Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Whats the best app to use with an ODB2 adapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Muji of all places does a really great ambient white-noise sleep app.

From what I'm told, Rev is supposed to be the best OBD2 app, but at $40 I've never gotten around to trying it out. I use DashCommand and it's worked for me.

ephori fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 23, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I used to really enjoy taking long exposures on my "real" camera. Is that possible with an app on an iPhone, or is it not possible with the hardware?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Look for the app 'slowshutter'.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

I used to really enjoy taking long exposures on my "real" camera. Is that possible with an app on an iPhone, or is it not possible with the hardware?

Or Camera+. The iPhone 5S "shutter" tops out at 1/2s exposure on that app, though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nask26 posted:

Whats the best app to use with an ODB2 adapter?

Related to this question, what's a good ODB2 adapter to purchase that will work well with iOS/iPhones?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

GoodReader is going for £0.99 at the moment.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I got the Automatic car link for Christmas today. Does anyone have any experience using it? It seems to want location services all the time, and I only grant location access to apps when I'm using them for battery savings, not out of privacy concern. Unfortunately my car is in the shop for an extended stay so I won't be able to try it out for at least a week.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Xabi posted:

Why do I have an "edited" folder in my photos app that I can't delete? I know I used iPhoto once to edit some photos and I guess these are the ones. How the hell do I get rid of it?

E: wth there's also a camera uploads folder in there. How do I get rid of it? It's only there on the iPad, not on the iPhone.

No one knows? :(

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Xabi posted:

No one knows? :(

Have you downloaded any photo editing apps lately? Sometimes apps will create their own photo folders.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Not lately, but I did use iPhoto to edit some photos (most likely the ones in that folder, to try it out). I since deleted iPhoto though but the folder is still there in the photos app. Also, the camera uploads folder boggles my mind cos it's not there on the iPhone and I can't seem to find any info when I Google.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nickutz posted:

I got the Automatic car link for Christmas today. Does anyone have any experience using it? It seems to want location services all the time, and I only grant location access to apps when I'm using them for battery savings, not out of privacy concern. Unfortunately my car is in the shop for an extended stay so I won't be able to try it out for at least a week.

I think you have some misconceptions about the way location services work. If you grant it while the app isn't on, it's not running your GPS all the time, just piggybacking off of the stuff the OS does in the background. Like with geofencing.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Maybe that's how it's ideally supposed to work. The NBA Game Time app for non-US customers has some weird glitch where it requires GPS on all the time (it uses that to verify you're actually not in the US) but it actually constantly runs the GPS actively like my cycling app does, and it drains the battery like mad.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I'm a grad student and I just got an iPad and I'm looking for apps for reading (and organizing and taking notes on) journal articles (almost always a pdf). A friend suggested goodreader but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. Ideally I would like to be able annotate, as well as sort based on either year or author (if it can automatically generate that information that would be a plus as usually the default file names from the various websites are rather useless). Anyone have any ideas?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neurostorm posted:

I'm a grad student and I just got an iPad and I'm looking for apps for reading (and organizing and taking notes on) journal articles (almost always a pdf). A friend suggested goodreader but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. Ideally I would like to be able annotate, as well as sort based on either year or author (if it can automatically generate that information that would be a plus as usually the default file names from the various websites are rather useless). Anyone have any ideas?

Good reader is decent. But for annotation I prefer PDF Expert.

However, Good Reader is on sale right now for 80% off.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

flosofl posted:

Good reader is decent. But for annotation I prefer PDF Expert.

However, Good Reader is on sale right now for 80% off.

and it can do so much more than read pdfs that you'd be an idiot not to buy it on the cheap asap.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What else can it do

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Neurostorm posted:

You're going to have to rename poo poo yourself in all the apps.

Let's see:

Goodreader for PDFs,
Dropbox for PDF syncing,
Notability for slideshow notes,
Penultimate for handwriting,
Evernote for typed notes (all things sync to Evernote),
Evernote for research clipping and poo poo,
Google drive for word doc syncing and collaboration/cloud services,
Scanner pro for scanning (sync to Evernote),
Mailbox for email triage,
Fantastical for scheduling
Marvin for epubs, kindle for mobis and textbooks.

The best solution I've found is to use Evernote as an annotated bibliography with a note per project but do your reading in GR. Just dump the PDFs into a note and when you search everything because you forgot where you used a source, you can do that and the article will pop up.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nm

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

ICHIBAHN posted:

What else can it do

A lot but a few things are: save youtube, handle ftp/smb/afp/dropbox/etc, simple text edit (handy for html/etc), play mp3s without having to put them into iTunes, zip and unzip, attach whatever you want to emails... it's pretty much a "& the kitchen sink" file manager with a very solid pdf viewing side as well (does great reflow if your pdfs are ocr'd, for example).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

You're going to have to rename poo poo yourself in all the apps.

Let's see:

Goodreader for PDFs,
Dropbox for PDF syncing,
Notability for slideshow notes,
Penultimate for handwriting,
Evernote for typed notes (all things sync to Evernote),
Evernote for research clipping and poo poo,
Google drive for word doc syncing and collaboration/cloud services,
Scanner pro for scanning (sync to Evernote),
Mailbox for email triage,
Fantastical for scheduling
Marvin for epubs, kindle for mobis and textbooks.

The best solution I've found is to use Evernote as an annotated bibliography with a note per project but do your reading in GR. Just dump the PDFs into a note and when you search everything because you forgot where you used a source, you can do that and the article will pop up.

The only thing I'd disagree with is Notability as there's really no easy way to get handwritten notes into Evernote since there's no native sync. I use Noteshelf, personally. It has a built in Evernote exporter and there's In App purchase to set notebooks created to sync automatically with Evernote as well. You can export as a PDF or a PNG into Evernote which I like. Plus the pen stroke rendering looks so much better in that one.

The only thing I'd recommend, is instead of created a *ton* of notebooks in Evernote, is maybe a adopting a GTD workflow for your notes. Use a hierarchical tag structure and create a bunch of Smart Searches. The cool thing about that is depending on your search criteria, you can pull up items you never would have thought would be related. You would be unlikely to using a plain each-subject-gets-a-notebook.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

slomomofo posted:

A lot but a few things are: save youtube, handle ftp/smb/afp/dropbox/etc, simple text edit (handy for html/etc), play mp3s without having to put them into iTunes, zip and unzip, attach whatever you want to emails... it's pretty much a "& the kitchen sink" file manager with a very solid pdf viewing side as well (does great reflow if your pdfs are ocr'd, for example).

Cool, ta.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have bought VLC way back. It's on my iPad Air. And my iPhone. I know it's not on the store but I thought since it was "purchased" I could download it to my mini?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

So I have bought VLC way back. It's on my iPad Air. And my iPhone. I know it's not on the store but I thought since it was "purchased" I could download it to my mini?

My possibly erroneous understanding is that when a developer removes their app from the store, they're asked whether or not it was removed due to a legal issue. If they say no, people who downloaded previously can still get it. If they say yes, then you can't download it again. I'd imagine the VLC situation qualified as a legal issue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have the .ipa file you can install it to any of your devices with iTunes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

If you have the .ipa file you can install it to any of your devices with iTunes.

Ah so like in my iTunes on my Mac?

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Neurostorm posted:

I use a combination of Dropbox and Goodreader too. I use Papers to organize PDFs on my Mac and have it set up to name files by "[author] [year] [journal] [title]", and the PDFs are all stored in my Dropbox folder. Papers I'm currently looking at are synced through Goodreader Dropbox in a separate "Papers to read" folder and annotated locally in Goodreader, but if I want to look up some random paper, I would go through Dropbox to look up "Doe 2014 Nature" (this means I don't have my entire academic library taking up space on my iPad) and it also integrates well with a quicksearch app like Alfred/Quicksilver because then you can just type in the journal and year if you can't remember anything else and it'll give you most likely what you're looking for.

I think the Papers iPad app also has similar functionality integrated directly into the app if you use it on Mac/PC but I tried it out and wasn't a fan. At the time it was glitchy and had some proprietary highlighting format, although this may have changed by now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

Ah so like in my iTunes on my Mac?

Yeah, which is the best reason to occasionally sync to iTunes to copy all that stuff to your hard drive. You can right click the app icon in iTunes and 'show in finder' to find out where it's stored on your disk to archive it permanently if that's your thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, which is the best reason to occasionally sync to iTunes to copy all that stuff to your hard drive. You can right click the app icon in iTunes and 'show in finder' to find out where it's stored on your disk to archive it permanently if that's your thing.

Thanks. I'll take another stab tomorrow, as I plugged my son's Mini into iTunes (used to be mine back in the day) and the list of apps it wanted to install was 157 long. I just wanted VLC. I marked 150+ apps "will remove" and it still tried to install them all but managed to miss VLC. ( I had definitely selected it..)

Anyway, manually removed all those half-installed apps and am going to connect it to iTunes tomorrow and try again to get JUST VLC on there. Wonder if there is a setting or option I can toggle to make that process simpler.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

letthemreadprose posted:

I use a combination of Dropbox and Goodreader too. I use Papers to organize PDFs on my Mac and have it set up to name files by "[author] [year] [journal] [title]", and the PDFs are all stored in my Dropbox folder. Papers I'm currently looking at are synced through Goodreader Dropbox in a separate "Papers to read" folder and annotated locally in Goodreader, but if I want to look up some random paper, I would go through Dropbox to look up "Doe 2014 Nature" (this means I don't have my entire academic library taking up space on my iPad) and it also integrates well with a quicksearch app like Alfred/Quicksilver because then you can just type in the journal and year if you can't remember anything else and it'll give you most likely what you're looking for.

I think the Papers iPad app also has similar functionality integrated directly into the app if you use it on Mac/PC but I tried it out and wasn't a fan. At the time it was glitchy and had some proprietary highlighting format, although this may have changed by now.

This is all good advice--I personally prefer PDF Expert over Goodreader, but either one + Dropbox is what I'd suggest anyone use.

I really wish there was a version of PDF Expert or Goodreader for Mac that I could easily sync all my highlights and annotations with, but oh well!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
My apologies as I skimmed through the pages trying to see if this question was asked but on my iphone 5s with the latest iOS installed the App store has continually shown the little red bubble saying I need to update apps except the apps are up to date. When I open the app store app it just shows "OPEN" next to the apps listed as they have all been updated. I've tried syncing through itunes, I've reinstalled. It just sits there mocking me with its weird red bubble text. Anyone else have this issue?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

soggybagel posted:

My apologies as I skimmed through the pages trying to see if this question was asked but on my iphone 5s with the latest iOS installed the App store has continually shown the little red bubble saying I need to update apps except the apps are up to date. When I open the app store app it just shows "OPEN" next to the apps listed as they have all been updated. I've tried syncing through itunes, I've reinstalled. It just sits there mocking me with its weird red bubble text. Anyone else have this issue?

Try turning on automatic updates and waiting, or just remove App Store from your notification settings and keep it from creating badges, since it can't be good when given the privilege!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Living Earth, the only weather app besides Weather Underground itself that uses the WU API, is on sale by about 65% for the holidays.

E: drat apparently that sale ended today. I'm still gonna pick it up because it's gonna look great on my 6+ I just know it

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 28, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hmm, is it the THE THE best weather app though?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Is there an app to track all my weather apps?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

What's a good app with basic Photoshop-like features for iPhone? Pixelmator looks good but it's just for iPad. Right now I just need something that lets me blur out portions of a picture, but I'd rather get a general-purpose image editor that can do that than a one-trick app.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bummey posted:

Is there an app to track all my weather apps?
Yes, there is the Appshopper-like Whether? which keeps tabs on all of your weather apps and is able to recommend "whether" or not you should get the THE newest, best weather app, or whether your weather app is still the THE best weather app.

It seems like it is broken in iOS8, because the answers for its recommendations are locked to "no", as is its assessment of your best weather app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We've gone too far off the deep end.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Living Earth, the only weather app besides Weather Underground itself that uses the WU API, is on sale by about 65% for the holidays.

E: drat apparently that sale ended today. I'm still gonna pick it up because it's gonna look great on my 6+ I just know it

BeWeather also uses Weather Underground for it's weather information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

dizzywhip posted:

What's a good app with basic Photoshop-like features for iPhone? Pixelmator looks good but it's just for iPad. Right now I just need something that lets me blur out portions of a picture, but I'd rather get a general-purpose image editor that can do that than a one-trick app.

'Obscura is a one-trick app for blurring/censoring, but it's also free.