Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Pomp posted:

A-a-aren't those brothers

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Chaltab posted:

"Batshit loving crazy" already covers that. Calling it 'heterophobia' equates it with homophobia as a societal force, which... no.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to push the idea that there was a societal 'heterophobia' or like analyze tumblr fandoms, just that when they say 'Heteophobia', they are probably referencing those 'batshit loving crazy' people

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pomp posted:

A-a-aren't those brothers
A Song of Ice and Fire broke ground on incestuous siblings, now it's ok for fandoms to ship incestuous gay siblings

This is what the evangelicals were talking about when they mention slippery slopes, next it'll be incestuous threesomes and pet-shipping

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

JT Jag posted:

A Song of Ice and Fire broke ground on incestuous siblings, now it's ok for fandoms to ship incestuous gay siblings

This is what the evangelicals were talking about when they mention slippery slopes, next it'll be incestuous threesomes.

'Wincest' has been around way before Game of Thrones existed.

Wincest existed after the first episode of Supernatural.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

(bi flag)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Trap... sprung?

Honestly it's too late for all of us.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Bringing all this tumblr stuff here and arguing about it seems like a great way to get this thread closed before Jan 1. or whenever it's supposed to be euthanized.

Akumos posted:

(bi flag)

holy poo poo

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Unironically, the one thing that will ensure Prince Wu's new world order will come to pass is the threat that Korra will come and break someone's arm if they make trouble.

I mean, it's more or less the same logic that allowed Aang to form the United Republic in the first place. For all the talk about the Avatar being mediators of balance or whatever, the fact is that their overwhelming power is -- at the end of the day and two whole series -- the most important factor to them keeping the peace.

Chaltab posted:

I know it's the holidays but even Christmas miracles have their limits.
I'm pretty sure the universe used up its store of spirit energy to ensure that this show had a good finale. It's all downhill from here.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sraydCL6c

I need to splice the audio to this to the Korra ending

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Internet Responds to the Korra Finale

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Akumos posted:

(bi flag)

Blue and pink is a common as hell common color scheme, I'm not totally dismissing it but I'm not really seeing it either.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Asami's dress is really more red than pink anyway to be honest.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Sharmat posted:

they're talking about the sky

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The Sharmat posted:

it's the blue platform, purple water, and pink mountain tops.

I kind of see it but it's uh...eh? I don't know for sure if it's really intended.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Nauro x Hinata

Asami x Korra

Good loving year for trolling idiots and hope for next year too

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
All those moments.
All that hugging.
Gone.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

they're talking about the sky

Oh. I feel dumb.

Still think it's a stretch.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

How far we've come.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You cannot convince me Kuriva isn't going to end up the elected president of the democracy formally known as the Earth Kingdom.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Elected from prison like Marion Barry?

Honestly, if Kuvira would mellow the gently caress out she'd actually be a really good leader.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Stallion Cabana posted:

it's the blue platform, purple water, and pink mountain tops.

I kind of see it but it's uh...eh? I don't know for sure if it's really intended.

I see it just in the mountains.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Real talk I did like the "Meelo's farts save the day" fakeout.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Classtoise posted:

What you mean when he caught Tenzin falling to his death?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Classtoise posted:

Yeah for sure. A good example of maturing character development that the rest of the book had going on.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Honestly, if Kuvira would mellow the gently caress out she'd actually be a really good leader.

Kuriva is my waifu and I would elect her adorable face-spot and mannish jaw even if she was in prison.

I mean, she's being imprisoned in republic city, but the whole earth empire is still under her army's heel, with the run of propaganda she was doing and the whole 'great uniter' schtick they'd probably wind up strong arming president Reico (Reicho?) into giving her back.

Even if it is just 'as a show of good faith haha please don't kill us with your superior army'

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Oh. I feel dumb.

Still think it's a stretch.

I dunno, the mountains both just happen to match the bi flags colors exactly. Look at how they're layered in the same color scheme.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah. Kuvira had good intentions, she basically revealed that she just wanted to make her nation strong and not vulnerable, but she went about it like an insane dictator. If she chilled the gently caress out and realized that sometimes negotiation and frank discussions are better than giant robot death rays she'd be a good leader.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

It's not the best screenshot quality but the lines of the mountains match up exactly with the colors of the bi flag. Chances of that not being intentional seem slim given the ending.. I totally buy it now.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Found a higher quality pic of the mountain.. yeah, I doubt that's a random color scheme.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
What with all this Korrasami chat people are forgetting great moments like Zhu Li's look when she immediately realises she's going to be the ostrich-horse in Varrick's story.

Also when Korra yells at Kuvira to shut down the spirit gun, for a moment I thought her response was to ramp up the power level. Because really that would be a pretty Kuvira type of response.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Felix_Cat posted:

Also when Korra yells at Kuvira to shut down the spirit gun, for a moment I thought her response was to ramp up the power level. Because really that would be a pretty Kuvira type of response.
I disagree. The one thing she always is throughout the story is *in control*. Even when she's firing a death ray at her future husband, she maintains her composure. An out-of-control gun firing at random really isn't her style.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We're really at the dawning of a new age, because from now on you really can't be absolutely certain anymore that people are just seeing things that aren't meant to be there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stallion Cabana posted:

'Wincest' has been around way before Game of Thrones existed.

Wincest existed after the first episode of Supernatural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wz2KWCixtE

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Felix_Cat posted:

What with all this Korrasami chat people are forgetting great moments like Zhu Li's look when she immediately realises she's going to be the ostrich-horse in Varrick's story.

I liked the part where she turned around in the sunlight and had additional framerate for her hair so we could get a free scene of Varrick being gobsmacked.

Also I'm not really surprised on how the Kuvira plot ended based on how poorly thought through her plans were that she would change her mind about things after spending like 5 minutes in the spirit world with Therapist Korra.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Eej posted:

I liked the part where she turned around in the sunlight and had additional framerate for her hair so we could get a free scene of Varrick being gobsmacked.

Also I'm not really surprised on how the Kuvira plot ended based on how poorly thought through her plans were that she would change her mind about things after spending like 5 minutes in the spirit world with Therapist Korra.

The answer is time dilation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BrianWilly posted:

We're really at the dawning of a new age, because from now on you really can't be absolutely certain anymore that people are just seeing things that aren't meant to be there.

A new... SPIRITUAL age?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh geez.

I get it now!

Who was the one who put Wu into place and positioned to get him into the leadership of the Earth kingdom? Raiko. Who would be in the best position to be elected president when the United States of the Earth Nation start voting? Raiko!

He must've known that Wu, being a lazy good-for-nothing playboy prince, would end up abdicating to an elected leader. Therefore, this entire sequence of events was a calculated plan by Raiko to maneuver himself into being President of the largest country in the world! He really is the Frank Underwood of the Avatar World!! :tinfoil:

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

You cannot convince me Kuriva isn't going to end up the elected president of the democracy formally known as the Earth Kingdom.
Wu stated his intent was to dismantle and balkanize the Earth Nation into squabbling and easily corruptible republics. Presumably this suits the desires of the major powers, who have grown used to getting their ores, and now have a chance to get it for cheap. The perfect (and original) beachhead for Fire Nation invasion remains under the control of hostile forces. The tribal vassals of the Avatar have full encirclement and full penetration through oceans and waterways. The cult of the monastic ascetics crosses our territory without hindrance, regulation, or accountability. This is the end for the Earth Nation people; we will be slaves of the foreigners for generations. They will grind us into dust and bleed us dry for iron. And they will trumpet our purported villainy to silence our screams.

Of course, the next avatar will be born into the Earth Nation. Let the masses shake the earth, and let the mighty tremble.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

All those moments.
All that hugging.
Gone.

Like arms in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I really disliked it when people kept insisting Frodo and Sam were totally gay because they hugged and Sam held Frodo's hand in the healing house place, after their adventure was over. Because that was a touching, sweet moment between two friends who had been through an unbearable hell together.

But Frodo and Sam went home with their friends. Sam married and Frodo left with Bilbo. poo poo was emotional all around.

Korra and Asami decided to ditch Bolin and Mako once the adventure was over which is an absolute dick of a thing to do to your friends...

... unless your vacation has nothing to do with friendship. So, yeah, that was probably a romantic thing. Probably could have been built up better, but after Mako/Korra they probably realized a significantly more subtle touch was the only actual way to handle it without making everyone gag at the thought, because teenage romance drama is boring and cringeworthy.

I just wish everywhere I went to see people talk about the finale was more than ":sparkles: Korrasami! :sparkles:" because holy poo poo other things happened in those 44 minutes. :stare:

• Locked thread