Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ThomasPaine posted:

If your chancellor is good and/or you get very lucky, you can sometimes fabricate a claim on an entire duke-level title, not just a county. Petty kingdoms are this rank, so that seems like tbe most likely thing. It's not always immediately obvious as you have to read the success letter carefully to see whether it's a ducal claim or a county one, and as they often share names it's quite possible to end up warring for one or the other without noticing.

Worth adding that to do this, you have to have your chancellor working in the capital of the duchy (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Torrannor posted:

I browsed through the CK2 wiki and found out that there is a "Reincarnation" trait. I find India rather boring so I never played there, has anybody experience with the trait? When do you get it and what does it do?

I've never had it happen to me but it appears to be some event (chain?) that triggers on birth for some Hindus, where they are believed to be the reincarnation of one of their ancestors. No idea what bonuses it gives. I'd hazard a guess that it's something related to approval.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Volkerball posted:

Is north korea mode completely nerfed?

Exactly what is North Korea mode? Maintaining an independent petty king status or something?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Nobody Interesting posted:

Exactly what is North Korea mode? Maintaining an independent petty king status or something?

North Korea mode is no vassals what so ever, not even bishops, barons or mayors, where everything is under your control, Like North Korea :v:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can, but you don't get their money anymore.

If you revoke their titles, you get full cash when you banish them. It's only landed characters that you don't get anything from:

code:
	BANISH_TAKE_WEALTH_PERCENTAGE_LANDED = 0,
	BANISH_TAKE_WEALTH_PERCENTAGE_COURTIER = 1,
	BANISH_REALM_SIZE_CHANCE_RATIO_MODIFIER = 2,

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I know Paradox said they wouldn't let the reception of Sunset Invasion on the forums affect silly DLCs in the future, but there hasn't been one since, and it's kind of disappointing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Bold Robot posted:

Worth adding that to do this, you have to have your chancellor working in the capital of the duchy (I think).

Good stuff folks thanks. That was real convenient and about 6 decades worth of conquering at once.

Now I don't know whether to create this kingdom of England or not. It seems like kind of a bad idea and the sort of thing that hosed my last Ireland game cause that second kingdom isn't inherited by the same guy as the first one. So when my guy died my land was screwed cause the Kingdom of Scotland went to my son but the new Irish king was elected. But if I don't create it I don't think that happens. I miss out on the free claims but I preserve my big territory.

Also kind of dumb question, how the hell do I scroll to the side on the realm tree things? There's no slider thing to do so!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kawalimus posted:

Also kind of dumb question, how the hell do I scroll to the side on the realm tree things? There's no slider thing to do so!

You have to click and drag, it's a little awkward. :shobon:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

DrSunshine posted:

You have to click and drag, it's a little awkward. :shobon:

I thought so but it never worked. But RIGHT CLICK did. Weird!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raserys posted:

I know Paradox said they wouldn't let the reception of Sunset Invasion on the forums affect silly DLCs in the future, but there hasn't been one since, and it's kind of disappointing.
Hear, hear.

I don't care how many precious tee-taws got bruised or which frangus got zelped by gunpowder Aztecs, I loved that DLC and now I want my Faust mini-expansion so I can do the Satan cuck thing whenever I want, along with any number of other spooky things. Hunters get pooches? Cool, I want to get a homunculus or something. Lemme trade health for coin (or vice versa) or cure the clap by sacrificing my heir. Sometimes it's okay to be silly in my straightlaced historical sim, especially since I can toggle it all with a click or two at startup.

Also, retinue talk: say I want a retinue that I'd like to use not as a standalone noscope headshot crew, but rather as some force that gets integrated into my levied doomstack. Would that be an overall poor use of my time and money, or can they make a significant contribution with the right composition?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 21, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually a Halloween funny DLC would be great. Replaces all cultures with witches, ghosts, zombies, mummies, vampires, werewolves, frankensteins, and of course SKELETONS. :ghost:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 21, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uh so, has anybody done the 'built an observatory' event that comes from the learning focus and taken it right until the end? I certainly wasn't expecting that.

The player character tries to summon Cthulhu and is torn apart by mystic energies.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kawalimus posted:

I thought so but it never worked. But RIGHT CLICK did. Weird!

It really sucks to try and do it on a laptop. Also congrats. I've played this game for hundreds of hours, and my chancellor has never fabricated a claim on a duchy before.

Synnr posted:

If I wanted to restore the roman empire from londinium, and wanted to get english longbowmen at some point from the old gods start, how do you trigger that culture flip? I'm not sure I understand the wiki page correctly.

Do I just force myself into a norsemen down there, then conquer, say, brittony? Is there a timeframe you have to be in for that to happen? Do you have to be catholic at some point for it to culture flip?

e; And I recall a discussion about the character creator and traits to pick. Anyone know what page that was on? I usually just dump genius onto my guy and call it it day if I bother at all, but I was thinking perhaps wounded/lustful/cruel and I dunno what else.

Genius really isn't worth it. You're better off creating a ruler who can educate all your sons into great characters, rather than one who has a 15 or whatever percent chance of passing on genius. There's a few traits that lower your age by a few years, but only lower a skill by one point. Deceitful and cynical are two of these iirc. So it drops your diplomacy or w/e by one point, but lowers your age 4 or 5 years, meaning you can add 4-5 more skill points to make up for it. I usually take both of those. Also look through the purple traits like ugly. I always take ugly, but I think there's one or two more I really like that will lower your age like 15 years with little punishment. Once you've done that, you can give yourself a 4 star education trait, and dump like 20 points into your skill points and still be 18 years old. Also aggressive leader is a must.

Fake edit: Did a little build just now as an example.

And once I clicked "remove all traits"

As the years go on, you can pick up things like ambitious, brave, and diligent, so by the time your ruler is 35, it gets pretty ridiculous.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Always pick Wounded. If you don't pick any other negative Health traits you are practically guaranteed to recover (getting Scarred and its prestige bonus) and it lowers your age by 11 (iirc? a substantial amount).

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Annath posted:

If I wanted to recreate the Classic Roman Empire, aside from creating a dude in the ruler creator to be Hellenic etc etc, what else would I need to do to make this work?

I'm looking to start in a strong position to recreate the Empire, then play the game to expand, so I'm not averse to using the console to get the board in it starting position.

It is possible without ruler designer or mods, by having the Sons of Abraham DLC and inheriting as a demon spawn King, then the first war you have will bring in a witch with hellenic religion.
To ensure the religion's survival you need to immediately give her land and educate your heirs in her court.
So to make this work, you need to have Cognatic succession law first, which means you may need to become a Cathar heretic before the demonspawn event fires.

DrSunshine posted:

Actually a Halloween funny DLC would be great. Replaces all cultures with witches, ghosts, zombies, mummies, vampires, werewolves, frankensteins, and of course SKELETONS. :ghost:

Sparkly vampire unit pack ahoy!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Uh so, has anybody done the 'built an observatory' event that comes from the learning focus and taken it right until the end? I certainly wasn't expecting that.

The player character tries to summon Cthulhu and is torn apart by mystic energies.

What, really? Do you need to be a lunatic for this to happen? I just got cumulatively about 300 tech points.
It would be amazing if there was a chance to game over by destroying the world.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

Always pick Wounded. If you don't pick any other negative Health traits you are practically guaranteed to recover (getting Scarred and its prestige bonus) and it lowers your age by 11 (iirc? a substantial amount).

I've always wondered about this, but I'd hate to end up maimed or infirm instead of scarred.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Raserys posted:

Maybe it's not because of whining forum babies on the forums but instead because they run a competent business and base their decisions on statistics and sales (no idea if this is true but assuming it's because of forums is just about the dumbest thing).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's really not worth bothering with the standard character creator, I'd recommend just lowering all the costs to 0 in defines.lua so you don't have to do gimmicky poo poo like starting your character as wounded.

Raserys posted:

That probably has more to do with sales than anything else.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 21, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

What, really? Do you need to be a lunatic for this to happen? I just got cumulatively about 300 tech points.
It would be amazing if there was a chance to game over by destroying the world.

My ruler was a lunatic, yeah.

A syphilitic lunatic viking of incredible strength. In 30 years he creates the nation of Sweden, reforms Paganism, turns Sweden into a well-developed feudal society. Then one day, he puts on a wizard hat, walks into the sea chanting and his head explodes. Hell of a way to go. May you be shitfaced in Valhalla for all your days, you beautiful crazy motherfucker.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kainser posted:

It's really not worth bothering with the standard character creator, I'd recommend just lowering all the costs to 0 in defines.lua so you don't have to do gimmicky poo poo like starting your character as wounded.

It's funner to try and game that than to just get absolutely everything you want with no penalty whatsoever.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Wow, uh, my guy discovered the earth revolves around the sun and greatly upset the Patriarch.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What's the point of forming Leon as Asturias? Are there special Leon-only events or something?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Wow, uh, my guy discovered the earth revolves around the sun and greatly upset the Patriarch.

This is where my guy ended up. Not only did I piss off the Caliph but pretty much every Muslim temple owner in the world, it seems. :stonklol:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sheep posted:

What's the point of forming Leon as Asturias? Are there special Leon-only events or something?

The De Jure capital county and duchy change to Leon.

That's about it.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

My ruler was a lunatic, yeah.

A syphilitic lunatic viking of incredible strength. In 30 years he creates the nation of Sweden, reforms Paganism, turns Sweden into a well-developed feudal society. Then one day, he puts on a wizard hat, walks into the sea chanting and his head explodes. Hell of a way to go. May you be shitfaced in Valhalla for all your days, you beautiful crazy motherfucker.

I think that event is from The Old Gods, only available for Norse. The best thing to do is to ram Cthulhu with a longboat.

Deltasquid posted:

You can choose between heliocentrism and Necronomicon by choosing either I wonder how the stars move or there's something out there. I think the latter only gives cultural tech points, but you get a lot of them, while the former can give you points for other tech trees.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is carousing broken? People say they are coming to my party, but then every time it gets cancelled cause nobody comes.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Volkerball posted:

It's funner to try and game that than to just get absolutely everything you want with no penalty whatsoever.

I mean, you can still make all the crippled dwarves you want :shrug:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Stop inviting such flakey people!

I'm really tempted to buy the last 2 expansions and give this a go tonight. I havent been able to play since I married my HRE to the heir of the Byzantine empire, had a kid and found that the bastards switched to elective just before I murdered a path to the crown for him. I could have probably scraped together an invasion but it just burnt me out of that game after I was so sure I had pretty much peacefully created the biggest empire since Rome.

To do the while reuniting Rome thing I want to either start as the HRE or Byzantines and sweep either down through Spain, along Africa and across to the levant or the opposite way, eventually winning whichever one of the two I'm not, don't i? I also need to get Rome early. My last game showed me how valuable a vassalised pope is. The money it generates is insane. The pope himself never gathered enough coin for me to be able to ask him for some cash. It all went straight to me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm starting to get a little annoyed with how Paradox is randomly deciding that places have local language names now. DANMARK. NORGE. MUMU. It's like, I'm playing this game in English, I'd appreciate the English place names. At least I'd like a toggle, like EU4 has, so if I want I can just default to the English place names.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kainser posted:

I mean, you can still make all the crippled dwarves you want :shrug:

Yeah, but there's no incentive to do it, so I wouldn't. I like having it where in order to be a the greatest viking warrior badass in history, I also have to be a clubfooted hunchback with a lisp.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone played as India since the latest expansion? No matter how much piety I accumulated I couldn't subjugate my neighbours, even when they were in the same culture group.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

DStecks posted:

I'm starting to get a little annoyed with how Paradox is randomly deciding that places have local language names now. DANMARK. NORGE. MUMU. It's like, I'm playing this game in English, I'd appreciate the English place names. At least I'd like a toggle, like EU4 has, so if I want I can just default to the English place names.

This gets especially annoying when modding and trying to find a province name in the Middle East when it's changed to something else in Greek. :argh:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DStecks posted:

Really? I love that. The more culture-specific location names the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Though I suppose a toggle wouldn't be too difficult.

Dongattack posted:

Is carousing broken? People say they are coming to my party, but then every time it gets cancelled cause nobody comes.
I had that happen a lot - in fact, I didn't have any successful carousing parties at all. Then I checked out the code governing it and couldn't find any problems. After that, it's worked every time.

I suspect witchcraft.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 21, 2014

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DStecks posted:

Yeah, I much prefer my names being consistent instead of trying to figure out what the hell some localized titles and locations mean, the rest of the UI is in English and "Konung of Sverige" or whatever just looks really stupid in my opinion. At least Vanilla CK2 isn't as bad as some mods that go really over the top with that stuff ( BASILEIA RHÕMAIÕN :negative:).

I didn't realize that EU4 had a toggle for things like that, would be nice if CK2 had it as well.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 21, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I find it amusing that Fylkir Torfinn the Just has just outlawed pants throughout the Empire of Great Skyjland.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sky Shadowing posted:

I find it amusing that Fylkir Torfinn the Just has just outlawed pants throughout the Empire of Great Skyjland.

I wish my Fylkir could do that. I need more male courtiers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I wish my Fylkir could do that. I need more male courtiers.
Gotta get more lunatics in charge, man. They're the best.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Strudel Man posted:

I had that happen a lot - in fact, I didn't have any successful carousing parties at all. Then I checked out the code governing it and couldn't find any problems. After that, it's worked every time.

I suspect witchcraft.

For me it usually works if I pause the game, invite a bunch of people and then wait. Some won't come, others will. Haven't seen it cancelled by doing it this way, but it would routinely fail if I didn't pause and do them all at once. No idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

For me it usually works if I pause the game, invite a bunch of people and then wait. Some won't come, others will. Haven't seen it cancelled by doing it this way, but it would routinely fail if I didn't pause and do them all at once. No idea why.
In the code, it determines whether the party happens or not by whether anyone in your realm has the "carousing" opinion modifier with you, which is granted when you receive their acceptance letter, and lasts for a year. It seems pretty foolproof, but I've certainly seen it fail myself. So it's odd.

• Locked thread