Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pneub posted:

Is Spaceballs in the EU? Because 80% of that was pretty lovely too.

Spaceballs was awesome, especially Pizza the Hut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Who has longer range weapons, Star Wars or Star Trek? Both series seem to require that you close to within a few kilometers to be in firing range of another ship so you can actually see ships maneuver around each other and stuff. No one is accelerating 20 kg metal bricks to 8% of light speed to create space mushroom clouds from 800,000 km away because :pcgaming: SPACE LASERS! :pcgaming:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

Who has longer range weapons, Star Wars or Star Trek? Both series seem to require that you close to within a few kilometers to be in firing range of another ship so you can actually see ships maneuver around each other and stuff. No one is accelerating 20 kg metal bricks to 8% of light speed to create space mushroom clouds from 800,000 km away because :pcgaming: SPACE LASERS! :pcgaming:

lasers are lame as poo poo imo need more mass accelerators

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheSpiritFox posted:

They waste all this time trying to cook up biogenic weapons and red matter and poo poo to destroy entire planets when crashing a ship the size of the Enterprise at light speed into a planet would easily be enough to make it uninhabitable.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

lasers are lame as poo poo imo need more mass accelerators

Mass accelerators are illegal lol

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that they don't actually use lasers, they use high energy projectile weapons that explode on impact, thus the name blasters.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

TheSpiritFox posted:

I think most Star Trek fights are supposed to be taking place with the ships hundreds of kilometers apart, but that would look stupid on tv so they just show them right next to each other because gently caress it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder how you'd even defend against a loving mass accelerator without using that cheap "lol I got kinetic shields that make the thing that was going at 90% lightspeed go really slow" bullshit everyone uses in sci-fi.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder how you'd even defend against a loving mass accelerator without using that cheap "lol I got kinetic shields that make the thing that was going at 90% lightspeed go really slow" bullshit everyone uses in sci-fi.

When you're at space distances it's actually not difficult at all to

it's not like casually accelerating projectiles to .9c is some carefully reasoned, grittily realistic hard sci-fi scenario tho so magic shields work too

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 21, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that they don't actually use lasers, they use high energy projectile weapons that explode on impact, thus the name blasters.

It is but I like saying :pcgaming:SPACE LASERS!:pcgaming:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I clicked on the legends explanation on wookieepedia and sure enough there's a lengthy explanation about it that is probably longer than the theological apocrypha slap fights that's been going on for hundreds of years

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

drat... I think star wars might be bad...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Elukka posted:

Why would you go back to Hoth? There is absolutely nothing there, it was a useless uninhabited planet which is the entire reason the rebels picked it for their base and that base was evacuated- oh, of course, it was in the movies. Naturally it's an extremely important planet.

Please tell this to whichever jackoff working at Bioware thought that Hoth should be the place for a major battlefield in The Old Republic MMO.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

When you're at space distances it's actually not difficult at all to

it's not like casually accelerating projectiles to .9c is some carefully reasoned, grittily realistic hard sci-fi scenario tho so magic shields work too

The solution to that is to shotgun blast a cloud of about 20kg masses at about 5-10% lightspeed. For that matter a blast of dust or just particles might do the trick. Each ship would fire once and the winner would be whoever fired first and then managed to dodge . Space combat would be so boring.

Assuming like you said that accelerating masses to a percentage of light speed under battle conditions would even be possible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Please tell this to whichever jackoff working at Bioware thought that Hoth should be the place for a major battlefield in The Old Republic MMO.

lol is this actually in the game.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

http://www.swtor.com/holonet/planets/hoth

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

The solution to that is to shotgun blast a cloud of about 20kg masses at about 5-10% lightspeed. For that matter a blast of dust or just particles might do the trick. Each ship would fire once and the winner would be whoever fired first and then managed to dodge . Space combat would be so boring.

Assuming like you said that accelerating masses to a percentage of light speed under battle conditions would even be possible.

Space distances here being hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of miles, otherwise you'd just walk over to the other guy and shoot him with a normal gun on the planet you both share; how many 20kg projectiles are you planning to fire so that odds are against whatever you're shooting fitting inside the gap between projectiles at the target, and if you can shoot a huge fuckload of space-grapeshot so fast it doesn't take weeks to get over to the other guy without blowing up your spaceship in the process why can't he use the same technology to just move out of the way? Like, even with the propulsion technology we've got now you'd have to try very, very hard to get hit by a Mars rocket coming at you a few orders of magnitude faster than we can actually accelerate anything right now, or even a hundred Mars rockets, there's no reason for that to change.

IRL space combat would have no actual spaceships cause they're super hard to hit at anything short of lightspeed but for the price of one manned spaceship with one missile/spacegun you could just build dozens of unmanned space ICBMs and launch them from the ground at whatever thing on the ground on another planet you wanted hosed up. There's a reason we haven't gone to war with the Martians yet it'd loving suck.

If you really wanted to blow up a spaceship and not just its launchpad + everyone the crew of the spaceship ever cared about you could use guided missiles that'd actually follow the moving target when it's right up in its business, or cap Captain Kirk with a laser if you made a giant honking laser that'd reach, cause while it'd still take all day to get over to him he wouldn't be able to see it coming and react appropriately. Dumb kinetic weapons are no good for stuff that can move unpredictably though and a guidance system that can survive being accelerated to near-lightspeed is a whole other layer of magitech that changes everything.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 21, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's in the loving EU and TOR is a smorgasbord of everything in the EU of loving course you go to Hoth and it's super important because of reasons.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Space distances here being hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of miles, otherwise you'd just walk over to the other guy and shoot him with a normal gun on the planet you both share; how many 20kg projectiles are you planning to fire so that odds are against whatever you're shooting fitting inside the gap between projectiles at the target, and if you can shoot a huge fuckload of space-grapeshot so fast it doesn't take weeks to get over to the other guy without blowing up your spaceship in the process why can't he use the same technology to just move out of the way? Like, even with the propulsion technology we've got now you'd have to try very, very hard to get hit by a Mars rocket coming at you a few orders of magnitude faster than we can actually accelerate anything right now, or even a hundred Mars rockets, there's no reason for that to change.

IRL space combat would have no actual spaceships cause they're super hard to hit at anything short of lightspeed but for the price of one manned spaceship with one missile/spacegun you could just build dozens of unmanned space ICBMs and launch them from the ground at whatever thing on the ground on another planet you wanted hosed up. There's a reason we haven't gone to war with the Martians yet it'd loving suck.

If you really wanted to blow up a spaceship and not just its launchpad + everyone the crew of the spaceship ever cared about you could use guided missiles that'd actually follow the moving target when it's right up in its business, or cap Captain Kirk with a laser if you made a giant honking laser that'd reach, cause while it'd still take all day to get over to him he wouldn't be able to see it coming and react appropriately. Dumb kinetic weapons are no good for stuff that can move unpredictably though and a guidance system that can survive being accelerated to near-lightspeed is a whole other layer of magitech that changes everything.

The sperg is strong with this one.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Long story short, just use :pcgaming:SPACE LASERS!:pcgaming:.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hoth is noveria

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Pneub posted:

Long story short, just use :pcgaming:SPACE LASERS!:pcgaming:.

The Navy has those now, so... America, gently caress yeah?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

if we can post dumb fan poo poo there is a dude who has been working on a str wars fan movie for ten years of his life and last time i looked the facebook page/twitter/whatever had under a hundred followers even though his movie was talked about in another movie (Jedi Junkies, a film about sta wars spergs).

It was called "Tremors of the Force" if you feel like laughing/feeling introspective and sad

Ten years of the life for which you only get one spent on star wars fan film

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Calico Heart posted:

if we can post dumb fan poo poo there is a dude who has been working on a str wars fan movie for ten years of his life and last time i looked the facebook page/twitter/whatever had under a hundred followers even though his movie was talked about in another movie (Jedi Junkies, a film about sta wars spergs).

It was called "Tremors of the Force" if you feel like laughing/feeling introspective and sad

fan films are the saddest loving thing, it's basically everybody involved admitting that they can't hack it in the real world so instead they ride the coattails of a popular thing in exchange for never being able to profit off of or even officially show the drat thing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Calico Heart posted:

I am going to imagine this is a star wars / tremors crossover and please do not correct me.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Tremors of the force is a good enough star wars name to be a prequel

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

...of SCIENCE! posted:

fan films are the saddest loving thing, it's basically everybody involved admitting that they can't hack it in the real world so instead they ride the coattails of a popular thing in exchange for never being able to profit off of or even officially show the drat thing

The longest fictional work in the English language is a Smash Bros fan fiction.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The longest fictional work in the English language is a Smash Bros fan fiction.

Lets not forget the bible now :smugdog:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bible is about 800,000 words long.

The fan fiction in question clocks in at 3.5 million.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Wait are you serious

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Bible is about 800,000 words long.

The fan fiction in question clocks in at 3.5 million.

Based on what I've seen of fanfics that I've read out of morbid curiosity (like the one about silver the hedgehog working at pizza hutt), I'm unsurprised.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

Wait are you serious

Very.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Lol silver the hedgehog, slingin dough and poppin 'ronis

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's buzzfeed but an interview with the guy who wrote the fanfic

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/meet-the-college-junior-behind-the-longest-fan-fiction-ever

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Don Gato posted:

It's in the loving EU and TOR is a smorgasbord of everything in the EU of loving course you go to Hoth and it's super important because of reasons.

I don't mind them picking one seemingly unimportant planet and having it be disproportionately important. For example, Tattooine. Or Dagobah. It's when they have more than one that it becomes blatant attempts to cash in on famous locations as opposed to having to create your own.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
iirc half the planets you go to in TOR were from the movies and they were all super important for reasons. Outside of the agent storyline the game was like a Best Of The EU collection. And the agent storyline probably doesn't hold up on it's own it was just way better than everything else around it so it seemed really good in comparison.

dog buttz posted:

(like the one about silver the hedgehog working at pizza hutt)

like, i want to see this but on the other hand i don't. does he work in a restaurant or for pizza the hutt?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Don Gato posted:

iirc half the planets you go to in TOR were from the movies and they were all super important for reasons. Outside of the agent storyline the game was like a Best Of The EU collection. And the agent storyline probably doesn't hold up on it's own it was just way better than everything else around it so it seemed really good in comparison.

like, i want to see this but on the other hand i don't. does he work in a restaurant or for pizza the hutt?

He works in the restaurant for some crocodile boss who, while pretty nice, is condescending and incompetent. Shadow often comes in to humiliate, emasculate, and frustrate Silver with ridiculous orders that Silver HAS to fill. Characters such as sonic, wario, maria, bowser, etc. often guest star as customers.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

darkwasthenight posted:

Look at this scrub trying to make up ridiculous EU stories and forgetting that there is always a deeper rabbit hole: Of course there's a Sith wampa.

Wolfsheim posted:

While you're joking, there is an EU story where Luke has to return to Hoth years later for some reason and meets up with that very same wampa, who both remembers him and seeks revenge :angel:
of course there is :ughh:

just goes to show the most ridiculous ideas will at least partially be authentic EU ideas

if not that, then a mildly-amusing Robot Chicken sketch

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

I am going to imagine this is a star wars / tremors crossover and please do not correct me.

Same this is only acceptable if there's a jedi graboid whose mouth tentacles each have a lightsaber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
onderon & dxun are objectively cool as poo poo

• Locked thread