Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Apparently Korrasami is canon all the way back to book 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1RnAGncBQ&hd=1

I really need to hear these Bluray commentaries.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They were not that bad, and neither was Korra.

The Promise Part 2 was utter poo poo though, actually.
The comic I read was really bad and I even liked Book 1 of Korra.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It really does. The comics are only worth it for scenes with character development and world building.
Looking into this it sounds like they're trying to pull some kind of redemption arc for Azula. That's not character development I want any part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Sharmat posted:

Looking into this it sounds like they're trying to pull some kind of redemption arc for Azula. That's not character development I want any part of.
It's less a redemption arc and more "She's a terrible person but is also mentally ill and came from a hosed up family so maybe we shouldn't consider her to be flat-out evil."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

OldTennisCourt posted:

If another Avatar series happened I'd love it to jump forward and have the public be somehow jaded/not care about the Avatar. Like she/he becomes some sort of relic of another age and the entire world just stops giving a poo poo. Have it be set in modern day/the future that way we could see even more cool technological/bending poo poo :allears:
Earthbenders have metalbending and, very rarely, lavabending. Firebenders would develop magnetbending, airbenders would develop... soundbending, perhaps? Waterbenders have bloodbending, but that's frowned upon, they could maybe develop another type as well. Either way, waterbenders have an advantage in terms of how close they are to spirits, along with airbenders. Airbenders and waterbenders working in concert could probably weatherbend.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

seravid posted:

And there you go.

So it's a bunch of weebs crying about action scenes that don't look like a Tony Jaa movie. Bend-boxing kicks rear end.

JT Jag posted:

Airbenders and waterbenders working in concert could probably weatherbend.

This has been done. Aang and Katara make a raincloud in Book 1.

Chakram fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 21, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love the fact the Korra & Asami thing has completely wiped out the rest of the finale from discussion.

Gotta say Varric and Ju Li actually grated on me a little bit when they wedged "do the thing" into the proposal and wedding.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

JT Jag posted:

Earthbenders have metalbending and, very rarely, lavabending. Firebenders would develop magnetbending, airbenders would develop... soundbending, perhaps? Waterbenders have bloodbending, but that's frowned upon, they could maybe develop another type as well. Either way, waterbenders have an advantage in terms of how close they are to spirits, along with airbenders. Airbenders and waterbenders working in concert could probably weatherbend.
Aang and Katara did weatherbend in ATLA.

Waterbenders also have healing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I love the fact the Korra & Asami thing has completely wiped out the rest of the finale from discussion.

Gotta say Varric and Ju Li actually grated on me a little bit when they wedged "do the thing" into the proposal and wedding.

Varrick got a celebrity actor to officiate his wedding, of course the ceremony was going to include something that both bride and groom openly acknowledge as their shared catchphrase.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This is so loving good. I love when shows do extended takes on established theme songs. Two other examples of this off the top of my head were Breaking Bad and Party Down, but there's tons.

Also, regarding the comics, an obvious major thing missing from them is Jeremy Zuckerman's music. His score makes the show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

Also, regarding the comics, an obvious major thing missing from them is Jeremy Zuckerman's music. His score makes the show.
Not to mention Ben Wynn's sound design that makes the insanity that is the manipulation of the elements sound completely real.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Chakram posted:

So it's a bunch of weebs crying about action scenes that don't look like a Tony Jaa movie. Bend-boxing kicks rear end.

The fluid, imaginative, dance-like fights are a huge part of this universe's appeal, with open combat allowing fighters to actively use and transform their surroundings in a beautiful display of super-powered martial arts/rhythmic gymnastics.

The static crap known as pro-bending has none of those things.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Nichael posted:

I haven't really followed Avatar/Korra 'meta' discussion much re: like the studio and the producers and such, but is there a reason that there's no Avatar or Korra soundtrack? Because now that the show's over, if there isn't one already, doesn't that make it less likely we'll ever get one? It would be a real shame to have all that music disappear or become hard to find some day.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

JT Jag posted:

I'd love for the gap between benders and non benders to just get bigger and bigger to the point where the big storyline is just and out and out full on revolution. Tech puts non benders on even ground with benders.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ambivalent posted:

I haven't really followed Avatar/Korra 'meta' discussion much re: like the studio and the producers and such, but is there a reason that there's no Avatar or Korra soundtrack? Because now that the show's over, if there isn't one already, doesn't that make it less likely we'll ever get one? It would be a real shame to have all that music disappear or become hard to find some day.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Korra-Original-Music-Book/dp/B00D6I7EMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419132248&sr=1-1

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I'm dumb. I just kept seeing comments about how 'I hope there's a soundtrack for Book 2 soon' and 'maybe we'll get a soundtrack for book 3' and such, so I hadn't even bothered to look.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This is awesome, thanks for that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

That music :allears: I'm gonna miss that. I'm gonna miss a lot about this show.

Ambivalent posted:

I'm dumb. I just kept seeing comments about how 'I hope there's a soundtrack for Book 2 soon' and 'maybe we'll get a soundtrack for book 3' and such, so I hadn't even bothered to look.
To be fair given how lovely the video game was despite being made by Platinum, and how there still aren't any action figures for the animated action series, it's not unreasonable to assume that Nickelodeon failed to release a soundtrack. They clearly stopped giving a poo poo sometime around the end of season two.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

OldTennisCourt posted:

If another Avatar series happened I'd love it to jump forward and have the public be somehow jaded/not care about the Avatar. Like she/he becomes some sort of relic of another age and the entire world just stops giving a poo poo. Have it be set in modern day/the future that way we could see even more cool technological/bending poo poo :allears:

I had this idea; in my version bending would have evolved into such specific niches, and the world would have become so globalized, that even the distinctions between the four elements and distinctions between human and spirit have vanished over the years. There would have been several generations of Avatars gone by who didn't even know they were the Avatar, until one, for some reason, discovers their untapped potential and is forced to examine what it means to be an Avatar in a world which can handle its own problems and is pretty much as unified as it could reasonably be.

Or you could go Buffy on the premise and make it so that there are a whole bunch of active Avatars that cheapen their title and purpose.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chaltab posted:

To be fair given how lovely the video game was despite being made by Platinum, and how there still aren't any action figures for the animated action series, it's not unreasonable to assume that Nickelodeon failed to release a soundtrack. They clearly stopped giving a poo poo sometime around the end of season two.

Uh the game was very good??? And not just for a budget game, but for a game period. It's a poor Platinum game but that's not a mark against it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's alright. The core is fairly solid but it's pretty obvious that it's a budget title. I'm sure they'll be able to make something really solid if given the funding.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Considering it's a budget, licensed title, it's actually a really good albeit really short ride (You'll beat it in an afternoon at the latest). There's a very solid Platinum style base to it that's just plain fun and I don't regret picking it up at all, granted I got it on sale for less than $10.

I'd like to see a higher budget sequel where the Naga and Pro Bending sections are removed in favor of playing the rest of Team Avatar. Korra would still play the same, Mako would have access to lightning, Bolin would have lava, and Asami would play like Bayonetta just with an electric glove instead of guns and nudie magic.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many of you have heard of this Korra game?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I might pick that up eventually, but the volume of negative reviews is unfortunate.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, finalized my thoughts in a big-rear end writeup. Still can't really get over how perfect that finale was. The more I think about it, the more I just really, really enjoy it.

Also, the above Korra game should not be confused with the fun-but-somewhat-short Platinum Games one, which actually owns.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Have we ever seen benders bend the 'ammo' of another bender? Like if two earth benders were fighting it seems like it should be extra hard to land a blow.

I kept wanting to see Mako bend the lava that Bolin made.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've really come to admire how every season of this show had a really ballsy ending. We all remember season 3, and of course season 1 had the murder-suicide, but even season 2 ended with upending the premise and reversing the status quo of the setting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timett posted:

Have we ever seen benders bend the 'ammo' of another bender? Like if two earth benders were fighting it seems like it should be extra hard to land a blow.

I kept wanting to see Mako bend the lava that Bolin made.

Yeah, it happens pretty frequently. During the Kuvira/Korra fight for example we saw Korra metalbend things that Kuvira threw at her out of the way. We also see Firebenders block or redirect the fire of other firebenders really often.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it happens pretty frequently. During the Kuvira/Korra fight for example we saw Korra metalbend things that Kuvira threw at her out of the way.

Yeah I guess you're right and it just didn't register that was what was happening. I was just all 'whoa, cool action!'

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Mraagvpeine posted:

I knew about that one. But the links at the bottom did enlighten me to the existence of this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main thing about bending another person's attacks is that if they threw a rock at you, you have to push back with the same amount of strength just to stop it. Kung Fu, nevermind all martial arts, is all about using less energy to deflect an attack than to match it with brute strength and this shows in the fight choreography of both series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

I've really come to admire how every season of this show had a really ballsy ending. We all remember season 3, and of course season 1 had the murder-suicide, but even season 2 ended with upending the premise and reversing the status quo of the setting.

Yeah, it took a ton of guts! I know for one that I have never been as inspired and thrilled by the ending of a season of a cartoon show as when I saw Korra in a wheelchair at the end of Season 3, a teardrop rolling down her cheek. I got the same wicked enjoyment out of that scene as I did with the ending of Season 2 of House of Cards.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Eej posted:

The main thing about bending another person's attacks is that if they threw a rock at you, you have to push back with the same amount of strength just to stop it. Kung Fu, nevermind all martial arts, is all about using less energy to deflect an attack than to match it with brute strength and this shows in the fight choreography of both series.

makes sense. I think the show did a good job in the finale especially of showing that sometimes bending takes a lot of effort.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Eej posted:

Which also serves as an answer if anyone asks why Korra didn't just bend shots from the spirit cannon from the start.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's less a redemption arc and more "She's a terrible person but is also mentally ill and came from a hosed up family so maybe we shouldn't consider her to be flat-out evil."

Her mental illness makes her "evil", in as much as there is such a thing as evil. Book 2 of ATLA even established (as much as they could in a kid's show) that Azula enjoyed torturing animals as a small child.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I genuinely feel nothing but sadness for Azula.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I felt a bit bad for her in the finale but she was a horrible person and she completely earned her fate. She would have been horrible even without Ozai's influence.

I feel more bad for her mother and her inability to cope with the fact that she gave birth to a monster.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A storyline about finding compassion for her now that she's no longer capable of hurting anybody could be good. I have no idea if such a story written by the person who is apparently writing it could be good, though. I haven't read many of the comics.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I felt a bit bad for her in the finale but she was a horrible person and she completely earned her fate. She would have been horrible even without Ozai's influence.

I feel more bad for her mother and her inability to cope with the fact that she gave birth to a monster.

I would feel the same if I didn't mentally classify Azula as "child" rather than "person" — and a child whose psychological and emotional development was so stunted that a single personal betrayal caused a severe psychotic episode. And wasn't it actually only Azula's belief that her mother thought she was a monster?

Goddamn I miss ATLA's villains.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

A storyline about finding compassion for her now that she's no longer capable of hurting anybody could be good. I have no idea if such a story written by the person who is apparently writing it could be good, though. I haven't read many of the comics.
You could do this and I'd buy it, if you went about it right. I mean Azula's a horrible person but she can't help that she was born without the mental tools people use to actually be normal, like empathy. She is what she is.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I would feel the same if I didn't mentally classify Azula as "child" rather than "person" — and a child whose psychological and emotional development was so stunted that a single personal betrayal caused a severe psychotic episode.
That was kind of jarring and out of nowhere but Grey Delisle sold it so I was ok with it.

And wasn't it actually only Azula's belief that her mother thought she was a monster?
"Monster" is probably not quite what she thought but Ursa was clearly disturbed by Azula. There's a "What is wrong with that child?" line from her at some point and it's not along the lines of Hank Hill going "That boy ain't right".

Goddamn I miss ATLA's villains.
Azula was ok, largely because of the VA's performance. But Ozai and Zhao were really boring. I can't understand anyone wanting a return to that standard when Korra's vilains were so much better. Well, except maybe Unalaq.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

"Monster" is probably not quite what she thought but Ursa was clearly disturbed by Azula. There's a "What is wrong with that child?" line from her at some point and it's not along the lines of Hank Hill going "That boy ain't right".

Right. Ursa didn't appear to be cruel, neglectful, or rejecting of Azula so much as, by that point, despairing. And I can't blame her: If Azula saw her mother as rejecting her, it was because her mother was the only person in her life that was neither too afraid to speak up nor eagerly encouraging when she engaged in cruelty and manipulation.

I totally accept that Azula's a victim of her circumstances and upbringing, but in very much the same way that Ozai was, and even the show pointed that out. It's a bit hard to give her a pass from being evil without doing the same for him. Which admittedly is a valid perspective and reflects Aang's final decision, but the two are very much the same. I'd say "other than in age", but at the same time she wasn't really played as much of a kid for the most part. Not even as a kid pushed beyond her years. Grey Delisle not even trying to come off as a teenager probably is part of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I was shocked to discover that Azula was supposed to be younger than Zuko. I always thought she was like 18.

I don't think Azula would have been normal even without Ozai and her upbringing though. She just likes hurting things too much. She might have been better than she turned out, but still.

• Locked thread