Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh what the gently caress

I have to walk on the damage tiles to get 100% Map Completion? What is this, Etrian Odyssey II? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh what the gently caress

I have to walk on the damage tiles to get 100% Map Completion? What is this, Etrian Odyssey II? :argh:

Theo can make Winged Boots, which negate floor damage for 30 steps, for 150 yen from drops on the first floor you find damage tiles on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

OR JUST STEP ON THEM LIKE A MAN

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

OR JUST STEP ON THEM LIKE A MAN

Also that. The first ones in the Group Date Cafe are just 5% SP off each step I think?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dunno the percentage but you're right in that they only do SP damage. Kinda annoying but not a massive issue.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of an issue! These monsters are beating the poo poo out of the P3 Leader!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of an issue! These monsters are beating the poo poo out of the P3 Leader!

Honestly, at the risk of exposing myself as a huge scrublord, I just left that floor at like 70% or whatever and decided to either come back later when I have Passive +SP nav skills or just play coining my way out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's sort of weird how the second dungeon is literally the only dungeon with damage tiles.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also only the first floor (or something like that). I bought a bunch of Winged Sandals that I ended up never using.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's sort of weird how the second dungeon is literally the only dungeon with damage tiles.

They all had their own gimmicks, didn't they? Relegating damage floors to one labyrinth was a pleasant surprise.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Clarste posted:

Also only the first floor (or something like that). I bought a bunch of Winged Sandals that I ended up never using.

There are a couple on the final floor, but yeah, they're only really an issue on the first floor. Frankly I'm fine with that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

StandardVC10 posted:

Only after I lost two guys in the first turn, but yes. Wait, do passive leader skills count? I have one that restores a tiny bit of HP every turn.

They do.

NO GIRLS ALLOWED. Even a little bit of girl is too much for a man-fight.

Zurai posted:

Yeah, either EO4 or EOU, depending on how important story is to you, are the best starting points.

How is the story in EOU?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Vengarr posted:

How is the story in EOU?

There is a story with characters that are already fleshed out. That's about it. It's not bad, but it's pretty JRPG. Raquna and Ricky are great. Arthur is a little poo poo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. The story is nothing special, but it does exist and there are actual characters with personalities and motivations, which are pretty much completely absent from other EO games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aside from the upcoming Etrian Odyssey II Untold.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thanks everyone for the poison suggestions. FOEs are way easier now. Easy enough I ended up taking on two at once in the third dungeon second floor.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, I've beat the game finally. It's a good game for the most part, though if they make another one I hope they rethink how status effects work. By the end the only way enemies can challenge you is by dodging your initial turn (or two if you have advantage) and then hitting you with a status/instant death of their own. That's pretty much how all FOEs go by the third labyrinth, hope your panic hits so they can't put you to sleep and drag out the fight. That's not much fun. Drawing the map was more fun than I thought it'd be going in as well.

As to the story, Rei reminds me a lot of Marie and Labrys (never played Ultimax, dunno about Sho). She has a melodramatic past. She has amnesia. She doesn't simply let you help her. All of her problems are caused by a higher power she has no control over, and as such never really makes mistakes on her own. I didn't dislike her (it helps that the game isn't as compact as Arena, where you never got a break from Labrys), but it is uncanny how her arc parallels those two. On the other hand Zen actually grew on me, which I did not expect at the outset. He actually visibly grows as a character over the course of the game, makes his own mistakes and not only attempts to correct them but comes to you for help rather than the other way around. Though I guess he is the higher power in this game so of course he fucks up at some point. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Is it my bad luck, or is the Decay Circle hellishly inaccurate? I've cast it 3-4 times and each time, it's whiffed all three turns on every opponent. The sub-persona I have it on will get Binding Hands next level - presumably that will help, but until then, ugh.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Is it my bad luck, or is the Decay Circle hellishly inaccurate? I've cast it 3-4 times and each time, it's whiffed all three turns on every opponent. The sub-persona I have it on will get Binding Hands next level - presumably that will help, but until then, ugh.

the success rate is influenced by the user's luck stat, so that might have something to do with it. but yeah even with naoto and binding hands/impure reach, it can still whiff more than you might like.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, this game takes forever to get to the point. I had to lean on the skip button after a while.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Speedball posted:

Jesus, this game takes forever to get to the point. I had to lean on the skip button after a while.

That's all the newer persona games though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's pretty slow. The real point is not the plot, though. It's fanservice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

That's all the newer persona games though.

3 and 4 get a pass in their initial incarnations because they set up whatever freaky situation you're going into and try to give you time to bond with the characters. Here it felt like we were just dicking around.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Speedball posted:

Just like every etrian odyssey, it takes till the fourth labyrinth to get the plot going.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So weird, I thought EO was made by the same guys who made Strange Journey, but I really loved Strange Journey and it had some of the most efficient writing I've seen in an SMT game. Must be a different showrunner, someone who likes rambling slow-burn beginnings instead of "EARTH IS hosed! UN-gently caress IT IMMEDIATELY! GO!"

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The eo and strange journey teams are completely different. The style of game pacing is different too since the plot in eo is incidental to ADVENTURES.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's very little plot in the EO games. Not too much long winded dialogue either. It may be comparable to Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is EO with plot, but what I've seen, PQ is more long winded than that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It looks like a bunch of high-end weapons require something called a Seraph Wing. My guess is I need to beat the Reaper to get this, is that correct?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ Nope, pretty sure that's a material from sacrificing one of the upper level angels. The Reaper's drop is used to make gimmick items -- halve your stats, double your XP.

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's very little plot in the EO games. Not too much long winded dialogue either. It may be comparable to Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is EO with plot, but what I've seen, PQ is more long winded than that.

Much, much more long-winded. Don't get me wrong, I like PQ's plot and story, but I skipped quite a few of the strolls because seriously, enough already.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

It looks like a bunch of high-end weapons require something called a Seraph Wing. My guess is I need to beat the Reaper to get this, is that correct?

Nah. The Seraph's Wing is from sacrifice fusing Metatron into something. The Reaper's drop is called Death's Contract or some such and is mostly just for the experience doubling equipment.

I think all of the ultimate weapons require you to sacrifice a specific persona and kill a certain enemy in a specific way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think all of the ultimate weapons require you to sacrifice a specific persona and kill a certain enemy in a specific way.

I got all the special drops by using Analyze items. I have no patience for their "kill in weird way" gimmicks, especially when they give you even less clues than they do in the EO games. I still have no idea how most of them drop.

Each character uses a different Sacrifice Fusion item for their ultimate weapon though. I don't think there's any overlap. The best plan is to just sacrifice all the high level Personas you get from killing FOEs.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
that'll only get you so far, since there are some personas you can only get by fusing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Just finished the Group Date Cafe. Ended up having Naoto as my destined bride, which is fitting as I finally got Mamudo, Mahama, and Impure Reach on her and thus trivialized random encounters. Combine that with her use of Scarecrow and Panic Circle for bosses to facilitate Kanji's Primal Force beatings, and she is really carrying this team on her tiny, noodle-esque back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope I get Naoto. She's my favorite of the female characters so far. Mitsuru would probably be second.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'll probably replay the quiz and try to get a couple of people for the scenes, but my first run I just answered honestly.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I hope I get Naoto. She's my favorite of the female characters so far. Mitsuru would probably be second.

smdh

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Saying I didn't care about gender, I got Junpei. Saying I did, I got Marie. I was pretty okay with this. Junpei whined way too much. :colbert:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is there a guide somewhere that tells you which answers lead to whom? I think I can guess my way to Yosuke and Yukari, but it'd be nice to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there a guide somewhere that tells you which answers lead to whom? I think I can guess my way to Yosuke and Yukari, but it'd be nice to check.

The way the group date cafe works, is that the first question determines the sex of your partner. Then it asks you a bunch of questions where one answer will determine your partner. If you answer one of those questions "right" the rest of the questions will be filler questions that doesn't influence your choices in any way. If you answer them all "wrong" the last question will outright ask you who's your type.

• Locked thread