Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Spergbank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spunkcoin

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

At first I honestly thought it was a play on this, for bitcoin or something similar.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm just curious but can anyone tell me what exactly has happened in the last six years (besides OBAMAAAAAAA) that has people so worried about their guns being taken?

It looks to me like they are just making laws that were already there more strict, and maybe it'll take you a few days to pass a background check but really, what specifically has happened?

A lot of people I know are freaking out about the possibility of their guns being taken. And there are a few politicians out there who think guns should be taken, but really, what has actually happened?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
There was like one economic sanction (lol) against Russia that banned the import of russian-made AKs or something.

Oh and every time some schizo autist with a gun goes and frags some kiddies the gun control crowd rage explodes and the pro-gun crowd screams "THE END IS NIGH".

That's about it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Oh.

So really, nothing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Co-morbidity with the general right wing sense that America is being taken away from them, which is in turn fueled by the tragic dawning of an age in which it is not okay to treat women like property, gays are considered people, and shifting social standards enable minorities to complain about being murdered or even sometimes hold high elected office. And also the average American getting poorer. And the average right winger is crawling ever closer to death's door. It all comes together in sort of a proto-fascist haze of simultaneous indignation and revulsion at the future, a sense that rights have been taken away and more deprivations are just around the corner. Fortunately the people who feel this way are useless and we are not in danger of an actual uprising. Just really lovely facebook memes. Endless, endless facebook memes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cole posted:

I'm just curious but can anyone tell me what exactly has happened in the last six years (besides OBAMAAAAAAA) that has people so worried about their guns being taken?

It looks to me like they are just making laws that were already there more strict, and maybe it'll take you a few days to pass a background check but really, what specifically has happened?
Well, in the immediate aftermath of Newtown, Feinstein resurrected her proposed federal Assault Weapons ban, which looked for a while to have a serious chance of passing.

-Maryland passed an assault weapons ban and banned magazines larger than ten, and added new background check requirements.
-Connecticut expanded their assault weapons ban, and banned magazines larger than ten, and added new background check requirements.
-New York banned magazines larger than seven so that they could stay on the cutting edge of loving with gun owners, banned face-to-face transfers, and expanded their definition of assault weapon, including provisions for confiscation.
-Colorado banned all magazines larger than 15.
-A Washington ballot initiative banned face-to-face transfers in every way, creating both a nonsensical law that they've already stated their intention to selectively enforce, and the fun captive market seen in California. The sponsors have already said they're planning to introduce another initiative with tighter restrictions.
-California couldn't really do a lot more, but passed a bunch of little measures, and made it effectively impossible to register new handguns for sale.
The ATF is planning to require your police chief to sign off on NFA items for trusts, which makes them effectively banned in places where the Chief Law Enforcement Officer doesn't sign NFA forms.

-Executive action banned the re-import of US military surplus, but there isn't much of that left out there.
-A bunch of Russian firearms manufacturers were sanctioned as part of the general "gently caress You" to Russia over Crimea, but most of their products are also produced in various other Eastern European countries.

Basically: On the federal level, gun control isn't moving very far as long as Republicans control one or more houses of Congress. On the state level, a lot of states are continuing to chip away at legal gun ownership in small and large ways. No one really expects total confiscation tomorrow, but it's clear that the legislative strategy is to move incrementally towards a de facto ban on new gun ownership, or just make it enough of a pain in the rear end to whittle down legal gun owners as a constituency. See also: smoking, abortion.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 21, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Cole posted:

Newtown.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Soon we'll repeal the Hughes Amendment :greenangel:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Best Friends posted:

the tragic dawning of an age in which it is not okay to treat women like property, gays are considered people, and shifting social standards enable minorities to complain about being murdered or even sometimes hold high elected office.

hosed up if true.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ManMythLegend posted:

hosed up if true.

Nm not the drunk thread :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 21, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, in the immediate aftermath of Newtown, Feinstein resurrected her proposed federal Assault Weapons ban, which looked for a while to have a serious chance of passing.

-Maryland passed an assault weapons ban and banned magazines larger than ten, and added new background check requirements.
-Connecticut expanded their assault weapons ban, and banned magazines larger than ten, and added new background check requirements.
-New York banned magazines larger than seven so that they could stay on the cutting edge of loving with gun owners, banned face-to-face transfers, and expanded their definition of assault weapon, including provisions for confiscation.
-Colorado banned all magazines larger than 15.
-A Washington ballot initiative banned face-to-face transfers in every way, creating both a nonsensical law that they've already stated their intention to selectively enforce, and the fun captive market seen in California. The sponsors have already said they're planning to introduce another initiative with tighter restrictions.
-California couldn't really do a lot more, but passed a bunch of little measures, and made it effectively impossible to register new handguns for sale.
The ATF is planning to require your police chief to sign off on NFA items for trusts, which makes them effectively banned in places where the Chief Law Enforcement Officer doesn't sign NFA forms.

-Executive action banned the re-import of US military surplus, but there isn't much of that left out there.
-A bunch of Russian firearms manufacturers were sanctioned as part of the general "gently caress You" to Russia over Crimea, but most of their products are also produced in various other Eastern European countries.

Basically: On the federal level, gun control isn't moving very far as long as Republicans control one or more houses of Congress. On the state level, a lot of states are continuing to chip away at legal gun ownership in small and large ways. No one really expects total confiscation tomorrow, but it's clear that the legislative strategy is to move incrementally towards a de facto ban on new gun ownership, or just make it enough of a pain in the rear end to whittle down legal gun owners as a constituency. See also: smoking, abortion.

The NRA and gun groups stepped up their game bigtime to counter a huge publicity push by Michael Bloomberg and Mayors Against Guns in the wake of Newtown. This is why it's all over facebook and poo poo these days.

Magpul threatened to leave Colorado if the magazine ban passed. It did, and they loving followed through on their threat. All their manufacturing and whatnot is in Wyoming and the hq moved to Texas.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Didn't Beretta tell Maryland to eat a dick as well?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Ya

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2014/07/22/beretta-usa-move-manufacturing-gallatin/13009121/

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Remington took a sweet us mfg contract for sniper rifles ($80 mil IIRC) and some tax rebates after ny safe was passed so they wouldn't leave and then told ny to go gently caress themselves and is packing up and leaving ilion for greener (southern) pastures. Numerous companies are fleeing the ne in the wake of state anti gun laws. Kimber, pof, something like ten more.

Nra caught nothing but bell after Newtown and still does. I wouldn't say the nra stepped up their game so much as a boatload of people bought ars and aks after aurora then panicked some more after Newtown when they saw the writing on the wall. Lo and behold when Obama called for a new assault weapons ban after four years of obamatars saying that wouldn't happen people had enough and started pushing back.

Combine this w more more social media guys coming out (colion noir, etc) and gamers learning that real life shooting is fun and suddenly there's a new crop of people who are sick of anti gun sjw bullshit. It's only in the last year that the nra has started actually taking advantage and reaching out to the younger generation, and they snatched up a bunch of YouTube commentator people when they saw how well it was working. Including colion noir, amidst the noise, raso etc.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 21, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
gently caress you cole you loving retard look what you did

:gas:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shooting guns is fun but not really fun enough to get all bent out of shape over laws. Cool thing to do every few months or so with a range rental I guess

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

http://pix11.com/2014/12/20/video-nypd-officers-turn-away-from-mayor-de-blasio-as-he-enters-police-presser/

Just caught this on national news over here, is there anything deBlasio specifically hosed up himself in dealing with the shooting or the past couple of months since Ferguson?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
He makes Bloomberg seem reasonable.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Shooting guns is fun but not really fun enough to get all bent out of shape over laws. Cool thing to do every few months or so with a range rental I guess

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

yeah. i think the main reason people buy guns (or at least AR and AK type rifles) is because they're fun, grown-up bang-bang toys. you get to customize it and do nerd poo poo. you learn to take it apart and put it back together. but it's hard to justify spending a whole lot of money on a toy, so people bring in self-defense or political reasons.

but odds are, if you have the money to spend on one of these things, dropping $1,000 for a toy you won't play with very often, you probably have a good degree of personal security in your life. and a lot of people with guns who think they're going to fight the government are neckbearded fatsos, with bad knees and so on.

you're not going to be fighting anyone but the buffet manager when he's trying to kick you out for eating all the restaurant's food, let alone fight off 19-year-old marines or whoever. you're beyond fighting age, homie.

but what's wrong with it just being a toy? that's how hunter s. thompson treated them. he was a gun freak but never into the right-wing agenda thing. but if you say that, people think you're giving up the argument to the anti-gun side, or they think you're a psycho for being attracted to these things. well, i am attracted to guns! they're awesome as gently caress.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 21, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress anybody who cries about background checks. I'm fine with "sane" people owning assault weapons but that ought to be determined before you're allowed to purchase one, or transfer it to your dumbass friend. It's really hard to be on the side of pro-gun people when they go and act like a bunch of douchebags after a mass shooting.

Another contributing factor is that the mental health system in this country is in shambles thanks to Reagan defunding it on the right, and "psychiatric victims" morons on the far left. An elderly lady got stabbed to death in a grocery store here last week by a schizophrenic guy who was in and out of jail on a pretty regular basis. Of course nobody wants to pay for facilities to put people like this so they're either in jail for short periods of time, or walking around on the street ready to go off at any time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, the biggest obstacle to me owning guns is the price of gun ownership. I've got a .22lr and a Mosin Nagant. Because those are cheap guns. What's the NRA doing about that? If I join them, all I get is a very unfashionable hat with the NRA logo and a subscription to the godawful American Rifleman. They could at least subsidize my next gun purchase, or give me some free ammo.

If guns are a right, like education and healthcare and housing are rights, then affordable guns should be a political priority. But the idea of cheap guns in the hands of the poor isn't something that either the left or right is interested in. No loving way that's going to happen. No siree.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Omi-Polari posted:

Honestly, the biggest obstacle to me owning guns is the price of gun ownership. I've got a .22lr and a Mosin Nagant. Because those are cheap guns. What's the NRA doing about that? If I join them, all I get is a very unfashionable hat with the NRA logo and a subscription to the godawful American Rifleman. They could at least subsidize my next gun purchase, or give me some free ammo.

If guns are a right, like education and healthcare and housing are rights, then affordable guns should be a political priority. But the idea of cheap guns in the hands of the poor isn't something that either the left or right is interested in. No loving way that's going to happen. No siree.

NRA doesn't care about you because you can't afford to buy expensive guns. Always remember that the NRA is a trade group first, and everything 2nd Amendment next.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Duzzy Funlop posted:

http://pix11.com/2014/12/20/video-nypd-officers-turn-away-from-mayor-de-blasio-as-he-enters-police-presser/

Just caught this on national news over here, is there anything deBlasio specifically hosed up himself in dealing with the shooting or the past couple of months since Ferguson?

I just googled it and got nothing but empty bitching. You know how, "Maybe not all men are rapists?," sends some internet-feminists into hysterics?

quote:

After cowardly backing the race narrative against cops, De Blasio actually had the gall to show his pathetic face at the press conference for the ambush murder of two NYPD policemen. In recent days the police union was calling to bar DeBlasio from all police funerals because they felt he would be insulting their sacrifice.

I hear De Blasio opposed stop-and-frisk and married a black chick.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Omi-Polari posted:

but what's wrong with it just being a toy? that's how hunter s. thompson treated them. he was a gun freak but never into the right-wing agenda thing. but if you say that, people think you're giving up the argument to the anti-gun side, or they think you're a psycho for being attracted to these things. well, i am attracted to guns! they're awesome as gently caress.

He was in the NRA.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

He was in the NRA.

NRA was not always the hosed up org it is now. When I was in high school(late 90s) my government teacher was an active member of both ACLU and NRA, and there was no conflict involved.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
Let's take it to I-Space!

ManMythLegend posted:

I hate conversations like this because, like, I want to participate but I can't remember which stuff I know is classified and which stuff is not.

One of you dorks start a SIPR or JWCS GiP so we can do this right.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Odradek posted:

Let's take it to I-Space!

I left the IC so I got no idea what your talking about. But lol my joking about section 702 collects on GiP and D&D posters are either gonna UNIRONICALLY turn out to be real and true and that'd be lol as gently caress... Or if you dipshits for real try and coordinate something on JWICS in the open here on the forums we really all should be section 702 collection targets based on "pretty "reasonable "arguments "made by "DNI "Lawyers." :airquote:for each " up there.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Someone dun hacked a german steel mill, destroying at least one main furnace

http://www.focus.de/digital/computer/angriff-auf-it-infrastruktur-bsi-bericht-hacker-legten-deutsches-stahlwerk-lahm_id_4355054.html

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute

Obama Africanus posted:

I left the IC so I got no idea what your talking about. But lol my joking about section 702 collects on GiP and D&D posters are either gonna UNIRONICALLY turn out to be real and true and that'd be lol as gently caress... Or if you dipshits for real try and coordinate something on JWICS in the open here on the forums we really all should be section 702 collection targets based on "pretty "reasonable "arguments "made by "DNI "Lawyers." :airquote:for each " up there.

I-Space is the old A-Space...as long as there is no obscene material we should be able to discuss most issues at the JWICS level. As long as it is kept professional, there should be no problems. It won't be as much fun without the ability to drunk post, of course.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Odradek posted:

I-Space is the old A-Space...as long as there is no obscene material we should be able to discuss most issues at the JWICS level. As long as it is kept professional, there should be no problems. It won't be as much fun without the ability to drunk post, of course.

Obama Africanus posted:

Would you ever want goons knowing your real name and having direct access to your chain of command without your knowledge?
I'm going to go with somewhere between "no" and "hell no."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

no but you don't understand how else are we going to keep our government that possesses drones, stealth bombers, cruise missiles, tanks, and a massive logistics network capable of maintaining that in check if we can't have our guns

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And this is why we get "civilian control of the military is a good thing, respect the office if not the man" drilled into us over and over from day one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

The reason is that most gun control arguments start from a needs-based argument, as in "You don't need XYZ." No matter how often the fallacy of a needs based argument is pointed out, people continue to make them and find them persuasive. Rights are something both the average person on the street and the courts are much more sensitive to limiting, and the only right firearms ownership has been legally connected to at the federal level is self-defense. The second amendment has not been held to protect firearms ownership for the purposes of hunting, shooting skeet, hobbies, or "they're awesome as gently caress." Self defense is the most solid legal ground to stand on; defining ownership of firearms as a hobby rather than a right means accepting a much lower standard for restricting it.

Casimir Radon posted:

gently caress anybody who cries about background checks. I'm fine with "sane" people owning assault weapons but that ought to be determined before you're allowed to purchase one, or transfer it to your dumbass friend.
A few problems with universal background checks. First, it creates a captive market. The only people allowed to transfer firearms are licensed firearms dealers, who have an incentive to sell guns from their own stock rather than facilitate a secondary market. California FFLs charge upwards of $50 on top of the state's $25 fee to transfer a gun from another dealer's stock, which is typically the only way to buy or ship guns long distance. (For comparison, in the midwest a flat $20 fee is common.) For a $200 shotgun or $150 .22 rifle, this is a significant fraction of the cost. Some will not do private party transactions at all on firearms that they carry for retail.

It also creates a lot of ridiculous edge cases, because the law involves simple possession, not sales. Hand a firearm to someone, outside the confines of your own home or a licensed shooting range? Breaking the law. Let's say someone is getting deployed for six months, and wants to give their guns to a close friend or cousin (non-immediate family member) for safekeeping. With universal background checks, they have to find a dealer willing to do the transfer, get a certificate of eligibility (and pay the associated fee) depending on the gun and state, pay the dealer's fee for each gun, then do the whole process again when they return.

Finally, it doesn't stop a lot of the people it's supposed to catch. In order to stop crazy people from getting guns, we would have to diagnose and register people likely to become violent in advance, something we already struggle with. The guy who shot up UCSB had no prior diagnosis. Adam Lanza never bought a gun; he killed his mother and stole hers. It's already a crime to give a gun to someone who would be prohibited from purchasing it themselves, but criminals would continue to have friends, relatives and intimate partners make straw purchases for them.

I think universal background checks could be good idea in theory, but let's not pretend there aren't practical problems in implementation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Magazine bans are the worst kind of knee-jerk, pointless, "one person shits their pants everyone wears diapers" reaction that accomplishes nothing.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

That pretty much sums up gun control and really any thing in this lovely country.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

NRA was not always the hosed up org it is now. When I was in high school(late 90s) my government teacher was an active member of both ACLU and NRA, and there was no conflict involved.

Yeah the NRA used to be really sane and levelheaded and let the assault weapons ban pass on their watch lol. gently caress the old NRA, if you ever compromise youre a communist non gipper, the best forum out there on the bottom half of sa besides coups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
In some ways, I prefer the old, craven NRA to the new "Waterboarding is how we baptize terrorists" NRA.

• Locked thread