Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone know of a method to get a Gamecube adapter right now more cheaply than spending $80 for a price gouger on Amazon?

Also, I am so loving pumped to get this for Xmas. I've poured hundreds of hours into Melee (skipped Brawl) and just watching this game be played has me so hype. Speaking of which, for those who've also played a lot of Melee, how does this compare in terms of control, or really just in general? I'd love some comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

OmegaGoo posted:

Thoron is totally pocketable.

Yeah I've had people pocket my Thoron because I was careless with throwing them out. They've never hit me back with it though because I get extremely careful when my stuff gets pocketed.

Chakram posted:

Would that be Xenoblade in the background?

Yeah, I was playing Xenoblade.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
If Melee is your only frame of reference, this one's a lot slower-paced and more defense-oriented, though not to the point that Brawl was. As long as you adjust for that and don't expect to carry over advanced competitive techniques, you should have some fun. :)

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

The Midniter posted:

Anyone know of a method to get a Gamecube adapter right now more cheaply than spending $80 for a price gouger on Amazon?

Also, I am so loving pumped to get this for Xmas. I've poured hundreds of hours into Melee (skipped Brawl) and just watching this game be played has me so hype. Speaking of which, for those who've also played a lot of Melee, how does this compare in terms of control, or really just in general? I'd love some comparisons.

Short answer: You can't. Nintendo got blindsided by the demand for these things and there just aren't enough out there for everyone.

Long Answer: Keep your eyes peeled here, Reddit, Smashboards, and a few other places. They do occasionally become available online or at retailers, but they go quick. A week or two ago Gamestop had them in stock online, but they were gone in 2 hours. If you do manage to find one at Gamestop/Best Buy/Target/Wal-Mart/etc. it'll be retail price ($20).

Edit: And yeah, it's slower than Melee, but just because it's slower doesn't mean that combos aren't possible or that things can't get crazy as poo poo.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 19, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You got a link to the video that .gif is from? Looks exciting.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpU6zwL3hu0

Nakat V Nairo is always a good time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

LanceKing2200 posted:

Edit: And yeah, it's slower than Melee, but just because it's slower doesn't mean that combos aren't possible or that things can't get crazy as poo poo.

I have got to keep learning ZSS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Midniter posted:

BrownThunder in the SA-Mart may end up selling his for $50, but I guess you could run in and offer $55.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

seiferguy posted:

I've gotten pretty good with my custom Yoshi at doing a crazy orders run and easily getting 10-11 runs in before feeling compelled to beat Crazy Hand (note: Yoshi's aerial down still wrecks Crazy Hand, as it has in every smash game). Equip him with the vampire brawn badge from Lucina's cruel melee achievement and lifesteal the crap out of enemies. I was excited since I got a run of 4 CDs. 3 of theose CDs all ended up being Ike's Theme though :shepface:

You can go far beyond that easily. Grab a character with a fast projectile (Mario with fast fireball, for instance), and equip items with the "Home-Run Bat", "Quick Batter", and "First Striker" abilities. Fight anything except Horde and Team, start battles using the fast projectile and make sure it hits. You have ten seconds of invincibility to OHKO your opponent with a Home-Run Bat smash.

I've gone over 20 that way. As long as Master/Crazy have lackeys (which I don't know if or when it stops, by 22 they're still there), you can trigger the invincibility even against the Hands (by hitting their lackeys).

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Holy moly.
e: In a good way, I mean. Didn't know ZSS could do that with the paralyzer smash.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 19, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cicadas! posted:

Holy moly.
e: In a good way, I mean. Didn't know ZSS could do that with the paralyzer smash.

The best part was when he chased Falcon after they broke out of the paralysis with an up-b attack.

e: Went to Target since their site said they have the Captain Falcon amiibo in stock and found him stocked with a few other Diddy Kongs but just grabbed Falcon.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 19, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's annoying how ZSS is actually pretty good, it means people are all like "you're just picking her because she's good" when no, I just like kicking people into the air.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

This Kirby food eating event...holy poo poo I feel like I could write a novel about how awful it is. Most frustrating event for me by far.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I've gotten pretty good with my custom Yoshi at doing a crazy orders run and easily getting 10-11 runs in before feeling compelled to beat Crazy Hand (note: Yoshi's aerial down still wrecks Crazy Hand, as it has in every smash game). Equip him with the vampire brawn badge from Lucina's cruel melee achievement and lifesteal the crap out of enemies. I was excited since I got a run of 4 CDs. 3 of theose CDs all ended up being Ike's Theme though :shepface:

The game is telling you something

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Keiya posted:

It's annoying how ZSS is actually pretty good, it means people are all like "you're just picking her because she's good" when no, I just like kicking people into the air.

Be glad that the character you like to play as is actually good, because the alternative blows.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Be glad that the character you like to play as is actually good, because the alternative blows.

Let's all enjoy the terribleness of game & watch.

n.b. I'm really bad at the game so it's not like his badness is even relevant at my level of play.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

messagemode1 posted:

Let's all enjoy the terribleness of game & watch.

n.b. I'm really bad at the game so it's not like his badness is even relevant at my level of play.

Are you me? Because this is me in Smash all the time (with both G&W and Duck Hunt).

I guess part of why I'm bad is 'cause I actually like playing with items on low (tough it is super fun to kill my pro friends with a nine or by detonating bombs away from the battle with the can :unsmigghh:)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't know why this Sheik didn't take the opportunity to flat out murder me, but hey, I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0wSCx2y5Tg

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So I have a Wii, and a Mii profile on a friend's system linked to a save on Hyrule Warriors.

If I get a Wii U, will I have problems moving the Wii's profile over first and then getting the Hyrule Warriors save from my friend's Wii U?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Keiya posted:

how do people say this with a straight face

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I only play the worst characters in games so I can be smug even if I lose.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I only play Duck Hunt because they're the best

Peach and ZSS and DDD are also good

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

PJOmega posted:

So I have a Wii, and a Mii profile on a friend's system linked to a save on Hyrule Warriors.

If I get a Wii U, will I have problems moving the Wii's profile over first and then getting the Hyrule Warriors save from my friend's Wii U?

As far as I know the only way to transfer a save to a different system is a full system transfer

Not sure about profiles or Miis, but I'd assume the same

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Okay so something I've thought about a little; who do you think are the bigest assholes in smash bros? what i mean by this is that every time I'm online and see someone playing as black Sheik, black ZSS or Emo Link I kinda have to roll my eyes. These guys typically always play with the one combo they know and try to force you into it and I can't help but think they consider themselves awesome smash players. I dunno, to me there's just something extra douchey about playing as the most superserious characters in superserious costumes.

Though really if you play as Dark Toon Link you're the biggest rear end in a top hat because you're missing the real magic of playing as Toon Link.

Conversely on the rare occasion I see a Jigglypuff player I know I'm about to get my rear end kicked

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Diddy's the biggest rear end in my eyes.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Calico Heart posted:

Okay so something I've thought about a little; who do you think are the bigest assholes in smash bros? what i mean by this is that every time I'm online and see someone playing as black Sheik, black ZSS or Emo Link I kinda have to roll my eyes. These guys typically always play with the one combo they know and try to force you into it and I can't help but think they consider themselves awesome smash players. I dunno, to me there's just something extra douchey about playing as the most superserious characters in superserious costumes.

Though really if you play as Dark Toon Link you're the biggest rear end in a top hat because you're missing the real magic of playing as Toon Link.

Conversely on the rare occasion I see a Jigglypuff player I know I'm about to get my rear end kicked

The only character I absolutely dislike fighting is Little Mac, but if I play him once in For Glory and that player stays I just counterpick as Lucario because that player's not going to stop using Mac.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Calico Heart posted:

Every Sonic player is a jerk.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FireWorksWell posted:

The only character I absolutely dislike fighting is Little Mac, but if I play him once in For Glory and that player stays I just counterpick as Lucario because that player's not going to stop using Mac.

You sound like a fun person to play video games with.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

You sound like a fun person to play video games with.

What's wrong with disliking Little Mac?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's more of the fact you have enough apprehension for some dude playing his main that you're going to counterpick out of spite rather than wanting to win.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

It's more of the fact you have enough apprehension for some dude playing his main that you're going to counterpick out of spite rather than wanting to win.

I usually just try to enjoy the game, I don't really care if I lose a match but after fighting constant streams of Macs it gets old after a while. I used to enjoy playing Pokemon online, but eventually I just started seeing the same teams over and over. It'd be like Melee having an online component, where you'd see a high amount of Falcos and Shieks. I know this doesn't really justify my dislike for Mac but the whole situation's just gotten annoying. Is Wii U's For Glory mode more diverse when it comes to opponents?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

I usually just try to enjoy the game, I don't really care if I lose a match but after fighting constant streams of Macs it gets old after a while. I used to enjoy playing Pokemon online, but eventually I just started seeing the same teams over and over. It'd be like Melee having an online component, where you'd see a high amount of Falcos and Shieks. I know this doesn't really justify my dislike for Mac but the whole situation's just gotten annoying. Is Wii U's For Glory mode more diverse when it comes to opponents?

I see Little Macs about 20% of the time? There's a decent variety, I feel like.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I fought a Luigi yesterday, so I guess a little? There's still a lot of Rosalinkmac, but other characters seem to show up with pretty good frequency.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't even think anyone still used Mac on Smash online besides people actually trying to play him because they like him since he's not really that great of a character to begin with. I have not seen that many Macs on the Wii U For Glory, no. If you are annoyed with someone staying and them playing the same character, close the room and reopen it so you get a new opponent. If it bugs you that much that someone is sticking to their main because they like that character, why don't you just stop playing that person?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Does the Wii U Pro controller serve as a decent alternative to the GameCube controller? I'm getting this for Xmas and while I'm no Smash Bros Expert, I've played Melee/Brawl enough that I know I definitely couldn't use the Wii controller without getting annoyed. I'm in Canada though and it seems like Walmart is the only retailer getting restock of the adapter, though none in my area have inventory.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Cicadas! posted:

I fought a Luigi yesterday, so I guess a little? There's still a lot of Rosalinkmac, but other characters seem to show up with pretty good frequency.

Come to think of it, I've never seen Rosalina used online. I might just have really bad connection though.

But drat, I'm waiting for the day when I come across a Game and Watch or Duck Hunt that absolutely trashes me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Godinster posted:

Does the Wii U Pro controller serve as a decent alternative to the GameCube controller? I'm getting this for Xmas and while I'm no Smash Bros Expert, I've played Melee/Brawl enough that I know I definitely couldn't use the Wii controller without getting annoyed. I'm in Canada though and it seems like Walmart is the only retailer getting restock of the adapter, though none in my area have inventory.

I love the Wii U Pro controller so much. It lasts forever and Smash just feels so good with it. I like it way more than the GameCube controller, even.

FireWorksWell posted:

Come to think of it, I've never seen Rosalina used online. I might just have really bad connection though.

But drat, I'm waiting for the day when I come across a Game and Watch or Duck Hunt that absolutely trashes me.

I just saw a Rosalina this morning! I've seen a few others before too. I've also seen some really good Duck Hunts online too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

I love the Wii U Pro controller so much. It lasts forever and Smash just feels so good with it. I like it way more than the GameCube controller, even.

I just saw a Rosalina this morning! I've seen a few others before too. I've also seen some really good Duck Hunts online too.

I can see Duck Hunt's potential for setting up traps, and that's the kind of character that I really love playing against. By the way, is the Pro controller worth the $50?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you're buying more than one, probably not. I got mine on clearance, so I'd try to hold out for a sale if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I have actually seen quite a bit of diversity online. The most-used pool is probably as big as around 15 characters? I'm honestly having trouble naming who I see most. Probably either Ike of Captain Falcon? Moreso Cap. Both of those I have to admit I kinda consider "thinks they are great at smash" characters, especially Cap. If you've fought one Cap, you've fought them all.

Oh, and I've never seen a Zelda or Meta Knight

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread