Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I married Akihiko sempai because he's so dreamy~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Dr. Fetus posted:

The way the group date cafe works, is that the first question determines the sex of your partner. Then it asks you a bunch of questions where one answer will determine your partner. If you answer one of those questions "right" the rest of the questions will be filler questions that doesn't influence your choices in any way. If you answer them all "wrong" the last question will outright ask you who's your type.

The possible partners are split into 4 groups. The first two questions determine what group you get. The rest are for picking your individual partner.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Actually, how do you replay the quiz? It says you can, but I wasn't interested at the time when I first revisited the Group Date Cafe, so I completely forgot what I needed to do.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10 posted:

Actually, how do you replay the quiz? It says you can, but I wasn't interested at the time when I first revisited the Group Date Cafe, so I completely forgot what I needed to do.

You need to go visit the same question rooms in order.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Question, with regards to Evil Spirit Club 1: Why do they gotta chase you? Why is that necessary? Also why are their heads that way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

projecthalaxy posted:

Question, with regards to Evil Spirit Club 1: Why do they gotta chase you? Why is that necessary? Also why are their heads that way.

Because it's a puzzle game. A weird puzzle game that you can choose to skip by killing things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just kill them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm about to finish Group Date Cafe but I've been answering stuff with the hope of getting Kanji

Also it seems like the party members stopped talking to each other :( Early on they had unique responses to one another and it was pretty cool, I think it's because I tossed the P3 MC into the middle of a P4 party.

Kanji and Naoto worry about each other but that's it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The characters pair off like you'd expect mostly, or at least they continue on from the games in the same fashion. Chie and Yukiko talk a lot, Akihiko and Shinjiro pal around, Teddie and Koromaru get a lot of scenes together. Yukari and Junpei are usually in the same scenes as well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think THE AWESOME GHOST was talking about the battle quips, although those work pretty much the same way. Chie/Yukiko and Kanji/Naoto give you extra lines, I'm assuming the other typical pairings do too. I'm not sure if the MCs have lines for anyone, but I have P3MC in a party with nobody else from P3(and P4MC as my main, so he gets no lines at all), so I'm not in a position to tell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's still true in the same way I said. Chie/Yukiko get extra lines, etc. That was how it was in P4 with the follow up attacks as well, they were all paired off. Naoto and Kanji had a follow up attack there as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just got this to have a way to kill time during holiday travel, which characters are good in which row? Gotta start planning my party before I even turn the game on natch'

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Countblanc posted:

I just got this to have a way to kill time during holiday travel, which characters are good in which row? Gotta start planning my party before I even turn the game on natch'
Rows only matter for physical attacks, and even then only for certain ones. You can tell by whether it says RN(Ranged) or ML(Melee). The game will recommend rows for characters based on their weapon, but you'll never use their weapon for anything but inflicting statuses(and you can change rows mid-battle).

Basically put 2 or 3 tanky melee dudes(Kanji, Aigis, etc) in front and everyone else in back.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I think THE AWESOME GHOST was talking about the battle quips, although those work pretty much the same way. Chie/Yukiko and Kanji/Naoto give you extra lines, I'm assuming the other typical pairings do too. I'm not sure if the MCs have lines for anyone, but I have P3MC in a party with nobody else from P3(and P4MC as my main, so he gets no lines at all), so I'm not in a position to tell.

p3mc has lines with aigis, and i remember at least one with shinji. and when they first talked about battle chat before the game was released, p4mc and yosuke were one of the examples.

Haifisch posted:

Rows only matter for physical attacks, and even then only for certain ones. You can tell by whether it says RN(Ranged) or ML(Melee). The game will recommend rows for characters based on their weapon, but you'll never use their weapon for anything but inflicting statuses(and you can change rows mid-battle).

Basically put 2 or 3 tanky melee dudes(Kanji, Aigis, etc) in front and everyone else in back.

aigis being tanky as gently caress is precisely why you want her in the back row so she can be even tankier. give her pain eater and laugh as everything struggles to damage her.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've been using this guide to see all the scenes for the group date cafe.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/739685-persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth/70676810

Running through all those doors gets loving tedious after a while but the P4MC's face on the picture gets me every time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to likely ask this yet again, but are there any go-to Sub skills? I'm already slow playing this game too much, I don't need extra time wasted in farming bad or less effective skill cards.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Crabtree posted:

Sorry to likely ask this yet again, but are there any go-to Sub skills? I'm already slow playing this game too much, I don't need extra time wasted in farming bad or less effective skill cards.

Some of the best skills don't show up as skillcards until high levels (Myriad Arrows is the mainstay offensive skill for physical attackers once it becomes available, but there's a gap of about 20 levels between the first persona that gets it and the first one that will produce a skill card of it), but healing skills and buffs/debuffs are usually a good bet and start to show up reasonably early. Aside from that, pick skills that fit the character's strategy: your status/instant death inflicter wants Impure Reach and a couple of her favourite ailment skills, while if you have a link user you can give them a couple of link-related skills as well as Bestial Roar/Dragon's Cry.

Skills that can't be passed down during fusion, like Stagnant Air, Golden Link and Heroic Gemini, are always a good choice for skill cards. Again, though, most of those skills don't show up as skillcards until the mid/late-game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Marogareh posted:

I've been using this guide to see all the scenes for the group date cafe.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/739685-persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth/70676810

Running through all those doors gets loving tedious after a while but the P4MC's face on the picture gets me every time.

If it helps, around 70% of the combinations are up in English on youtube already.
I can't imagine what it's like going through that place over and over. Must be tedious as hell.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aw poo poo I think I already placed myself into the "can't get Kanji" bucket. Well maybe Koromaru is good.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Looking through a list of sub-personas and their skills, is there really nothing higher level than astaroth with salome's kiss?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
To add to the battle conversation jump-off lines, after a certain story scene in the P3 side, Yukari and Mitsuru started to bounce off each other. I'd have to guess that Shinjiro and Akihiko do too, but I didn't use them both in my party at the same time. (the other two in my party were usually Zen and Shinji)

Using P3MC/Yosuke/Chie/Teddie/Naoto in my P4 run and haven't noticed anything yet, but hopefully I will?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

aigis being tanky as gently caress is precisely why you want her in the back row so she can be even tankier. give her pain eater and laugh as everything struggles to damage her.
This is exactly what I do. Shen Safeguard activates the enemies do even less damage :allears:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

As discussed yesterday, here is a YouTube playlist with all the destined partners (from P3MC's perspective) as well as most of the other cutscenes, for your convenience. It shows the answers to give and the wedding scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz3Xynbd6jSiXt25wUq8tbHGBrK2A9WUb

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So am I better off Trying to rotate people in and out to keep them leveled or just sticking to the few I actually like?

Also just got to the third floor of the first labyrinth and gently caress the big beetle enemies. Is there weakness to them besides Ice? Hama and Mudo whiffed last time I could cast them and he tends to one shot my party members who can cast those. I've been getting by by popping the Defense up Party Skill.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Probably better to stick to one team. You'll have to get both protagonists to 55 to evolve your Personas but that's not a problem if you stick the latest growth acc you've got on him if you're not using him in your party. You can also start buying growth 2 and 3 once you reach the last dungeon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dastardly posted:

Probably better to stick to one team. You'll have to get both protagonists to 55 to evolve your Personas but that's not a problem if you stick the latest growth acc you've got on him if you're not using him in your party. You can also start buying growth 2 and 3 once you reach the last dungeon.

Good to know. Now I don't have to try and lug and Zen and Rei around. They're not exactly great characters. Also, I picked P4 side because I didn't want to listen to the P3 cast bicker among themselves for 5 hours before getting both parties, what weapon did they give the P3 Protag?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A sword. Same as P3P.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

A sword. Same as P3P.

Ah so I guess Mitsuru and P3MC have just different swords then.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ah so I guess Mitsuru and P3MC have just different swords then.

Yeah, Mitsuru's is a fencing saber which you primarily stab with, and MC's is a broad blade you slash with.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Also just got to the third floor of the first labyrinth and gently caress the big beetle enemies. Is there weakness to them besides Ice? Hama and Mudo whiffed last time I could cast them and he tends to one shot my party members who can cast those. I've been getting by by popping the Defense up Party Skill.

burning beetles are basically the game's way of saying "hey you should probably be using ailments/binds".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Good to know. Now I don't have to try and lug and Zen and Rei around. They're not exactly great characters.

Zen and Rei are incredible by every measure except Myriad Arrows spam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah. Zen and Rei are kinda bad.

Their damage gets pretty quickly outpaced even if you ignore Myraid Arrows spam. Perhaps more importantly they lack the flexibility of literally every other character. They can't be readily customized and they can't equip Persona and there are a ton of really obvious gaps in their movesets. They lack any meaningful debuff besides Curse which is a real serious issue in a game where debuffs are so powerful. Their healing spells are also pretty inferior. Being able to remove debuffs from only a single row sucks compared to the hit-all recovery spells you get really early on. Even the fact that they get good magic doesn't really matter because it takes them until level 63 to hit their full stride at which point characters have upgraded Personas and high-level spells just as a matter of fact.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zen and Rei are trapped in a niche they don't excel at.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Aw, that's sad, I really like the two of them. Oh well, plenty of other characters who are also cool to use.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Aw, that's sad, I really like the two of them. Oh well, plenty of other characters who are also cool to use.

Yeah, it sort of sucks. I get what they were going for with them. (Two 'pre-built' characters who you can't gently caress up and who always function at a dependable level of power.) They just didn't have them built well enough to fill that niche.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Zen and Rei are mediocre but they aren't Teddie.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're not so bad that you can't use them. It's just kind of a bummer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to fuse a new persona for MC Hammer but I really want to keep Lunar Blessing. Why can't I give that to something else? :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Len posted:

I want to fuse a new persona for MC Hammer but I really want to keep Lunar Blessing. Why can't I give that to something else? :(

Well, where else are you going to find another moon princess? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So I managed to :airquote:solve:airquote: the 4th floor puzzle in the evil spirit club, but now Elizabeth gave me a request where the hint is 3 3 2 4 2 x. What rooms do I go to to solve this one?

• Locked thread