Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

ProfessorCirno posted:

Take how much pride people had - and still loving have - in THAC0. "It kept the unwanted DUMB players out of the hobby!" No, you dumbfuck, it's not that they couldn't understand it, it's that they didn't give enough of a poo poo to bother!

Oh goodness yes. People, he's not making this one up. I have genuinely see people claim that obtuse and complicated rules were great because they'd keep the idiots out of our hobby. (This was said in relation to the 2e-3e edition wars.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

Oh goodness yes. People, he's not making this one up. I have genuinely see people claim that obtuse and complicated rules were great because they'd keep the idiots out of our hobby. (This was said in relation to the 2e-3e edition wars.)

...and the 1e/2e arguments, although I guess this sort of stuff was less obvious before the internet.

e: Although I'm not old enough to have seen it personally when it would have been relevant, a similar mindset does exist over the B/x > BECMI progression.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 20, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've said it time and time again, but THAC0 is not difficult. It's lovely, slow, and obsolete, but not difficult.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I've said it time and time again, but THAC0 is not difficult. It's lovely, slow, and obsolete, but not difficult.

Yeah, anyone who thinks subtraction is difficult probably shouldn't be bragging about that fact.

I mean, I like messing around with fiddly system bits, but I sorta stopped doing that once I helped put together Pun Pun. After you've won, no need to keep playing that game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Right, that's the point. A lot of those people would talk up themselves as if they were briliant ubermensch for figuring out THAC0, and how it made them the ELITE FEW who were smart enough to play D&D. Meanwhile in the real world, it was just a pain in the rear end, not some super difficult math problem, so most people just made a wank off motion and left them to their dumb subtraction games.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

No man, don't you see? Those BECMI scrubs needed a table. I learned the formula for that table.

:v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Psst, if it's lovely and slow, it's difficult.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Psst, if it's lovely and slow, it's difficult.

Count backwards from 1000 by 13s.

Like, most people don't consider tedious makework to be 'difficult', just 'tedious makework'.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 20, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In hindsight THAC0 isn't even all that great an alternative compared to "write your target roll for a given AC on an index card, Dan, it's not like you're going to need more than 2-3" or the addition-only Target-20 system.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Anything major or important happen with regard to next the last 4 months?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

In hindsight THAC0 isn't even all that great an alternative compared to "write your target roll for a given AC on an index card, Dan, it's not like you're going to need more than 2-3" or the addition-only Target-20 system.

Most people in my old 2e group had a little table showing the die roll and AC hit for each of their weapons. They'd update it every time their Thac0 changed or they got a bonus.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

It's objectively more difficult than BAB, though, because subtraction is not commutative.

5+3 = 3+5

5-3 =/= 3-5

Subtraction is bad for easy math.

e: Target 20 is the best way to OSR.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Kylra posted:

It came out?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

It's objectively more difficult than BAB, though, because subtraction is not commutative.
It's more difficult sure, but it's simple subtraction. If you get smug because you can do simple subtraction you better be a 7 year old or something. Hit matrix is the best way to OSR. No math best math.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sage Genesis posted:

Maybe not necessarily "idiots", but those filthy casuals. Can't have any of this "growing the hobby" poo poo happening.

Like, really, if you get new people into the game, they might point out the lovely parts and be otherwise critical of it. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO' THAT.

blah blah, Nerd Identity and Tribal Signalling, etc.

Fourth Edition sorta laid the mechanics bare for anyone who bothered to spend time searching The Internet (and maybe the pervasiveness of the internet is the variable that's not applicable to earlier editions) and that resulted in the cardinal sin of also laying bare how bullshit all of the legacy mechanics are. "We want your riders to be 2 or 3ish... we'll make that CON for this class, because [REASONS] or [TRADITION] and your attack/damage mod will be a different ability, also because"

The filthy casuals came to 4th Edition with nothing (but their free offline character builder)... and they FLOURISHED.

Is it any wonder Mearls wanted to walk that poo poo back so vehemently?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PeterWeller posted:

No man, don't you see? Those BECMI scrubs needed a table. I learned the formula for that table.

:v:

I feel morally obligated to say:

Pretty much no-one will give a poo poo about a formula.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Difficult in the same sense that it's difficult to drink spoiled milk.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Guy I work with is a big dork like me, and we chat about the games we're running. He said he loves Next a lot, and makes a tsk tsk sound when I tell him my group plays 4e. I'm used to this reaction though, so I just brush it aside instead of argue.

But I had to ask what it is about 5 that he likes so much, and he said "Because it ports 3.5 and 2nd edition so well"

Uh. Does it? He has a bunch of homebrew stuff he uses, and has said he likes the feeeeel of the new rules. So I guess it's mission accomplished then.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Short answer: not really.

Long answer: check his kool-aid, it might be spiked.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Laphroaig posted:

Adventurer's League will have rulings, not rules, so that your local Adventurer's League will be unique! It will be YOUR D&D, not the D&D some corporate guy at "Wi$$ard$ of the Coa$t" is trying to sell you.

Also theatre of the mind
Most people I see at Encounters night usually have a grid.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kylra posted:

The DMG is out. It's better than the other two books but did not magically make the other two books better. Magic items are some groggy poo poo. Encounter math is still hosed, etc. etc. etc.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

30.5 Days posted:

The DMG is out. It's better than the other two books but did not magically make the other two books better. Magic items are some groggy poo poo. Encounter math is still hosed, etc. etc. etc.

For some reason I've seen lots of people elsewhere say that the 5e DMG is the best one yet. I'll admit that I haven't read through it in great depth (a friend of mine has the 5e core set and I sometimes browse through them) but I haven't seen anything particularly great so far. The numbers for the encounter guidelines seem off, the treasure is as unremarkable as ever, the advice seems decent but standard, and some of the "rules" are actually laughable - their guidelines on PC race construction are so brief they are practically nonexistent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sage Genesis posted:

For some reason I've seen lots of people elsewhere say that the 5e DMG is the best one yet.

The reason is that RC didn't need one, 1e was a nightmare of charts, nobody remembers 2e as well as they think they do, and they are deliberately ignoring 4e. You should read "5e is the best DMG!" as "it's slightly better than 3x."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

30.5 Days posted:

Is there any word on when the basic pdf will be updated to contain DMG content?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

moths posted:

The reason is that RC didn't need one, 1e was a nightmare of charts, nobody remembers 2e as well as they think they do, and they are deliberately ignoring 4e. You should read "5e is the best DMG!" as "it's slightly better than 3x."
The 5e DMG has all the procedural campaign generation stuff that was absent from 3e and 4e, and a pile of variant rules and other ideas for customizing your game. The 5e is a strong product.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

ascendance posted:

The 5e DMG has all the procedural campaign generation stuff that was absent from 3e and 4e, and a pile of variant rules and other ideas for customizing your game. The 5e is a strong product.

I'm not sure what stuff is absent from 3e and 4e that 5e does include. Can you give some examples, preferably with a chapter or page number or something?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sage Genesis posted:

I'm not sure what stuff is absent from 3e and 4e that 5e does include. Can you give some examples, preferably with a chapter or page number or something?

The ability to generate an entire campaign world with dice. It's not useful for anything but I guess some people like knowing it's there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

30.5 Days posted:

The ability to generate an entire campaign world with dice.

That sounds like it could generate some hilarious crap.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

moths posted:

The 3e DMG is loving garbage. To me it was the other half of the PHB arranged randomly with tables apropos of nothing every couple pages.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the responses guys; as someone who hasn't played D&D before, i simply don't understand some of the hate fifth edition has in the thread.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the responses guys; as someone who hasn't played D&D before, i simply don't understand some of the hate fifth edition has in the thread.

5th edition would be pretty alright if this was the year 2004, perhaps. However, a decade of better poo poo came out in the meantime, and this more or less ignores that, to pick amongst the rubble as it goes for what mechanics it likes. It covers the tummyfeels just fine, though, so if you wanted it to try to eat Pathfinder's lunch, mission accomplished.

It's like saying, "Hey lets try to go to the moon again, but ignore literally anything we learned after 1962, and poorly reinvent the wheel as we go."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Honestly. most of us don't hate it. We don't love it. We thoroughly meh it. Which is what's so disappointing about it. It's a massively wasted opportunity that should have been *better*.

We dislike it not for what it is, but for what it could have been.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Sage Genesis posted:

For some reason I've seen lots of people elsewhere say that the 5e DMG is the best one yet. I'll admit that I haven't read through it in great depth (a friend of mine has the 5e core set and I sometimes browse through them) but I haven't seen anything particularly great so far. The numbers for the encounter guidelines seem off, the treasure is as unremarkable as ever, the advice seems decent but standard, and some of the "rules" are actually laughable - their guidelines on PC race construction are so brief they are practically nonexistent.

5e DMG has to be the best for the same reason 4e has to have sold poorly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to make a list of "sections of the 4E DMG that are also in the 5E DMG" and I had to stop after hitting a dozen because I was barely 20 pages in. If you cut out all of the mechanically-specific discussions, it's all there and it's all been written before. And I mean that literally.

Page 8 of the 4E DMG, The Players, notes down the different Player Motivations: An Actor, an Explorer, an Instigator, a Power Gamer, a Slayer, a Story Teller, a Thinker and a Watcher
Page 6 of the 5E DMG, Know Your Players, classifies the player types as Acting, Exploring, Instigating, Fighting, Optimizing, Problem Solving, and Storytelling

Page 18 of the 5E DMG has a d100 rollable table of forms of government, page 154 of the 4E DMG just talks about the forms of government (although as I had posted before, most of the discussion paragraphs in the 5E DMG were outright copy-pasted from the 4E section)

They both have sections on Gods, Planes, Factions, Treasure, How to run a Campaign, and on and on.

30.5 Days is correct in that 5E does have a bunch of tables to randomly determine things like "World Shaking Events" on a d10, or "Leader Types" on a d6, but if you look closely the same material is there in 4E, it's just in paragraph form or on a roll-less list.

The only other significant difference I can see is that 4E's section on variant rules is 1 page long: Why you should make them and how, and the best examples they can come up with are "Fumble" and "Critical Success/Failure on a Natural 20/1"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

The only other significant difference I can see is that 4E's section on variant rules is 1 page long: Why you should make them and how, and the best examples they can come up with are "Fumble" and "Critical Success/Failure on a Natural 20/1"
Wow, straight of an issue of The Dragon from 1979!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chipp Zanuff posted:

If the RPG market was a menu, 5e would be twice warmed over ham. It tastes fine and won't make you sick, but also on the menu are a slew of other new and fresh dishes.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

And to be fair building the book for new players who have never read a word of it matters too, but, when chunks are literally passed down over the decades verbatim, THAT is where I have issues. I mean, it's not as if anything has changed in the last 35 years or so, right? :ohdearsass:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

My point was more that apparently the writers of the 4E DMG were confident enough of the model of their game that they didn't think the game needed a lot of additional variant rules, although of course history bears out the Inherent Bonuses needed to be a thing anyway.

Moinkmaster posted:

And to be fair building the book for new players who have never read a word of it matters too, but, when chunks are literally passed down over the decades verbatim, THAT is where I have issues. I mean, it's not as if anything has changed in the last 35 years or so, right? :ohdearsass:

I thought that 5E talking about "success at a cost" and "degrees of failure" was rather progressive, but

quote:

If the characters fail the challenge, the story still has to move forward, but in a different direction and possibly by a longer, more dangerous route. You can think of it like a room in a dungeon. If the characters can’t defeat the dragon in that room, they don’t get the experience for killing it or the treasure it guards, and they can’t go through the door on the opposite side of the room. They might still be able to get to the chamber behind the door, but by taking a different and more arduous path. In the same way, failure in a skill challenge should send the characters down a different route in the adventure, but not derail them entirely.

Success or failure in a skill challenge also influences the course of the adventure—the characters locate the temple and begin infiltrating it, or they get lost and must seek help. In either case, however, the adventure continues. With success, this is no problem, but don’t fall into the trap of making progress dependent on success in a skill challenge. Failure introduces complications rather than ending the adventure. If the characters get lost in the jungle, that leads to further challenges, not the end of the adventure.

That was still already mostly there by 2008

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

My point was more that apparently the writers of the 4E DMG were confident enough of the model of their game that they didn't think the game needed a lot of additional variant rules, although of course history bears out the Inherent Bonuses needed to be a thing anyway.
It... Wasn't. The 4e DMG 1 has awesome advice about running a game. But just about every time it touches rules, it turns into a clusterfuck. The probability is completely jacked on original skill challenges. Monster creation uses ability scores, and has busted math. Monster templates are utterly terrible and senseless. Who knows what the gently caress those item thresholds were for.

At that time, the designers still had no idea what kind of game they were making, so there's all kinds of artifacts of when one designer or another thought the game was still supposed to be a simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

All the stuff from pg. 254 onwards. The random dungeon generation stuff is better than done before. Lots of flavorful set dressing.

The stuff between 93 and 121. Random tables and stuff for different environments.

All the downtime stuff.