Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
[post]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Did not see an answer for this yet so here it comes again in the form of a question and statement:

Make mining faster?
Make mining faster.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

OwlFancier posted:

The energy mechanic is incredibly poorly thought out. The optimal way to use it is to dump your entire bar all at once, then wait for it to recharge, then dump it again. Not only does this maximise the amount of energy you get by helpfully preventing you from firing during charge (due to the delay after firing, you never want to use your energy bar during its charge cycle and you want to minimise the number of times you wait for it to charge, hence the dumping approach) but it also has a sound cue, which is far more information than you normally get, as the energy bar is a tiny bar in the corner of the screen, like your health, which makes it unreadable if you're actually doing anything.

They really need more sound cues for stuff like being low on energy. I tried to ask a dev about that, and I thought they said they added that in, but it sounds like what they actually meant was just the sound cue from the burn out charge cycle. :sigh:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Atm I'd rather less energy but quicker regen. The freeze on using all your stamina makes sense as a penalty but it's a bit harsh I think.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Man Whore posted:

plz re-add horse AI, because it was funny.

bring back the horse titty and, hell why not, add the horse butt, the horse pussy.... you get where I'm going with this :wink:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shoehead posted:

Atm I'd rather less energy but quicker regen. The freeze on using all your stamina makes sense as a penalty but it's a bit harsh I think.

I think the right way to do it is "Constant regen, but zeroing out freezes it for a second". Keep the current freeze-on-zero mechanic, but have the bar otherwise permanently regenerating. You can still drain yourself, but there's no longer an incentive to only magdump your bar. Currently, as someone else posted, there's no reason to save your energy if you want as much as possible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

Did not see an answer for this yet so here it comes again in the form of a question and statement:

Make mining faster?
Make mining faster.

They actually have sped it up quite a bit and made the first upgrade easier to get. I don't think it needs more than maybe minor tweaking now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
People keep begging for sandmining... while it was good I don't remember it actually showing up that much, please speed up regular mining and/or make ore more plentiful too.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Evilreaver posted:

I think the right way to do it is "Constant regen, but zeroing out freezes it for a second". Keep the current freeze-on-zero mechanic, but have the bar otherwise permanently regenerating. You can still drain yourself, but there's no longer an incentive to only magdump your bar. Currently, as someone else posted, there's no reason to save your energy if you want as much as possible.

I definitely agree

Jackard posted:

People keep begging for sandmining... while it was good I don't remember it actually showing up that much, please speed up regular mining and/or make ore more plentiful too.

This too! I can't seem to find any copper for the first upgrade.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I had a hard time finding any copper as well. I was loaded down with iron by the time I found my first natural copper spawn. Iron feels like it could be in a good place, but copper definitely needs a bump.

Mining feels like it's okay right now, but I'm not very far in what little game there is right now. Maybe it gets more hosed later on, I dunno man.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I haven't played this in nearly a year, did they add any cool hylotl stuff or really anything at all

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

perhaps

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Segmentation Fault posted:

I haven't played this in nearly a year, did they add any cool hylotl stuff or really anything at all

I know there's an underwater biome now

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to be digging around in the files a bit today, I'll report back anything interesting I find.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, backwards movement penalty maybe shouldn't happen in midair. It's really loving with our platforming.
The backwards movement penalty shouldn't happen at all, all that it makes you do with anything that isn't rapid fire is attack->switch directions to move back quickly->attack again, etc.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Mokinokaro posted:

They actually have sped it up quite a bit and made the first upgrade easier to get. I don't think it needs more than maybe minor tweaking now.

Unstable or nightly?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That said the biggest problem right now assuming damage values get fixed is, by miles, mining speed. There is no reason whatsoever that it should take as long as it does. Not even at the very start. Especially at the very start. I went through like 3 gold/4 copper pickaxes getting down there because I couldn't deal with how slow the MM digs. Just double all mining rates and see how it works, I guarantee you it will be more fun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tiyuri posted:

If you guys want to discuss any other real concerns that's cool and I'm up for that

For the love of god please just bring back sandmining. It's a nice way to make desert-heavy planets worthwhile over others and it's not like it's sequence breaking. It's just convenitent. Like finding a large, loosely-packed treasure chest that can smother you if you're careless.

Kinda like how mining volcanic planets is complete hell because 90% of the material is harder than stone, ensuring that nobody ever goes to one unless they don't know any better. :sigh:

victrix posted:

What raises my eyebrows more than anything is that the game doesn't feel remarkably different from what I played... what, half a year ago? I don't remember. A long time ago. Maybe it changes a lot past the early early game.

The stable is the same stable you played half a year ago.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IronicDongz posted:

That said the biggest problem right now assuming damage values get fixed is, by miles, mining speed. There is no reason whatsoever that it should take as long as it does. Not even at the very start. Especially at the very start. I went through like 3 gold/4 copper pickaxes getting down there because I couldn't deal with how slow the MM digs. Just double all mining rates and see how it works, I guarantee you it will be more fun.
I would say a bigger problem is certain aspects of the core design, like how there's no reason to really build anything. Hopefully that gets addressed soon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ The same could be said about Terraria, or Minecraft. You don't *need* to build anything other than what lets you craft more (or homes for Terraria NPCs) but that's kinda the point. You build giant kickass castles and SSJ Gokus because you felt like it.

Mining speed being slow is simply brutal and unfun. Anything that makes it worse, especially early on, is going to be a huge turnoff for people. I could understand SuperOreTanium taking awhile to mine with a maxxed out MM but if Picks break quickly now they should tear through early ores and basic stuff like dirt and stone, and the MM should get some decent speed through dirt and stone.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Enemies out of your field of view, even if they are in the darkness, they won't be hit by projectile weapons you shoot. The UFO boss has changed to too hard because you can't hit him half of the time, while he plunks away at you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ The same could be said about Terraria, or Minecraft. You don't *need* to build anything other than what lets you craft more (or homes for Terraria NPCs) but that's kinda the point. You build giant kickass castles and SSJ Gokus because you felt like it
No, not really. Terraria's requirements are barebones since you can just do a brutal apartment building, but still significantly bigger than Starbound's, which has nothing.
More importantly, I'm talking about the fundamental nature of the games, where Terraria (especially due to central storage and magic mirrors) has a solid "home base" that you can build up. In Starbound, that's just the spaceship. The fundamentally nomadic nature of Starbound makes building even more pointless than it is in either of the other games because if you build on a planet you're just bound to leave it eventually.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So, uh, I think it'd be really nice if the quest text for restoring your ship/upgrading the MM got a real overhaul. Like explain what kind of jerry-rigged repair job we're doing that requires chunks of a planet's core, or what we're cramming ingots into our MM for.

Also I'd like to know where I should be looking to get whateverthefuckium crystals for the FTL drive, thanks!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You can always build your base at your home planet, since you can beam down to it even if your ship is parked somewhere else

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Starbound is what taught me not to buy early access, so it's nice to hear that it also taught the devs not to use early access.

gently caress early access.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, uh, I think it'd be really nice if the quest text for restoring your ship/upgrading the MM got a real overhaul. Like explain what kind of jerry-rigged repair job we're doing that requires chunks of a planet's core, or what we're cramming ingots into our MM for.

Also I'd like to know where I should be looking to get whateverthefuckium crystals for the FTL drive, thanks!

The warp drive crystals are the reward for completing the lunar base mission.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ahundredbux posted:

You can always build your base at your home planet, since you can beam down to it even if your ship is parked somewhere else
Oh, I forgot they added that. Yeah, that was a really nice step in the right direction.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The new nightly wiped my save. They're still in the Starbound folder, but now there's a new folder called unstable storage, I tried moving my saves and universe folder into there and I still couldn't get my character to show up. Is there any way to bring my saves into the latest nightly or do I have to restart?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

No, not really. Terraria's requirements are barebones since you can just do a brutal apartment building, but still significantly bigger than Starbound's, which has nothing.
More importantly, I'm talking about the fundamental nature of the games, where Terraria (especially due to central storage and magic mirrors) has a solid "home base" that you can build up. In Starbound, that's just the spaceship. The fundamentally nomadic nature of Starbound makes building even more pointless than it is in either of the other games because if you build on a planet you're just bound to leave it eventually.

this is why the mod that lets you build your ship is the best mod for this game. Making a giant space station full of different exhibits of stuff I looted from various planets is the one thing this game did much better then terraia and minecraft ever will. they should seriously ust scrap the dumb ship upgrading and make the ship building mod standard(or just make an unlockable "custom" option.)

Also while combat is still techically a discussion, are the attack animations really still so stiff? It doesn't look like the character's body moves at all when they're swinging a weapon, which just looks terrible. Even if its just them leaning thier torso forward a pixel while swinging or having their arm recoil from shots, they should be moving somewhat.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Bilal posted:

The new nightly wiped my save. They're still in the Starbound folder, but now there's a new folder called unstable storage, I tried moving my saves and universe folder into there and I still couldn't get my character to show up. Is there any way to bring my saves into the latest nightly or do I have to restart?

I have something to tell you that you should know about nightlies...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Bilal posted:

Starbound's Website posted:

If you choose to switch to the unstable branch, please know that your characters and worlds will not yet be compatible with the latest version of the game. Your old characters and worlds will still be there, but the unstable branch will use a different storage location than the stable branch for the time being, while we work out how to upgrade old characters.

We will try to maintain save file compatibility within unstable as much as possible, but it will depend on what sort of changes we have to make during unstable, so we cant make any promises.

If you are currently running nightly, then you probably already know how everything works already. FYI The unstable branch will use a ‘storage_unstable’ directory while we work on compatibility with stable.
Known Issues:

Nightly and Unstable are currently incompatible until they push a conversion method.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bilal posted:

The warp drive crystals are the reward for completing the lunar base mission.

Wait, how do I do that then? I can't seem to travel to that gate thingy.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, how do I do that then? I can't seem to travel to that gate thingy.

I'm assuming you know how to get to the outpost, but if not what you do is fly to the gate (there should be one in every sector so you won't need fuel to get to it) and "land" on it like a planet, when you beam down to the gate there's a teleporter that takes you to the outpost. There's an NPC inside the outpost that will give you the mission, then you go to the AI on your ship, in the missions tab it will show you the lunar base mission and you teleport directly there, you don't have to fly to it.

Man Whore posted:

I have something to tell you that you should know about nightlies...

I've played the nightlies with the same save through several updates, none of them wiped my save until this one, I thought it was preserving characters between updates now, but I guess not. Not looking forward to redoing all that stuff in unstable so I'll probably just cheat my way through the tutorial the second time around.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

Starbound is what taught me not to buy early access, so it's nice to hear that it also taught the devs not to use early access.

gently caress early access.

just sayin

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Also, Nuclear Throne and Don't Starve were/are pretty great.

However, Godus and Spacebase DF-9.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tengames posted:

this is why the mod that lets you build your ship is the best mod for this game. Making a giant space station full of different exhibits of stuff I looted from various planets is the one thing this game did much better then terraia and minecraft ever will. they should seriously ust scrap the dumb ship upgrading and make the ship building mod standard(or just make an unlockable "custom" option.)

Also while combat is still techically a discussion, are the attack animations really still so stiff? It doesn't look like the character's body moves at all when they're swinging a weapon, which just looks terrible. Even if its just them leaning thier torso forward a pixel while swinging or having their arm recoil from shots, they should be moving somewhat.
I dunno, I'd rather build on a planet than just in a void.

You're dead right about the animations though. I guess Terraria was pretty bad about that too.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tengames posted:

It's how one-dimensional the combat is that gets me. I mean look at Shovel Knight, you have a loving shovel for a weapon and yet the combat in that feels so much more satisfying than anything in Starbound. There's no reason why they couldn't give melee weapons a charge attack, or the guns alternate firing modes that don't use the stupid energy bar, or the staves something other than point and click spells. But instead of actually adding depth to it they're so focused on the numbers, and what little imagination there is goes into monkey cheese poo poo like llamas in hummers and beach balls which nobody gives a gently caress about.

The Kitchen Sink method of game development only works when the game has a clear idea of what it wants to be, aside from "everything".

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This may be a silly question, but does the Unstable work for multiplayer at all?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

It's how one-dimensional the combat is that gets me.
I think you'll find Starbound exists in two dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

it doesn't have a third because it has literally no depth

• Locked thread