Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the spirit of chester pulley watches over us

oorag chipotlepecker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Obligatory.

http://youtu.be/EmUIfX9TSJs

I guess the 82d is the knife in this analogy?

you mean it unnecessarily injures people during training?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

sticks where it lands

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
helicopters are the way to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2SO2_lOQ4

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...orName=dfdfdfed

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

The wings look bitching cool.

The SAS were the first ones to rock the Wings of Isis. Jock Lewes copied them from the decor of a hotel he liked.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

at the date posted:

sticks where it lands

Both of these are correct, judges would have also accepted "loving pointless except for a very narrow window of possible, very improbable usage"

I still loved being in the 82d.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Thats at JRTC! I recognize those lovely buildings.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, my Anti Armor section - with a team of Engineers, was supposed to provide a blocking position that was to overwatch a military barracks, remove 12 ZU 23-4s (we were assured the aircorce would get the three on AA platforms, the other 12 were on level ground and up to us), provide security over a "small" ditch (which you could have run a tank down), block any and all vehicular traffic, and provide support and be an assault force for other taskings, while leaving half of our section with the team of engineers to hold the position. With nothing more than a basic load of ammo for most weapons (.50, Mk19, M4s) and less than a basic load for the TOW missiles (loving garbage at any rate) and the 203s.

This was after we were going to drop into the loving tarmac, effect movement to out trucks- which were being dropped at the other end of the airport, an estimated 2km movement over open ground- unrig them and get them out of the marsh at the other end, and then not run into the company of armor that intel lost, in addition to the at least one BN of mechanized Republican Guard.

Oh, and we were informed the Iraqi forces had dug ditches, built berms, blown up aircraft to block airlanding, reinforced fighting positions everywhere, and were flooding the canals with petrol based poo poo to set it afire.

The BN intel officer didn't find it funny when we would hum Ring of Fire during briefings.

I was only in high school at the time but I remember Baghdad being hyped up to be this unbreakable fortress and that we were gonna have the 3rd ID surround it and then have some huge airborne op for the airfield and then have 4th ID come in and take the city proper. Then it turned out 3rd ID could probably do all of it by themselves since the Iraqi Army sucked and there was no need to get fancy with it.

pretty sure anyone with half a brain realized that airborne assault is a stupid as gently caress proposition after market garden

really unsure why the 82nd is still a thing

Ranger Regiment had a few successful ones in GWOT though their over usefulness has gone way down.

Mike-o posted:

The army needs someplace to put their super extra autistic canon fodder snowflakes. The 82nd can't stand being around just plain old asperger kids, they take away the heroism of the REAL autistics.

The main use for Airborne School now is providing the first baby step into spec ops.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

P sure the only use for airborne is securing assets as your conventional infantry fucks everything and everyone, preventing counter-assault. So super-handy for taking over or disabling high value assets, but you'd better hope the overall plan goes OK.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I thought I remember someone posting here the last "mission" they did was early 2000 jumping into an air field in Iraq?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

3ID did get hammered pretty hard while making their move for Baghdad, and the fight for BIAP was pretty legit.
Fun fact- my section's objective wasn't far from where that dude got the MoH.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VWPOpYbQI

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

TOWs suck.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

syrians love them. shoot them at everything. tanks, cars, people. you name it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I had heard somewhere that the originals sucked, but the TOW-2, particularly the later versions, was a big step up. Something you can C/D without summoning OPSEC Wizard?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dead Reckoning posted:

I had heard somewhere that the originals sucked, but the TOW-2, particularly the later versions, was a big step up. Something you can C/D without summoning OPSEC Wizard?

TOW-2s have been in service since the 80s.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do t-72s just really suck? Seems weird that a missile can blow up 10 ft above a tank and still set off the ammo inside(I'm guessing that's what popped the turret in that secondary explosion)

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

Do t-72s just really suck? Seems weird that a missile can blow up 10 ft above a tank and still set off the ammo inside(I'm guessing that's what popped the turret in that secondary explosion)

It's meant to go off above the target. It's not a contact warhead but a shaped charge driving a penetrator straight down through the thin top armor.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Slim Pickens posted:

Also the export "monkey model" T-72s do suck. They're seventies vintage Soviet tech with downrated engines, guns, and armor and all the whiz-bang optics and electronics stripped out. And that's all before whatever third-world goons they got sold to had a chance to not maintain them for 20 years.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 21, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Caconym posted:

It's meant to go off above the target. It's not a contact warhead but a shaped charge driving a penetrator straight down through the thin top armor.
This is the important part.

Most tanks that vintage have top armor that won't like any hits above 12,7mm, so anything explosively shaped...

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Also the export "monkey model" T-72s do suck. They're seventies vintage Soviet tech with downrated engines, guns, and armor and all the whiz-bang optics and electronics stripped out. And that's all before whatever third-world goons they got sold to had a chance to not maintain them for 20 years.

The monkey model thing isn't really true. There are export versions but the difference isn't so dramatic.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

sorry im just bitter i have to go back to work tomorrow instead of jackin it in my room all day

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

The reason T-72s go up so violently is that they store their ammunition in a carousel autoloader inside the main crew compartment, in order to increase rate of fire. This means that any attack that penetrates the crew compartment is likely to cook off the ammo and result in spectacular youtube videos. Contrast with the M1 Abrams that stores its ammo in a special compartment behild the crew that is designed to vent ammo explosions away from the crew.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

The reason T-72s go up so violently is that they store their ammunition in a carousel autoloader inside the main crew compartment, in order to increase rate of fire. This means that any attack that penetrates the crew compartment is likely to cook off the ammo and result in spectacular youtube videos. Contrast with the M1 Abrams that stores its ammo in a special compartment behild the crew that is designed to vent ammo explosions away from the crew.

It not matter, we have 20 more where that came from! Glorious Motherland!

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 21, 2014

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Even the TOW2 models suck. The missle warheads are good, but everything else about them sucks.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkxlrrISPro

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Volkerball posted:

syrians love them. shoot them at everything. tanks, cars, people. you name it.

Shoot TOWs at whatever the gently caress, whenever the gently caress.

E: To be fair Javelins tend to gently caress up dwellings better. It might be the punching through the roof vs the knocking on the front door thing.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 21, 2014

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Patton looking warmer than a motherfucker here. And in some crazy space boots I've never seen before.

Love this and the picture of Chesty with hands firmly planted in pockets, btw.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

My favorite example. :rip: in peace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvuwUxaJmlo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nah, burn in hell actually

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ReebTop posted:

Patton looking warmer than a motherfucker here. And in some crazy space boots I've never seen before.

Love this and the picture of Chesty with hands firmly planted in pockets, btw.

I believe his boots are Frye Wellington "jet boots".

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkxGj3Lr3D0

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nuclear Santa is Best Santa

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Madurai posted:

Nuclear Santa is Best Santa

All i want for christmass is to be washed away by the holy fire of nuclear explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

rekt

• Locked thread