Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would you rope your friends into something like this? I'd be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

My office has these lightswitches:

What are they, and is there a way for me to change the delay before they turn off?

On a completely unrelated note...

Is there any reason to use a three-pole switch when you've only got a single switch for the lights you're turning on and off? Do the timers on those sorts of lights require an extra wire or something?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have an insulation question.

My main level has a lot of windows, which are super lovely as far as insulation goes and it's always cold on that level. I thought it was my doors leaking at first, but I've felt all around the frames and there aren't any leaks plus the air near the windows is noticeably colder than the air in the rest of the room and I can't imagine what else would cause it. The problem this causes is that since the lower level is always cold it makes our thermostat (located near the worst offending window) kick on the heat and then our upper level which has a lot fewer windows reaches temperatures of approximately 12 billion degrees, especially at night. In the morning sometimes I actually break out into a sweat just brushing my teeth because our bathroom gets so hot. Of course the vents don't have levers to open/close them which would be the easy solution.

We're renting in a huge-rear end neighborhood with really slow maintenance people (it took them ~6 months to repair storm damage to people's roofs that caused rainwater to leak into people's bedrooms, so I don't think my complaint of "my house is cold" would go anywhere until summer then they'd be like "what's your problem, you should be happy your house is cold"). I've heard tales of putting saran wrap on the windows, does that actually work or would it just make my place look really tacky? Are there any other non-permanent solutions we can put up? Utilities are included in our rent, so we don't really care about the heating bill but we'd like not to slowly roast to death in our sleep every night.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sleep downstairs?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

It's not that downstairs is nice and upstairs is warmer than we'd like, downstairs is sitting on the couch wrapped in blankets and upstairs is sweat-inducing hot. I'd like to be able to warm up the downstairs while cooling down the upstairs and the only way I can imagine doing that is by fixing the stupid windows that make the heater kick on all the time. They won't let us install a programmable thermostat, or else I'd put one in and just have it set the temperature to 60 or something at night so the heater doesn't go on as often.

It's ok in the summer, it's just that since it's gotten cold we've noticed a problem.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Even basic housecleaning services around here run in the $20-25 / hour range, and that's for dealing with normal people messiness - dishes, vacuuming, etc.
Ahaha, no wonder people keep calling me, I've been undercharging like gently caress.

But no, in this case it would be altruism, since the cleanup would because of me just being horrified at poo poo on the ground rather than them begging me to do the work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why would you rope your friends into something like this? I'd be pissed.
They owe me for goading me into some political stuff and then absolutely failing to back me up after they swore up and down they'd do it, so the least they can do is handle some cat poo poo.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Ofaloaf posted:

They owe me for goading me into some political stuff and then absolutely failing to back me up after they swore up and down they'd do it, so the least they can do is handle some cat poo poo.

I think we need to know more so we can judge whether or not it's worth it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've heard tales of putting saran wrap on the windows, does that actually work or would it just make my place look really tacky? Are there any other non-permanent solutions we can put up? Utilities are included in our rent, so we don't really care about the heating bill but we'd like not to slowly roast to death in our sleep every night.

It's not exactly saran wrap, but yes you can buy a bunch of plastic sheeting and stick it around your windows. You can buy a kit to do this that is basically some rolls of double-sided tape and several big sheets of plastic. It does make a difference, and it works best if the problem is that you have lovely windows that are single glazed and therefore leeching out heat. If the windows are already double glazed then it won't make a tremendous difference (unless they are also badly installed, and you are getting drafts around the fitting, it can help that too).

Our windows are kind of badly installed, and so I bought some sealant and went around plugging the worst of those gaps before we wrapped the windows.

Another option is that you can look for some thick/thermal drapes - if you are renting in an average place I am assuming you have venetian blinds (because loving everywhere has venetian blinds now) which don't do anything to control heat - if you buy and hang some appropriate curtains it can make a difference.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Yeah, curtains make a huge difference. I've heard of people hanging quilts from their windows to keep the heat in, and you might be able to do that with a tension rod if your landlord is really strict about holes in the wall for a real curtain rod.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ofaloaf posted:

And this could be just the push they need to never speak to you again. Good job!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ashcans posted:

It's not exactly saran wrap, but yes you can buy a bunch of plastic sheeting and stick it around your windows. You can buy a kit to do this that is basically some rolls of double-sided tape and several big sheets of plastic. It does make a difference, and it works best if the problem is that you have lovely windows that are single glazed and therefore leeching out heat. If the windows are already double glazed then it won't make a tremendous difference (unless they are also badly installed, and you are getting drafts around the fitting, it can help that too).

Our windows are kind of badly installed, and so I bought some sealant and went around plugging the worst of those gaps before we wrapped the windows.

Another option is that you can look for some thick/thermal drapes - if you are renting in an average place I am assuming you have venetian blinds (because loving everywhere has venetian blinds now) which don't do anything to control heat - if you buy and hang some appropriate curtains it can make a difference.

It's probably a combination of both lovely installation and lovely windows. It's military base housing so it's the cheapest materials imaginable installed in the most half-assed fashion that's still up to code. I do have a bunch of curtain rods from my last place, maybe I'll look into getting some thermal drapes.

I also had the thought of putting a space heater near the thermostat, that might be the easiest solution for now.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I wouldn't actively bet money on this, but in my experience base housing offices couldn't give less of a poo poo about minor modifications, even though when asked they act like its the end of the world.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Seconding bigass drapes over the windows. It's what I use, and I've had them up for so long I forgot how much of a difference they made. That's until I took them down to wash last week and felt too lazy to put them back up the same day.

Night and day, I tell you. It was so cold I was considering just grabbing my blanket and sleeping on the couch since the living room has better insulation. Instead I just suffered through my hubris as a frigid lesson on why you should put your drapes back up and not be a lazy rear end in a top hat.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I just moved into a new place and we've been having some issues with bugs. My roommate swears they're cockroaches, but I don't think they are. Can anyone identify what type of bug this is?

For context, we live in NYC and we only ever see 1-2 of these bugs around the kitchen sink. Also we have put down cockroach traps but they don't seem to have killed anything and we cleaned out every cabinet near the sink and found no signs of droppings that would point toward an infestation.

Edit: for context since the photo is poo poo, the bugs are tiny. I would say 1/4 of an inch.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 16, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd guess baby cockroach. But with a better picture (or maybe this one) the folks in the crittter thread can tell you exactly what it is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626454

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That is absolutely a cockroach.

Keeping zero food scraps out anywhere will generally solve the problem. No dirty dishes, give the sink a clean after doing dishes, clean sanitized counters (lysol wipes own), etc.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Looks cockroach-y. Max Force gel. No sprays.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Google "german cockroach nymph" and get yourself some maxforce gel, boric acid powder, and chick tracts.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am very use to moving out of one place on the last day of a lease and into another that same day which is either the first day of the lease or a day early. That looks like it will be a problem this year, as I will almost certainly be out of town for a work trip the three days before and two more after my current lease ends. It is potentially possible that I could go month to month for just the month after assuming the place isn't rented to someone else, which isn't a safe bet. Is this something that actually will likely be a giant headache and possibly finding myself paying rent for two apartments during a single month just so I can move before this lease ends or am I making a big deal of something that will likely not really be a problem?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's hard to say, it may or may not be an issue. Usually when I have have been moving, the place I am moving into isn't currently occupied, and so the entry date can be a little flexible. I have had landlords just agree that I can move in two days early without any concerns, and some that allowed that with either prorating the additional days or adjusting the lease term (i.e., so that your lease starts/ends on the 28th instead of the 1st). If you are not sure where you might be moving to, I would suggest that you talk to your current landlord and explain the situation. If you already know you are going to have this conflict and you can let them know in advance, they might be willing to just grant you a few extra days or some sort of prorated arrangement - even just extend the lease by a single month to avoid the issue.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If the apartment you're moving to is vacant, your new landlord would be thrilled to rent to you per diem for a couple of days. There is less in it for your outgoing landlord, but you may find that he can be a little flexible as well. I would start with "I'd like to pay for a few extra days" and see where that goes. If you're not looking for a freebie, there has to be *some* way this can work out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
ok, thanks, this is kind of what I was expecting to hear. Its all in the air right now, and I don't know where the next place will be. I think I am just trying to prepare myself for the new place not being vacant for the first and my current place being rented and their expected move in being more or less that same day. I haven't had a good track record of having decent Philly landlords/management companies so I am just trying to prep for the worst.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I mean, if you can't get any accomodation from anyone, the worst case scenario is that you get a UPack or something, load up your old place prior to your trip, and then have them hold it for a week and deliver it to your new place when you get back. Obviously this means you are living out of a suitcase or something for that time and is kind of nightmarish in general (especially if you have pets) but its a thing you can do if no one will budge.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Anyone have any recommendations for a small space heater? It needs to have a temperature setting and turn off when it reaches the target temp.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

nesbit37 posted:

I am very use to moving out of one place on the last day of a lease and into another that same day which is either the first day of the lease or a day early. That looks like it will be a problem this year, as I will almost certainly be out of town for a work trip the three days before and two more after my current lease ends. It is potentially possible that I could go month to month for just the month after assuming the place isn't rented to someone else, which isn't a safe bet. Is this something that actually will likely be a giant headache and possibly finding myself paying rent for two apartments during a single month just so I can move before this lease ends or am I making a big deal of something that will likely not really be a problem?

It's more of a hassle, but couldn't you just rent a storage locker for a month & move it all out before your trip?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

ladyweapon posted:

It's more of a hassle, but couldn't you just rent a storage locker for a month & move it all out before your trip?

Pets complicate it, since I breed geckos and have 13 of them (not to mention this thing for the geckos that is a nightmare to move) and a dog, but depending on the length of time it could work but would be a colossal pain. Storage unit would definitely be a last ditch option.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a small space heater? It needs to have a temperature setting and turn off when it reaches the target temp.

It is a really bad idea to leave space heaters running in unattended rooms. They're big fire hazards, not to mention really inefficient.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

nesbit37 posted:

Pets complicate it, since I breed geckos and have 13 of them (not to mention this thing for the geckos that is a nightmare to move) and a dog, but depending on the length of time it could work but would be a colossal pain. Storage unit would definitely be a last ditch option.

The money you'd save renting a storage unit vs paying a months rent could be put to a pet sitter/pet boarding for the 5-6 days. I don't know the logistics of doing that with geckos, but its worth looking into.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They basically all do this. The age of a space heater burning down your house is largely past, they get barely warm anymore and shut of if you tip them over or get too hot. Hell you could probably cover it with a towel and not start a fire.

Anyhow, it's really the most basic of electrical appliances, they short two wires together and make heat. Go to Amazon, sort by popularity, buy the first one in your price range.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Thanatosian posted:

It is a really bad idea to leave space heaters running in unattended rooms. They're big fire hazards, not to mention really inefficient.

Thank you fireman thanatosian. I do not plan on leaving it unattended, I am just lazy.

photomikey posted:

They basically all do this. The age of a space heater burning down your house is largely past, they get barely warm anymore and shut of if you tip them over or get too hot. Hell you could probably cover it with a towel and not start a fire.

Anyhow, it's really the most basic of electrical appliances, they short two wires together and make heat. Go to Amazon, sort by popularity, buy the first one in your price range.

Got it, thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

They're fire hazards sure, but I think you'll find that they are quite efficient.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I have a bionaire one I got a few years ago. It oscillates and has a remote control, which is handy. This one, to be precise: http://www.bionaire.com/bionaire-site-catalog/BCH9221-NUM.html#start=4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The light switch in my room broke. It controlled one of the sockets on the wall. It is one of these: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=1451-2I&section=41455&minisite=10251

I bought one of these (different color but) http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5691-2&section=47084&minisite=10251

I hooked everything up but the switch doesn't seem to work (not a problem with the light; connected it to a different socket and it works fine).

I'm working with the assumptions that:
1. Given that it's a simple switch, the live wires are interchangable.
2. I correctly identified the ground wire because when I had it hooked up incorrectly (ground on a live terminal), it tripped the breaker.

Now, when I flip the switch, nothing happens. I just want my light back :( Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
When you say the old light switch "broke", what happened to it?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The plastic inside basically disintegrated so the switch no longer functions. It's currently in 4-5 pieces or so.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking to rent a house, is there anything I should be concerned about/be asking about that's specific to a house? My biggest concern is what the intention of the owner is long term, if he's looking to rent for a while or just holding it short term until he can sell it. It's being done through a local rental brokerage, so the who/what/when of any repairs is also of interest. I know electricity and such will generally be higher since it's a detached house and also just larger than our current apartment. Anything else I should be looking at/asking?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

The plastic inside basically disintegrated so the switch no longer functions. It's currently in 4-5 pieces or so.

I want you to know that I have never advised this before, but for someone with (now) an advanced electrical problem who knows so little about electrical wiring that they mis-wired a one-pole switch... I think you should call an electrician (or at least a handyman) to troubleshoot the problem. Honestly it can't be complicated so shouldn't cost much, but you are not in a position to further troubleshoot the issue.

FISHMANPET posted:

Anything else I should be looking at/asking?
If you want to stay long-term, ask about a long-term lease... for whatever the term you want to stay is.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

photomikey posted:

I want you to know that I have never advised this before, but for someone with (now) an advanced electrical problem who knows so little about electrical wiring that they mis-wired a one-pole switch... I think you should call an electrician (or at least a handyman) to troubleshoot the problem. Honestly it can't be complicated so shouldn't cost much, but you are not in a position to further troubleshoot the issue.

The wires are completely unlabeled and painted over, so it was basically impossible to tell which one was the ground.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

DEAR RICHARD posted:

New people moved in to the apartment next to my girlfriend and are already complete assholes. In the span of about a week, they've already proved that they:

-love blasting lovely club music at nearly all hours of the day
-love letting their door slam shut (this is loud enough that it shakes her door)
-come home late from the bar with company, blast music and talk extremely loud
-smoke weed in their apartment (non smoking community)
-have company that walks naked down the halls (allegedly)

She's already asked them to close their door instead of letting it slam. She's left a couple of voicemails with the building management, but is under the impression that they don't check voicemail. I told her to make an in person complaint.

My deal is that I work two jobs. One of my jobs is club security. I really don't want to knock on their door because it won't be a friendly visit. Since I'm not on the lease, this will have a negative affect on her.

What other course of action does she have?

I feel like I need to update this:

She's made a few complaints to management, who told her to document everything they do. Management made an informal phone call warning where they strongly hinted that these people adhere to the rules and be respectful of their neighbors. Apparently they were apologetic over the phone, and quieted down for a couple of days. And then it was back to the beginning.

She's been back to the office a few times since about them and the office actually put a note on their door. They've seemed okay, I guess since then, except for the occasional loudness.

My girlfriend isn't exaggerating poo poo here. These people are really out of line compared to everyone else around them. She's been there for years now and this is the first time she's complained to the office about anything.

So now, gum is mysteriously showing up on the lock to her door. Happened last night, and I tried to convince both her and myself that it was just some dumb drunk prank or whatever. That was until someone did it again tonight. I told her to go to the office again tomorrow, but to not out right accuse anybody.

tl;dr Neighbors that had an official complaint lobbied against them are probably maybe most likely sticking chewed up gum to the key hole on my girlfriend's apartment door. Sorry to e/n post in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Call the police, depending on your State they may be forced to evict :siren: