Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The best spin-off possible would be a show where every single episode is a standalone featuring a different person or group in whatever circumstances. Everyone would get what they wanted. A JDF unit in Tokyo, MS13 dudes, Appalachian hicks, African warlords, whatever. Basically I guess World War Z, the series, but without the Israel fellatio or anime chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

There aren't enough different names for zombies to sustain that.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I've been watching this show that is showing in Japan now.

http://asianwiki.com/Tamagawa_Kuyakusho_of_the_Dead

It's more of a comedy than anything, but it has interesting situations of a world that has gotten used to a zombie presence.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Pharmaskittle posted:

Basically I guess World War Z, the series, but without the Israel fellatio or

Oh shut the gently caress up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's easier to believe that the dead were walking than that Israel would suddenly welcome the Palestinians.

That was "slavery would have gone away anyway if the Confederacy won" levels of bullshit.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up.

I didn't know that was a remotely controversial read of the movie. It's not a big chunk of the film or anything, but it's literally "wow thank goodness the Israelis built a giant wall to keep these inhuman savages out." And then unless I'm remembering wrong, it's all hosed up by a bunch of Palestinians they let in who start singing. I don't go, "hmm yes let's hunt for underlying messages" when I'm watching a dopey action movie, but that was right there in the open.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You're confusing the terrible movie with the okish book.

The book has the Israelis immediately snap into "humanity must band together to fight against the zombie threat" mode and they quarantine the entirety of greater Israel and they bring the Palestinians to their side and everyone chills out. If I recall correctly Israel weathers the zombie apocalypse without any difficulties at all and is never overrun by zombies.

It was a lot more stupid in the movie and it could be argued that the movie adds a very strong anti-Palestinian slant, but the movie is terrible anyway so who cares.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
AMC put a bunch of Walking Dead BTS photos on their blog.
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/photo-galleries/the-walking-dead-season-5-behind-the-scenes-photos/#/0

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's just band together and agree that the spin off will be a disgrace to an already shaky show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Israelis treating Palestinians as human beings is the least realistic thing about WWZ.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Koalas March posted:

The Israelis treating Palestinians as human beings is the least realistic thing about WWZ.

:agreed: irl they'd probably leave them to the zombies and think of it as a convenient solution to the "problem".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The book has the Israelis immediately snap into "humanity must band together to fight against the zombie threat" mode and they quarantine the entirety of greater Israel and they bring the Palestinians to their side and everyone chills out.

If by chills out you mean engage in a city wide civil war over it, then yeah, they were pretty chill.

I definitely remember that part from the book.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Blazing Ownager posted:

If by chills out you mean engage in a city wide civil war over it, then yeah, they were pretty chill.

I definitely remember that part from the book.

Oh but those were messianic extremist Jews doing bad things while all the moderates of both sides were having chill times and get live happily ever after afterwards.

My point is: The book has a very clear "why can't we all just get along?" message blaming the conflict on extremists, the movie has this weird subtext where the mighty walls of Jerusalem fall cause a bunch of Israelis and Palestinians sing together terrible bilingual hippie songs about peace and coexistence.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

No because you see the Palestinians bring about the downfall of Israel because they won't shut up and be quiet. The message is that no matter how hard Israel tries to help them, it always bites them in the rear end. This is a prime example of how Jews control the media.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Oh but those were messianic extremist Jews doing bad things while all the moderates of both sides were having chill times and get live happily ever after afterwards.

And hilariously, those guys lost because their extreme branch of Judaism exempted them from the mandatory military service. So all the non-assholes were much better trained to fight.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The book has the Israelis immediately snap into "humanity must band together to fight against the zombie threat" mode and they quarantine the entirety of greater Israel and they bring the Palestinians to their side and everyone chills out. If I recall correctly Israel weathers the zombie apocalypse without any difficulties at all and is never overrun by zombies.

It was a lot more stupid in the movie and it could be argued that the movie adds a very strong anti-Palestinian slant, but the movie is terrible anyway so who cares.
It's still super fellating Israel in the book. They're the one country that can get its act together before it's too late. It's much better handled in the book, but it's still there.

In any case it's pretty obvious the original guy's talking about the book 'cause he mentions the silly anime chapter, and either way, "Oh shut the gently caress up," is a really bizarre thing for that other guy to say to something so uncontroversial and obvious as "World War Z has a hard on for Israel".

I thought the book was really interesting, and it's not like it was a super simplistic hard on. There's nuance to it. But... I mean, it's not exactly hard to see.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I was combining the two really because I don't remember the Israel chapter(s?) in the book, but definitely saw it in the movie, and I'll take any opportunity to laugh at that absurd anime chapter.

edit: I thought the book was pretty neat, as far as goofy poo poo like zombie books go. Anime guy was the only thing that, a couple years after reading it, I remember as being egregiously dumb, so the Israel bit must have been at least a little restrained

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 21, 2014

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Could someone explain the anime thing? I've neither read the books or seen the film.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Perfidus posted:

Could someone explain the anime thing? I've neither read the books or seen the film.

Someone who's read the book more recently can give a better description, but basically there's a Japanese nerd (author spends an embarrassing amount of time explaining what an otaku is) who becomes a badass and teams up with a blind ninja master. I'm sure there are really silly details, but those are the broad strokes.

edit: one or both of them have a katana, of course

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

Someone who's read the book more recently can give a better description, but basically there's a Japanese nerd (author spends an embarrassing amount of time explaining what an otaku is) who becomes a badass and teams up with a blind ninja master. I'm sure there are really silly details, but those are the broad strokes.

It'd bother me more if this had been a big focus of it, but it was more of a wink where he eventually wound up, if I remember?

Most of his chapter was the exploits of a nerd with no upper body strength trying to escape a zombie infested building climbing down balconies with bedsheets, wasn't it?

ED: OK, this made me realize one thing. Not only does Eugene need to survive, he needs to end up with Michonne's katana to be the most [awesomely] cliched zombie killer of them all.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 21, 2014

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Yeah the kid's story was pretty normal all things considered. If you're going to complain about a character complain about the blind kung fu master wiping out zombies.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pharmaskittle posted:

Apocalyptic Mexico would be cool.

Just watch the news, your fantasies fullfilled

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Eiba posted:

It's still super fellating Israel in the book. They're the one country that can get its act together before it's too late. It's much better handled in the book, but it's still there.

In any case it's pretty obvious the original guy's talking about the book 'cause he mentions the silly anime chapter, and either way, "Oh shut the gently caress up," is a really bizarre thing for that other guy to say to something so uncontroversial and obvious as "World War Z has a hard on for Israel".

I thought the book was really interesting, and it's not like it was a super simplistic hard on. There's nuance to it. But... I mean, it's not exactly hard to see.

Didn't say that the book didn't provide an aggrandizing view of Israel, for that purpose I am never super shocked when a Jewish author seems to buy into the pro-Israeli hype and lavish praise upon the country, I was trying to correct the perception that Max Brooks also harbors right-wing messianic views and views coexistance and integration between Israelis and Palestinians as 'the fall of the third temple', which generally speaking is exactly the metaphor the movie seems to lay-out. I am not saying that Max Brooks knows what he's talking about, I'm just saying that his misinformed views do not seem borne out of racism and do not paint Palestinians as sub humans, like I said earlier he seems to be a 'truth is in the middle' kind of guy who has a very milquetoast liberal-zionist view of the conflict.

Honestly, the movie is so bad that it feels odd to accuse it of trying to convey an intentional message with the 'fall of jerusalem' but on the other hand that scene is so blatant and obvious it seems even more unlikely that this subtext is merely coincidental.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought zombies were inherently a metaphor for the Jewish conspiracy. This makes no sense.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Pharmaskittle posted:

A cash grab spin-off is going to be lazy, and LA is the default lazy setting. Hell, even NYC would be more interesting.

No way, la has so much diversity you can go from downtown to rural or surf to ski all within walking distance. Pretty much any backdrop you want, you have in LA. You also have a diverse setting of racial neighborhoods that are pretty distinct, so you can more of the cholo type storylines to explore that angle as well. It is really a broad canvas to explore a lot of post apoc settings.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The movie was disappointing on so many loving levels. It has so little resemblance to the book beyond the title.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

The movie was disappointing on so many loving levels. It has so little resemblance to the book beyond the title.

As a dumb zombie movie I refuse to read any meaning about whatsoever I thought it was pretty alright.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I thought the tidal wave of zombies thing was pretty cool and not something I'd seen in the movie genre before. The book was about as good as it gets as far as zombie fiction goes, and pretty unique if a bit spergy with the whole "but what if it really happened, guys??" thing. I can't fault it for that though, since that's what set it apart. Right now I'm reading a series called The Remaining on a friend's recommendation, and it's an ok page turner but just painful in how much of a boner it has for the US military. Like, my criticism of WWZ's Israel worship has nothing on how transparent this poo poo is. Civilians are all pussies who can't handle anything, "but I totally don't blame them, they're just not forged in fire like me, not their fault they can't be trusted to carry a cup of water. Now let me tell you about every feature of the M4 rifle."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I think the new show is called Outcast. Or at least that's Kirkman's new comic the show is based off of I think.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

I thought the tidal wave of zombies thing was pretty cool and not something I'd seen in the movie genre before. The book was about as good as it gets as far as zombie fiction goes, and pretty unique if a bit spergy with the whole "but what if it really happened, guys??" thing. I can't fault it for that though, since that's what set it apart.

I enjoyed the book because of its social and cultural commentary. I liked that, instead of a cliche "humans immediately do what is right and unite against the common threat" story, there was total chaos for a while, and everything such chaos brings: ignorance, denial, pride, overconfidence, profiteering, betrayal, segregation, isolationism... if you are able to forgive the obvious stereotypes and avoid sperging about details like whether the US military would actually lose against a horde of zombies, it was quite believable.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I think the new show is called Outcast. Or at least that's Kirkman's new comic the show is based off of I think.

The working title is Cobalt, I believe.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

steinrokkan posted:

Let's just band together and agree that the spin off will be a disgrace to an already shaky show.

It could turn out well if the show runners recognize the mistakes of the original. This show spent the better part of the last year getting rid of the baggage from seasons two and three, and now they seem to be stuck in a loop.

I still think it would've been cooler to do a spin-off anthology of 10-12 episode seasons, each of which would follow a different group of people around the country. You could do a lot of world building with that and get into some really weird and interesting poo poo. Plus, one-off seasons could attract some better known actors. Get in on that True Detective, Fargo, American Horror Story trend.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 24, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How about lots of little group stories that end with the whole group dying.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How about just two where the whole group minus Bob dies?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Pharmaskittle posted:

I thought the tidal wave of zombies thing was pretty cool and not something I'd seen in the movie genre before. The book was about as good as it gets as far as zombie fiction goes, and pretty unique if a bit spergy with the whole "but what if it really happened, guys??" thing. I can't fault it for that though, since that's what set it apart. Right now I'm reading a series called The Remaining on a friend's recommendation, and it's an ok page turner but just painful in how much of a boner it has for the US military. Like, my criticism of WWZ's Israel worship has nothing on how transparent this poo poo is. Civilians are all pussies who can't handle anything, "but I totally don't blame them, they're just not forged in fire like me, not their fault they can't be trusted to carry a cup of water. Now let me tell you about every feature of the M4 rifle."

I read the released "The Remaining" books and I think that the soldier worship thing mostly applies to the protagonist who is portrayed as a total ubermensch in almost every possible aspect, the author also clearly envisions zombie apocalypse survival as this sort of military drill and focuses a lot on how military discipline is of paramount importance in that scenario, I didn't find it to be bothersome really cause I think it's a convincing notion on some 'tactical realism' level, oh and for that purpose, what sets the remaining apart is the fact that the protagonist is a soldier who is specifically trained to deal with that kind of scenario, where the majority of Zombie apocalypse fiction focuses on unprepared survivors and their struggles the remaining focuses on this super prepared dude whose goal is to rebuild society.

I don't know which book in the series you are at so I won't spoil any specific plot points but the military worship in the novels is not as comprehensive as you state, the military (and by extension what remains of the US government) are not always benevolent and not every character with military background got its poo poo together.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

fleshweasel posted:

Would be nice if they did more of those webisodes where they show how zombies became zombies. Can't really build a show around the idea but I'm sure you could shoot some episodes on the cheap if they are only 5-10 minutes long.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm a little late for Georgia chat, but gently caress Atlanta. 2.5hrs to cover 53 miles of I-75 (never topped 20mph for about 30 minutes of it) with Atlanta being in the middle of that. I'd almost say zombies are punishment for lovely infrastructure.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
The best possible thing for the spin off to do would be stepping out into Indio/Inland Empire.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fleshweasel posted:

It will very quickly turn into Heroes when it turns out one group is so popular that they will be spared and become the main focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'm a little late for Georgia chat, but gently caress Atlanta. 2.5hrs to cover 53 miles of I-75 (never topped 20mph for about 30 minutes of it) with Atlanta being in the middle of that. I'd almost say zombies are punishment for lovely infrastructure.

Preach. I hope Sherman comes back from the dead just to burn Atlanta down again. It took me over an hour and a half to go 44 miles due to 285 and 85 being congested messes. The trip back was more of a nightmare because of traffic. The Walking Dead is my cathartic "gently caress Georgia" show and I will be sad when it goes.

• Locked thread