Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emery
Feb 8, 2012
So I booted up MyCareer after the patch and found that it deleted all of my settings, the look of my player, and half my season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

My favorite mode is GM with fantasy draft. The GM mode is cool, though not incredibly engaging. The "relationship" with the owner and other GMs is interesting but in the end it's pretty meaningless. And some of the things you can buy with VC is sorta game breaking (like you can spend VC to get a GM to accept a trade that's somewhat in your favor).

Trade logic, injuries, how other teams build their roster is way better this year.

You can bribe your billionaire owner with fake currency?

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

HiredGun posted:

Is anyone a decent way through a myGM career? How are you finding it? I've never played a "management" mode with bball and was wondering if it was worth sinking some time into.

I'm at the end of the first season with the Jazz and I've really enjoyed it so far. It seems pretty in-depth without being unnecessarily grognardy and overwhelming in its approach. I'm having a lot more fun with it than with MyPlayer.

I'm not super familiar with the actual draft or trade rules of the NBA beyond the basics, so I can't speak to their 100% accuracy but they seem pretty well represented, from what I've read. Haven't encountered any boneheaded AI trades yet, but I haven't reached the off-season so that may change with the entry of regen players, although you can find some pretty generous trades in your favour if you look around. Nothing too stupid, from what I saw, but they seem a little unbalanced.

They got rid of a large part of bullshit VC requirements for basic actions that were in last year. The ones that are in there are few and far between and can easily be afforded with the amount of VC you earn per game.

All in all, five brain neutrals out of five.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm in my third season of GM mode (though it's been a while since I played) and it's pretty cool. Only thing I would say is to be careful with ANY interaction you have with people. Know your players, know which promises (even minor ones like more/less training) you can easily follow up on, and make sure you keep on top of your messages. It's not a mode where you can just sim through months at a time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BIZORT posted:

You can bribe your billionaire owner with fake currency?

And your players, and you can pay 1000 VC and make another GM become Billy King and trade you Ibaka for Thomas Robinson and Vince Carter + a 2017 pick.

Roy Gato III posted:

I'm at the end of the first season with the Jazz and I've really enjoyed it so far. It seems pretty in-depth without being unnecessarily grognardy and overwhelming in its approach. I'm having a lot more fun with it than with MyPlayer.

I'm not super familiar with the actual draft or trade rules of the NBA beyond the basics, so I can't speak to their 100% accuracy but they seem pretty well represented, from what I've read. Haven't encountered any boneheaded AI trades yet, but I haven't reached the off-season so that may change with the entry of regen players, although you can find some pretty generous trades in your favour if you look around. Nothing too stupid, from what I saw, but they seem a little unbalanced.

They got rid of a large part of bullshit VC requirements for basic actions that were in last year. The ones that are in there are few and far between and can easily be afforded with the amount of VC you earn per game.

All in all, five brain neutrals out of five.

They've done a really good job with the trade rules, I think they are basically correct. I wish they'd introduce pick protection, but that would probably be more of a pain in the rear end than its worth.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Probably my favorite 2K moment ever: I had my player trash talk Kobe on fake Twitter, then scored 83 points on 20 threes (the latter shattered an NBA single game record held by Kobe). His response was simply "SMH." I had it set on pro difficulty

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KDdidit posted:

I find Isaiah Thomas is a terror on O for the Suns as well. I just set a screen for him and he's off to the races.

Assuming his short rear end doesn't get blocked.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
Quick question about MyGM mode in 2K15. Do if I still have to manually play all the games or do I set strategy and things and watch the AI carry out like in Football Manager?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

sexy mouse posted:

Quick question about MyGM mode in 2K15. Do if I still have to manually play all the games or do I set strategy and things and watch the AI carry out like in Football Manager?

You have both options

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~

The Glumslinger posted:

You have both options

Is it just a screen with stats or can you actually watch the game play out?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

sexy mouse posted:

Is it just a screen with stats or can you actually watch the game play out?

You can just sim past and check the box scores later, watch the whole game (by not selecting a side) or do a coach mode which lets you set general strategy. You can also just sim long periods at once.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Just had a pre-game shoot around. Never seen that before in mycareer

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

The Duggler posted:

Just had a pre-game shoot around. Never seen that before in mycareer

I just saw a Flagrant foul in mycareer. Never saw that before either. Flagrant 1, but still.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I went into the first offseason in myCareer and various players came into my apartment to recruit me to their teams. Except every single one didn't talk at all or even move their mouths, instead an instrumental played when they were supposed to be talking. All the body movements were still there. It was bizarre.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Lockback posted:

So I went into the first offseason in myCareer and various players came into my apartment to recruit me to their teams. Except every single one didn't talk at all or even move their mouths, instead an instrumental played when they were supposed to be talking. All the body movements were still there. It was bizarre.

Only 1 of 3 players that came to talk to me actually spoke lines - the other 2 did the same as what happened to you. I just assumed they didn't record voiceover for those guys.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I signed with the Sixers in my second season, and Kendall Marshall is the guy that talks to me in cutscenes. I don't even know how they acquired him, but he's like the 3rd PG on the depth chart. I'm an rear end in a top hat to him whenever possible.

Also coach Doc Rivers has the worst rotations. I play every minute of the game except the last two of the 2nd quarter almost every time.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?
Yeah the sub patterns are weird and didn't get fixed in the recent patch as far as I can tell. Almost every single game there is some point where I get subbed in with less than 1 second on the game clock (usually 2nd/3rd quarter).

I had a streak where 3 out of 4 games I got subbed back in with 0.2 seconds left in the 3rd quarter (and the other game I was subbed in with 1.1 left). Then I just had a game yesterday where I got subbed out for literally one possession in the 2nd quarter. Got pulled with 3:00 remaining, and then got one of the Asst Coach "You're going in!" cutscenes...with 3:00 remaining (then had to watch one possession by the AI).

So yeah, thanks coach. Incredibly effective use of time outs.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
gently caress when is the XBone gonna get this patch?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JoeRules posted:

Only 1 of 3 players that came to talk to me actually spoke lines - the other 2 did the same as what happened to you. I just assumed they didn't record voiceover for those guys.

One was Morris from PHX who had lines during the season. It was weird.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Eric Gordon is my mentor guy on the Pelicans, which is funny because he comes across as bitter and trying to sabotage the guy who stole his starting job. After our last game he went through my phone and got mad at me for texting my agent and I yelled at him, this game rules.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Inside Outside posted:

Eric Gordon is my mentor guy on the Pelicans, which is funny because he comes across as bitter and trying to sabotage the guy who stole his starting job. After our last game he went through my phone and got mad at me for texting my agent and I yelled at him, this game rules.

His accent is really incredible, too.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i played some park mode yesterday and it is really fun even if i am horrible at it

everyone is like 92 overall and 7'2" and posterizes my poor little pg all game long

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
How do I adjust the roster in My GM mods to either bench or make someone a starter?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

sexy mouse posted:

How do I adjust the roster in My GM mods to either bench or make someone a starter?

Coaching Settings. There's a place to adjust minutes.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?
Wow the higher difficulty levels are just not fun. I was blowing out teams by like 30+ points on Pro difficulty so I bumped it up one to All-Star (or whatever), thinking "maybe the AI will run plays or something instead of just playing dumb lovely hero ball every possession?" Nope. Now it's just like, MyPlayer & all my teammates are worse and the AI drills a contested jumper after dribbling for 23 seconds on every possession.

Plus my guy moves like he's on ice and it seems to increase the game's tendency to outright ignore whatever buttons I'm pressing - these things already happened but it really seems like the main thing the higher difficulty does is make them more rampant. Maybe I'm just crazy? Like, I'm defending a guy and I know he's about to cut to the basket so I start sprinting towards the basket. But nope. Sprint+move is now the "stand there and let Gerald loving Henderson throw down vicious dunks" button. Unless I'm trying to run over and contest a shot, because then suddenly sprint+move turns into the "run 10 feet past that guy and into the broadcasting table" button :waycool: Guess it's just time to go back to posting triple-doubles every game on Pro

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I had a 55-25-11 game last night and still lost

Why'd I sign with the Sixers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

the wildest turkey posted:

Wow the higher difficulty levels are just not fun. I was blowing out teams by like 30+ points on Pro difficulty so I bumped it up one to All-Star (or whatever), thinking "maybe the AI will run plays or something instead of just playing dumb lovely hero ball every possession?" Nope. Now it's just like, MyPlayer & all my teammates are worse and the AI drills a contested jumper after dribbling for 23 seconds on every possession.

Plus my guy moves like he's on ice and it seems to increase the game's tendency to outright ignore whatever buttons I'm pressing - these things already happened but it really seems like the main thing the higher difficulty does is make them more rampant. Maybe I'm just crazy? Like, I'm defending a guy and I know he's about to cut to the basket so I start sprinting towards the basket. But nope. Sprint+move is now the "stand there and let Gerald loving Henderson throw down vicious dunks" button. Unless I'm trying to run over and contest a shot, because then suddenly sprint+move turns into the "run 10 feet past that guy and into the broadcasting table" button :waycool: Guess it's just time to go back to posting triple-doubles every game on Pro

The learning curve at all-pro is tough but you get used to it after a few games. One trick is to be a lot more conservative on defense, focus less on completely shutting down your man and more on closing off the easy shots.

I know what your talking about regarding the "button doesn't respond" thing, I dunno what to say about that. Simulating bad situational awareness?

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

Lockback posted:

The learning curve at all-pro is tough but you get used to it after a few games. One trick is to be a lot more conservative on defense, focus less on completely shutting down your man and more on closing off the easy shots.

Cool, thanks for the tips on D. Makes sense to try and play it more realistically - I always try and guard everyone on my side of the court (which works on Pro!) so that's probably the issue...

quote:

I know what your talking about regarding the "button doesn't respond" thing, I dunno what to say about that. Simulating bad situational awareness?

That's what I'm thinking too, but it's still annoying. It's like, I can simulate my own bad situational awareness because I'm a big idiot, don't need any extra help there!

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Higher difficulties are an exercise in tedium, to win a game on HoF I have to play hero ball every single game

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I find that when it comes to MyCareer, I play on a difficulty that works for what team I'm playing for. I'm currently a 91 SG on the Thunder with KD and Westbrook, and I'm still only playing on superstar. The previous season I was on the Suns and playing on All Star allowed us to be competitive with the great teams and roll the teams you'd expect us to.

Basically play on the difficulty that best matches not only your skill, but that of your team. If I was on the sixers I'd probably be on Pro

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Higher difficulties are an exercise in tedium

I find this is true with a lot of video games.

This is a good point, I'll definitely just be messing around with the difficulty until I strike a good balance. MyPlayer is a 97 overall SF so he should be okay :v:

I knocked it back down to Pro for Game 4 of the ECF (my Wizards against Charlotte, they somehow beat the #1 seed Kyrie/Lebron/Love/Asik Cavs who went 75-7 in the season) just to close them out real quick, then bumped it up to All-Star (the one right above Pro) for Game 1 of the Finals against the Warriors and...we won by 40 points. Might need to bump it up again.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My Career's SF just went from Eric Gordon's unbelievably terrible voice acting to JJ Reddick's surprisingly great voice acting. I might never leave this team just because the cut scenes are tolerable now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do the voice actor players just never get traded?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I was wondering that. They're pretty vague when they talk about their teams during the cut scene so I bet they can get traded.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I cannot find a team I'm satisfied playing with, whats a good PG team?

yo5ty
Jun 12, 2007
I remember the rookie draft in MyGM mode in 2k14 (I have it on ps4, not sure if this bug was for all platforms) was horribly bugged and teams would just select Shooting Guards until they ran out of those before drafting in a some what logical order.

Any weird bugs like this in this years addition?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

yo5ty posted:

I remember the rookie draft in MyGM mode in 2k14 (I have it on ps4, not sure if this bug was for all platforms) was horribly bugged and teams would just select Shooting Guards until they ran out of those before drafting in a some what logical order.

Any weird bugs like this in this years addition?

IcePhoenix posted:

Hey Glumslinger I found a pretty huge oversight: during the draft in GM mode if you go to "propose trade" there's no way for you to add players that were just drafted, though the AI teams can offer them/ask for them.

Also the first draft was hilarious, SG is so bad throughout the league that there were SGs going off the board with mid second round grades in the lottery. Seven of the first eight picks were SGs :laugh:

(they have since fixed this)

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I cannot find a team I'm satisfied playing with, whats a good PG team?

After the first season I went with Houston, but I was after the team I could get the most assists on, not sure what your goal is. I was disappointed in Howard on offense, he misses some easy ones, but Ariza and Harden are open at the 3pt line a lot and are pretty accurate. I also tend to be open for 3s a bunch too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The more I play this game the more I realize how ridiculously bad it is. Some of this is inexcusable.

Your teammates' AI is on a third grade level. I just had a game in MyCareer where we were up 12 points against the Grizzlies then the next four shots my teammates took hit the back or side of the backboard. That's not hyperbole. They literally marched the ball downcourt four times in a row, Redick took a shot from behind the backboard and hit it, then Griffin took a shot from the baseline behind the backboard and hit the side of it, then Redick took it again, drove it under the basket, and hit the backboard, then CP3 tries driving it in, goes behind the backboard, and hits it. Four times in a row. Every single time I was wide open at the top of the key jamming A and getting ignored. I wouldn't mind this except that you can't leave a CPU player open at all on the arc because the opposing team will pass it to them every time without fail. They'll give up easy paint shots just to toss it back to a wide open guy on the arc, yet your teammate AI doesn't do this at all. And don't get me started on the lob passes the Clippers do six or seven times a game. I've played 20 games with that squad so far and only seen one actually get completed while the rest clank off players heads while they stand around confused or go straight out of bounds. Then there's little poo poo like your teammates always shooting the ball when there's 3 seconds left in the quarter. It doesn't matter where they are, they'll jack the shot with 3 seconds left. This absolutely kills comeback chances as they make no attempt to get closer to the basket and will just jack it from half court even though you have ample time to bring it to the arc.

Then on defense your guys are completely lost. They'll swap for no reason or foul for no reason. I had great defense on Kawhi, he drove into the paint, I jump and block him, and there's a foul call on CP3 because he reached in for no reason while Kawhi was jumping. This happens way too many times for it to be circumstantial.

The game is also completely predictable as to if shots go in or not. If you're up by 8 to 12ish points your next shot will miss no matter what. The defense will do some weird rubber band spiderman poo poo to get in front of your shot or you'll just plain miss a wide open shot. You can also predict rebounds. I'm averaging 15 boards a game on my SF because I know when the computer is going to miss. Like you can triple team a guy when the CPU is down 8 points and he'll still bank it in, but if the CPU is completely unbelievably wide open he'll clank the shot every single time without fail. If the game is close with a minute left and the CPU has to start intentionally fouling, you will never, ever bring down a board. Your entire team will fight you for it which is weird considering your teammates just let you have every rebound prior to that.

Ignoring the really obvious gameplay flaws, the actual game itself is terribly optimized. I have a pretty good computer for video games but I have to turn this down to the lowest settings to play it, and even then the game stutters and stops a lot. There's loading screens for loading screens. I timed it today and it took 3 minutes after booting the program to actually get into a game of basketball, and even that is broken up by unnecessary cut scenes that you can't skip and a load of extra trash that 2K put in in between quarters and half times. Loads of people can't even play online because the game automatically switches to keyboard setup when you go into a game. Not prior to the game, mind you, as you can walk around MyPark or go through the Versus loading screens with your controller working, but then the second you get into the game it switches to keyboard and gives you no option to go back. You can't save sliders for AI or custom game settings because the game reverts to default after every single game and every single time you load the program. There's also a weird bug in MyGM and MyLeague where your league settings will revert randomly. Like you can have MyLeague set to a 27 game season with 1 game playoffs, then something will happen and it will revert to 82 game seasons with 7 game playoffs. This has been in the PC version for years now and it seems like they're making no attempt to fix it.

If I could I would return this game. I really don't recommend anyone buying it if you think you should get it for Christmas. I don't know how it plays on Xbox or Playstation but the PC version is still just completely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

The game is also completely predictable as to if shots go in or not. If you're up by 8 to 12ish points your next shot will miss no matter what.

If you miss when you are up by 8 how are you ever getting to 12? It sounds like you are saying "in the 3 or 4 possessions you go through to get from 8 to 12 points you are probably going to miss at least one shot" which sounds like normal basketball? You don't score on every possession. Basketball is a game of runs, and when you go on a run its likely it'll end and the other team will come-back somewhat. That happens in every NBA game, its very rare for a team to dominate every minute of the game. In the NBA sometimes players miss wide-open shots. Sometimes guys get rebounds that bounce their way. Its weird when these things happen in Video Games people get all mad.

I play on PS4, but I'm guessing the code is the same. Alley-oops are pretty easy, you have to make sure they are going to the right kind of guy at the right time, don't try to force it.

• Locked thread