Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My son plays with toys his uncle and I played with as kids.

Same goes for other toys from his mother come to think of it. His baby doll was my mothers when she was a little girl.

He gets plenty of cheap plastic crap but well built/simple toys can last a long, long time. I'm sure he'll be playing with my old transformers once his cousin gets tired of them and hands them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyboy
Feb 8, 2007
Does anyone have any advice regarding finding affordable child care? I'm not pregnant yet, but have decided at 31 to start trying. I am already so nervous about the cost. I live in MA (Boston area), which is one of the most expensive states for child care. The monthly rates I've seen for day care centers are more than my mortgage. Are home-based day cares more affordable than day care centers? How would I go about finding a good one and when would I need to start looking?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I would see if your state has a database of their ratings of day cares. Here in NC we have a database we can look up what ratings centers and home places receive. If they didn't get state ratings, I'd be wary not to use them. I'd assume Massachusetts has something like that as well. We found our daycare because our friends also use it and its one of the few places we could find that does theirs by how many days a week you use them. Most of the places around here are either full time or nothing or part time is 20 hours or less a week and a minute over bumps you to the full time price.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

ladyboy posted:

Does anyone have any advice regarding finding affordable child care? I'm not pregnant yet, but have decided at 31 to start trying. I am already so nervous about the cost. I live in MA (Boston area), which is one of the most expensive states for child care. The monthly rates I've seen for day care centers are more than my mortgage. Are home-based day cares more affordable than day care centers? How would I go about finding a good one and when would I need to start looking?

We got super lucky. My husband is a full time student, and the school he attends offers day care at an hourly rate. He can drop our daughter off at day care when he has class, so we will only pay about $80 per week.

Start shopping early. I would have never thought to use a college's day care, but after looking at centers vs home day care, it was the best option for us. The center we are using does take non-students, but students and faculty have first dibs and get a discounted rate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The college I teach at HAS an Early Childhood degree. You would think they would have daycare on campus. Nope!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I just became the proud owner of a 25 dollar Google Play gift certificate, and I am thinking of putting it towards some educational/toddler friendly apps for our two year old twins. Does anyone have any suggestions that your sprouts particularly like? We are traveling for the holidays so I am expecting that they'll get some good use out of our tablets.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Find a nanny. Find 3 other people who need child care. Work something out between the four of you as to a rotating schedule between houses, or someone who has a play area or something. Have your kid watched on a 1:4 ratio where you have direct supervision over the caregiver, as opposed to a 1:20 ratio where you don't. Even if you paid this persok $50k/yr, that's $1k/mo which is probably a decent discount for anything else you'll find.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

photomikey posted:

Find a nanny. Find 3 other people who need child care. Work something out between the four of you as to a rotating schedule between houses, or someone who has a play area or something. Have your kid watched on a 1:4 ratio where you have direct supervision over the caregiver, as opposed to a 1:20 ratio where you don't. Even if you paid this persok $50k/yr, that's $1k/mo which is probably a decent discount for anything else you'll find.

What kind of nightmare daycare scenario are you imagining with a 1:20 caregiver:kid ratio? The legal limits in my state are 1:4 and that's with all sorts of additional restrictions on the max number of children, the max number of children per age group, etc. All of the daycares in my area are 1:3 ratio.

ladyboy, the advice is so region specific that you would be better off looking for online communities specific to your area. In my area, home-based daycare is about the same price as the affordable group daycares, but in my opinion the level of care is worse. Nannies are much more expensive than daycare even if you can manage to work out a way to split costs with other families (and good luck with that). But things may be completely different where you are.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Papercut posted:

What kind of nightmare daycare scenario are you imagining with a 1:20 caregiver:kid ratio? The legal limits in my state are 1:4 and that's with all sorts of additional restrictions on the max number of children, the max number of children per age group, etc. All of the daycares in my area are 1:3 ratio.

ladyboy, the advice is so region specific that you would be better off looking for online communities specific to your area. In my area, home-based daycare is about the same price as the affordable group daycares, but in my opinion the level of care is worse. Nannies are much more expensive than daycare even if you can manage to work out a way to split costs with other families (and good luck with that). But things may be completely different where you are.

I pay $25 a day for each of my kids. This is against national averages for daycare super loving cheap. This place is sort of unusual (it is a non-profit non-denominational state and federal accredited), but aside from the point, it is 100% regional. You have to do some legwork to see what option will be best for you.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 18, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I pay $200 a week for a great daycare where the max ratio is 1 teacher for 4 kids. Usually it ends up being 1:3 on most days.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I just became the proud owner of a 25 dollar Google Play gift certificate, and I am thinking of putting it towards some educational/toddler friendly apps for our two year old twins. Does anyone have any suggestions that your sprouts particularly like? We are traveling for the holidays so I am expecting that they'll get some good use out of our tablets.

Endless Alphabet is a hit with my two year old.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

sheri posted:

I pay $200 a week for a great daycare where the max ratio is 1 teacher for 4 kids. Usually it ends up being 1:3 on most days.

Your cost of about $10,400 a year is pretty close to average for a child. This is about a 1:4 ratio, the baby room tends to have 3 or 4 people per 8 babies, older kids are less. In PA the state mandates 1:4 for infants, I think its like 1:6 for 1-3 year olds? 1:8 for 3-4 year olds, 1:10 for 4-5 year olds. I may be off, it was 3 or so years ago they went over all this.

quote:

The average cost of center-based daycare in the United States is $11,666 per year ($972 a month), but prices range from $3,582 to $18,773 a year ($300 to $1,564 monthly), according to the National Association of Child Care Resource & Referral Agencies (NACCRRA). Parents report higher costs – up to $2,000 a month for infant care – in cities like Boston and San Francisco.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like I'm getting a steal at $600/month for our child!

Then again I'm in Mississippi so that's like $8,000 when adjusted for cost of living.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

jassi007 posted:

I pay $25 a day for each of my kids. This is against national averages for daycare super loving cheap.

We pay $ 320 a month, that's the highest price the council-owned kindergartens/daycares are allowed to charge in Norway. You get parts of it subsidised or free if you're poor. My kid actually attends Scandinavias biggest kindergarten - 500 kids under one roof! We were a bit worried before we got to see how it worked, but they're amazing at keeping the kids in their own little groups in their own homeroom with their "own" adults. As far as my daughter knows, there are 17 other kids (age 1-5) and 6 adults at her daycare, but they've got access to the most insane facilities because there are 500 kids rotating between activities. They've got their own water room with splashing pools and fountains, music rooms, several different gyms and "sensory" rooms, and kitchens fitted for the bigger kids to help out with cooking and stuff, and the outdoor area is just fantastic.
We're concidering a move out of the city so that we can swap our apartment for an actual house, and one of the biggest things keeping us in the city is honest to god not wanting to move her to a different kindergarten/daycare.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Christ. I pay $1300 a month for daycare for my baby. This is the on-site daycare too, so it's subsidized by my company. For reference, max ratio is 1:4, max 8 babies in the room, usually 2-3 caregivers at any given time, price includes breakfast, lunch and snack (but it's infant care, they don't eat that much). There are some cheaper places near me, but they're not that much cheaper.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

gninjagnome posted:

Christ. I pay $1300 a month for daycare for my baby. This is the on-site daycare too, so it's subsidized by my company. For reference, max ratio is 1:4, max 8 babies in the room, usually 2-3 caregivers at any given time, price includes breakfast, lunch and snack (but it's infant care, they don't eat that much). There are some cheaper places near me, but there not that much cheaper.

My daycare in SF is $1450 per month, and that's on the low end. Preschool is a little cheaper on average, I assume because of the competition with public preschools.

100% worth the money though. There's no way one of us could give him the same experiences he's getting at daycare even if we wanted to be a stay-at-home parent. He's basically been in a preschool environment since he was 1, and he's now bilingual as well because his daycare is 100% Mandarin.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Papercut posted:

My daycare in SF is $1450 per month, and that's on the low end. Preschool is a little cheaper on average, I assume because of the competition with public preschools.

100% worth the money though. There's no way one of us could give him the same experiences he's getting at daycare even if we wanted to be a stay-at-home parent. He's basically been in a preschool environment since he was 1, and he's now bilingual as well because his daycare is 100% Mandarin.

I agree. Well my kids aren't learning a 2nd language but as someone who basically had no child friends until kindergarten, there is no substitute for our kids having social interaction. There are so many little things that I notice with my boys compared to some similar aged family members that show the value of socializing. Even though my 3.5 year old would prefer to stay home (I think he just likes playing with all the toys better than sharing)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

jassi007 posted:

I agree. Well my kids aren't learning a 2nd language but as someone who basically had no child friends until kindergarten, there is no substitute for our kids having social interaction.

Yeah, the biggest positive I notice is the effect being with slightly bigger kids has - she picks up stuff SO FAST when she sees the 2-3 year olds doing it, and the 4-5 year olds love showing the little kids how things are done, and get such a self esteem boost from being the big helpers.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

There are definitely benefits to the daycare. I'm also paying for the convince of being able to hang out with my daughter during lunch, or if I have some downtime at work. It's just so ridiculously expensive around here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Endless numbers or endless alphabet is a good choice. My kiddo likes toddler cars, too, but the author made his stuff obnoxiously ad-laden too.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also, pretty sure with nannies you have to pay payroll taxes and other stuff.

Yep!
https://www.care.com/homepay/nanny-tax-guide

So add on the cost of taxes to whatever you pay a nanny.

ladyboy
Feb 8, 2007
Thanks for everyone's input on child care. I'm trying not to stress out about everything before I am even pregnant, but it's difficult. Anyone I've mentioned my anxieties to in real life has said "don't worry, you'll make it work!" and I hope that's true.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ladyboy posted:

"don't worry, you'll make it work!" and I hope that's true.
This is surprisingly true.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Papercut posted:

My daycare in SF is $1450 per month, and that's on the low end.
That's a steal! We'll be putting our daughter in daycare in SF this summer and haven't seen a quote less than $2500/month.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
I live near Seattle and was pricing nearby daycares just out of curiosity. For our 9 month old and 2 year old, we were looking at $2500 a month at least. I'd love for my kids to have the daily, consistent socialization, but that poo poo is more than our mortgage so I stay at home. So for now they're stuck with what exposure to others that we can find for them and the kids' club at the gym.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

amethystbliss posted:

That's a steal! We'll be putting our daughter in daycare in SF this summer and haven't seen a quote less than $2500/month.

Jesus

And I was annoyed by paying $1,000/month for the place we found in Vancouver.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Holy poo poo, am I glad I live in homofascist/social democrat Scandinavia.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

sheri posted:

Also, pretty sure with nannies you have to pay payroll taxes and other stuff.

Yep!
https://www.care.com/homepay/nanny-tax-guide

So add on the cost of taxes to whatever you pay a nanny.

Our nanny doesn't report her income :/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Here in NC I am paying $170 for 4 days a week. It would be $212 if was a full week. This is the best rate I could find at a center that wasn't sketchy. There are places around here a lot more expensive than this and there are places that are cheaper but nowhere I'd feel comfortable leaving my kid.

Its a weird place. Its in the rich suburb around here and an independent place, not a chain. Its not religious, but they have a stack of chick tracks for people to take, but they get organic local milk and don't serve pork in case there's any Muslim or Jewish kids? :confused:

They have the weirdest art on the wall. By the baby rooms they have someone that painted tadpoles with baby faces on them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

amethystbliss posted:

Angela's Childcare Center if you want to get in, although I don't know if they have any spots available.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm getting some christmas presents for my almost 3 year old niece. I'm looking for some "smart toys for thinkers" kinda things (as per her parents).

Thoughts?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I'm getting some christmas presents for my almost 3 year old niece. I'm looking for some "smart toys for thinkers" kinda things (as per her parents).

Thoughts?

Check out this list from Baby Cheapskate: Toys that get played with, Ages 3 to 4

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Molybdenum posted:

Our nanny doesn't report her income :/

If she is taking care of your child(ren) in your house, keep in mind that if the IRS manages to find out about this and comes after her, she can report that the income came from you, and ultimately you will be held liable for paying your portion of payroll taxes.

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, since a lot of people do this and never get caught, but it is possible.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

flowinprose posted:

If she is taking care of your child(ren) in your house, keep in mind that if the IRS manages to find out about this and comes after her, she can report that the income came from you, and ultimately you will be held liable for paying your portion of payroll taxes.

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, since a lot of people do this and never get caught, but it is possible.

Yep, I think we'd be able to write off our payments to her for childcare too. I'd prefer that she report but I'm not going to narc on her.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Yep, I think we'd be able to write off our payments to her for childcare too. I'd prefer that she report but I'm not going to narc on her.

Except your $600 dependent care benefit deduction probably isn't going to be anywhere close to the 7.5% payroll tax you're hit for. Especially if it's been going on for several years.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My lovely daughter somehow bypassed my phone's password protection and did a factory reset. I lost everything.

I threw a temper tantrum this morning. Yelling, throwing the phone, generally acting like a toddler. I feel terrible, but it was a shock to discover what she had done and she lost a lot of really great photos/video a had just taken a few days before at Disneyland. Apparently, when she came into bed with us last night at 3am she grabbed the phone on the bedside table and presto!

I know my daughter is probably too young to really understand what she did, so I don't plan to punish her or anything. I just feel bad I acted like an idiot in front of my kids. Do I let it go, or do I sit them down to apologize? I've calmed down from a few hours ago, so do I just let it go? What do you guys do when you lose your temper in front of the kids over something like this?

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

VorpalBunny posted:

My lovely daughter somehow bypassed my phone's password protection and did a factory reset. I lost everything.

I threw a temper tantrum this morning. Yelling, throwing the phone, generally acting like a toddler. I feel terrible, but it was a shock to discover what she had done and she lost a lot of really great photos/video a had just taken a few days before at Disneyland. Apparently, when she came into bed with us last night at 3am she grabbed the phone on the bedside table and presto!

I know my daughter is probably too young to really understand what she did, so I don't plan to punish her or anything. I just feel bad I acted like an idiot in front of my kids. Do I let it go, or do I sit them down to apologize? I've calmed down from a few hours ago, so do I just let it go? What do you guys do when you lose your temper in front of the kids over something like this?

I don't have an answer as to what to do, but apparently my son did this to dad's phone this morning too but when the phone was restarted everything wad back to normal. Maybe a weird glitch and not the kids?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

VorpalBunny posted:

Model good behavior. Same as always. Sit your kids down, explain that you totally lost the plot, and that behavior isn't acceptable in adults either, and apologise. Same as you'd want your kids to do.

And make whatever rules are appropriate to make it so this doesn't happen again. I found it was well worth the couple hundred bucks to buy kids their own electronics that they are allowed to touch, so that mine can be untouchable. They are still 'my' electronics and they live on a high shelf except when they are expressly permitted, but they don't have my stuff on them, so if it gets screwed up, it is their problem rather than mine.

I have every sympathy though. I've had kids who were well up near the age of reason decide to delete my super-high-level many hours of life wasted game saves, in order to free up a 4th slot, because they like to play the first level again and again. That poo poo will make you lose your mind.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

flowinprose posted:

On the other hand... letting your kid have access to your device which may have important/sensitive things on it (and potentially cost a LOT more than something you would buy specifically for them) may end up with them accidently damaging/destroying it or getting into something that you don't want them to access/purchase. If money is not a big factor, I think purchasing electronics specifically for your kids to use is fine, but as Slo-Tek mentioned, you might want to set some ground rules for when and how long they get access to it.

Reminds me of this post from exactly a month ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My kid didn't delete my phone today but he did grab a red sharpie when I was attending to his younger brother in another room and colored me a picture on our recliner and the carpet. He knew too he said "don't put me in time out."