Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Pretty much what Trastion said, I have a 40" as well and it has served me fairly well, and I have made tons of tasty poo poo in it.
One thing I can not recommend enough is no matter where you buy it, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!, some people have gone years without anything happening to theirs, some less than a year, some just a few months, the few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind, the heating element went out on mine and had to be replaced with my extended warranty, also the first unit I got went out in eight months before I got that one.

That being said I have the AMPS, the Tube Smoker, and the original AMNS and these things are amazing, also serve as a great time saver since you don't have to reload the chip tray every 30~40 minutes or whatever the gently caress it is.
I honestly never got the hang of using the pellets and have stuck with using the sawdust, think my problem was not initially lighting it long enough for it to keep a good enough coal bed to last the entire cook.

Todd is pretty awesome, and you should buy his product(s) is pretty much what I am trying to say.

Which one of those (AMPS, etc) would you suggest I buy? I want to increase the smoke flavor/ring if possible. Which seems to work the best for you with the 40"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Trastion posted:

Which one of those (AMPS, etc) would you suggest I buy? I want to increase the smoke flavor/ring if possible. Which seems to work the best for you with the 40"?

You are not going to get much of a smoke ring, if any at all in an electric smoker, that being I prefer the AMPS (that way you have the option of sawdust or pellets,) I have the 6x8 that I use in mine.

The tube smoker works better in gas grills.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bone_Enterprise posted:

You are not going to get much of a smoke ring.

A smoke ring is overrated, I can bake a brisket in the oven and get a heavy smoke ring.

Trastion posted:

I want to increase the smoke flavor/ring if possible"?

Smoke ring and a smoke flavor are two very different things.

Long answer: The smoke ring is just an interaction between a pink protein in meat named myoglobin with the gases nitric oxide (NO) and carbon monoxide (CO). NO and CO are made by the combination of carbon and nitrogen with oxygen during the combustion of wood or charcoal. NO and CO are not very stable so they willingly mix it up with wet meat juices and basting liquids on the surface. These dissolved gases react with the iron in the myoglobin and prevent it from changing color when the meat is cold. Some meat packers are now injecting CO into the packaging to keep the meat bright pink longer.

Like many proteins, myoglobin changes color permanently when it breaks down after exposure to heat. In beef the meat goes from purple to red to pink to gray at very specific temperatures, and that is what defines rare, medium rare, well done, etc. Once myoglobin breaks down, at about 170°F in beef and 100°F in tuna, the game is over, it cannot return to pink.

While meat is starting to cook, if NO or CO land on the surface and dissolve into the meat, they "fix" the color pink while the rest of the meat heats up and goes to gray. But NO and CO cannot diffuse very far beyond the surface before the meat beneath it heats up, dooming the myoglobin in the interior to a colorless fate. As a result, the pink forms a thin layer, the smoke ring, which usually only goes about 1/8" deep, although, under some circumstances, it can go up to 1/2" deep.

Short answer: The smoke ring is formed by nitrogen gas released by the wood exposed to very high combustion temps to form nitrous oxide (NO2) which then reacts with pigments in the meat.

Now how to add a smoke ring without smoke? Before you cook it do a rub of Morton Tender Quick, let it sit for about 30 minutes then wash it all off, and then you prepare it for cooking. Morton Tender Quick contains sodium nitrates which like smoke gets absorbed into the meat and creates a smoke ring. Now you can get a smoke ring like a pro and learn why judges don't value a smoke ring as much anymore

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 5, 2014

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Tenzarin posted:

A smoke ring is overrated, I can bake a brisket in the oven and get a heavy smoke ring.

That is nice dear, I never said anything about a smoke ring being a thing that was necessary to make good bbq either.

I give no shits about the smoke ring at all, more for appearance in my opinion.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Bone_Enterprise posted:

That is nice dear, I never said anything about a smoke ring being a thing that was necessary to make good bbq either.

I give no shits about the smoke ring at all, more for appearance in my opinion.

He's just further elaborating on your point though, not trying to detract from the idea. Why are people such uptight shits over just little perceived slights?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

KettleWL posted:

Why are people such uptight shits over just little perceived slights?

The Internet.

Ezreail
Mar 25, 2013

d3rt posted:

The Internet.
Isn't that the truth

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I did kind of think that this thread was above that pithy attitude but here we are.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Two in the pink?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Pellet smokers: I can get a Daniel Boone green mountain grill with the wifi control module for like $650 after the $75 rebate. I really really really like the idea of having a system that I can control from my phone, and their customer support told me about their technical roadmap and may give me access to the grill's API.
Other than me just dropping $2k on a new stove and dishwasher which have yet to get here, I'm having a hard time convincing myself this is a bad idea. Is this a bad idea? http://greenmountaingrills.com/products/

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

KettleWL posted:

He's just further elaborating on your point though, not trying to detract from the idea. Why are people such uptight shits over just little perceived slights?

I guess I took it wrong then, oh well.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
This will be my first winter after buying my smoker (Weber Smokey Mountain) and I'm curious how it will work as the temperatures in my area drop. Specifically I was thinking about cold smoking some bacon and I was curious if the colder temperatures outside will make it easier to keep the temperature low. Follow up question, if the WSM itself can't stay within cold smoking range and I use an external smokebox, will there be detrimental effects if the inside of the smoker gets too cold (we're likely looking at temperatures in the 30s).

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

20lbs of kielbasa. It took three loving hours just to stuff all that. I'm going to smoke it over pecan and apple tomorrow in my big ol' upright drum!

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Looks good man. I made 10 lbs of brats last summer.

Huge pain in the rear end.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

feelz good man posted:

20lbs of kielbasa. It took three loving hours just to stuff all that. I'm going to smoke it over pecan and apple tomorrow in my big ol' upright drum!

Nice. I haven't gotten started on my quest to make some sausages. Hopefully after the holidays. I did smoke 2 large Salmon fillets this weekend though. Nice flaky but very moist and oh so good.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Smoked salmon has become one of the go-to entrees for company. So drat easy, amazingly delicious, and always well-received. I usually just put a little Aleppo pepper and some back pepper on the salmon, put the fillet on a piece of parchment, and throw it on. You can use any spicing you like, or none, though.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

KettleWL posted:

Why are people such uptight shits over just little perceived slights?

Cause this whole thread is mostly people acting like they're experts while they copy paste poo poo off of amazing ribs.com or the smoke ring atlas.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Woof! Woof! posted:

Cause this whole thread is mostly people acting like they're experts while they copy paste poo poo off of amazing ribs.com or the smoke ring atlas.

I'm actually an expert.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Woof! Woof! posted:

The entire internet is mostly people acting like they're experts while they copy paste poo poo off of _______

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

The entire internet is mostly people acting like they're experts while they copy paste poo poo off of _______

Well everything you read on the internet is true, so I can see why people do that.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I smoked a turkey in the wind and the rain yesterday. Had no trouble keeping the 22" WSM at 325 for 3 hours but I burned thorough a lot of charcoal to do it. Next time, I'll use much more rub and maybe stick some garlic or something in the cavity.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

^^ that's what I'm talkin bout!

Well guys it's almost Christmas...

Thanks to UK goon AhDinko, he hooked me up with a local butcher that supplies reasonably priced full packer brisket.

So on Christmas day evening while my bro's family visits his in-laws, I'll be sneaking into his house, firing up my Tectake smoker and doing an overnight smoke so we'll have brisket for boxing day lunch (or maybe dinner) when they get back.

Anyone else planning an Xmas 'cue?

e: and also I'm thinking about half-sauce glazing the brisket towards the end. I've got a massive sauce/sweet tooth. Burnt ends + extras sauced meat.

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 21, 2014

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Just made smoked bacon chocolate chip cookies. They were a hit for co-worker gifts

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I smoked a turkey in the wind and the rain yesterday. Had no trouble keeping the 22" WSM at 325 for 3 hours but I burned thorough a lot of charcoal to do it. Next time, I'll use much more rub and maybe stick some garlic or something in the cavity.

Did you brine it? Also I always warn people that brining and smoking turkey will cause pink meat. People get freaked out by pink and moist turkey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Did you brine it? Also I always warn people that brining and smoking turkey will cause pink meat. People get freaked out by pink and moist turkey.

I always notice this in the drumsticks and thighs. Less on breasts. Those thick drumsticks certainly were both of those things though.

I deboned the thighs this year, stuffed em with turkey mousse and poached em before roasting them.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Jamsta posted:

^^ that's what I'm talkin bout!

Well guys it's almost Christmas...

Thanks to UK goon AhDinko, he hooked me up with a local butcher that supplies reasonably priced full packer brisket.

So on Christmas day evening while my bro's family visits his in-laws, I'll be sneaking into his house, firing up my Tectake smoker and doing an overnight smoke so we'll have brisket for boxing day lunch (or maybe dinner) when they get back.

Anyone else planning an Xmas 'cue?

e: and also I'm thinking about half-sauce glazing the brisket towards the end. I've got a massive sauce/sweet tooth. Burnt ends + extras sauced meat.

We're having a big family dinner, I'm going to spatchcock a turkey and smoke that up, according to amazingribs you can smoke a 6kg turkey in 2.5-3 hours so I can even start it in the morning in time for lunch

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Ahdinko posted:

We're having a big family dinner, I'm going to spatchcock a turkey and smoke that up, according to amazingribs you can smoke a 6kg turkey in 2.5-3 hours so I can even start it in the morning in time for lunch

I smoked two turkeys on Sunday, one spatchcock and one rotisserie, both were in the 17lbs (8kg) range. Had them on the grill about 8, by 11 they were ready to come off. Two of the best turkeys I have done yet, everyone at our family party kept raving how moist and juicy they were. So your times seem pretty acurate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When you spatchcock don't be surprised when they're done early. It depends on your temp but my 7kg was done in I think under 2 hrs. It's the best.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

I didn't brine this one but it was probably "enhanced", I can't remember exactly. This one was a test to see how it goes. When I make one for company, I'll be sure to warn them about the pink color.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

sellouts posted:

When you spatchcock don't be surprised when they're done early. It depends on your temp but my 7kg was done in I think under 2 hrs. It's the best.

Yeah.. my spatchcock one was the last one on the grill and it was the first one off.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

How'd it go?

Just prepped the beef for my smoke. Opened the vac-sealed bag, and found four(!) 3.3lb (1.5kg) briskets with both the point and fat cap nowhere to be found. I think next time I'll have to bring down a guide on how to properly trim them! Dinko - is this similar to what you got?

Still got lots of meat and it's not rolled/strung up and the fun part is yet to come.

Going to stick two of these on the smoker, probably very early morning - if I stuck to my original plan and put them on at midnight, they'll probably be cooked by breakfast!

Vac'd:

Rubbed:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I smoked an 8 pound pork shoulder on the weber performer two days ago. Just shy of 12 hours on. Fed 6 people and still had 3 pounds left over. Down to a pound and a half, gonna make breakfast sandwiches tomorrow morning and probably finish it off. Fantastic, but I might have shot myself in the foot. I had convinced the wife that a WSM was needed and now she thinks I don't need one at all...

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
^ Hurt by your own skill. Story of life. :(
--
I'm dog/house sitting for a friend of mine for a week this April and they've got a BGE! I've used it before to smoke ribs and as a grill, but I've only house sat for a weekend. I've got a pretty flexible schedule and could work at home so the question becomes, what should I make on it?

I'm going to make the standards, ribs, pork shoulder, maybe I'll try my hand at some brisket but those are pretty standard (but delicious) things to make. What sort of more exciting things should I try? I was thinking about trying to smoke some cheese and also smoke some salt. The salt seems like it would be easy enough though. What suggestions do you all have?

edit: I don't have a smoker.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 26, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've got a WSM so the things that interest me most on the BGE are the high temperature stuff like pizza and steak.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Paper With Lines posted:

What suggestions do you all have?

Cook at least one thing that will let you wrap the temp guage all the way back to zero. Thats good fun.

**warning, if you do that don't open the lid straight away, crack it about an inch for a few seconds.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Well, the brisket cooked in about 5 hours, and I left it go too far and overdid it. 30 less and it would have been fine. Still the flavour was great even if it was a bit chewy.

5.30am fire lighting

12.35pm lifted

12.40pm sliced

12.45pm eaten

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
It looks really good

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
That looks really amazing.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Has anybody used a RecTec gril? They look nice.
http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-wood-pellet-grill-rt-680/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

I own one and love it.

I have a WSM as well. Love the WSM, but the RecTec is way more convenient and makes drat good BBQ. When I want a heavier smoke flavor, I just add a tube smoker. Works great.