Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I gotta say, I have no idea how you can say Suikoden V was empty, plain, had no lie and didn't look like it took advantage of the PS2 and praise Suikoden III of all games. I mean I don't dislike Suikoden III but it was a pretty bad looking game even for the time.

I would say S5 is better looking technologically, but IMHO 3 is ahead in design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

I would say S5 is better looking technologically, but IMHO 3 is ahead in design.

You can certainly argue the designs but Suikoden III had a lot of problems due to being their first really attempt at a 3D one. The thing that really stands out is that the model animation is crazy stiff and awkward even for a PS2 game. It has incredibly stiff movements, does a poor job with body language (especially in combat, which is an area other Suikoden game excel in), and in general everyone looks like an awkward marionette even by the PS2 standard of awkward marionettes being the norm.

You can see it really clearly when you compare the combat screens between games,

(I still think Suikoden 2 looks the best of the lot, mind.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 20, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I like Suikoden III. I'm just saying that you're praising the graphics of it in comparison to Suikoden V and that seems like it's misremembering just how SIII looked.

In terms of straight up graphics S5 is more impressive by virtue of being later in the console's lifecycle, but I really do feel like the art design and general aesthetic of Suikoden III is more impressive and engaging than Suikoden V. The latter just didn't have as much heart in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

In terms of straight up graphics S5 is more impressive by virtue of being later in the console's lifecycle, but I really do feel like the art design and general aesthetic of Suikoden III is more impressive and engaging than Suikoden V. The latter just didn't have as much heart in it.

I've got the art books for every Suikoden game and I guess I'm not seeing "as much heart." I'm certainly not going to argue which aesthetic you like more but it feels weird to me to argue that SV had less heart in its character designs or backgrounds when there is a whole hell of a lot of work put into some of them,.

Edit: Honestly "lack of heart" is one of the last things I'd say about SV. It is a game that could have used an editor rather then them trying to put everything they wanted to in a single game. It certainly didn't feel like a perfunctory attempt to make people happy the way SIV did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just look at all the expressions in the cutscenes in S5 and tell me it doesn't have heart. Lym's faces are amazing.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

(I still think Suikoden 2 looks the best of the lot, mind.)

For sure. I think Suikoden 2 still looks gorgeous, though I recognize some part of that is influenced by nostalgia. I really do think the sprite graphics of Suikoden 2 hold up way better over time than the 3D of S3~5.

For reference: Suikoden 2 is 16 years old, Suikoden 3 is 12 years old, and Suikoden 5 is 8 years old.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having played both relatively recently (last 3 years) I would definitely give the nod to V for art design/direction/aesthetics. III was kind of an ugly and clumsy game in just about every respect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

For sure. I think Suikoden 2 still looks gorgeous, though I recognize some part of that is influenced by nostalgia. I really do think the sprite graphics of Suikoden 2 hold up way better over time than the 3D of S3~5.

For reference: Suikoden 2 is 16 years old, Suikoden 3 is 12 years old, and Suikoden 5 is 8 years old.

I certainly agree there. I think sprite graphics in general hold up better for a variety of reasons.

The PS2 era had extremely stiff character models. It wasn't until the last part of the generation that they really got a good handle on making things move around and even then it was sort of touch-and-go. In comparison sprite graphics are a lot more emotive and expressive even when they're simple.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't remember much about playing Suikoden 3 at all except the music, which was really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQOJuj4ZaZo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Suikoden III looked like poo poo when it was new and it has hardly aged well since. The game did some interesting things but it didn't feel like Suikoden to me. 2 is still the best by a ridiculous margin and has aged really well. The first has too, though it's a bit more basic. Suikoden V was a great nod to the older games but nothing beats the first duology.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I enjoyed Operation Darkness

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

BloodWulfe posted:

Also I'll continue to recommend Suikoden Tierkreis, but just as JRPG and not as a Suikoden game. I feel it's a perfectly serviceable, albeit bland and cliche, JRPG, if you can check any expectations of it being a Suikoden game at the door.

Yeah, you're right. We might like it.

We never know until we try.

:suicide:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

corn in the bible posted:

I legitimately did, too. It was incredibly clunky and started off really slow, but then batshit crazy stuff started happening and I couldn't put it down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wouldn't say OD is good but I enjoyed it once you could start punching tanks to death.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

corn in the bible posted:

It's an odd game and some of the mechanics are counterintuitive but like ImpAtom said, once you start punching Tanks and Godzilla apart, there's some real charm there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Operation Darkness was my favorite anime videogame adaption of the hit DC property Creature Commandos. Also Liam O'Brien was Herbert West The Re-Animator and that poo poo was amazing.

More games should, instead of being plucky Allies faced with the hellspawned abominations of the Third Reich, let you play as b movie monsters in world war 2 because even Dracula Hates Hitler.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Operation Darkness was my favorite anime videogame adaption of the hit DC property Creature Commandos. Also Liam O'Brien was Herbert West The Re-Animator and that poo poo was amazing.

More games should, instead of being plucky Allies faced with the hellspawned abominations of the Third Reich, let you play as b movie monsters in world war 2 because even Dracula Hates Hitler.

Hey now, be fair. Dracula was on Hitler's side in OD.

Now Jack the Ripper? He totally was anti-Hitler.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ImpAtom posted:

Exactly, which is why Operation Darkness didn't go quite far enough. I want the newest Wolfenstein style of Third Reich full of wunderwaffen techno gizmos except the good old US of A lets the boys from Miskatonic summon up being from beyond the stars to join Baba Yaga and The Mummy on D-Day.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I love Operation Darkness because it's basically Dead Snow the video game. I know Dead Snow came after Operation Darkness, but my point still stands: nazi zombie goofiness.

e:
Also Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brien both are major voice actors in it, which is cool with me. It's only missing Crispin Freeman for the trifecta.

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 21, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just wish the game wasn't quite so punishing to play but it does a lot of things right. It's probably the largest scale SRPG around. Maps are huge and movement ranges are too. The weight system is a bit weird in that foregoing guns seems to be the way to go for most characters (the werewolves anyway). There's a nugget of an amazing game there. One of your squad members is literally Frankenstein's Monster.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm a little late to Suikochat, but I would like to point out that Suikoden V has Haud, and Suikoden III doesn't. In light of being reminded of this, I think we can all agree V is the superior.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Suikoden V had the nakedest Jeane, while III had the classiest one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Well Jack the Ripper was jewish, so it kinda made sense for him to be anti-hitler.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm a little late to Suikochat, but I would like to point out that Suikoden V has Haud, and Suikoden III doesn't. In light of being reminded of this, I think we can all agree V is the superior.

Counterpoint: Suikoden IV has Schtolteheim Reinbach III.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BloodWulfe posted:

Counterpoint: Suikoden IV has Schtolteheim Reinbach III.

Countercounterpoint: Suikoden IV sucks and not even he could redeem that game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wendell posted:

Suikoden V had the nakedest Jeane, while III had the classiest one.

so we agree 5 is better

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tactics is better than 3 or 5

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
4 is worse than all of them and 5 is better than 3

tactics is hardly playable

please stop posting ironically everyone

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my opinions aren't ironic, just really bad

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The best final fantasy was mystic quest.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
:objection:

Final Fantasy Tactics was the best.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'll fuckin fight you.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I just don't understand why anyone cares about Suikoden after II at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

3 and 5 had their good points, regardless of what you think about them as a whole.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Francis posted:

They are still fun games. They just didn't really hold their momentum after II.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

4 is worse than all of them and 5 is better than 3

tactics is hardly playable

please stop posting ironically everyone

i liked tactics a lot, whatever the hell you think

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't say OD is good but I enjoyed it once you could start punching tanks to death.

it is a badly designed game that i had a lot of fun playing, ergo it was a good game after all

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I liked Tactics too but I was wondering if it's just because I like nearly every SRPG that I stumble onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Endorph posted:

3 and 5 had their good points, regardless of what you think about them as a whole.

I liked 5, but I couldn't get behind 3.