Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

I read this when Vice ran it but I'll say it again

the gently caress is going on with his head

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Please, have some civility. This isn't GBS. I'm at work and hung over here. Almost lost my breakfast...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So a gallery in Toronto has bought 17500 Vivian Maier negatives, which is 15% of the total number of negatives - the other 75% is with John Maloof.
Apparently the gallery that bought them can't do anything with them unless Cook County allows them to do something with them.

http://www.streetshootr.com/toronto-gallery-buys-jeffrey-goldsteins-entire-collection-vivian-maier-negatives/

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Good news you guys. Instead of learning how to light properly, just sell all your strobes, underexpose everything then spend 4 hours on each photo in post production :smugdog:

https://fstoppers.com/bts/natural-light-tip-will-have-strobists-selling-their-lights-51206

Y'all just jealous you're not a 'natural light photographer'

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
That's honestly pretty close to how I end up processing most of my photos. Including the hours of post. But not really for any of the reasons listed.

Mostly because I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing and apparently hate myself. And I sure as hell wouldn't write an article advocating that others do it that way.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

William T. Hornaday posted:

That's honestly pretty close to how I end up processing most of my photos. Including the hours of post. But not really for any of the reasons listed.

Mostly because I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing and apparently hate myself. And I sure as hell wouldn't write an article advocating that others do it that way.

If you did write an article would you include your post processing technique instead of useless advice that has nothing to do with the final look?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

red19fire posted:

Good news you guys. Instead of learning how to light properly, just sell all your strobes, underexpose everything then spend 4 hours on each photo in post production :smugdog:

https://fstoppers.com/bts/natural-light-tip-will-have-strobists-selling-their-lights-51206

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Dren posted:

If you did write an article would you include your post processing technique instead of useless advice that has nothing to do with the final look?

He uses dodge and burn mostly, to "shape" the light. It's all about practice.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 27, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I'm a light sculptor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see only light. I only have to remove the extra light that imprisons my subject so I can reveal it to other eyes.

ISO 3200 at 10 seconds for life.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The true mark of a light sculptor is peeing on Winnie the Pooh.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Here's a great example of why the Dorkroom is somehow inexplicably good while other photo forums are such shitshows.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/938129

Photographer throws up a link to Kenny Rogers' photo work. When several people note that it's technically competent but completely unremarkable, the response from others to that is to dismiss them all out of hand because he's probably better than they are. Because you're only allowed to critique someone you are equal to or better than, clearly.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
In the dorkroom everyone sucks and noone is afraid of telling people that they suck. It's kinda nice.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

McMadCow posted:

Here's a great example of why the Dorkroom is somehow inexplicably good while other photo forums are such shitshows.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/938129

Photographer throws up a link to Kenny Rogers' photo work. When several people note that it's technically competent but completely unremarkable, the response from others to that is to dismiss them all out of hand because he's probably better than they are. Because you're only allowed to critique someone you are equal to or better than, clearly.

post that same OP here and see what happens

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Dren posted:

post that same OP here and see what happens

At least a page of Kenny Rogers/Loggins slash fic.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Kenny Rogers used to have his darkroom near my apartment but the red safelight would keep me up at night. I tried to switch with my neighbor from across the hall but things got weird.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

red19fire posted:

That's like, an extremely common way to shoot/edit. So common that I'm surprised anyone would find an article about it remarkable enough to even comment on. It's a lot easier to bring up underexposed areas than it is to bring down overexposed areas and it's really useful for stuff like shooting a darker landscape against a brighter sky. None of those photos necessarily needed to be underexposed, but eh. Also I didn't read the full article because gently caress it, but did he actually say it takes hours to edit? Because nothing he did looks like it took hours. I've spent hours on photos before but it's because they looked like hot, hot garbage OOC and I made them look like some magazine poo poo. I could probably mimic his edits in 10-15 minutes at the absolute most and I'm not great with editing.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think the outrage is from the guy advocating photoshop to 'shape the light' rather than a basic softbox setup. I saw it because Strobist posted it on twitter, he went on a tear last night.

It's also f stoppers, its just clickbait probably written by some unpaid intern.

vvv: Yeah, Im getting a day rate to set up AB lights and tethering with free camera software, not interesting stuff at all. The money is nice but it's boring as poo poo.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 27, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I assisted a "fashion photographer" for a little while after moving to Seattle. She refused to use off camera flash and insisted a gold reflector and a bunch of post was good enough. Nothing wrong with simple set ups but she would use the pop up flash sometimes and I would have to bite my tongue. I quit after coming to realize she was basically just shooting model mayhem bait stuff and not building a business. I don't mind screwing around for fun but if you want me to do pro level first assistant stuff for free I better be learning something or networking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

red19fire posted:

It's also f stoppers, its just clickbait probably written by some unpaid intern.

Where's WEEDLORD BONERHITLER when you need him.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Still better than petapixel and their 27 articles per day about the 5 most inspiring photos of people of New York ever taken (must see!)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
For 2015 I resolve to only ever post positive feedback. :toxx:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Gushing, I hope.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

365 Nog Hogger posted:

see you in 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ric posted:

Gushing, I hope.

You won't be commenting on any of my stuff then.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

365 Nog Hogger posted:

who decides if your feedback is positive or negative? constructive criticism is positive

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
"Nice photograph, it has the composition only a blind clown could love...at the circus...idiot"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

quoting

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

In the dorkroom everyone sucks and noone is afraid of telling people that they suck. It's kinda nice.

In the dorkroom everyone sucks but is also 1000x better than I'll ever be, fml

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
In the dork room everyone sucks but nobody denies it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I resolve to only post poo poo photographs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

I resolve to only post poo poo photographs.

so business as usual?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

In the dork room everyone sucks but nobody denies it.

In dorkroom, no one can hear you critique.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

If a dorkroomer provides critique, does anyone hear it?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bobmarleysghost posted:

If a dorkroomer provides critique, does anyone hear it?

shortbus hears it

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dren posted:

shortbus hears it

and disapproves.

on the topic of dorkroom missed connections, i'm going to be visitng london Jan 2-9 if any of you nerds want to get a pint and maybe find me a studio job so I can get a work visa.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I spent today walking around Denver with my girlfriend (high of 19F, low -6, probably the coldest temps I've ever experienced in my life), and it really drove home the effect of cold on batteries. Fortunately I have like, 7 NEX batteries at this point and was only shooting here and there, but I can only imagine what a PITA it must be for folks. Watched it go from ~90% to "warning" after walking around for an hour and only taking maybe a dozen shots, then up to 63% (probably went higher, I put it away) when I got inside.

I'm enjoying the novelty of snow and cold weather, but man it's gonna be good to get back to FL and kick it in shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
initially I thought you were rating how hot your girlfriend is and it was, to be brutally honest, a brief but grand (misconstrued) high in what ended in being a very droll, unlikable post