Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
jms' writing is really inconsistent, and it's not just a problem for b5

his comics are also wildly variable. he made it so gwen stacy and norman osborne had two kids lol. thank god that's been ignored

on the other hand supreme power was brilliant until marvel cancelled it, first replacing it with the inferior squadron supreme, written with more editorial oversight, then squashed completely and rolled into the main universe, and the first 1/3 of rising stars was really good, and overall the series was still pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

was steven moffet part of the mofference

Robert Moffat was, he helped Jabba the Hutt make a fortune in insider trading.

Captain Candiru posted:

And then Crusade introduced Galen or whoever and he was the living embodiment of JMS's sometimes really cringeworthy writing.

Galen was in several B5 episodes in him too and then there was that River of Souls movie that was largely about him and Lochley and the soul hunters and unsurprisingly it's nearly unwatchable.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 19, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I actually like the 70s Battlestar Galatica better than the new one because it's a cheesy shameless Star Wars ripoff. I mean it even practically uses the same font for Christsakes. The Cylons have cool robot voices and red monoeyes and the actual robotic cylons only show up occasionally in the new one. Big clunky toasters are always cooler than skinjobs.

The new Battlestar wasn't bad, but it's so serious and I just got kinda bored.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neurosis posted:

jms' writing is really inconsistent, and it's not just a problem for b5

his comics are also wildly variable. he made it so gwen stacy and norman osborne had two kids lol. thank god that's been ignored

on the other hand supreme power was brilliant until marvel cancelled it, first replacing it with the inferior squadron supreme, written with more editorial oversight, then squashed completely and rolled into the main universe, and the first 1/3 of rising stars was really good, and overall the series was still pretty cool

Marvel didn't cancel it, he quit because he wanted to write movies and Marvel tried to retool the series by not doing stuff with JMS' characters but nobody liked it and that one they canceled. Recently there was a bunch of panels about universes being destroyed and they specifically did one for that one.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

Marvel didn't cancel it, he quit because he wanted to write movies and Marvel tried to retool the series by not doing stuff with JMS' characters but nobody liked it and that one they canceled. Recently there was a bunch of panels about universes being destroyed and they specifically did one for that one.

oh okay.

that's kind of gay because supreme power really owned

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

I actually like the 70s Battlestar Galatica better than the new one because it's a cheesy shameless Star Wars ripoff. I mean it even practically uses the same font for Christsakes. The Cylons have cool robot voices and red monoeyes and the actual robotic cylons only show up occasionally in the new one. Big clunky toasters are always cooler than skinjobs.

The new Battlestar wasn't bad, but it's so serious and I just got kinda bored.

I couldn't even get through the first episode. There was the almost complete extinction of the human race played serious as gently caress :stare:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
is there a battlestar galactica EU?

is it bad?

(trick question all EU is bad)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

is there a battlestar galactica EU?

is it bad?

(trick question all EU is bad)

The expression goes, "there is always more, and it is always worse."

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

The dumbest EU moment was when they made the Wampa (the Yeti-looking thing) that got his hand cut of by Luke Skywalker, to be force-sensitive. Then, this Wampa, fuelled by his eternal rage, vowed on a quest of vengeance to destroy Luke Skywalker. His pure Dark-Side hatred caught the attention of Darth D'ooki, who took on this Wampa as his apprentice, and named him Darth One-Hand. And his missing hand got replaced by a lightsaber chainsaw.

That was pretty dumb.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The dumbest EU moment was when they made the Wampa (the Yeti-looking thing) that got his hand cut of by Luke Skywalker, to be force-sensitive. Then, this Wampa, fuelled by his eternal rage, vowed on a quest of vengeance to destroy Luke Skywalker. His pure Dark-Side hatred caught the attention of Darth D'ooki, who took on this Wampa as his apprentice, and named him Darth One-Hand. And his missing hand got replaced by a lightsaber chainsaw.

That was pretty dumb.

Look at this scrub trying to make up ridiculous EU stories and forgetting that there is always a deeper rabbit hole: Of course there's a Sith wampa.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
you had me until lightsaber chainsaw hand.

yes i could believe darth dookie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

darkwasthenight posted:

Look at this scrub trying to make up ridiculous EU stories and forgetting that there is always a deeper rabbit hole: Of course there's a Sith wampa.

did ku-kak have a family? was there a ku-kak clan?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Happy Bear Suit posted:

That was pretty dumb.

While you're joking, there is an EU story where Luke has to return to Hoth years later for some reason and meets up with that very same wampa, who both remembers him and seeks revenge :angel:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

While you're joking, there is an EU story where Luke has to return to Hoth years later for some reason and meets up with that very same wampa, who both remembers him and seeks revenge :angel:

There's a weird interlude in one of the books (I think this is what you're talking about) where he gets stuck on Hoth with some disposable characters and they proceed to have a survival horror bit, since it turns out there are dozens of wampas on Hoth (surviving on what existing ecology in an endless tundra we'll never know) and the original one-armed wampa has organized them to kill anyone they find in the abandoned rebel base. Luke has to FINISH THE JOB

Edit: There's also a Battlefront II level where you can play wampas vs. rebels and the rebels have no chance of victory

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Why would you go back to Hoth? There is absolutely nothing there, it was a useless uninhabited planet which is the entire reason the rebels picked it for their base and that base was evacuated- oh, of course, it was in the movies. Naturally it's an extremely important planet.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

darkwasthenight posted:

quote:

Phylus Mon trained Ku-Kak in Chevin, so that the Wampa could not be affected by orders given in Basic. This made Ku-Kak immune even to mind-altering Force powers, except in the improbable case of a Chevin-fluent Force user

Yep, that's right. The force only works on someone as long as you speak the same language. That makes sense. Great job, EU.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elukka posted:

Why would you go back to Hoth? There is absolutely nothing there, it was a useless uninhabited planet which is the entire reason the rebels picked it for their base and that base was evacuated- oh, of course, it was in the movies. Naturally it's an extremely important planet.

At least they are only at Hoth once during the movies. If you want to talk about "Important" useless planets look no further than Tatoonie. Vadar should have glassed the planet when he had the chance. gently caress that sandy hell hole.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

door Door door posted:

Yep, that's right. The force only works on someone as long as you speak the same language. That makes sense. Great job, EU.

lol EU is the best.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

darkwasthenight posted:

Haha it's so cute, the little things they come up with to give the concept of the Force simple, lovely gimmicks. 'Lol he never learned 'basic' so his mind can't be jedi tricked,' or 'lol there's a lizard that makes a no-force bubble I CALLED IT NO TAKEBACKS INFINITY'. It's not magic, it's Calvinball for towering spergfernos with power fantasies.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

5er posted:

Haha it's so cute, the little things they come up with to give the concept of the Force simple, lovely gimmicks. 'Lol he never learned 'basic' so his mind can't be jedi tricked,' or 'lol there's a lizard that makes a no-force bubble I CALLED IT NO TAKEBACKS INFINITY'. It's not magic, it's Calvinball for towering spergfernos with power fantasies.

which just makes the squabbling over that god drat lightsaber in the new trailer even sillier

the eu has a long, proud history of just making poo poo up to justify whatever "cool" thing the author wants to jam into the story.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

shiksa posted:

which just makes the squabbling over that god drat lightsaber in the new trailer even sillier

the eu has a long, proud history of just making poo poo up to justify whatever "cool" thing the author wants to jam into the story.

that's why the yangtze dong were the worst thing in the EU ever. because they were peak making poo poo the gently caress up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shiksa posted:

That's actually why the lightsaber is stupid it's a total EU kinda thing.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Acne Rain posted:

did ku-kak have a family? was there a ku-kak clan?

:golfclap:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

door Door door posted:

This is from an RPG, so in general the character exists to appear momentarily and then get killed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

A sword made out of laser is inherently stupid and getting specifically offended by it having a crossguard also made of laser is the most Star Wars neckbeard of things

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 20, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah it's already "cool" enough as it is and like I said it's EU to start adding poo poo to make it "cooler". Hell one of the EU trademarks is increasingly stupid lightsaber type weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aRtupiY9Dw

lol neckbeard holy poo poo you're dumb

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Except that's not why any of this poo poo is dumb, it's dumb because it's a huge incestuous mess of poo poo that isn't cool at all. The drug dealer guy being from the Planet Of The Drug Dealers and the bounty hunter guy falling into the death orifice over and over and over again aren't cool, they're a five-year-old overthinking how an action scene works. Nobody normal objects to the style-over-substance space magic movie trying to look cool, that's the domain of guys who think the real core of the movies is whether the Star Destroyer could kick the Enterprise's rear end (yes, IMO).

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 20, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i have a dream that one day all gooons will be mandalorian cis sith lords with their own super star destroyer and legion upon legion of stormtroopers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Nobody normal objects to the style-over-substance space magic movie trying to look cool

A lot of the issues with the prequels are directly related to this, tho.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://a.pomf.se/lwepov.webm

I wonder if this Wampa was a Jedi too.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Groovelord Neato posted:

A lot of the issues with the prequels are directly related to this, tho.

if you discount the literally retarded scripts sure

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Is Spaceballs in the EU? Because 80% of that was pretty lovely too.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Star Trek would defeat Star Wars because they are built on rationality and creative thinking, not the worship of naked power, you stupid goatherds

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(surviving on what existing ecology in an endless tundra we'll never know)

wampas > tauntauns > cave lichens, fungus, and small cave creatures

I know that because I had a Star Wars bestiary manual thing when I was a kid.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 20, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sorry, but the trailer lightsaber actually owns. hth

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
it's dumb. He could obviously hurt his thumb on the stupid thing. It's a lot dumber than Maul's two-bladed thing, which Ray Park made work because he's a great martial artist and athlete IRL, even though yes IRL that would be even dumber.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Harime Nui posted:

it's dumb. He could obviously hurt his thumb on the stupid thing. It's a lot dumber than Maul's two-bladed thing, which Ray Park made work because he's a great martial artist and athlete IRL, even though yes IRL that would be even dumber.

If you can look past how dumb it is to use a strangely balanced, nearly weightless, omnidirectional blade that cuts through almost everything instantly, then it shouldn't be that hard to accept that he won't cut his hand off wielding it. Besides, there are shrouds on the cross guard to keep his hands out if it. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It can only cut through everything in the EU (prequels count as EU). Oh no I lied there's that special metal in the EU. But in the original movies metal and poo poo stops it and Luke at one point doesn't just cut through Vader's body when he hits him.

The "but it'd cut off his hands or body" for the new lightsaber is a dumb complaint - the thing just looks stupid is all.

shiksa posted:

if you discount the literally retarded scripts sure

I said a lot, not all. Hell they're even tied together since Lucas thought a bunch of fanservice and stupidly long silly fights for no reason were more important than emotion and character development.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

It can only cut through everything in the EU (prequels count as EU). Oh no I lied there's that special metal in the EU. But in the original movies metal and poo poo stops it and Luke at one point doesn't just cut through Vader's body when he hits him.

yup. i think i mentioned that in this thread at some point. it's really pretty weird just how much stuff comes from the EU. but yeah, luke slashes vader's arm pretty directly in ESB, sending sparks flying everywhere, and vader just kind of growls about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I remember once I was in a bookshop and just flipped open a Star wars book and there was a line that read something like "And then (name) Solo sho lightning from his fingertips and sent Tanal'Ka's grandmother into a coma".

And like yeah that wasn't exactly how it was written and I'm probably getting the name wrong but i remember that in one loving sentence some dude shot lightning from his fingertips and sent some grandma into a coma.

I also remember the Revenge of the Sith book had a line that read "his words stung more than the lava" when anakin became darth v

• Locked thread