Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kvlt! posted:

Anything from Takashi Miike, especially Ichi the Killer and Visitor Q.

Also try I Saw the Devil.

I don't think you realize how many films Takashi Miike has directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Criminal Minded posted:

Crumb, Cutie and the Boxer, F for Fake (works on multiple levels!)

Flipping through older pages, but I just want to say my favorite posts in this thread are ones like this where I've seen and loved two of the movies and never heard of another. Like, this is nothing but a big flashing neon sign for me to see Cutie and the Boxer.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Vegetable posted:

What are some East Asian films that are real good and won't make you fall asleep? We get to select just four films for midnight screenings so we're trying to make it count. It's hard to know where to start.

Chungking Express

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I am looking for the best of the worst of over-the-top high-camp so-bad-it's-good bloody B horror. What's the top of that list?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

I am looking for the best of the worst of over-the-top high-camp so-bad-it's-good bloody B horror. What's the top of that list?

Poultrygeist and Thankskilling.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ProfessorProf posted:

Blood Car.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

Night of the Creeps, Puppetmaster, Night Breed and Basket Case.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

ProfessorProf posted:

The very top of that list is the 1976 classic Bloodsucking Freaks

:nws: Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqBiEROZkA :nws:
:nws: Full Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoXCHuUbIg :nws:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Looking for movies about the British lower class. For example, Attack the Block or Fish Tank are two great, vastly different movies about characters in the council estates in Britain. I'm not looking for any Guy Ritchie-esque movies.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

bowser posted:

Looking for movies about the British lower class. For example, Attack the Block or Fish Tank are two great, vastly different movies about characters in the council estates in Britain. I'm not looking for any Guy Ritchie-esque movies.

This is England

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

bowser posted:

The Selfish Giant.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

bowser posted:

If you're open to documentaries, I'd highly recommend checking out London: The Modern Babylon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trainspotting

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

FrostedButts posted:

Night of the Creeps, Puppetmaster, Night Breed and Basket Case.

Night Breed appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

bowser posted:

Gosford Park.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

bowser posted:

Made in Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXk6xuDMFYQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gosford Park.

Yaws posted:

This is England

Eggnogium posted:

The Selfish Giant.

Seconded all of these. Tyrannosaur as well. I wonder if something like The General counts? You, Me and Marley as well, 24/7, Tower Block is somewhat recent.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

bowser posted:

Red Road is another good film from Andrea Arnold, who directed Fish Tank. The biggest name in British working-class drama films today, including for Arnold, is probably Ken Loach - I'd recommend My Name Is Joe as a starting point and see what you think. I'd also recommend Naked and Secrets & Lies from the great Mike Leigh for drama; Mona Lisa, Get Carter and Neds for crime films that far outdo Guy Ritchie for both verve and authenticity; and Four Lions from Chris Morris for comedy.

There's also Billy Liar and Kes (Loach again) for 1960s British New Wave stuff which pretty much kicked off the trend for realistic depictions of the British working class, although I don't know that era nearly as well as I should.

^^^ The General is brilliant, I'm just ethically obligated to note it is Irish, from an English director. I did already recommend it in relation to British crime dramas in this very thread, and the council estate is a big feature, so obviously I second seeing it. Intermission as well, maybe, for working-class Irish comedy, because otherwise you're travelling a largely bleak path here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Intermission seconded, but purely as a comedy. And probably Colin Farrell's best role, because he's playing a Dublin knacker ie: Himself.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I just watched Enemy, really enjoyed it. Anything else like that?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Earth vs. the Spider?

More seriously, there is a way to read Nightcrawler a little bit that way, although Nightcrawler lacks the visual style and the dreamlike confusion. Eyes Wide Shut is an obvious one if you haven't seen it, especially as it deals with the same theme. Probably a fair amount of David Lynch works if you want a little more surrealism.

You might also like Michael Haneke's movies - there's something vaguely similar in them. The White Ribbon would be a good start.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 14, 2014

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I really loved Nightcrawler. I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut, but I might check it out. I love most David Lynch stuff, but I've seen most of it. The White Ribbon sounds good but I really haven't been into foreign language films lately.

What I enjoyed about Enemy was the overall pace and surreal vibes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bowser posted:

NAKED

Trollipop posted:

I really loved Nightcrawler. I haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut, but I might check it out. I love most David Lynch stuff, but I've seen most of it. The White Ribbon sounds good but I really haven't been into foreign language films lately.

What I enjoyed about Enemy was the overall pace and surreal vibes.

NAKED

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mike Leigh's best.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Oh yeah I forgot about Naked, it' s a masterpiece. Watch all of Mike Leigh's films he's pretty much the greatest living British filmmaker.

Here's a great one with another early performance by Tim Roth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJE3zlyRhhE

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm interested in 60-70's exploitation films. I'm not real picky about the subject matter or how low-budget/chessy it is.

Switchblade Sisters is a good example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yaws posted:

I'm interested in 60-70's exploitation films. I'm not real picky about the subject matter or how low-budget/chessy it is.

Foxy Brown or Coffy

Also Blackula, but only so CPL isn't the first to say it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yaws posted:

Foxy Brown/Coffy. Also, Mandingo.

edit; Shaft.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 20, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

second-hand smegma posted:

Foxy Brown/Coffy. Also, Mandingo.

I want to kiss you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Awww. :bigtran:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anybody have any good gritty crime dramas that are more small "hood" crime than like mafia gangsters/organized crime? Think movies like Out of the Furnace, Killing them Softly or The Place Beyond the Pines

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

Anybody have any good gritty crime dramas that are more small "hood" crime than like mafia gangsters/organized crime? Think movies like Out of the Furnace, Killing them Softly or The Place Beyond the Pines

Going off that list I am sure you would be into Animal Kingdom. I'd also suggest the Pusher trilogy, Sexy Beast, and La Haine for more modern European efforts, and Get Carter, Blue Collar, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie ('78 cut) and The Friends of Eddie Coyle for classic 70s-era - they're all set in scuzzy low-level criminal underworlds featuring chain-reaction type plots, which I am all about. Eddie Coyle is even from the same author as Cogan's Trade, the source material for Killing Them Softly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GimpChimp posted:

Going off that list I am sure you would be into Animal Kingdom. I'd also suggest the Pusher trilogy, Sexy Beast, and La Haine for more modern European efforts, and Get Carter, Blue Collar, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie ('78 cut) and The Friends of Eddie Coyle for classic 70s-era - they're all set in scuzzy low-level criminal underworlds featuring chain-reaction type plots, which I am all about. Eddie Coyle is even from the same author as Cogan's Trade, the source material for Killing Them Softly.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is so loving good. Watch any version. Watch all versions.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

second-hand smegma posted:

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is so loving good. Watch any version. Watch all versions.

Yeah, I do have to agree. I still say the 78 cut for starters, if only because in the 76 version the extended club performances scenes were a loving trial, and I didn't think that would be possible to say of a stage show presented by a little fey squat dude in a top hat called Mr. Sophistication. But there's a number of great scenes lost from the original and in any case it's fun and cool to be able to compare the edits.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

This is a little scattershot, but:
Drive, The Lookout, Out of Sight, Jackie Brown, Killer Joe, Point Blank, Payback (either version, but I think the directors cut is a little better), No Country for Old Men, and about fifty different noir films.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone.

What are some films about loneliness/isolation? I've seen Taxi Driver and Moon. The more depressing the better.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone.

What are some films about loneliness/isolation? I've seen Taxi Driver and Moon. The more depressing the better.

Wrt isolation, there was a discussion a couple weeks ago on that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186285&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=121#post437621072

I'd also add Paris, Texas to that list for loneliness

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Allyn posted:

Wrt isolation, there was a discussion a couple weeks ago on that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186285&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=121#post437621072

I'd also add Paris, Texas to that list for loneliness

Wow and I even commented on it, I swear I've had one too many concussions. Thanks man.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In addition to Paris, Texas, there's also Don't Look Back from Wim Wenders too.

Another one that, while not great, really nails loneliness and isolation, would be I'm the Same, I'm an Other - a really quiet and spare story about a guy unfit to take care of a young girl sort of forced into that situation. There's a lot of focus on the girl as well. It's the middle of a planned trilogy — I haven't seen the first part, but in that one [Lost Persons Area] there are likely similar themes. If you only watch the second one, it may help to know it picks up about where the first ends: her parents kill themselves and the guy is a family friend with no idea how to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kangra posted:

In addition to Paris, Texas, there's also Don't Look Back from Wim Wenders too.

Is that the right title? I can't find any film by him under that name. Have only seen Paris, Texas but loved it so much that I should really check out some other stuff of his as a matter of urgency, really :)

• Locked thread