Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
elastic search does still have its uses though and it's definitely nice for ISTPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

echinopsis posted:

fog is stupid as poo poo. this idea might NOT be. need a mechanic that makes this game a bit more interesting long term

heh ripped straight off mincecraft, that notch mother fucker is going to pay!

imagine this, but multiplayer. epic

hey echi you should play through sub-terrania on md/gen if you want ideas for stuff to do in a gravity-rocket-shooter game, there's at least one cool unique mission every stage

(probably quit when you get to the water stages tho, they're long on bullshit and short on fun ideas)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo people who have played my game say it's hard to control that game looks fuckin mental, my gave is far more forgiving

at the moment I am torn between focusing on single player adventure and potentially making it a bit sandboxy :/ constructing a show-off vid to drum up support and might do a kicks starter to alow me to buy Mac to
compile on Mac :]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

f u c k s a n d b o x e s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yeah please give your game a point. sandbox games are only really fun when there's also an enemy to go up against or a goal to achieve, like so you get the chance to see how well your inventions perform.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
in other news, today i ran into one of the high school kids on the robotics team. he was riding to school on some kind of homemade moped bicycle contraption with an unmufflered chainsaw engine connected to the rear wheel, brapapappapapapapapappapaa BRAAAAAAAAAA the whole way. he had his competition robot strapped to the back with duct tape, batteries and wires hanging off everywhere. when a ton of the team is mostly into poo poo like pokemon and my little pony and reddit, seeing kids doing this in their spare time makes me happy.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

yeah please give your game a point. sandbox games are only really fun when there's also an enemy to go up against or a goal to achieve, like so you get the chance to see how well your inventions perform.

I've added a block placing mechanic ala minecraft and it's kinda cool but I'm thinking make it "expensive" to do so so the player can build mini structures around the level but the idea might be suck and might suit a new different game altogether and remove it from this game altogether

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

I've added a block placing mechanic ala minecraft and it's kinda cool but I'm thinking make it "expensive" to do so so the player can build mini structures around the level but the idea might be suck and might suit a new different game altogether and remove it from this game altogether

don't add sandbox elements because if you open that door people will just demand more and more sandboxable elements and you will be making minecraft

gently caress the player's special snowflake creative dreams - this is your opportunity to show us what your vision is.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cocoa Crispies posted:

mysql is just as hard to set up as postgres, and postgres has working full-text search so you don't need broken garbage like elasticsearch

whoa i didn't know postgres could do fulltext. that's cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

don't add sandbox elements because if you open that door people will just demand more and more sandboxable elements and you will be making minecraft

gently caress the player's special snowflake creative dreams - this is your opportunity to show us what your vision is.

good points and encouragement towards doing somehting worthwhile and pure but see

my visiion? welp, i kinda already hit that. im just making poo poo up now. i think "would this be fun", gently caress around and if it is or not well i move depending. placing blocks in the game is kinda fun so im not going to abandon the idea but its definitely going to be an additional game mechanic certainly not a main one, and ultiamtely my vision? is to be able to do this poo poo for a job.. if that means accepting billions like notch, i will reluctantly sell out to do so. if making the game a bit more mass appeal so that more people maybe pay me money and i can get enough money to quit jobs.. im not oging to be concerend and i can chase my true pure vision later

richard branson started out sucking transvestite dick. i am in that phase

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

If you hit your vision then post the kickstarter, Polish it up, and make some money. I would pay money for your game. Adding sandbox bullshit is not the answer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i am curerntly kinda working on a presentable set of vids /gifs etc for a kicksharter but i will take your points on board

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is the world alterable at all? make it a sandbox but require gameplay to accomplish it, like make it possible to blow holes in the terrain but you can't just click with some stupid fist icon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

i am curerntly kinda working on a presentable set of vids /gifs etc for a kicksharter but i will take your points on board

don't put it on loving kickstarter dude

here's what you do

register a digitalocean for 5 bucks

create a crude html page with no background color
put up a paypal

allow ppl to send money orders
make it old school

start viral spamming it as underground hit
attract the hipsters

the lovely normal crowdsource model is boring and lame

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

do it get the mac

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

is the world alterable at all? make it a sandbox but require gameplay to accomplish it, like make it possible to blow holes in the terrain but you can't just click with some stupid fist icon

not at all. all i did was add a block adding mechanic. so far thats ALL

this game could be quite fun mutliplayer. being able to add blocks in those instances i feel could be quite fun.

heres an edited vid i made showing off adding blocks amonsgt other things
god that youtube quiality sure is poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0kEBMqfYg
ugh that quality https://mega.co.nz/#!7NxBFJ4B!f2jCNd8WKtGp2mJIPUaMdw9hB1Z-QdVJjR5oFTZsiOM dowbnload 100mb vid its much nicer

Jonny 290 posted:

don't put it on loving kickstarter dude

here's what you do

register a digitalocean for 5 bucks

create a crude html page with no background color
put up a paypal

allow ppl to send money orders
make it old school

start viral spamming it as underground hit
attract the hipsters

the lovely normal crowdsource model is boring and lame

intriguing ideas. atm i am all about making money NOW not when its finished. i want the money so i can quit the job. i know its unlikey i would ever make enough, but one can dream right. you dreamed of a haus bus before you got one?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

do it get the mac

id ge mac mini and use pc keybardo, and my tv as a monitor

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
maybe like have a versus thing where you can place blocks on the other guy's thing and he needs to get to the objective as fast as possible, then he puts obstacles on yours or some poo poo? youd have to have an algo that would detect if the path was completely blocked tho and prevent that from happening. agree with jonny that you need to have a goal or objective or some sort of actual gameplay to make it a game and not a toy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

intriguing ideas. atm i am all about making money NOW not when its finished. i want the money so i can quit the job. i know its unlikey i would ever make enough, but one can dream right. you dreamed of a haus bus before you got one?

putting upt he page with a donation link is far more likely to make you money right now than any kickstarter

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

id ge mac mini and use pc keybardo, and my tv as a monitor

this is halal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

agree with jonny that you need to have a goal or objective or some sort of actual gameplay to make it a game and not a toy

fair enough. curerntly is very much a toy. the content will be the make or break and will also be the hard part

Sagebrush posted:

putting upt he page with a donation link is far more likely to make you money right now than any kickstarter

why do you say that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the kickstarter bideo jame bubble popped, early access scams on steam greenlight are where it's at

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
interesting.......

https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/rod-rocket

INTRO MUSIC? or background game music on repeat. would give brutal vibe

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 19, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

surely the route is 2 work out how to extract money from goons

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

u need the weirdo star citizen thing but 4 this

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
star citizen is sold out of the $2500 ship that doesnt exist in anything except concept art yet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wesley snypes posted:

star citizen is sold out of the $2500 ship that doesnt exist in anything except concept art yet.

hahahaha

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

f u c k s a n d b o x e s

fucks and boxes sounds like a p good game

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

metal gear solid 6

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Why do you think BioWare is so successful?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wesley snypes posted:

im in the wrong business!!!!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i wanted to try out d3js, but then found c3js and got sidetracked. i have at the minute a script that scrapes the data i need, sends it to my web server to store it, the github page then retrieves it and plugs it into the visualisatio http://valeyard.github.io/ ,ive got a few things to do before im done messing around with that

so at the moment i just need to hit 1 button to refresh the stats, which is good

im gonna change the chart so it shows all the main forums, and then when you click each slice of the pie it opens up a secondary chart with the stats for that forum. so click on gbs and it brings up a new chart showing the distribution of people in gbs/front page discussion/EN

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 20, 2014

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

cool maybe someone could write a one button script to delete your posts and shadow ban you from YOSPOS

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
thanks for your input, as long as graph is around i think it would be impossible for me to not notice being shaddowbanned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Valeyard posted:

i wanted to try out d3js, but then found c3js and got sidetracked. i have at the minute a script that scrapes the data i need, sends it to my web server to store it, the github page then retrieves it and plugs it into the visualisatio http://valeyard.github.io/ ,ive got a few things to do before im done messing around with that

so at the moment i just need to hit 1 button to refresh the stats, which is good

im gonna change the chart so it shows all the main forums, and then when you click each slice of the pie it opens up a secondary chart with the stats for that forum. so click on gbs and it brings up a new chart showing the distribution of people in gbs/front page discussion/EN

epic

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
lol is someone griefing valeyard on github

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

holy crap someone made a KSP serial communication library and someone else wrote a C library for AVR chips to go with it

at last, I will have my big red stage separation button

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i'm not really sure waht this graph is showing since it isnt labeled but i'm pretty sure that i can infer from it that games is the 1st largest forum and dandd is the 4th.

i'm not sure which one i find more distrubing

wait where the heck is yospos??

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 21, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm not really sure waht this graph is showing since it isnt labeled but i'm pretty sure that i can infer from it that games is the 1st largest forum and dandd is the 4th.

i'm not sure which one i find more distrubing

wait where the heck is yospos??

visit the site again (do a ctrl+f5 refresh just in case) and then click on any of the slices

the numbers are messed up and not properly representative at the moment

the first main pie shows just the viewers in each of the top level forums

then you click each one and it shows a comparison of, for example, the users in SHSC vs YOSPOS vs Tech Support vs COBOL (although COBOL is hosed up because its the only subforum that has another subforum of its own)

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lol games