Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

epitasis posted:

Todd Martin is actually the best analyst in the empire #believethat

Todd Martin isn't the best analyst in Todd Martin's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jim Cornette reads hate mail ("...blind sheep following Imperial King Obama rear end-kissing liberal...") and has Bryan Alvarez on this week. Oh boy, so much blowhard.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oatgan posted:

i hate all of these things

You are correct to do so.

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!
The latest Talk is Jericho is with Ryback - The interview starts at 24:38 to avoid the intro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It shouldn't amaze me, but it amazes me how sharp Austin's mind for wrestling is. Everything he said about Dolph Ziggler and what he needs to do just rang this bell in me of "drat, this is exactly why he does so little for me." Dave had some good points too, but the things Austin said were dead on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MassRafTer posted:

It shouldn't amaze me, but it amazes me how sharp Austin's mind for wrestling is. Everything he said about Dolph Ziggler and what he needs to do just rang this bell in me of "drat, this is exactly why he does so little for me." Dave had some good points too, but the things Austin said were dead on.

Ziggler seems like a guy who decided ok, this is what I need to do to get myself noticed but is now locked in that mode. I like Ziggler a lot, but he needs to do more than just be the guy who bumps really well. There's no reason he can't smooth it out so he brings a really good offence as well. In OSWReview there was a great description of the Perfect/Luger match which was "Luger stands in the centre of the ring while Perfect bumps around him.". It feels like Ziggler is Perfect right now and everyone else is Luger.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

It's kind of amazing, because he throws out a casual thing like,"He should probably maintain a vertical base in his post-match celebrations" and my immediate thought is who really cares, and then he elaborates on why he thinks this and it just makes this absolute perfect sense.

I'm glad he's so happy in his retirement and doing so well and I'd actually prefer he never return to any kind of permanent role in wrestling, but on the other hand it's a drat shame that a guy who just so clearly "gets it" isn't involved. I do hope he gets a chance to spend some time with the NXT guys, since he's said many times he'd be happy to be invited down there to offer some advice.

No wonder Bret Hart wanted to work with him all the time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I got really sick of Austin's brawls back in the day. The character was always great but his matches were always kind of mediocre. At the time of course I was much more into the stuff that Benoit/Hart and the like were doing but I'll bet you could take some of the worst Austin matches from that era, particularly the ones against Shane and Vince that were hideous, and with Austin doing commentary you'd think you were watching a 5 star match. Even that Rock/Austin mania match I remembered being pretty bland, but god drat listening to him sell it was pretty good.

Too bad he doesn't have insight like that on weekly matches. Although even without I'd love to see him watch NXT or something then do commentary afterwards talking about how they might have built the match or where they could improve.

Or maybe I'm just hurting for decent commentary lately.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ryback comes across so well. I just almost wished they hadn't mentioned the Punk thing. I know they have to, but you can't say hey I'm totally safe when we have video of you missing the drat table. I think, listening to both sides, that maybe there was just a misunderstanding and bad luck between the two of them. I know he has to tow the company line, but come on, you can't say oh yeah you can totally have time off whenever you want if you're injured.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Austin: You're thinking about pussy again
Ted Fowler: Yes, sir. Yes I am.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Scary granny story from last night :smith:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Are either the JR interview with Jarrett or the Cornette interview with Alvarez worth listening to for any reason?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I really enjoyued the Cornette interview with Alvarez. I'm sure TNA Mecca is going nuts because they buried TNA a bunch of times. Cornette also reads some mail from a conservative POV, which you may find hilarious.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Double J talking with Bryan and Dave was pretty good.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are either the JR interview with Jarrett or the Cornette interview with Alvarez worth listening to for any reason?

Jarrett and JR reviewed TLC. It was weird how complimentary and honest JJ was about his theoretical competitor.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god Double J rules so hard

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The best part of the Jericho podcasts lately is that everyone keeps impersonating Dusty Rhodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flashy_mcflash posted:

JR interview with Jarrett was fine, if pretty shallow. The most notable thing is that they very briefly discuss Jarrett holding up Vince for money and whether Jarrett regrets doing it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

I really enjoyued the Cornette interview with Alvarez. I'm sure TNA Mecca is going nuts because they buried TNA a bunch of times. Cornette also reads some mail from a conservative POV, which you may find hilarious.

I liked it pretty well too. The highlight might be Jim Cornette's response to hearing that Rick Bassman did a Kickstarter to write a book with about ten minutes left in the show.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

JR interview with Jarrett was fine, if pretty shallow. The most notable thing is that they very briefly discuss Jarrett holding up Vince for money and whether Jarrett regrets doing it.

I would like Jarrett to come back for a more in-depth interview because this was mostly a commercial for Wrestle Kingdom.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I would like Jarrett to come back for a more in-depth interview because this was mostly a commercial for Wrestle Kingdom.

Jeff Jarrett's thing is he sounds personable and open but never actually says anything.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Holy poo poo I am laughing like an idiot listening to Gallows' Vox on Talkin Shop. I'm on the bus and people are looking at me funny

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

Scary granny story from last night :smith:

Yea this was really bizarre

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

The best part of the Jericho podcasts lately is that everyone keeps impersonating Dusty Rhodes.

My wife kept laughing at that. She loves when Zayn and Ambrose did it.

Then I showed her some actual Dusty promos and she nearly pissed herself laughing. She goes around saying "daddeh" to the cat.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

My wife kept laughing at that. She loves when Zayn and Ambrose did it.

Then I showed her some actual Dusty promos and she nearly pissed herself laughing. She goes around saying "daddeh" to the cat.

Kefin on AEPodcast has a pretty good one on their starrcade 97 show

E: oh dean :allears: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKl1vQn2M0

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Kefin on AEPodcast has a pretty good one on their starrcade 97 show

E: oh dean :allears: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKl1vQn2M0

Please, the best promo from Starrcade '97 was QUOTE THE CRIPPLER

NO MORE

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What is a VOX and how do I send one to BIG LG?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

What is a VOX and how do I send one to BIG LG?

It's like instant messenger you use with your voice!

Also the Alvarez interview has a neat rundown on why the network isn't as successful as it could be. But it's probably the same stuff he says on the f4w podcasts but I don't listen to those.

coconono fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

coconono posted:

It's like instant messenger you use with your voice!

Also the Alvarez interview has a neat rundown on why the network isn't as successful as it could be. But it's probably the same stuff he says on the f4w podcasts but I don't listen to those.

It's a clearer explanation probably because Cornette doesn't have the Network or really understand the business of it while F4W podcasts assume you already know all that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Total internet cliche but seriously lock thread

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's a clearer explanation probably because Cornette doesn't have the Network or really understand the business of it while F4W podcasts assume you already know all that.

What's crazy is that had WWE actually been accurate with their numbers, the network probably would've been classed as a success. The truth, that WWE don't want to accept, is that they're a niche market. If it wasn't for this dumb *potential* audience stuff then I don't think it would be derided as a failure.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DrVenkman posted:

What's crazy is that had WWE actually been accurate with their numbers, the network probably would've been classed as a success. The truth, that WWE don't want to accept, is that they're a niche market. If it wasn't for this dumb *potential* audience stuff then I don't think it would be derided as a failure.
Which goes to show you that their marketing company and focus audiences have done more bad than good in Vince's quest for legitimacy, when they can simply look at how the fans react to things going on in the arena in real time. And their general incompetence since Wrestlemania hasn't convinced that many new subscribers to the Network either (but that's not their fault apparently).

And on that note, I segue into a quote from RBR Wrestling from a couple years back:

"You know how we got stuck with him [Cena], right? They had a focus group where they picked him as being 'normal looking' and doesn't look like a wrestler"

"What?! He looks like an OGRE!"

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 20, 2014

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

rovert posted:

Total internet cliche but seriously lock thread

not enough stars on that shirt

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Did he change the smoke detector battery yet? I don't listen to his stuff anymore but I need to know the ending to this saga.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Perigryn posted:

And on that note, I segue into a quote from RBR Wrestling from a couple years back:

"You know how we got stuck with him [Cena], right? They had a focus group where they picked him as being 'normal looking' and doesn't look like a wrestler"

"What?! He looks like an OGRE!"

Hahahaha

I remember, back in 06 or 07, when Carlito was still in WWE and not giving a crap, he was getting interviewed about the new Smackdown vs Raw game and complained about his hair in the game like:

'They can get John Cena's Frankenstein head perfect but my hair's always wrong.'

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
the nature boy showing up on talkin shop had me dying!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

The Network would have also needed to be drastically different to be classed a success. It couldn't take them out of the PPV game with these kind of numbers and without all the PPVs it would be hard to have these kind of numbers.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I love Austin but every week Gallows' Stone Cold voice sends me into hysterics. I was dying listen to him talk about the boys this week.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dunbar posted:

I love Austin but every week Gallows' Stone Cold voice sends me into hysterics. I was dying listen to him talk about the boys this week.

I like how they try to say it isn't a stone cold voice. Its a guy or a red neck, but if someone says stone cold they are like who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I like how they try to say it isn't a stone cold voice. Its a guy or a red neck, but if someone says stone cold they are like who?

Son of a bitch

• Locked thread