Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ChaosArgate posted:

If you're buying more than one, probably not. I got mine on clearance, so I'd try to hold out for a sale if possible.

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wait why is Lucario specifically a counterpick to Mac?

Only players I hate running into are Links and Diddy's. Links all play the exact same and Diddy's just spam down throw up air. No respect for dudes who can't mix it up.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't dislike any characters. I literally do nothing but play For Fun with random select.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait why is Lucario specifically a counterpick to Mac?

Only players I hate running into are Links and Diddy's. Links all play the exact same and Diddy's just spam down throw up air. No respect for dudes who can't mix it up.

Lucario's just my best character, the way I play him works perfectly against the playstyle I see on most Macs. I've never come across a Diddy or Link, but I've noticed a lot of Charizards.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Calico Heart posted:

Oh, and I've never seen a Zelda or Meta Knight

I see Zelda in FFA far too often because people have discovered her teleport has huge knockback and she can safely just appear in the middle of a group for easy kills.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I see Zelda pretty consistently. Marth/Lucina I see a lot. I've seen a billion Little Macs, Links, Mr Game & Watches, Shulks, Nesses, and Zero Suit Samuses. I don't think I've ever seen a Peach at all. Or Pac-man. Every other character I think I've only seen like 5 or less times. Yoshis included which is strange cause I saw him a lot in the 3DS version.

I do wish I could see more diversity online but thems the breaks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
man Marth is really easy to use and the tipper is mad satisfying

but I don't want to become An Anime

what do?

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

Become the superior anime.

Play as Shulk, Marth, and Ike forever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i do like shulk a lot, and I like Ike. But Shulk's a goof and Ike's Manly. What has Marth going for him in that sense?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

i do like shulk a lot, and I like Ike. But Shulk's a goof and Ike's Manly. What has Marth going for him in that sense?

he's really pretty

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Marth is, in universe, a little bitch

He is faithful to his game incarnation here

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

sharrrk posted:

he's really pretty

yeah true but ike's prettier so who actually cares???

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't play for glory anymore.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marth is, in universe, a little bitch

He is faithful to his game incarnation here

So does Lucina suck in Fire Emblem? :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Sakurai's desire for gaming verisimilitude did not extend to Fire Emblem: Awakening

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's funny seeing people say who they see the most because I feel like it varies a ton from person to person. I actually see almost no Macs or rosalinas. I see a decent amount of links and captain falcons though. Peach is relatively common in my experience as well.

But yeah it seems like there's a lot of variety. I'm sitting here trying to decide if there's a particular character I see a lot and drawing a blank.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
I don't feel like I can play the 3ds version online, it's just way too laggy to be enjoyable. Not as bad as Brawl, but not exactly that great either. Is the wii u version any different? I don't own that one.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Maleficent posted:

I don't feel like I can play the 3ds version online, it's just way too laggy to be enjoyable. Not as bad as Brawl, but not exactly that great either. Is the wii u version any different? I don't own that one.

Wii-U online is much faster and more reliable, can confirm.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Maleficent posted:

I would say the fights where there is a laggy or just in general bad connection are few and far between in the WiiU version. It's about a billion steps up from Brawl and far better than the 3DS version.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Not really. She's a kinda generic sword lady but she is strong.

Robin's the one that got shafted, since she is an insane unstoppable juggernaut.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RyokoTK posted:

Not really. She's a kinda generic sword lady but she is strong.

Robin's the one that got shafted, since she is an insane unstoppable juggernaut.

Shafted in what way and where? Robin is fantastic in both Awakening and Smash 4. :confused:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Shafted in what way and where? Robin is fantastic in both Awakening and Smash 4. :confused:

As long as you don't need to grab things or put distance between yourself and someone

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

An accurate Robin would have a devastating auto-counter active at all times.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

She should be the ranged version of Ganondorf. She feels to me like the mix of Samus and Ness that no one asked for. I want fuckers to die when they taste some Thoron.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

She should be the ranged version of Ganondorf. She feels to me like the mix of Samus and Ness that no one asked for. I want fuckers to die when they taste some Thoron.

That's what the discarded books are for. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

They do though, it does 20 damage and they can't dodge it unless they shield, what more do you want

Also she's what Ganondorf should have been from the beginning instead of some weird nonsensical Captain Falcon ripoff that goes against literally every appearance he's had since OOT

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

They do though, it does 20 damage and they can't dodge it unless they shield, what more do you want

Also she's what Ganondorf should have been from the beginning instead of some weird nonsensical Captain Falcon ripoff that goes against literally every appearance he's had since OOT

don't talk about my grandpa that way

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Dorf laughs at 20 damage. Like, the skill is a good and well-designed one, but I fear it about as much as I fear the Charge Beam (which is "not much"). I'm just saying I'd love to have a character with the ranged equivalent of Warlock Punch. I just want to nuke dudes as Robin because that's pretty much how she operated in Awakening.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Dorf laughs at 20 damage. Like, the skill is a good and well-designed one, but I fear it about as much as I fear the Charge Beam (which is "not much"). I'm just saying I'd love to have a character with the ranged equivalent of Warlock Punch. I just want to nuke dudes as Robin because that's pretty much how she operated in Awakening.

A lot of people ended up using Robin as a Rally-bot, funnily enough, and mostly kept him/her away from the battles. :v: But yeah, Thoron's not nearly as good as Warlock Punch in terms of damage or knockback, but it's a lot easier to hit with and is pretty good for keeping dudes off the stage. I've even managed to scare people away from recovering just because I was charging up my Thunder tome. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Warlock Punch is a piece of poo poo though, you're only landing that if they actually walk into it. At least you're probably going to land a Thoron.

Plus isn't there a stronger custom move version of it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Warlock Punch is a piece of poo poo though, you're only landing that if they actually walk into it. At least you're probably going to land a Thoron.

Plus isn't there a stronger custom move version of it?

The Thunder+ variant of Thoron has 31% total damage. I dunno about knockback, but apparently it also completely burns out your Thunder+ tome because it only has 10 durability and Thoron+ uses 10 charges.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

landing warlock punch is actually doable in smash 4 because of the armor. its also a bit faster than in previous games iirc. its still tricky and requires you to make a good prediction but its not worthless like how it was in previous games.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Maleficent posted:

I haven't played the 3DS version, but my online experience on Wii U Smash Bros has been pretty bad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

A lot of people ended up using Robin as a Rally-bot, funnily enough, and mostly kept him/her away from the battles. :v: But yeah, Thoron's not nearly as good as Warlock Punch in terms of damage or knockback, but it's a lot easier to hit with and is pretty good for keeping dudes off the stage. I've even managed to scare people away from recovering just because I was charging up my Thunder tome. :v:

If you're gonna sperg out and min-max (which you kinda need to do for Apotheosis) then yeah you're going to keep Robin as a rally bot, but that's mostly because her son Morgan is "Robin, but better in every way" because that's how Awakening genetics works.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Warlock Punch has armor so it's not totally useless, and I don't really care that it's not good because that one moment when you connect with it and kill a dude at like 50% is so drat sweet and worth it.

The thing that I like about Dorf and Bowser is that they just have no patience for all the fancy Crouching Tiger flips and kicks and dashing in and out, they just wanna punch you in the mouth until you die. I was excited to play as Robin when the promos came out until I found out she just played like Samus with a sword. (She's better than Samus but you know what I mean.)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
If you can turn the Ganon Paunch consistently, your rate of nailing it will go up by like 50%. People are real silly about rolling through everything.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Ganondorfs Warlock punch, even with armor, is still worthless. It was, is, and probably will forever be worthless.

The custom variants are interesting, but still mostly worthless.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Waverhouse posted:

Ganondorfs Warlock punch, even with armor, is still worthless. It was, is, and probably will forever be worthless.

The custom variants are interesting, but still mostly worthless.

it is good for the home run contest!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
It's the best home-run contest finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This is a post for Sharrrrrkkk: if you wanna smash tomorrow I got time in the evening EST, if that's good for you.

• Locked thread