poo poo out a couple S8 AP2 shots every turn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

panascope posted:

I don't have my Necrons book in front of me but would Destruction Crypteks count as Crypteks for the purposes of the C'Tan formation? Would be pretty cool to poo poo out a couple S8 AP2 shots every turn.

All crypteks are crypteks. You pay points for the "type" which pretty much just switches your weapon and gives you options on what to buy.

EDIT: Unless the formation limits the type, I guess.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
It does not. Taking a Harbinger of Eternity with Chronometron for one of them would be very wise, since that gives you a reroll per turn to keep the squad alive.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

If I had two Overlords and two separate Royal Courts then, I can take two Chronometrons and re-roll two dice per turn? That seems pretty decent. Edit: and a Timesplinter Cloak too why not for a 3++? If I'm going nuts on some dumb formation I may as well go whole hog.

panascope fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 20, 2014

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

panascope posted:

If I had two Overlords and two separate Royal Courts then, I can take two Chronometrons and re-roll two dice per turn? That seems pretty decent. Edit: and a Timesplinter Cloak too why not for a 3++? If I'm going nuts on some dumb formation I may as well go whole hog.
This would work, but you can only reroll a single failed die once, so there are diminishing returns on the second Chronometron.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind a new cron codex is imminent. So crypteks may operate differently or be simplified. My guess is they'll become a HQ slot like pain boys and sanguinary priests.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
New cron codex

a Crondex

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

It does not. Taking a Harbinger of Eternity with Chronometron for one of them would be very wise, since that gives you a reroll per turn to keep the squad alive.

I misread that as "Hamburger of Eternity" and now I want some fluff.

In honor of Hollismason, I submit we replace "drinking the kool-aid" with "eating the gumbo" when referring to 40k/GW.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hollismason is the new Noctis Horrendae

Neoctis Horrendeux

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cataphract posted:

Keep in mind a new cron codex is imminent. So crypteks may operate differently or be simplified. My guess is they'll become a HQ slot like pain boys and sanguinary priests.

Which is sad, because I was really hoping for painboys to start operating more like crypteks :smith:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

Haywire crypteks are pretty neat, so hopefully they will keep those.

Hats off to them!

Skull pun

Objectifying women? Women as objectives?

I am in an air boat mother fucker.

Not sure why I can't share all my images. Maybe I shouldn't use facebook for pics.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 20, 2014

kender
Dec 15, 2000
Forum Veteran

LordAba posted:

I am in an air boat mother fucker.

Not sure why I can't share all my images. Maybe I shouldn't use facebook for pics.

I've had this wild hair to make some kind of Space Wolves Space Longboat with the shields hanging from the sides out of the Barge for the longest time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I doubt they'll move Crypteks to a HQ slot unless they see a significant buff in stats or abilities. I'm more curious what the actual Warlords trait and new detachment will be. Although I can't really think of a detachment that would fit the Necrons. I think it's maybe likely we'll see flayed ones moved to troops as they really are not a elite choice. The current detachment is for a specific dynasty and if the last few books have been a indication Necrons will get one or two specialized detachment types.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I doubt they'll move Crypteks to a HQ slot unless they see a significant buff in stats or abilities. I'm more curious what the actual Warlords trait and new detachment will be. Although I can't really think of a detachment that would fit the Necrons. I think it's maybe likely we'll see flayed ones moved to troops as they really are not a elite choice. The current detachment is for a specific dynasty and if the last few books have been a indication Necrons will get one or two specialized detachment types.

If the 7th ed codicies we've seen are anything to go by nothing new will become troops. hell it's more likely for Immortals to get moved back to elites before flayed ones become troops.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I doubt either will happen. They like to give every faction at least two choices in the troops slot. Sisters are the only exception.

I'm interested to see what they do with crypteks. I suspect they will get random powers now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I could see Flayed ones becoming troops and Immortals becoming Elites, they don't really make any sense where they are now but that's never been a indication of things. I'm curious if we'll get multiple Dynasties but I feel like we're going to only get the Mephrit and the "normal". So really it's a issue of what normal is. I could also see Scarabs moved to troops.

Things I predict

Nerfs

Mindshackle Scarabs
Scythe - moved to unwieldy
Tesla moved to non snap shots
Nightscythes
Doomscythes
Annihilation Barges
Catacomb command barges

Buffs

Flayed Ones
Guard
Jetbike dudes , similar to the Reavers from Dark Eldar, i could see these moved to a 10 max squad size.
C'Tan moved to lord of war and improved

I think these are safe bets. Superexcited Regardless, Blood Angels release was great, so maybe Necrons will get the same treatment with lots of Formations and Detachment types.

Regardless super happy so for with my Necron purchases, I only have about 2200 to 2700, but I am ordering a airbrush which I think will give me the ability to paint them the colour I want which is kind of a IPOD white.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 20, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This would be a prime time for GW to release a new C'tan model that isn't the Deceiver, Nightbringer or the Transcendent.

Which will probably mean no new C'tan model in 2015.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think it's a safe bet that Necrons will get the GK treatment; Some tweaks but nothing in the way of new kits.They got so many new models after their last codex release which really wasn't that long ago (Nov 2011).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well we know for at least their getting the new Necron Lord as that's been heavily featured and possibly a new Warrior box with different bases, but honestly , the models really don't need new models. The entire line is really close to just well excellent. As is the Codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Well we know for at least their getting the new Necron Lord as that's been heavily featured and possibly a new Warrior box with different bases, but honestly , the models really don't need new models. The entire line is really close to just well excellent. As is the Codex.

Well, the elite slot generally sucks, minus some tricks with the snipers.

• Locked thread