Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

It's not exactly a common car, but for reference:

No stress at all in driving something that big and that expensive through a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The RR of that vintage is loving ginormous.

E:

E2: I'd so love to defile one in about 20 years when they're cheaper than a 90s 7 series.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 18, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

that's not fair.

desipte having nearly the exact same footprint, my car is a foot shorter height wise than the rolls, only 5 inches taller than the elise, and that's at stock ride height with 29" tall tires.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 18, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The thing is if I was in a RR, I would want it to be the biggest non-SUV/truck on the road

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

:stonk:

e: mobile posting.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 19, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Diametunim posted:

What tyre pattern and compound is best for de-gloved spectator and gravel?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Diametunim posted:

Fixed.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

El Scotch posted:

No stress at all in driving something that big and that expensive through a city.

Driving your own RR? Your weird.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 19, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

wtf? What year was that? I've never seen that wing before.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
1983 Tyrrell 012 "Boomerang". Ground effect cars were banned after the 1982 season, so in order to reclaim the lost downforce the 1983 F1 designers resorted to the strange rear-wing layouts. The rules at the time restricted the width of the wing behind the rear wheels, but said nothing of the area immediately in front. So the mid-wing was born, and it could be the full with of the car. This is the most extreme example; it did not work very well in practice and was never used in a race.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

That's a tyrrel 012 from the 83 season. The 'boomerang' wing only came out one weekend.

GIS has more images, posting com my phone, otherwise I'd do the heavy lifting.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Haha that is absolutely ridiculous.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That is awesome! I love unconventional race car designs, Chaparral has some of my favorites:

2E

2J

2H

2F

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mmm, old Laguna.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Raluek posted:

London.jpg

cursedshitbox posted:

E:

E2: I'd so love to defile one in about 20 years when they're cheaper than a 90s 7 series.

Even moreso with the middle eastern plates.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Let's not forget

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would be unable to have that in my house because the rods are welded to a cam and it's just wrong.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Having never had the pleasure of messing with such things, would that table be deceptively heavy or deceptively light?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

angryhampster posted:

This is AWESOME

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

El Scotch posted:

who cares, it's the bosses car, you just get paid to drive the drat thing and he has insurance

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryhampster posted:

If you'd have told me this was racing next week only the low nose would have made me wonder, it's amazing and looks like the inspiration for a lot of recent Lamborghinis.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah this just does not look right, the car nerd in me does not approve :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would be okay with it if it was a crankshaft

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

T1g4h posted:

That is awesome! I love unconventional race car designs, Chaparral has some of my favorites:

What is the driver wearing on his face?

I'm sure it must be a rear view mirror at a weird angle, but it looks like his helmet has a silver beak.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

I would be okay with it if it was a crankshaft

I would be too, but I'm guessing it wouldn't work for some reason? Otherwise why would you even do that?

The engine block tables are better anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

What is the driver wearing on his face?

I'm sure it must be a rear view mirror at a weird angle, but it looks like his helmet has a silver beak.

it's like an old school full face helmet. Basically an open face helmet with a large piece of plastic that covers the whole front opening that goes on the helmet like a set of goggles.

the silver bit is the rear view mirror though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Scotch posted:

Having never had the pleasure of messing with such things, would that table be deceptively heavy or deceptively light?

Cams are generally cast iron, but sometimes are cut from steel billet. Pistons are either cast, hypereutectic (also cast, but an extra-fancy alloy generally only used by OEMs,) or forged steel. Rods are generally cast or forged steel.

If you're used to solid wood furniture, it'd be light. If you're used to Ikea poo poo, it'd be heavy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

who cares, it's the bosses car, you just get paid to drive the drat thing and he has insurance

I'm sure it would bode well for your employment not dinging/crashing/smashing the car.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

nice photoshop

and by that, I mean it's really bad

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

MiniFoo posted:

nice photoshop

Hush. I want to know what the puppetshow is. :colbert:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MiniFoo posted:

nice photoshop

and by that, I mean it's really bad

The source image said this was from Catalina Island. Is that wrong?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

MetaJew posted:

The source image said this was from Catalina Island. Is that wrong?

Unless FedEx is too retarded to paint stencils properly, and has discovered a way to make letters float above the surface, yes. It's wrong.

I've never seen a bongo with that short of a wheelbase, but even if the truck actually exists (which I doubt) that bitch ain't a FedEx truck at least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wasabi the J posted:

I wish they did more comparison shots with cars we're really familiar with. I would love a coffee table book of exotic cars next to a Tamry on every page, just to give the reader a sense of scale and proportion, so one may appreciate wonderfully rare cars in a new way.

You'd have to pick a Camry. Even there, the current model is huge compared to the 80s-90s.

cursedshitbox posted:

E:

They are very large in person. We had one in our valet lot once when I happened to go outside. It's like a living room on wheels. It has 20" wheels and 13" rotors and they don't look too big for the car! Damned thing is 20 feet long.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've yet to drive one, but I've been driven around. :v: They're fuckoff huge even compared to some of the bonkers rovers I've created.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Carteret posted:

Unless FedEx is too retarded to paint stencils properly, and has discovered a way to make letters float above the surface, yes. It's wrong.

I've never seen a bongo with that short of a wheelbase, but even if the truck actually exists (which I doubt) that bitch ain't a FedEx truck at least.

Yep. Looks like a whole bunch of photoshops.

Unrelated pictures from Icelandic Transportation Museum in Ystafell, run by a great old guy in a wheel chair over the course of his life. Most vehicles were donated by their Icelandic owners and fixed by him together with friends. The last time I was there they were restoring, or rather re-building a huge old wooden bus which had been used by a parish or similar. Sadly I didn't take any pictures.

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK

Viggen posted:

Hush. I want to know what the puppetshow is. :colbert:

It's probably one of these under cover:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)