Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So has Scott Adams really just standardised everyone's outfit so the copy and pasting is easier, or am I thinking too little of him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

goatface posted:

So has Scott Adams really just standardised everyone's outfit so the copy and pasting is easier, or am I thinking too little of him?

I assume there was a story arc where everyone's outfit was updated to polos and security cards on lanyards hung from their necks to mimic trends in tech company dress codes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac I liked her original interpretation better.

Heathcliff:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

well there's some genuinely EC poo poo

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

EasyEW posted:

BOYZENDORGS! Also, payday!

Experienced businessmen don't just give away free pocket sand, kid.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kismet posted:

Don't start down that road unless you're fully prepared for a week of Oh Baby!

Allen Wren posted:

I'd rather that than more Rose is Rose or Piranha Club.

Your move.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

This is stupid. Hopefully we're done with it now.

Holbrook? Done with something stupid? Never.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 21, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Now I wonder if by any chance Hanley Carmichel's other woman he was in love with is dead now, freeing up the somehow still alive Mr. Carmichel to fall in love with Mrs. Marmon, thus softening up the old bird's heart in her old age and save young Billy. I hope not, though. I'd much rather she just be an evil old biddy trying to Miss Havisham the poo poo out of that kid.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

The mental image of Spidey dumpster diving amuses me,

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Kevin & Kell

This is stupid. Hopefully we're done with it now.
I actually enjoyed this strip when it involved weird plots with time-travelling birds, alternate universes and things actually happening.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

It's hard to think too little of Scott Adams.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Representing Charterstone.

Rex Morgan MD

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean gets the gift of not dying immediately...

...and gives the gift of cheap drama with no build up.

That was a CANCER screening, wasn't it? And is that a full smile? :aaaaa:

Genital warts

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Allen Wren posted:

I was in a band. We were pretty annoying. Buy our CD. Welp, see ya

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
:barf:

Man, Luann's dad's strict refusal to acknowledge the existence of sex is getting sinister!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo gives you the moment you've been waiting for all year. The "gift" is they get it over with in the space of two panels. (December 22, 1956)

Peanuts: Year Two (January 3-5, 1952)

Charlie Brown gives us the gift of unexpected skills...

...and then it's over.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County celebrates capitalist enterprise.

Calvin And Hobbes presents the little-known Zeno's Cereal Box.

Ripley's dares you not to look at their thigh shading.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
So Dana Simpson announced this on Facebook

quote:

Newspaper launch. Heavenly Nostrils. Spring 2015.
Whew! I’ve been sitting on that information for months.
Every time I’ve had to take time off from the daily strip to work on that, I’ve had to just say I was working on “something big.” Well, this has been it.
There’s more work involved with preparing a launch than I had anticipated, and until we got there, part of me was convinced we wouldn’t. But the launch is scheduled for spring, and the process of selling the strip to newspapers is well underway (and going very well–we topped 50 newspaper sales last week), and I’m now allowed to talk about it.
And I am not good at sitting on this kind of news. It has been a test of my will, not to just tell everyone everything that was happening months ago. Because I am utterly thrilled by this.
I’ve wanted to be a syndicated newspaper cartoonist since I was a kid, and I’ve been actively trying to get there more or less my whole adult life.
The thing about it is, for the newspaper launch, we’re changing the title. Because the marketing department, or whoever it is that makes these decisions, wants to change the title. It’ll be released to newspapers as “Phoebe and Her Unicorn,” the same title as the book. And the changeover on gocomics happens soon: January 1. As of then, the strip is officially called “Phoebe and Her Unicorn: The Heavenly Nostrils Chronicles.”
And I know a bunch of you are going to complain to me about it. To which I say, feel free! Just know it isn’t my decision. And it’s made.
I guess I don’t really have strong feelings about it. I like the title Heavenly Nostrils, but I understand it’s polarizing. (My mom has never liked it.) The reason we called the book Phoebe and Her Unicorn instead of its original title, Heavenly Nostrils, was because Barnes & Noble said they’d buy more copies if we did.
And when we first started, when I pitched the title “Heavenly Nostrils,” my editor said “we can release it online under that title, but when we get to the newspaper launch, they might make us change it.” So, you know, I think it’s a great title, but changing it has never been a dealbreaker.
This is an unusual way to launch a strip. Nigh unprecedented, in fact. As far as I know, no newspaper strip has started as an online-syndicated strip in quite this way, before. Either I’m The Future, or I’m an anomaly. I’m comfortable with either.
Keep calm and unicorn! And if you get the urge, contact your local newspaper and tell them to pick up Phoebe and Her Unicorn.
It’s been an amazing 2014. Let’s make 2015 blow it out of the water.

TL;DR: "Heavenly Nostrils" is launching in newspapers on 2015, renamed as "Phoebe and Her Unicorn"

And yes, I'm aware that most of you don't read newspapers, but this is a dream come true for Dana, so at least show some support for her. Even with the dwindling newspaper circulation, odds are she's going to be making more money thru this than with GoComics' website.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

TL;DR: "Heavenly Nostrils" is launching in newspapers on 2015, renamed as "Phoebe and Her Unicorn"

And yes, I'm aware that most of you don't read newspapers, but this is a dream come true for Dana, so at least show some support for her. Even with the dwindling newspaper circulation, odds are she's going to be making more money thru this than with GoComics' website.

I'm very happy for her. I really like the strip and always thought it was a shame that it wasn't printed in papers when so many comics that are are just garbage. Yes, newspapers are relics of the past, blah blah blah, but it's still an important milestone to reach and it was clearly a big dream for her. I'm glad this comic will be getting some recognition.

And while I prefer the original title, I completely understand why the syndicate would want to change it.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

That seems like a difficult code to improvise.

Big Ben Bolt

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I'm relinquishing posting in this thread. It's just not a worthwhile read for me anymore. Anyone who wants to post Pickles or Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog is welcome to have them. Thanks for the comics. Have a good new year.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mister Beeg posted:

Fantastic. Good for her!

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

don Jaime posted:

I'm relinquishing posting in this thread. It's just not a worthwhile read for me anymore. Anyone who wants to post Pickles or Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog is welcome to have them. Thanks for the comics. Have a good new year.

Might pick up Bleeker again for the one time a week I get around to posting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LtStorm posted:

I assume there was a story arc where everyone's outfit was updated to polos and security cards on lanyards hung from their necks to mimic trends in tech company dress codes.

If by "story arc" you mean a single strip, then yes.

Pointy Haired Boss came in, said everyone wears polos and lanyards now, Dilbert said something guaranteed to get him fired in the real world and that was it.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. It was even less interesting than that.

The change started 13 October this year so, if you want, you can wallow it he glory.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 21, 2014

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

catlord posted:

Fantastic. Good for her!

Yeah it's a big deal no matter how doomed newspapers might be.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Julet Esqu posted:

And while I prefer the original title, I completely understand why the syndicate would want to change it.

If there's any consolation for Dana, Charles Schulz hated the name "Peanuts", also something the syndicate picked.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I understand why the original title didn't work, but who would want to read something called "Phoebe and Her Unicorn"? That's an exceedingly stupid name for a marketing department to put out.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Little girls? They love unicorns apparently.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizzaro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The sigmund one really stands out as being out of place. Maybe an Einstein or Newton clause would have worked better.
For a young geek boy who can barely stand to be in the same room with a girl his own age? I am not sure he would have understood the context, or really even known who Freud is.
Jason has always veered towards the hard sciences.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Allen Wren posted:

This is only a comic by the barest of margins. Pretty hilarious though.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 21, 2014

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Quinn's first appearance?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Helicity posted:

Quinn's first appearance?

Seriously. :lol:

Happy Winter Solstice to all you Druids in the audience! Now we begin the fight to take back what's ours from the bottom of the planet! :v:

Interesting in a :psyduck: way I guess.

Heavenly Nostrils is still yesterday's. I wonder if Dana will quit GoComics when she goes online on newsprint.

9 Chickweed Lane 12/21/2003

:words: Geeze.

Zits

Christ. I hope this doesn't continue tomorrow.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Manuel Calavera posted:

Little girls? They love unicorns apparently.

Yeah. It should be noted that "Heavenly Nostrils" (aka "Phoebe and Her Unicorn") is targeted to little girls.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dpbjinc posted:

I understand why the original title didn't work, but who would want to read something called "Phoebe and Her Unicorn"? That's an exceedingly stupid name for a marketing department to put out.

But it makes sense when you realize that marketing types like to play it as safe as humanly possible.

The Dinette Set just bought a new car!

(So did I, so I feel the pain.)

And no Working Daze today! It's a early Christmas miracle!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes presents the little-known Zeno's Cereal Box.

One of my favorite C&H story lines, along with the one where they're working with clay and Hobbes can't stop saying "smock".

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Encourages you to explore your limitations.

Heathcliff knows everybody who's anybody.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Heathcliff knows everybody who's anybody.

That's a creepy-rear end Tom. :stare:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 21, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mister Beeg posted:

That's a creepy-rear end Tom. :stare:

His eyes are staring right through your soul...

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Crap, I forgot I that I didn't post yesterday's Heavenly Nostrils so here is yesterday's today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

• Locked thread