Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can understand being annoyed about this one thing that is a problem. But no, you're wrong. The DS2 PC port is in no way, shape, or form worse or even as close to as bad as what they did with DS1.

It's not even a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can understand being annoyed about this one thing that is a problem. But no, you're wrong. The DS2 PC port is in no way, shape, or form worse or even as close to as bad as what they did with DS1.

It's not even a big deal.
This is pretty much spot on. Now the steam description "port" however is where DS1 had DS2 beat by miles.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I really hope not, I've been pretty disappointed with FROM's maintenance of the PC release, especially since talking it up so much pre-release. I think DS2 has a worse PC release than the first game. Didn't one of the thread regulars make up a Cheat Engine script that fixed that bug in like 20 lines of code? It just seems like a fairly major oversight that is also relatively easy to correct, the fact that they still haven't done so in the current release is frustrating :(

You're an idiot. Not only is it better, but it's one of the best PC ports period. It runs so ridiculously well for how good it looks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I don't agree with Genocyber often but I definitely feel like they knocked it out of the park with the DS2 PC release. They more than delivered on their promises of making it better than the DS1 port and there are so many universal improvements from a technological standpoint that I couldn't even call it disappointing if I tired. Now, the quality of the actual game itself is a different matter entirely, but the port was definitely beyond my expectations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I don't even know how you can legitimately suggest that the DS1 port was better than the DS2 port.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takes No Damage posted:

I really hope not, I've been pretty disappointed with FROM's maintenance of the PC release, especially since talking it up so much pre-release. I think DS2 has a worse PC release than the first game. Didn't one of the thread regulars make up a Cheat Engine script that fixed that bug in like 20 lines of code? It just seems like a fairly major oversight that is also relatively easy to correct, the fact that they still haven't done so in the current release is frustrating :(

I'm going to call your helper now, she has your helmet and toast.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This minor issue is literally worse than not having resolution options or mouse support. Or having GFWL

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I just killed the Pursuer on that platform, before you're supposed to fight him proper. Is his equipment any good or should I just burn his soul?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Depending on who you ask, his greatsword is as good/inferior/better than the Greatsword, but his shield is straight up inferior (IIRC) to the Dragonrider Shield if you're going for greatshields.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always eat his soul, personally. The Ring of Blades is the real prize for killing him. His greatsword is a good weapon if you're into ultra greatswords but you have plenty of other options.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ 㤠◕_◕ ༽ã¤
I'm about to start my second run through and I'm thinking I'd like to play a sunbro light tank of sorts. Are small shields actually useful for blocking if you aren't also wearing heavy armor?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Gologle posted:

Depending on who you ask, his greatsword is as good/inferior/better than the Greatsword, but his shield is straight up inferior (IIRC) to the Dragonrider Shield if you're going for greatshields.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I always eat his soul, personally. The Ring of Blades is the real prize for killing him. His greatsword is a good weapon if you're into ultra greatswords but you have plenty of other options.

Noted, but I'll hold off on eating it until I absolutely need souls for something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Portland Sucks posted:

I'm about to start my second run through and I'm thinking I'd like to play a sunbro light tank of sorts. Are small shields actually useful for blocking if you aren't also wearing heavy armor?

Armor has nothing to do with blocking. Some small shields are good for blocking smaller attacks in PVE, but you're better off going with a lighter medium shield like Royal Kite or Drangleic.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ 㤠◕_◕ ༽ã¤

Genocyber posted:

Armor has nothing to do with blocking. Some small shields are good for blocking smaller attacks in PVE, but you're better off going with a lighter medium shield like Royal Kite or Drangleic.

Is there a stat that increases the effectiveness of shield blocks - is that the gist of poise? I'd like to be able to wear minimal armor be able to tank a hit or two with shield and still be quick enough to roll. Is this a pipe dream?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Portland Sucks posted:

Is there a stat that increases the effectiveness of shield blocks - is that the gist of poise? I'd like to be able to wear minimal armor be able to tank a hit or two with shield and still be quick enough to roll. Is this a pipe dream?

If you're wearing light/minimal armor then you can possibly even use a great shield. A lighter medium shield like Royal Kite or Drangleic will definitely be doable. And be sure to upgrade the shield for more stability, of course. The Baneful Bird Ring from the iron king DLC also adds 5 stability.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Portland Sucks posted:

The stat that does this is endurance. When you get hit you take a certain amount of damage. If it hits your shield this gets reduced by a certain amount if it's a slash or a stab or a spell and a certain smaller reduction if it's a blunt attack. This damage then gets reduced by the stability of the shield. The damage left over gets taken out of your endurance. If it empties your bar you stagger. If if empties your bar by a lot you also take damage even though you blocked.

If you want a tanky shield guy have a lot of endurance and use a great shield. The Dragonrider Shield is great for this but my favorite is the Tower Shield from behind Ornstein because it's easy to upgrade and light (for a great shield) and has a low strength requirement (for a great shield). If you're a strength build then rock the Gyrm shield which is more stable than Hank Hill on Xanax and totally fireproof to boot.

You can do this if you wear really light armor (Tattered, Invisible Aurous, Northwarder) even without much investment in Vit. It's optimal for PVE until high levels anyway IMO.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Upgrade the shield you're using and increase your Endurance stat if you want to be better at blocking. Upgrading the shield increases how good it is at blocking, END increases your stamina straight up and when you can a hit on your shield it drains stamina. If you run out of stamina while blocking your guard will break and you'll be left vulnerable, which is a very bad thing.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

I was streaming for some friends earlier and something magical happened

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Holidae posted:

I was streaming for some friends earlier and something magical happened

I don't get it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm guessing it's the 420 -> 666 thing

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nahxela posted:

I'm guessing it's the 420 -> 666 thing

Haha, didn't even bother to look at the damage numbers. :downs: Yes, that is indeed amazing and you should go play the lottery.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Obviously Dark Souls is telling us that all potheads go to hell, it's all in the numbers, you can't argue math!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just got DSII in the steam deal, is there a writeup somewhere what's different between DSI and DSII?

edit: especially the controls differences, I haven't been able to do a jump attack yet.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 20, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

double nine posted:

I just got DSII in the steam deal, is there a writeup somewhere what's different between DSI and DSII?

edit: especially the controls differences, I haven't been able to do a jump attack yet.

Dodge frames are tied to Agility, weight and roll speed has NOTHING to do with I frames now. At the start, naked fast rolling has worse I frames than Fat rolling in DS1.

Agility itself is tied mostly to the new Adaptability stat, and less so from Attunement.

This was my major "What the gently caress wish I read an entire wiki first" early stumbling block.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

EDIT: vvv Number two was 'you have to wait for the enemy to fall on their rear end before you can do a canned parry wreckshit animation', yeah.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 20, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

If you've played DS1, you should know that the best experience is going in blind.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

double nine posted:

The controls are the same, although the timing is slightly different. Parrying in particular now has a windup and you actually need to make the animation connect instead of the parry-active frames being present from the start.

Things that I can think of off the top of my head:
1) You can run up ladders by holding B, and sliding is Down + B. Pressing B while on a ladder now just makes you drop off, so be careful.
2) Shields kinda suck now because barely any have 100% phys block, all shield types have had a huge stability drop, and parrying is different. Speaking of parrying, you have to wait for your enemy to become vulnerable (when they fall on the ground) instead of pressing R1 immediately.
3) Matchmaking is done off Soul Memory (total souls collected, shown at the top right of your status page) instead of Soul Level. This blows.
4) Dual-wielding is officially supported by the game (although you still can't do crits with your left-handed weapon). If you have 150% the stat requirements for two similar weapons and hold one in each hand, you can powerstance (shown by your character slightly shifting their left-handed weapon) by holding Y/Triangle. Then if you use L1/L2, you can use special combo attacks.
5) Speaking of holding Y/Triangle, you can do that to two-hand your left-handed item. Tap for right, Hold for left.
6) The Dark element exists now and is pretty drat good. Hexes are the associated magic school, and they operate off both FTH and INT (scales off whichever stat is lowest, so you have to level them equally). Hex scaling softcaps at 30/30 INT/FTH.
7) You can infuse pre-enchanted weapons (as in, weapons that come with elemental damage without an upgrade) to give them even more elemental damage, and you can use the appropriate elemental weapon buff (there exists a buff for every element: Magic Weapon and co., Flame Weapon, Sunlight Blade, and Dark/Resonant Weapon) to make your elemental damage skyrocket.
8) Physical defense is 12 points = -1 damage; Elemental defense = 10 points = -1% damage. You become immune to all elemental damage at 900 defense for that element, because for some reason you have 100 inherent, unlisted elemental defense for all types.
9) Spears, axes, and hammers are good now, and you can free-aim crossbows.
10) You can swap covenants at any time without penalty, and your rankings are logged with an NPC in Majula.
11) Instead of weight brackets determining roll type and invincibility, you now have a stat called Agility which is determined by your Adaptability and Attunement levels. Every 5 points in Agility gives you 1 extra invincibility frame while rolling (except at 110 inexplicably, while you get 2 at 115). Roll styles are now Light and Heavy (light = 70% weight or lower, heavy = 71% or higher) with roll distance being determined by weight within each style.
12) Poise does jack poo poo now.
13) Critical damage is unlisted again, and varies wildly by weapon. In general, stabbing/thrusting weapons like daggers, spears, and rapiers will do more damage than something like a straight sword or curved sword. Blunt or extremely large weapons also have pretty high critical damage.
14) No more whole invasion orbs. This really sucks.

This is all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure other people will think of things.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 20, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

double nine posted:

Endurance was split into two stats: Vitality and Endurance. Vitality raises your equip load, Endurance your Stamina. The new stat for HP is Vigor.

New magic type and elements and whatnot have gotten changed. Sorcery is boosted by Int as normal, as are magic weapons and they all do Magic damage. Miracles are boosted by Faith as normal, as are lightning weapons and they all do Lightning damage. Pyromancy isn't completely stat independent anymore, but most of its damage still comes from pyromancy hand level. Otherwise it's boosted by the average of your Int and Faith, as are fire weapons and they all do Fire damage. Hexes, the new magic type, is boosted by the lower of Faith or Int (So you'd want to have high stats in both,) as are dark weapons and they all do a new damage type, Dark damage.

Scaling has changed. Scaling is now a somewhat independent value from weapons, that weapons then derive an amount from your stat. Say you have, like, 30 Strength, which gives you 102 Strength Damage. A weapon with A scaling would get the full +102 damage, while a weapon with C scaling would get +51. These numbers aren't exact, mostly spitballed, but anyway you get the idea. Note to keep in mind - Strength scaling is inherently stronger than Dexterity scaling. Dexterity weapons have benefits that make up for this, don't worry, but Strength weapons do the most damage per swing and this is particularly emphasized in this game.

Three new weapon types: Lances, Reapers, Twinblades. Lances are much stronger but shorter spears, Reapers are weird halberds that actually make you step back when you attack with a full combo but have an inherent shield-piercing effect, and Twinblades are flippy and twirly and intended mostly for crowd control than solid damage.
You double your strength when two-handing now, rather than x1.5. 20 is 40, not 30.

You can dual-wield weapons! Equipping two of the same type means if you alternate between R1 and L1, you will attack slightly faster than if you just rammed R1 over and over again. More importantly though is if you have 1.5x the stat requirements for both weapons and the two are compatible, then you can enter a Power Stance. This gives you a similar flat damage multiplier to your right-hand weapon that two-handing one does, and applies a lower-but-still-nice bonus to your left-hand weapon. Additionally, your left moveset changes to attacks with both weapons. Compatible weapons are entire weapon types like daggers and straight swords or curved swords or rapiers, straight swords with all of those and with greatswords, axes, hammers, and katanas, greatswords with straight swords and curved greatswords, ultra greatswords with greatswords, greatswords, greataxes and greathammers. Stuff like that. There's tons of combinations. Only stuff like halberds and straight swords don't power stance, and each weapon type usually has its own power stance moveset as well, designated by the one in your right hand. It's probably the best new addition to the game.

The equip load breakpoints are <70% and <120%, but there's a sliding scale in place now as well so a 20% roll has less recovery frames than a 70% roll, and importantly your stamina regen starts to get tanked pretty hard when you have more than 50% or so equipped.

Agility is an important stat that's derived mostly from Adaptability and a little from Attunement because it determines the number of invincibility frames in your roll. Ideally you want like 105, because it gives you so many frames that it's better than the fast roll in the first game, but 100 is very solid (slightly less frames than the first game.)

Raising your shield takes longer and basically isn't an on/off switch for defending now.

Halberds can poke from behind shields now, as can Lances.

mdct fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 20, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Raising your shield takes longer and basically isn't an on/off switch for defending now.
This of all things tripped me up so hard on my first defensive exploring playthrough of 2 and going back to 1 it feels like you're cheating with a 100% phys res shield. You can't simply react to quick attacks mid-swing, you have to anticipate them. Of course you can still have the shield up constantly or just dodge-roll correctly.

Which reminds me, 2 allows diagonal rolls when locked on.

Also when locked on the bigger weapons will swing into the direction you're pushing the movement stick instead of towards the enemy like in 1. This gives you more precise control, but also means you'll miss a lot of swings and get punished for leaving yourself open before you get used to it.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 20, 2014

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
If I was going to buy this, would the season pass for all the DLC be a good use of £20?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Evfedu posted:

If I was going to buy this, would the season pass for all the DLC be a good use of £20?

i'd say wait for the scholars of the first sin thing to come out and get that if you don't already own the game.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
But I've got two weeks off work now :(

Aight, special edish it is.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Fister Roboto posted:

If you've played DS1, you should know that the best experience is going in blind.
It took me a week to get through Sens in my DS1 blindrun and I still had fun, but I absolutely hated my DS2 blindrun. It was the endless wandering and re-trying so many locked doors that made me want to give up on the blindrun. I killed every boss I've found, where am I supposed to go now? Never had that issue in Dark Souls.

I went in so blind I never figured out how to unhollow besides fulfilling duty as a small/reg soapstone. I tried burning an effigy at a bonfire once and never figured it out. I read the description as 'reverse hollowing and also prevent invasions' and thought the item was supposed to be used at a bonfire because you could use it at a bonfire, just like reversing hollowing in DS1 was. To be fair, the item description literally says

Use this item to reverse Hollowing.
It also weakens the links to other worlds,
preventing invasions and most cooperation.

Had a lot of fun on the ruin sentinels. I knew I could beat them without getting hit, and eventually I did. I had a +3 mace and hadn't leveled VIG much since I was fully hollowed basically all the time. Somehow I missed the ring of binding. I had to kill the first sentinel without getting hit, do as much damage to the 2nd before the third is ready to jump up, and then I drop down at which point any hit will kill me from there on. I think I died more on the ruin sentinels than the whole rest of the blindrun.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

okay, what the hell is the kick button? I've tried every combo and I can't figure it out? Where is my glorious enemy+ledge problem solver?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

double nine posted:

okay, what the hell is the kick button? I've tried every combo and I can't figure it out? Where is my glorious enemy+ledge problem solver?

fwd + R1

it's a pimp slap now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Primary attack + tap forward. On keyboard it's W + left mouse (I think? I haven't played with kb/m), on controllers it's R1 + analog stick forward.

edit: And yeah like the above poster said it's a backhand now and it looks cool but it's way less useful than the kick was.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CJacobs posted:

Primary attack + tap forward. On keyboard it's W + left mouse (I think? I haven't played with kb/m), on controllers it's R1 + analog stick forward.

edit: And yeah like the above poster said it's a backhand now and it looks cool but it's way less useful than the kick was.

It's way more telegraphed now so if you want to use it in PVP you have to anticipate them a bit

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Any recommended order for the DLC?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Less Fat Luke posted:

Any recommended order for the DLC?

Doesn't matter, just go through them in any order you'd like. I personally thing Sunken King is the easiest, though, so you might wanna start with that one if you want to ease into things. But in general you can consider them all endgame areas.

Crown of the the Sunken King has the best level design (in my opinion) and is my favorite of the DLCs. Possibly the easiest of the three.
Crown of the Old Iron King probably has the most difficult boss but the most mediocre gameplay area (again, in my opinion, plus it's still pretty good.)
Crown of the Ivory King is pretty good throughout. May have the toughest regular gameplay areas.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If anyone wants to draw a lovely avatar for my lovely dark souls blog and win some non-lovely games (any *souls game or dlc of your choosing), you can totally do that. So far the results are pretty hilarious. This one is my favorite so far:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

IGgy IGsen posted:

Doesn't matter, just go through them in any order you'd like. I personally thing Sunken King is the easiest, though, so you might wanna start with that one if you want to ease into things. But in general you can consider them all endgame areas.

Crown of the the Sunken King has the best level design (in my opinion) and is my favorite of the DLCs. Possibly the easiest of the three.
Crown of the Old Iron King probably has the most difficult boss but the most mediocre gameplay area (again, in my opinion, plus it's still pretty good.)
Crown of the Ivory King is pretty good throughout. May have the toughest regular gameplay areas.
Thanks!