Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress the users, as I always say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I_Like_Me posted:

Nintendo throws one out there.

Haha holy poo poo that's golden

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

noirstronaut posted:

Probably not because those dudes are waiting to kill Toadette

Nooooooooo. They all look so chill. How could a day at a pool turn deadly anyway???

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
For the record, the games on other systems:

Xbox One:
None

PS4:
The Last of Us Remastered
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

PS Vita:
Persona 4 Golden
Rayman Origins
Machinarium
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
Rayman Legends
Tearaway
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
(Also Hotline Miami and Terraria, but they're basically Steam ports)

So if anyone tries to claim that OOT3D/Bayo1/WWHD don't count because they're remakes tell them that cutting out remakes drops the other side to 4. Also I don't think they counted Rayman Legeds for Vita, since it's on both, but technically it's available there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Piece of poo poo reviewers ruining captain toads chances of being on that list :argh:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Why are Prelude to Episode 1, 2, and 3 in the Bonus book? That is not cute at all. It is silly but not cute.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

GAME UK and Nintendo UK's online store are selling [Captain Toad] early (December 22), I dunno what's happening elsewhere.

I just looked it up on the online store and it still says January 2nd. Dammit I got my hopes up :negative:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

amazon has captain toad back in stock btw

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Guys, something weird is going on on the Aussie Club Nintendo for Christmas.

The items are d-

They're dis-

...they're discounted :stare:. 20% off of everything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Awesome! posted:

amazon has captain toad back in stock btw

I have $75 in rewards credit from my Amazon card.

Should... Should I do it? I've already got like 10 games ready to play on Christmas morning, I feel like I should space them out a bit... :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

raditts posted:

I have $75 in rewards credit from my Amazon card.

Should... Should I do it? I've already got like 10 games ready to play on Christmas morning, I feel like I should space them out a bit... :ohdear:

If you don't wanna do it for yourself, you can buy it for me because I probably want it more.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Toad gets really hard in the third book. The first level killed me a few times. This game is starting to get uncute.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wait, the spiked boulder flung Captain Toad across to the next platform. This game is back to being cute.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Suaimhneas posted:

I just looked it up on the online store and it still says January 2nd. Dammit I got my hopes up :negative:

A lot of retailers (GAME, Tesco, Shopto, Argus, etc) seem to be selling the game as of now, online and in-store.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The thing is I asked my family to get me eshop credit for christmas and was going to use it to buy Captain Toad, so if it turns out that it's available early from everywhere except Nintendo themselves then I'll be somewhat upset.

Although I guess I can still use the credit for Splatoon later

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could just sell the cards for a dollar below retail and then buy the game at some retailer.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I_Like_Me posted:

Don't forget cross compatability with the entire Wii and DS library and all the virtual console titles.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Did they recently add a visual filter for the SNES Virtual Console games? I know the NES ones always had a "retro" filter that made them look a little blurry and dim, but I thought the SNES games were still bright and sharp. But I'm playing Kirby Super Star now and it looks very dim when I'm playing it, but if I touch the screen to make a restore point the thumbnail looks bright and sharp. Very strange and frustrating.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Spectacle Rock posted:

*System update allows us to use the Youtube Channel without having to have the Wii U Gamepad (it won't even launch without it being turned on)

you're a lucky bastard who never had to use the steaming pile that was the launch youtube app

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

mancalamania posted:

Did they recently add a visual filter for the SNES Virtual Console games? I know the NES ones always had a "retro" filter that made them look a little blurry and dim, but I thought the SNES games were still bright and sharp. But I'm playing Kirby Super Star now and it looks very dim when I'm playing it, but if I touch the screen to make a restore point the thumbnail looks bright and sharp. Very strange and frustrating.

I had the exact same thought when I started playing it around a half hour ago.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

NES games don't have a "retro" filter applied, they're just scaled ineptly. Straight bilinear scale from 240 to 1080, which causes pixel edges to blur.

SNES games still look fine for me.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

NES games don't have a "retro" filter applied, they're just scaled ineptly. Straight bilinear scale from 240 to 1080, which causes pixel edges to blur.

SNES games still look fine for me.

The retro filter on the NES games has nothing to do with the pixel edges. The colors are several shades darker than they should be and Nintendo said that they did it deliberately to look more like CRT tech.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Time to ask a question that's been asked a billion times before: what's that external drive that everyone recommends? And if someone links it, can you put it in the OP, Ultigonio?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

couldnt they have just put a scanlines option like most retro pc indies

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

liquidypoo posted:

Time to ask a question that's been asked a billion times before: what's that external drive that everyone recommends? And if someone links it, can you put it in the OP, Ultigonio?

Any Western Digital that is externally powered.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Fremry posted:

The retro filter on the NES games has nothing to do with the pixel edges. The colors are several shades darker than they should be and Nintendo said that they did it deliberately to look more like CRT tech.

When did Nintendo ever say this? This is the first I'm hearing of it being intentional, and it doesn't explain why they didn't do the same for SNES games.

Also, the blurring actually contributes to the sense of dimness. When white text on a black background is made blurrier, for example, you get grey blended pixels that affect the sense of contrast. Colours "pop" less all around because of it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

liquidypoo posted:

Time to ask a question that's been asked a billion times before: what's that external drive that everyone recommends?
Specific Seagate drives also work. Mine is a Seagate 2 terabyte, if I'm not mistaken.

quote:

And if someone links it, can you put it in the OP, Ultigonio?
e; Done.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 20, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Austrian mook posted:

Don't forget cross compatability with the entire Wii and DS library and all the virtual console titles.

I'm pretty sure it's only 2014 releases, and it's explicitly about Current Generation consoles, so counting cross compatibility from the last generation and ports of games from upwards of 20 years ago would definitely be cheating.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

Specific Seagate drives also work. Mine is a Seagate 2 terabyte, if I'm not mistaken.
e; Done.

Second this, I have the 1TB STBV1000100 and it works fine.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I have a 2 terabyte externally powered Seagate but I have been told several times that this is overkill. :shrug:

edit: 2 tb Seagate bros 4 lyfe

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure it's only 2014 releases, and it's explicitly about Current Generation consoles, so counting cross compatibility from the last generation and ports of games from upwards of 20 years ago would definitely be cheating.

I just meant as far as the WiiU having more worthwhile games, since neither the XBox or PS4 can do backwards compatibility

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Thanks for the help, guys. I couldn't find any externally powered WDs, but the 1tb Seagate costs as much as the 500gb WDs I was looking at, so I'm all over that. Got it in my Amazon wish list for future reference now. :c00l:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
One more quick question for you guys, do the wii u pro controllers come with a bit of a charge on them? I'm assuming they do, but if not I might open those up and charge em before Christmas morning so everyone can smash it up :getin:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DoctaFun posted:

One more quick question for you guys, do the wii u pro controllers come with a bit of a charge on them? I'm assuming they do, but if not I might open those up and charge em before Christmas morning so everyone can smash it up :getin:

Mine came with like 2 bars out of 4, I think. You can just plug them into any USB port to charge though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DoctaFun posted:

They're the longest lasting controllers this generation, no joke. It should definitely have some juice.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The second one I bought had probably been sitting in some stockroom for months on end because it had no charge to it at all, but once they're juiced up they last forever.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I_Like_Me posted:

Impressive, to say the least, but having the gall to call X and Y two seperate games is pretty sassy.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Metacritic does and that's their criteria.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I got my new wii-u and it thankfully is running super great. The paranoia is in me though about those claims of smash bricking newer consoles. Did anyone find out what the actual problem was or is that still unknown as the last I heard was "it certainly isn't smash alone doing it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I got my new wii-u and it thankfully is running super great. The paranoia is in me though about those claims of smash bricking newer consoles. Did anyone find out what the actual problem was or is that still unknown as the last I heard was "it certainly isn't smash alone doing it."

there's a bug in the updating process that can brick already defective products. smash was only causing it in the sense that a lot of people bought wiius for smash and were updating for the first time

• Locked thread